Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Default Tom King Batman: Reread & Bat/Cat Appreciation 2020

Last thread: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...00#post4750800

Happy 2020! We're hoping to get started on our reread of King's Batman run soon, so let's get things going here.

Because the last thread rules weren't quite as clear as I hoped, this is explicitly a thread which runs on Appreciation Thread rules. Posts that are ONLY criticism, bashing, hate for King and/or his Batman work are not allowed. Criticism is allowed. This is not a positive-only thread. But it is required that if you post here, you not come only to post negatively about King's Batman run.

Reread Schedule:

Jan 8: Rebirth, I Am Gotham (Rebirth, 1-6) (Optional: Night of the Monster Men)

Jan 15: I Am Suicide, Rooftops (9-15)

Jan 22: I Am Bane (16-20)

Jan 29: The Button, The Brave and the Mold, Every Epilogue is a Prelude, Good Boy, Pway For Me (21-24, Annual #1, Batman/Elmer Fudd #1)

Feb 5: The War of Jokes and Riddles (25-32)

Feb 12: Rules of Engagement, First Dates Last Rites, Superfriends A (33-37, Annual #2)

Feb 19: The Origin of Bruce Wayne, Superfriends B, Everyone Loves Ivy (38-43)

Feb 26: Bride or Burglar, Your Big Day, The Best Man, The Wedding (44-50, DC Nation #0) (Optional: Preludes to the Wedding)

Mar 4: Cold Days, The Better Man, Beasts of Burden (51-57)

Mar 11: The Tyrant Wing, True Strength (58-60, Secret Files #1) (Optional: Annual #3)

Mar 18 and March 25: Knightmares (61-63, 66-69) (Optional: Heroes in Crisis, The Price)

April 1: The Fall and the Fallen, Everyday (70-74, Annual #4) (Optional: Secret Files #2)

April 8: City of Bane, Batman's Greatest Case (75-85, Tec 1000)

Come on in, the water's fine!

Last edited by millernumber1; 04-01-2020 at 08:24 AM.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Mighty Member

In last year's thread, we discussed the re-read having something of a "chunk" format - something like once a week (or so) we'd discuss a storyline or storylines from King's run. This is the provisional list of chunks with the indented material underneath being optional (granted, all of this is optional, but you get the idea).

The optional material is somewhat expansive by design - that way, if someone sees a connection between the main run and something else DC published, it gives a specific place to discuss that material. I don't think we'll let it get too far afield (e.g. Metal, Tynion's run on 'Tec, etc.), but if there's something you think should be included, shout it out and name where it should go and I can update the reading list. Also, once we get going, I'll update this post w/the timeline for re-reading

*Rebirth, I Am Gotham (1-8)
    *Night of the Monster Men

*I Am Suicide, Rooftops, I Am Bane (9-20)

*The Button, Brave and the Mold, Proposal (21-24)
    *Annual 1, Batman vs Elmer Fudd

*War of Joke and Riddles (25-32)

*Rules of Engagement, Superfriends, Origin of Bruce Wayne (33-40)
    *Annual 2

*Everyone Loves Ivy, The Gift, Best Man, Wedding (41-50)
    *DC Nation

*Cold Days, Beast of Burden, Tyrant’s Wing (51-60, 64,65)
    *Secret Files 1, The Price, Heroes in Crisis

*Knightmares, The Fall and the Fallen (61-63, 66-74)
    *Annual 3

*City of Bane (75-85)
    *Annual 4, Secret Files 2, Detective Comics 1000
    Last edited by bob.schoonover; 01-01-2020 at 08:08 PM.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    In last year's thread, we discussed the re-read having something of a "chunk" format - something like once a week (or so) we'd discuss a storyline or storylines from King's run. This is the provisional list of chunks with the indented material underneath being optional (granted, all of this is optional, but you get the idea).

The optional material is somewhat expansive by design - that way, if someone sees a connection between the main run and something else DC published, it gives a specific place to discuss that material. I don't think we'll let it get too far afield (e.g. Metal, Tynion's run on 'Tec, etc.), but if there's something you think should be included, shout it out and name where it should go and I can update the reading list. Also, once we get going, I'll update this post w/the timeline for re-reading
    So, that would take us about nine weeks, putting us about end of February. I was hoping to schedule such that we could make it about to the end of March, since we know Bat/Cat isn't starting until at least April (though I'm currently thinking June, just because I'm a pessimist).

How would this sound to people?

Jan 8: Rebirth, I Am Gotham (Rebirth, 1-6) (Optional: Night of the Monster Men)

Jan 15: I Am Suicide, Rooftops (9-15)

Jan 22: I Am Bane (16-20)

Jan 29: The Button, The Brave and the Mold, Every Epilogue is a Prelude, Good Boy, Pway For Me (21-24, Annual #1, Batman/Elmer Fudd #1)

Feb 5: The War of Jokes and Riddles (25-32)

Feb 12: Rules of Engagement, First Dates Last Rites, Superfriends A (33-37, Annual #2)

Feb 19: The Origin of Bruce Wayne, Superfriends B, Everyone Loves Ivy (38-43)

Feb 26: Bride or Burglar, Your Big Day, The Best Man, The Wedding (44-50, DC Nation #0) (Optional: Preludes to the Wedding)

Mar 4: Cold Days, The Better Man, Beasts of Burden (51-57)

Mar 11: The Tyrant Wing, True Strength (58-60, Secret Files #1) (Optional: Annual #3)

Mar 18: Knightmares (61-63, 66-69) (Optional: Heroes in Crisis, The Price)

Mar 25: The Fall and the Fallen, Everyday (70-74, Annual #4) (Optional: Secret Files #2)

April 1: City of Bane, Batman's Greatest Case (75-85, Tec 1000)
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

I'm down with this. Been wanting to reread it in its entirety. Also - I've never opened any of the single issues I've collected (read everything digitally), and I think I'm going to finally crack some pages this go round.
    Pulling:
    Batman, Detective Comics, The Sentry, Mister Miracle, Venom

So January 8th is the day we can start talking about "I am Gotham"?
    Pulling:

Quote Originally Posted by thefiresky View Post
    So January 8th is the day we can start talking about "I am Gotham"?
    That'd be my plan - what do other think of the proposed schedules - any changes you think we should do?

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    That'd be my plan - what do other think of the proposed schedules - any changes you think we should do?
    Nah, sounds good to me.
    Pulling: