Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839 LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Dude, I feel the same way it is so refreshing to see my boy getting some simple love.

Batman can be driven and still live a happy life and die peacefully; he doesn't have to die in a torturous way.

I honestly feel like once this is over and they release a King Omni it is going to be glorious. A true story.
    King Omni, we want it! Though would we need two? Morrison got 3, so maybe they'd need to split it up.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    King Omni, we want it! Though would we need two? Morrison got 3, so maybe they'd need to split it up.
    Yeah I can imagine it being 4 -5 volumes, but it will be so worth it.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I actually disagree - I think the fragmentation works pretty smoothly, once you realize the period cues - primarily Joker and Selina's costumes. But I also adore Priest's writing, which is much the same, though with black box panels giving you more cues.

The idea of the King Future being a Happy Bruce - the kind of Bruce that Snyder likes to slaughter viciously with Batman Who Laughs, where Bruce is just a guy who loves his wife and family and dies in bed - I know that doesn't seem super exciting, but it's a well earned reward, and I'm deeply curious to see more of it.
    I don't even like King's run and I loved that annual issue. It's a solid ending for Batman.

Yeah I can imagine it being 4 -5 volumes, but it will be so worth it.
    A king omni would not need to be that big lol. 2 vol max... Morrison was on batman for 7 years and that's 3 (really beautiful) omnibus .

Also, read this issue...I don't get what you guys are seeing. It was ...ok... The main bat book was better (that art was gorgeous)

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    A king omni would not need to be that big lol. 2 vol max... Morrison was on batman for 7 years and that's 3 (really beautiful) omnibus .

Also, read this issue...I don't get what you guys are seeing. It was ...ok... The main bat book was better (that art was gorgeous)
    King will have written a 100 issues of Batman by the time Bat/Cat is over.

Do you really think that DC would release a 2 volume omni series that will have nearly 50 issues each?
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 12-02-2020 at 03:10 AM.

I actually disagree - I think the fragmentation works pretty smoothly, once you realize the period cues - primarily Joker and Selina's costumes.
    I think its not that it is hard to follow or understand in what order events are happening, but that it doesn't really add anything to the story.

Morrison's omnis are about 25 issues each. With 100 odd issues, King would need at least 3, if not four.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I think its not that it is hard to follow or understand in what order events are happening, but that it doesn't really add anything to the story.
    That is a fair critique. I like how it works organically, but I don't yet see how it all plays together. I am pretty sure it will, though, given how much that has played into his past work.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Mighty Member

Omnibus thoughts: I think three volumes would be best, and include a very expansive idea of what should be included. Rebirth through War of Jokes and Riddles (w/all of Monster Men and the Button), Rules of Engagement through Tyrant's Wing + The Price + Elmer Fudd, then Knightmares through CoB + Bat/Cat and all the Anniversary/80th shorts.

I'm picking up my copy of Bat/Cat tomorrow, so hopefully I have positive thoughts about that then!
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Incredible Member

Something I've come to realize about King's work on Batman and (possibly) a few of his other work.

You sort of have to take your time to read each issue. Sometimes it may take multiple reads.

My first thought on this was - pretty art, but why are the timelines being blended together on the page with no (clear) indication of whether it's past, present or future? What's going on exactly? That's annoying!

Having read it again - thought ok, it's not a big deal. There are subtle tells that indicate the timeline, the choice of merging timelines on a single page is a storytelling choice but not enough to rate this book "crap" or some similar description.

As I'm treating this as a standalone tale with "nods" to past issues/moments... the premise is intriguing and as such, I'll stick to reading for now. Despite the fact I hated over 70% of his run on Batman.

I hope King got wind of the unanimous dislike of the use of "Bat" and "Cat" and he keeps it out of this as much as possible. He already dropped one in there...

One last thing - WHY, for all that is Holy, do they insist on using the Joker? While he wasn't offensive in this issue I'm just so damn tired of seeing him. Suffering from Joker-fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    Omnibus thoughts: I think three volumes would be best, and include a very expansive idea of what should be included. Rebirth through War of Jokes and Riddles (w/all of Monster Men and the Button), Rules of Engagement through Tyrant's Wing + The Price + Elmer Fudd, then Knightmares through CoB + Bat/Cat and all the Anniversary/80th shorts.

I'm picking up my copy of Bat/Cat tomorrow, so hopefully I have positive thoughts about that then!
    I think that given how Morrison's got 25 issues each, I'd really like to see King get 25 issues each and get 4 volumes, too. But there is precedent for longer Omnis, with Batman Eternal, with 53 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    Something I've come to realize about King's work on Batman and (possibly) a few of his other work.

You sort of have to take your time to read each issue. Sometimes it may take multiple reads.

My first thought on this was - pretty art, but why are the timelines being blended together on the page with no (clear) indication of whether it's past, present or future? What's going on exactly? That's annoying!

Having read it again - thought ok, it's not a big deal. There are subtle tells that indicate the timeline, the choice of merging timelines on a single page is a storytelling choice but not enough to rate this book "crap" or some similar description.

As I'm treating this as a standalone tale with "nods" to past issues/moments... the premise is intriguing and as such, I'll stick to reading for now. Despite the fact I hated over 70% of his run on Batman.

I hope King got wind of the unanimous dislike of the use of "Bat" and "Cat" and he keeps it out of this as much as possible. He already dropped one in there...

One last thing - WHY, for all that is Holy, do they insist on using the Joker? While he wasn't offensive in this issue I'm just so damn tired of seeing him. Suffering from Joker-fatigue.
    Very interesting thoughts! I completely agree about the need for rereading. I personally think King is using the Joker because he hasn't really used Joker that much himself, and is curious about using him in a major way. Plus, it's a clear tie-in to Phantasm.

Incredible Member

I think that given how Morrison's got 25 issues each, I'd really like to see King get 25 issues each and get 4 volumes, too. But there is precedent for longer Omnis, with Batman Eternal, with 53 issues.

Very interesting thoughts! I completely agree about the need for rereading. I personally think King is using the Joker because he hasn't really used Joker that much himself, and is curious about using him in a major way. Plus, it's a clear tie-in to Phantasm.
    Fair points, the latter moreso.
    Guess it's more a pet peeve.
    Like - The Joker...again?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    Fair points, the latter moreso.
    Guess it's more a pet peeve.
    Like - The Joker...again?
    I definitely get the exhaustion. We have just had Three Jokers, Joker War, not to mention Batman Who Laughs all over the place.

But King's Joker reads differently to me, so it doesn't feel like the same thing.

King will have written a 100 issues of Batman by the time Bat/Cat is over.

Do you really think that DC would release a 2 volume omni series that will have nearly 50 issues each?

Well I don't think they will release one at all tbh. I don't think it will sell well. I have all the rebirth deluxe editions and I don't see how they can approve on those ( i really like four and five as I like the matted paper better, colours pop better and no finger prints) The reason certain omnibus sell well is because content in it hasn't been collected before or it's only been out out in trade paperbacks/standard hard covers and people want it all in one spot or bigger.

Tom kings run is too divisive and recent. Maybe in 10 years or more. To be clear I don't hate his run, in fact im glad it happened. It was different and unique.it wasn't all " rah rah batman smash and outsmart everyone" He did things I never saw before. Some of it was bad but some of it was really great. I think it will stand the test of time and I do think it will be reviewed retroactively positively.
    Last edited by Bad Witch; 12-02-2020 at 11:31 AM.

Well I don't think they will release one at all tbh. I don't think it will sell well. I have all the rebirth deluxe editions and I don't see how they can approve on those ( i really like four and five as I like the matted paper better, colours pop better and no finger prints) The reason certain omnibus sell well is because content in it hasn't been collected before or it's only been out out in trade paperbacks/standard hard covers and people want it all in one spot or bigger.

Tom kings run is too divisive and recent. Maybe in 10 years or more. To be clear I don't hate his run, in fact im glad it happened. It was different and unique.it wasn't all " rah rah batman smash and outsmart everyone" He did things I never saw before. Some of it was bad but some of it was really great. I think it will stand the test of time and I do think it will be reviewed retroactively positively.
    You have a very good point on the Deluxe Editions, though the way they're collecting is going to leave The Fall and the Fallen out - it will skip from Knightmares straight to City of Bane Deluxe. Odd.

I also hope that in several years, King's run will be looked back on, and maybe discovered by new fans, as something apart from all the memes and frustration.

Mighty Member

You have a very good point on the Deluxe Editions, though the way they're collecting is going to leave The Fall and the Fallen out - it will skip from Knightmares straight to City of Bane Deluxe. Odd.

I also hope that in several years, King's run will be looked back on, and maybe discovered by new fans, as something apart from all the memes and frustration.
    DC is . . . re-trenching? re-orienting? re-screwing up? . . . their collected line right now, and has queued up No Man's Land (probably 2x omnis, more if they back fill Contagion/Legacy as a Before NML) and by Snyder (probably 2*?) omnis, plus Dark Nights: Metal is due for a big omni in there, somewhere, too, that I expect DC will feel mostly tapped on Batman omnis through 2022 (unless they decide to massively increase their output, which I support wholeheartedly). I assume with that much distance, plus the likelihood of at least two more big hit books by Tom King by then, they'll put out the start of By Tom King omnis around 2023.

Everyone please save this prediction and throw it in my face when it's wrong

*One Snyder and Capullo to do the rest of Batman + Last Knight on Earth and one for Black Mirror/BWL/ASB/and the Signal
    Blue text denotes sarcasm