Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Huh. Some interesting tidbits.

- He doesn’t know when BatCat is coming out, but just finished issue 4.
    - Mann is taking his time to make sure it’s perfect.
    - Jim Lee is doing variant covers.
    - Admits he “didn’t do right by” Holly, after completely forgetting her name lol.
    - BatCat (+ SA, and an unannounced series) will be about fate, murder mysteries, and paying for your crimes.
    - BatCat will be 22 pages.
    - Has the same tone as Annual #2.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I just want this book so much. The Annual was one of my very favorite books of the run, and I want a whole 12 issues of that. I will be very interested to see if people like the detective stuff.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    Huh. Some interesting tidbits.

- He doesn’t know when BatCat is coming out, but just finished issue 4.
    - Mann is taking his time to make sure it’s perfect.
    - Jim Lee is doing variant covers.
    - Admits he “didn’t do right by” Holly, after completely forgetting her name lol.
    - BatCat (+ SA, and an unannounced series) will be about fate, murder mysteries, and paying for your crimes.
    - BatCat will be 22 pages.
    - Has the same tone as Annual #2.
    22 pages doesn't sound like a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I just want this book so much. The Annual was one of my very favorite books of the run, and I want a whole 12 issues of that. I will be very interested to see if people like the detective stuff.
    Hic was supposed to be a mystery wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    22 pages doesn't sound like a lot.
    It's more than 20.

I think so. Which is why I'm curious about how that will go.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

It's more than 20.

I think so. Which is why I'm curious about how that will go.
    I thought it was going to be a few issues which is why I'm surprised. 22 pages sounds like one book to me or did he means 22 pages per issue?

I thought it was going to be a few issues which is why I'm surprised. 22 pages sounds like one book to me or did he means 22 pages per issue?
    22 pages per issue, rather than 20 which is sometimes the norm.

22 pages per issue, rather than 20 which is sometimes the norm.
    oh right. That makes more sense

Mighty Member

If one is inclined to be charitable to King about HiC, there are some indications that there were behind the scenes changes to the story, so hopefully that's not indicative of what he thinks a mystery should be.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    If one is inclined to be charitable to King about HiC, there are some indications that there were behind the scenes changes to the story, so hopefully that's not indicative of what he thinks a mystery should be.
    Please tell me more about these indications

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Please tell me more about these indications
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/12...mageddon-2001/

I'd start there (and links therein). Then look at how the story focus changed after issue 2 (the Puddlers and Barry/Bruce stuff just ... stopped). Add in that the ending was supposed to set up Wally in the new Suicide Squad
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/06...d-comic-plans/

And yes, BC gets it wrong sometimes, but I think they got this one right

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I haven't read Heroes in Crisis yet. But given King's work on The Vision, Mister Miracle, and Batman, I'm willing to cut him slack on a few stories that may or may not measure up (like I said, I haven't read it so no judgment there).

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I haven't read Heroes in Crisis yet. But given King's work on The Vision, Mister Miracle, and Batman, I'm willing to cut him slack on a few stories that may or may not measure up (like I said, I haven't read it so no judgment there).
    Yeah, that's my attitude. I only read HiC because King was writing it (the story didn't really interest me much), and it disappointed, but he's still a good writer. I think I prefer to think that some of the shortcomings were due to exogenous circumstances (see my post above) than that he just forgot how to craft a story for a few months.

As to the current set of bat-stories we're talking about, Claire just continues to perplex me. I think there's a very easy surface story there, but Claire in #24 doesn't seem like a person that would willingly be part of a plot that involved killing her parents, the inadvertent (from her POV) death of her brother, joining up with Bane, etc. And if she is that person, what was going on in Arkham with Psycho Pirate and Alfred? King may or may not get to it in BatCat, but it just seems off that she gets so easily off the hook at the end w/o any explication of what she did or didn't do of her own free will, what part of the plot she was in on, etc.

I enjoy The Button, but man did DC drop the ball on it mattering to the rest of the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    Yeah, that's my attitude. I only read HiC because King was writing it (the story didn't really interest me much), and it disappointed, but he's still a good writer. I think I prefer to think that some of the shortcomings were due to exogenous circumstances (see my post above) than that he just forgot how to craft a story for a few months.

As to the current set of bat-stories we're talking about, Claire just continues to perplex me. I think there's a very easy surface story there, but Claire in #24 doesn't seem like a person that would willingly be part of a plot that involved killing her parents, the inadvertent (from her POV) death of her brother, joining up with Bane, etc. And if she is that person, what was going on in Arkham with Psycho Pirate and Alfred? King may or may not get to it in BatCat, but it just seems off that she gets so easily off the hook at the end w/o any explication of what she did or didn't do of her own free will, what part of the plot she was in on, etc.

I enjoy The Button, but man did DC drop the ball on it mattering to the rest of the universe.
    As I've said, I actually like HiC, but I think it probably shouldn't have been published as is, and I understand why people dislike it so much. It does feel like a lot of stuff went wrong in the way that story got handled by editorial.

Claire's participation, I think, should always be seen with the thought that even before she shows up the first time, she's been caught in Bane's plan, and quite possibly already influenced by Psycho Pirate. It's similar to my reading on Batman's behavior in I Am Gotham - he just put Catwoman in jail on death row, and doesn't understand why everything is going so wrong - so his morbid thoughts about death on the plane aren't "normal" - they're part of his feeling that the world is spiralling out of control - even more than usual for Batman.

I do think we're going to see more about Claire in Bat/Cat - King responded to someone asking about that strange hint she dropped in Batman #5 "after we were married, after I killed Batman" - with an indication that it would be forthcoming in Bat/Cat.

Maybe I was biased because of my character preferences, but the change to the plot about Tim Drake coming back (it was originally supposed to start the process, and Tim is still on the cover of the fourth part of the crossover, but the whole thing was restructured and erased) really makes The Button feel completely pointless. It has a lot more point now that Flashpoint Batman is the Big Bad of King's run, but as a standalone story? Nope.
    It really seemed like lost potential, especially with Flashpoint Batman's involvement. Can't help but think that maybe it was a false start of sorts, with relation to the ending point of Doomsday Clock and the whole way Rebirth was supposed to go. And that 5G was conceived late, leading to it causing all these mix ups.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 02-03-2020 at 12:37 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.