Page 41 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think she gave Catwoman heels too when she was drawing her book, although artists have been kind of inconsistent as to whether Selina's current look has heels or not.

I guess they really went "full classic" with the costume here .
    I think artists generally have a lot of freedom with the interpretation of the heroes outfits.
    That's why widows catsuit sometimes looks like a reasonable (by superhero standards) tactical jumpsuit and sometimes like she's ready to leave and go on a BDSM Latex party any second now. Especially on those Daredevil covers with the zipper aaaaall the way down back then.

I think we are fairly on the middle ground this time around, even with the heels hahaha.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Well classic Widow didn't wear heels either. Doesn't bother me though.

Guess this is one of the books where I can't tell yet if I like it or not. Depends on where they are going from here. The lack of action is a downside for me and looking at the solicits and covers I fear that might continue well into the third issue.

Regarding the Bucky/James discussion: Maybe it's an editorial choice. They count on this run to draw some new readers in due to movie synergy so maybe they want to accommodate them by making 616 Nat a bit more like MCU Nat. They did the same with Tony Stark after the Iron Man movie.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Well classic Widow didn't wear heels either. Doesn't bother me though.
    Yeah, I don't mind it either. It's just kind of noticeable after all these years of shifting to more practical footwear .
    Regarding the Bucky/James discussion: Maybe it's an editorial choice. They count on this run to draw some new readers in due to movie synergy so maybe they want to accommodate them by making 616 Nat a bit more like MCU Nat. They did the same with Tony Stark after the Iron Man movie.
    I could chalk it up that she just publicly calls him "Bucky" so it's not obvious she has her memory back or indicate anything deep about their relationship...but then it gets thrown off when she calls him "Bucky" in her internal narration.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Kinda...irked that Thompson is eschewing immediate Red Room vibes in favor of...amnesia plot. Ugh. Monkey's paw. Liked the art a lot, but Arcade is not an exciting villain to me, even though he does have history with Nat at this point because of her miniseries.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Kinda...irked that Thompson is eschewing immediate Red Room vibes in favor of...amnesia plot. Ugh. Monkey's paw. Liked the art a lot, but Arcade is not an exciting villain to me, even though he does have history with Nat at this point because of her miniseries.
    As Arcade isn't the big bad of the story but only a stooge for the true antagonists I think it's okay.

By the way what miniseries are you referring to? Don't think I read anything from Nat with Arcade in it before.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, I don't mind it either. It's just kind of noticeable after all these years of shifting to more practical footwear .

I could chalk it up that she just publicly calls him "Bucky" so it's not obvious she has her memory back or indicate anything deep about their relationship...but then it gets thrown off when she calls him "Bucky" in her internal narration.
    That could be I suppose, her memory isn't fully intact. I should say that my earlier comment on the series not moving forward pertains to me. There has been a few moments sprinkled in Waid and TOS inferring her memories has returned, particularly with Bucky but nothing more. Just feels unresolved for me.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    As Arcade isn't the big bad of the story but only a stooge for the true antagonists I think it's okay.

By the way what miniseries are you referring to? Don't think I read anything from Nat with Arcade in it before.
    My goof - I was mixing up Amazing Spider-Man: Hunted with Black Widow vol 7.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

I really hope this isn't another Nat is mind-controlled, memory wiped story. Really had enough of them. And if she is a clone of the original, why wouldn't they fix that flaw in her?

Quote Originally Posted by tliscord View Post
    That could be I suppose, her memory isn't fully intact. I should say that my earlier comment on the series not moving forward pertains to me. There has been a few moments sprinkled in Waid and TOS inferring her memories has returned, particularly with Bucky but nothing more. Just feels unresolved for me.
    I think Web of Black Widow made it pretty blatant that she remembered their past together.

While we don't really know where anything is heading in her Solo right now I kinda like to think her walking past a camera was no accident and she used it to get someone on her trail without alerting those watching her that she did it on purpose.

But, you know, hard to say as of yet.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

What books or series would you guys recommend for someone who has never really paid Natasha much mind in the comics? I love a good plot but I have to admit I am a sucker for good (I know this is subjective) art and can overlook a mediocre plot if the pages are nice to look at. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    What books or series would you guys recommend for someone who has never really paid Natasha much mind in the comics? I love a good plot but I have to admit I am a sucker for good (I know this is subjective) art and can overlook a mediocre plot if the pages are nice to look at. Haha.
    It's hard to really get to know Natasha from a single book, but here are some of her most important appearances, in my opinion (in order of when they were published):

1) Tales of Suspense (1964) #52, 53, 57, 60 64 -- Natasha's first appearance as an Iron Man villain, and her backstory with Hawkeye
    2) Avengers (1963) #29-30 -- Natasha reunites with Hawkeye (who's now an Avengers) and switches sides
    3) Avengers (1963) #36-38 -- Natasha almost joins the Avengers, but then she ends up going to SHIELD instead
    4) Avengers Annual (1999) -- This is a Jarvis story, but it includes Natasha. It takes place right after the Avengers all die fighting Onslaught; she was the team leader but she wasn't on the scene when it happens, and she's dealing with survivor's guilt.
    5) Marvel Knights (2000) -- An enjoyable team-up story with Natasha and a bunch of other street-level heroes, where she plays a big role
    6) Daredevil: The Widow -- Daredevil (1998) #61-64 -- The story shows Natasha in both her spy and superhero roles. Art is by Alex Maleev and it's gorgeous and watercolor-y.
    7) Black Widow (2004) -- There are a lot of things I don't love about this story, but it's the source of Natasha's current backstory, so it's kind of an important read, and the art is by Bill Sienkiewicz, so it's amazing.
    8) Black Widow (2010) , aka Black Widow: Name of the Rose -- Art by Daniel Acuna, writing by Marjorie Liu, very good look at what makes Natasha so awesome and badass.
    9) Captain America and Bucky #624 -- Despite its title, this is a Bucky and Black Widow story, with lots of flashbacks to their shared past. Written by Ed Brubaker and Marc Andreyko, art by Chris Samnee. It's adorable, romantic, sad but also optimistic.
    10) Black Widow (2014) -- I don't remember a ton of this, but it kind of revolves around Natasha taking jobs and pushing away from everyone? This is right after her memory was erased in Winter Soldier (2012) (which you might want to read also, she plays a big part in it) so she's a little lost and finding her footing. Art by Phil Noto. Man, does Natasha get some great artists on her runs.
    11) Black Widow (2016) -- Writing by Mark Waid, art by Chris Samnee. The story in itself is standard Black Widow stuff (red room, her past comes back to haunt her, she needs to learn to rely on other people, etc.), but the execution is very good due to the top talent on the book.

I'm missing some stuff from the 70s when she was Daredevil's partner and when she was in the Champions and from the 90s when she led the Avengers, but I think the stuff I recommended gives you a solid base. You don't have to read all of it, and you don't have to read it in order; just pick whatever era/writer/team you like best and give it a shot.

Rumours that Wonder Woman 1984 will be delayed, and that Marvel will consequently delay Black Widow to avoid the films cannibalising each other.
    https://www.cbr.com/wonder-woman-198...ssible-delays/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OOTCS View Post
    It's hard to really get to know Natasha from a single book, but here are some of her most important appearances, in my opinion (in order of when they were published):

1) Tales of Suspense (1964) #52, 53, 57, 60 64 -- Natasha's first appearance as an Iron Man villain, and her backstory with Hawkeye
    2) Avengers (1963) #29-30 -- Natasha reunites with Hawkeye (who's now an Avengers) and switches sides
    3) Avengers (1963) #36-38 -- Natasha almost joins the Avengers, but then she ends up going to SHIELD instead
    4) Avengers Annual (1999) -- This is a Jarvis story, but it includes Natasha. It takes place right after the Avengers all die fighting Onslaught; she was the team leader but she wasn't on the scene when it happens, and she's dealing with survivor's guilt.
    5) Marvel Knights (2000) -- An enjoyable team-up story with Natasha and a bunch of other street-level heroes, where she plays a big role
    6) Daredevil: The Widow -- Daredevil (1998) #61-64 -- The story shows Natasha in both her spy and superhero roles. Art is by Alex Maleev and it's gorgeous and watercolor-y.
    7) Black Widow (2004) -- There are a lot of things I don't love about this story, but it's the source of Natasha's current backstory, so it's kind of an important read, and the art is by Bill Sienkiewicz, so it's amazing.
    8) Black Widow (2010) , aka Black Widow: Name of the Rose -- Art by Daniel Acuna, writing by Marjorie Liu, very good look at what makes Natasha so awesome and badass.
    9) Captain America and Bucky #624 -- Despite its title, this is a Bucky and Black Widow story, with lots of flashbacks to their shared past. Written by Ed Brubaker and Marc Andreyko, art by Chris Samnee. It's adorable, romantic, sad but also optimistic.
    10) Black Widow (2014) -- I don't remember a ton of this, but it kind of revolves around Natasha taking jobs and pushing away from everyone? This is right after her memory was erased in Winter Soldier (2012) (which you might want to read also, she plays a big part in it) so she's a little lost and finding her footing. Art by Phil Noto. Man, does Natasha get some great artists on her runs.
    11) Black Widow (2016) -- Writing by Mark Waid, art by Chris Samnee. The story in itself is standard Black Widow stuff (red room, her past comes back to haunt her, she needs to learn to rely on other people, etc.), but the execution is very good due to the top talent on the book.

I'm missing some stuff from the 70s when she was Daredevil's partner and when she was in the Champions and from the 90s when she led the Avengers, but I think the stuff I recommended gives you a solid base. You don't have to read all of it, and you don't have to read it in order; just pick whatever era/writer/team you like best and give it a shot.
    I'd add in Black Widow: Homecoming, and The Finely Woven Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    I'd add in Black Widow: Homecoming, and The Finely Woven Thread.
    Aren't those the self-titled books at #7 and #10?