Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

So, here's my suggestion: we have likely another 6 months at least until we even start getting Bat/Cat (since Tom King is just starting to work on issue #5 now, per his DCUniverse interview). I've been wanting to do a full Grayson reread (which is more than just the Grayson material - it includes Nightwing #30, the issues written by Tim Seeley in Batman and Robin Eternal, and a couple of other appearances). Is anyone interested in this Tom King Batman-esque diversion here, or would you prefer I start a new thread for it? I kinda doubt we'll get a ton of traffic until the announcement of Bat/Cat, which is why I propose it here, but it's up to you, my fellow Tom King Batman appreciators!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    So, here's my suggestion: we have likely another 6 months at least until we even start getting Bat/Cat (since Tom King is just starting to work on issue #5 now, per his DCUniverse interview). I've been wanting to do a full Grayson reread (which is more than just the Grayson material - it includes Nightwing #30, the issues written by Tim Seeley in Batman and Robin Eternal, and a couple of other appearances). Is anyone interested in this Tom King Batman-esque diversion here, or would you prefer I start a new thread for it? I kinda doubt we'll get a ton of traffic until the announcement of Bat/Cat, which is why I propose it here, but it's up to you, my fellow Tom King Batman appreciators!
    I don’t mind if it’s done in a new thread or just posted here. I’m not sure if I’m going to be able to tag along the re-reading, but I certainly can comment with my memories of those stories, especially Grayson, that I have read it twice
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Mighty Member

I'd do a Grayson re-read. The omnibus is sitting not 8 feet from me right now. I vote leave it in this thread, but let people in the Dick Grayson Appreciation thread know we transitioned here.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I don’t mind if it’s done in a new thread or just posted here. I’m not sure if I’m going to be able to tag along the re-reading, but I certainly can comment with my memories of those stories, especially Grayson, that I have read it twice
    Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    I'd do a Grayson re-read. The omnibus is sitting not 8 feet from me right now. I vote leave it in this thread, but let people in the Dick Grayson Appreciation thread know we transitioned here.
    Awesome! I'll see if I can get the schedule posted up this weekend, and then start next Wednesday!

And, of course, the thread is still open for Batman comments!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I've reread issues 45- 51 and still think King's Batman says more about him and how he views relationships than it says about Batman. Why does DC/King not want happy and driven Batman? Without artists like Lee Weeks... put Scott McDaniel on art and see how well King fares.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I've reread issues 45- 51 and still think King's Batman says more about him and how he views relationships than it says about Batman. Why does DC/King not want happy and driven Batman?
    He's married with three kids. I think he knows how to have a happy relationship.

Not to mention, if his views on relationships are negative, explain how he excellently portrayed the loving relationship between Scott and Barda in Mister Miracle.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Astonishing Member

Dose anyone know when or if batman/catwoman is coming out ?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Dose anyone know when or if batman/catwoman is coming out ?
    Wondering the same thing. I'd really like to see it someday, considering how it's been a year since it was announced.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    Wondering the same thing. I'd really like to see it someday, considering how it's been a year since it was announced.
    King consistently says that he's working on it, and Clay Mann is working on it, but given how slow Mann tends to be, I think they want to avoid a Doomsday Clock situation. Though they have already kinda created one for themselves.

Incredible Member

King consistently says that he's working on it, and Clay Mann is working on it, but given how slow Mann tends to be, I think they want to avoid a Doomsday Clock situation. Though they have already kinda created one for themselves.
    It's turning into a mythical unicorn promise at this point.

Let's hope it doesn't become a Three Joker situation for avoiding a Doomsday Clock case. In all seriousness, I'd rather the team takes its time to prepare the comic and have it released monthly than to be pending in constantly changing release schedules, so I don't have a hurry yet for the comic to be released
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I wish King had been able to stay on as the regular Batman writer until at least #100, in line with his original plans.

The 100 issue plan seems to be the casualty of behind the scenes stuff, maybe involving 5G, which itself might have been canceled before it began? But for sure the Rebirth stuff, which was...weird. Clearly it was set in motion with the intention of folding the stuff they wanted to keep from New 52 back into post-Crisis continuity, with Wally as the focus. And then...other stuff happened?

Also wondering if 5G potentially getting canceled will require changes to Bat/Cat? Because my own best guess is that since DC was supposedly going to age Bruce Wayne out of the role they were okay with things they might not be as okay with now?

At any rate, Batman Annual #2 is one of my absolute favorite Batman stories, so I'm looking forward to the series when it comes out.
    Last edited by David Walton; 05-19-2020 at 03:16 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I wish King had been able to stay on as the regular Batman writer until at least #100, in line with his original plans.

The 100 issue plan seems to be the casualty of behind the scenes stuff, maybe involving 5G, which itself might have been canceled before it began? But for sure the Rebirth stuff, which was...weird. Clearly it was set in motion with the intention of folding the stuff they wanted to keep from New 52 back into post-Crisis continuity, with Wally as the focus. And then...other stuff happened?

Also wondering if 5G potentially getting canceled will require changes to Bat/Cat? Because my own best guess is that since DC was supposedly going to age Bruce Wayne out of the role they were okay with things they might not be as okay with now?

At any rate, Batman Annual #2 is one of my absolute favorite Batman stories, so I'm looking forward to the series when it comes out.
    I'm wondering that as well. I will be so pissed if we never get this.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    I'm wondering that as well. I will be so pissed if we never get this.
    I think we shouldn't borrow trouble. Everything King and Mann have said expresses confidence that it will come out, and they are working as hard as they can on it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    He's married with three kids. I think he knows how to have a happy relationship.

Not to mention, if his views on relationships are negative, explain how he excellently portrayed the loving relationship between Scott and Barda in Mister Miracle.
    Yeah, I don’t blame King for this. It’s really DC for wanting the status quo to be kept and them hyping up something they knew wasn’t gonna happen for the sake of sales (like any other company). I don’t think you need to be married to be happy but it could’ve been a nice bit of development. But I was more upset at the reason for the cancellation rather than the actual event.