Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
This is one of my favorite aspects of King's run. I love that King's Batman is honest about what's he willing to do to achieve his goals, going back to his speech to Catwoman in Arkham. Agreed that Bane's rage is sincere--even if we argue it was an act on his part, he'd still be pissed that Batman would have taken his only chance at peace without a second thought. And King further exploits one of Bane's most appealing traits, his tragic origin. From birth his only options were to die or become a monster. Batman still has to stop him but there's a sadness about the whole thing.
Yes, and I think, deliberated or not, that Bane has that similarity with how Selina describes her childhood to Bruce. Bane and Selina didn't have that first part where they were meant to be something. Their origin pretty much prepared them to be forgotten under the foot of the privileged or corrupted. They had to build up themselves from nothing, while Bruce always had people surrounding him, like Leslie and Alfred, and money, a name, etcetera, which made his path to construct the man he wanted to become easier, as he could pay for his travels and studies (which doesn't mean that his path was easy, on the contrary. But he had the tools to make it possible)