Page 56 of 60 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657585960 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tliscord View Post
    Stubble wasn't even very good. A bit thin and sparse.

I agree, little emotional connection for me too, as I'm sure for others. Thompson may have hoped their chosen names might engender more sympathy. I think it's interesting she didn't chose say Ivan, or even Clint, and I am relieved neither was "Nicky". Also not sure the end game for this supposed "cabal" of Widow antagonists. Was the elaborate brainwashing and set up a permanent solution to the BW for them? Hard to imagine they thought this wouldn't have eventually been uncovered despite going to great extremes to "introduce" James and Stevie, and creating an enormous fabricated backstory. To what end?

I assume the child was some type of accelerated in vitro fertilization but who or what James may be is a mystery to me. Clone? Of whom? Or someone off the street that just happens to bear resemblance to Bucky?

Have to say the flashback scenes by Gomez were amazing!

Finally, I'm still not loving the Bucky/Clint team up, for some reason. Didn't feel it worked with Tales of Suspense, and I'm slightly bored with it here, even slightly irritated. But we've already touched upon Marvel's struggle writing the Winter Soldier well in earlier posts. Clint alone may have been a better choice. Yes, and maybe if James had been truly Bucky brainwashed (cause that's his never ending story anyway), I might have found the plot more immediate and accessible.
    It does seem rather convoluted to just get her out of the way. And what was with her unknowingly building a bomb despite all of it? I really hope there's an amazing conclusion that brings it all together, 'cause I've definitely been hooked by the story the first three issues, and I'm absolutely in love with the art, but this issue has made me extra nervous about how it's all going to wrap up.

I don't agree James should have been Bucky, though, or anyone we know. This is Natasha's story, and adding another brainwashed big name character in there instantly takes away from that. Personally I think it needed to be someone we would question and be suspicious about in the beginning, that's what grabbed me and had me theorizing, and James fit that bill, but at the same time it made this issue not work for me. IMO it was this issue that was the problem, not the initial setup.

Quote Originally Posted by baxer View Post
    It felt disrespectiful to me and specially to the character. I also think this is a major disservice to Thompson's work, we saw Natasha taking a lot more thugs in a harder situations.
    We would never have this problem with a male character.
    It's not as if Thompson's story doesn't have problematic gender implications, too. You have an independent and strong woman living a life as a superhero and spy, being the best at what she does. Then she gets relegated into a slightly modified male 1950s fantasy as a loving suburbian soon-to-be-wife and mother. And what happens when she discovers she was stuck into this fake life? She acknowledges that fake life, that lasted barely three months, as her true ideal. I thought we had overcome such conservative role models.

Back to Duggan I also didn't like that particular scene but I don't think he's doing Nat disservice overall. Later he shows her giving the big bad of the issue the good old leg scissor takedown treatment and everyone can see that she's perfectly able to get the job done without relying on her looks.

That's more than can be said of Coates' book where she did nothing but get captured and now she's waiting to get saved. Sigh.
    Last edited by chicago_bastard; 12-05-2020 at 05:59 AM.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

I think you’re spot on here. No way to spin this that doesn’t imply a kind of gratuitous pining for something likely totally foreign and perhaps reprehensible to her. There is an implied bias with this story I didn’t see before.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    It's not as if Thompson's story doesn't have problematic gender implications, too. You have an independent and strong woman living a life as a superhero and spy, being the best at what she does. Then she gets relegated into a slightly modified male 1950s fantasy as a loving suburbian soon-to-be-wife and mother. And what happens when she discovers she was stuck into this fake life? She acknowledges that fake life, that lasted barely three months, as her true ideal. I thought we had overcome such conservative role models.
    Thats a stretch. She was hardly a Stepford wife in the fake life, and the idea that she would want a family is not egregious or offensive.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 12-05-2020 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Thats a stretch. She was hardly a Stepford wife in the fake life, and the idea that she would want a family is not egregious or offensive.
    Besides it's not like she's had much time to like process anything at all yet. It would have been weirder if she had just immediately been like "Oh I remember everything, I don't care about you anymore."
    We don't know what she had done with her life if she had the opportunity to sit down and think for a few days.
    I doubt the takeaway here is that Nat would go back to her normal Job and living that picture perfect family life even with her memories intact.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    Besides it's not like she's had much time to like process anything at all yet. It would have been weirder if she had just immediately been like "Oh I remember everything, I don't care about you anymore."
    We don't know what she had done with her life if she had the opportunity to sit down and think for a few days.
    I doubt the takeaway here is that Nat would go back to her normal Job and living that picture perfect family life even with her memories intact.
    That i how I saw the scene, she was still "high" from the manipulation. She will have time to reflect about her fake life later

Extraordinary Member

Does anyone have an accurate list of names of the villains from the villain head splash page?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Does anyone have an accurate list of names of the villains from the villain head splash page?
    Moving down the left side from top:

Bullseye - Taskmaster
    Damon Dran - Weeping Lion
    Mandrill - Anya aka Recluse
    Lady Bullseye - Norman Osborn
    Arcade? - Red Skull
    The Hand - Ivan Petrovich
    Elektra

Moving down the right side from top:

Red Guardian - Iron Maiden
    Imus Champion - Ultron
    Baron von Strucker - Kingpin
    No idea
    AIM - Doctor Doom
    Madame Masque
    King Cobra? - Snapdragon

Not sure about Arcade and King Cobra though and still have no clue about the female.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    You are right that it's a bit of a stretch but one has to admit it's at least a bit iffy that Nat claims to truly love that guy she knew for only three months as the result of brainwashing.

Bullseye - Taskmaster
    Arcade? - Red Skull
    Elektra

Imus Champion - Ultron
    No idea
    AIM - Doctor Doom
    Madame Masque
    King Cobra? - Snapdragon

Not sure about Arcade and King Cobra though and still have no clue about the female.
    Oh right now it occured to me that the female in question could be the young version of the original headmistress, Anya's mother. The hairstyle is identical.

Dumb question nevermind.
    Last edited by Seren; 12-05-2020 at 03:48 PM.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

You are right that it's a bit of a stretch but one has to admit it's at least a bit iffy that Nat claims to truly love that guy she knew for only three months as the result of brainwashing.
    I dunno. Her memories are fake but her feelings are not.
    Like if this wasn't comics but any other story I could see her choosing to stay with him and if it's just for their "sons" sake.

In a scenario where that wouldn't put them on the line at least.
    I can totally see where you are coming from but I don't necessarily agree. I've seen much iffier love stories being romanticised if nothing else.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Bullseye - Taskmaster
    Arcade? - Red Skull
    Elektra

Imus Champion - Ultron
    No idea
    AIM - Doctor Doom
    Madame Masque
    King Cobra? - Snapdragon

I'm surprised Elektra was represented there... as far as I know they aren't enemies - in fact, they're working together over in Savage Avengers

Anyway, I finally caught up on this series, and I'm enjoying it overall.

Quote Originally Posted by tsaimelemoni View Post
    I'm surprised Elektra was represented there... as far as I know they aren't enemies - in fact, they're working together over in Savage Avengers

Anyway, I finally caught up on this series, and I'm enjoying it overall.
    I agree that calling them enemies would go too far. But they had a violent encounter in Liu's BW run and most of the times they crossed paths in Daredevil one gets the vibe they don't really like each other. I see them working together in SA more as a partnership of convenience.

That said some of the villains in that panel are a bit questionable. Natasha doesn't really have a rich rogues gallery so they had to stretch it.

BANNED

I dunno. Her memories are fake but her feelings are not.
    Like if this wasn't comics but any other story I could see her choosing to stay with him and if it's just for their "sons" sake.

In a scenario where that wouldn't put them on the line at least.
    I can totally see where you are coming from but I don't necessarily agree. I've seen much iffier love stories being romanticised if nothing else.
    The feelings are kinda of fake too, that wasnt herself. Of course that the kid is her son, so that is different, I think really deep buried she always wanted to be a mother or at least not have been sterilized