Page 1 of 60 123451151 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Default Natasha Romanov: Black Widow Appreciation 2020

Happy 2020! It's time for us to start the thread that will no doubt be the hottest thread of the Marvel boards, the Black Widow Appreciation thread! (because her movie is coming out, and it's about time!)

"We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

To start things off, I'm actually really impressed with Web of Black Widow #5 - Houser gave us four issues that seemed pretty generic, but this fifth issue tied them together quite impressively. And Steven Mooney turned in pretty solid work here! I'm glad I stuck in there.
    Last edited by millernumber1; 01-01-2020 at 09:31 PM.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Happy New Year to the greatest redheaded female spy .

I’m in as well for 2020 with BW.

After that final issue where do we go from here? Still feeling the need for some resolution/decisions about James and Nat. Marvel has played on the periphery of this for way too long.

Happy New Year, my friends.

simoni bianchi BW.jpg
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    To start things off, I'm actually really impressed with Web of Black Widow #5 - Houser gave us four issues that seemed pretty generic, but this fifth issue tied them together quite impressively. And Steven Mooney turned in pretty solid work here! I'm glad I stuck in there.
    Couldn't agree more! I only checked it out because a friend told me to, without telling me what happened and I was very pleasently surprised.
    I guess we were fooled.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

The artwork is awful imo.

Iron Man, Winter Soldier, '70s Captain America, Yelena Belova and Natasha to face a generic Black Widow?

No thanks.
    Last edited by Winterboy; 01-03-2020 at 07:34 AM.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post

Iron Man, Winter Soldier, '70s Captain America, Yelena Belova and Natasha to face a generic Black Widow?

No thanks.
    There were some rough spots. But I prefer it to Nat fighting a generic Black Widow by herself, or fighting faceless badguys by herself.

I really enjoyed this issue! I'm so tired of writers pushing this narrative that Natasha constantly has to do everything alone, that she can't trust anyone and that no one can trust her. I enjoyed the first and third issues quite a bit (there was too much technobabble in the second one that pulled me out of the story), but the fourth one seemed to try to drive that point home, and Clint felt so ooc and cold in how he acted towards Natasha. But then #5 flipped that all on its head and drove home the point instead that she does have friends she can trust who will be there when she needs them, and I loved that.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post

No thanks.
    I think that’s my final take too. Looking back I’ve come to appreciate Daniel Acuna’s work more and more. He had some lovely paintings of her, and some really great close ups. I actually prefer his Widow to Noto’s which surprised me.

Many of the recent runs center around red room history and redemption issues all well and fine but feeling a bit repetitive too. Again going back to Lui’s short run, I enjoyed mixing her back story up up with Imus as the main antagonist who I thought was a terrific villain for her.

The further away from this clone saga the better I feel.

Miss her interactions with the real Fury, but I find her recruitment of Yelena as a nice addition going forward. Liked to see Sharon Carter in a Widow series as well, rather than Maria Hill. A Widow-Carter team up brings two very different but strangely similar spy characters together, perhaps this time returning to Zola and Dimension Z for some over due payback. Or even an arc restoring Fury from the wasteland of Original Sin.

I’ll take a Zdarsky Widow or even Coates run. Both revere that continuity thing a Coates is showing he’s got the voice down for strong women. Not sure what Simone could do with the character but certainly wouldn’t mind a run by her either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sneakronicity View Post
    I really enjoyed this issue! I'm so tired of writers pushing this narrative that Natasha constantly has to do everything alone, that she can't trust anyone and that no one can trust her. I enjoyed the first and third issues quite a bit (there was too much technobabble in the second one that pulled me out of the story), but the fourth one seemed to try to drive that point home, and Clint felt so ooc and cold in how he acted towards Natasha. But then #5 flipped that all on its head and drove home the point instead that she does have friends she can trust who will be there when she needs them, and I loved that.
    Yeah, does seem kind of silly to portray as such a loner. Certainly deserves a strong supporting cast to her book.

Quote Originally Posted by tliscord View Post
    I think that’s my final take too. Looking back I’ve come to appreciate Daniel Acuna’s work more and more. He had some lovely paintings of her, and some really great close ups. I actually prefer his Widow to Noto’s which surprised me.

Many of the recent runs center around red room history and redemption issues all well and fine but feeling a bit repetitive too. Again going back to Lui’s short run, I enjoyed mixing her back story up up with Imus as the main antagonist who I thought was a terrific villain for her.

The further away from this clone saga the better I feel.

Miss her interactions with the real Fury, but I find her recruitment of Yelena as a nice addition going forward. Liked to see Sharon Carter in a Widow series as well, rather than Maria Hill. A Widow-Carter team up brings two very different but strangely similar spy characters together, perhaps this time returning to Zola and Dimension Z for some over due payback. Or even an arc restoring Fury from the wasteland of Original Sin.

I’ll take a Zdarsky Widow or even Coates run. Both revere that continuity thing a Coates is showing he’s got the voice down for strong women. Not sure what Simone could do with the character but certainly wouldn’t mind a run by her either.
    Liu and Acuna series is one of my favorites as well.

Black Cat variant cover...
    BLACK CAT VARIANT COVER.jpg

Last edited by Winterboy; 01-03-2020 at 12:59 PM.

We also have the Gamerverse Marvel's Avengers: Black Widow book. Which at least should have nice art by Michele Bandini!

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    We also have the Gamerverse Marvel's Avengers: Black Widow book. Which at least should have nice art by Michele Bandini!
    Just a sec.

BW CHECK LIST MARCH.jpg
    BW CHECK LIST SOON.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Winterboy; 01-03-2020 at 03:03 PM.