Page 47 of 60 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Wow, so this really is based on that Marvel Team-Up arc. It's too similar not to be!

Who is Red Guardian now though? Last I saw him -- it was Darkstar's brother -- Vanguard, I think.
    Well it says it in the caption, it's Alexei. Makes sense to have him in this very personal story for Nat (and of course movie synergy). And as we all know nobody is really dead in comics.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be honest, I think it fits her more than "Crimson Widow" did in the cartoons, and it makes her look more distinct.
    From Natasha maybe, but she also kind of looks like Sharon Carter.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    From Natasha maybe, but she also kind of looks like Sharon Carter.
    Why do these Russian spies keep stealing Sharon's catsuit ?

Why do these Russian spies keep stealing Sharon's catsuit ?
    Wait, what other time did that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Wait, what other time did that happen?
    Widow in the comics or in her solo movie.

Widow in the comics or in her solo movie.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Well it says it in the caption, it's Alexei. Makes sense to have him in this very personal story for Nat (and of course movie synergy). And as we all know nobody is really dead in comics.
    Alexei has been back for a few years now. He first was revealed to be alive in an arc from Bendis' DAREDEVIL run that spotlighted Black Widow, and I think the last time he was seen before this was when he adopted the "Ronin" identity (after Clint Barton stopped using it, but before Blade started) in the WIDOWMAKERS miniseries that was originally supposed to be a crossover between the HAWKEYE & MOCKINGBIRD and BLACK WIDOW books of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Alexei has been back for a few years now. He first was revealed to be alive in an arc from Bendis' DAREDEVIL run that spotlighted Black Widow, and I think the last time he was seen before this was when he adopted the "Ronin" identity (after Clint Barton stopped using it, but before Blade started) in the WIDOWMAKERS miniseries that was originally supposed to be a crossover between the HAWKEYE & MOCKINGBIRD and BLACK WIDOW books of the time.
    I do know the Widowmakers mini series but somehow I remembered Natasha killing Alexei in the end but having checked it now she only wounded him seriously and said he would survive it.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Did anyone else think Natasha came off as kind of a jerk in the Waid/Samnee run? She uses Tony and never apologizes for it or for the Yinsen thing, her lack of any sympathy for Anya even though they grew up together, etc.

And what was the point of showing what she did to the Weeping Lions as a child only for it to never get revealed to her before they get killed?

Did anyone else think Natasha came off as kind of a jerk in the Waid/Samnee run? She uses Tony and never apologizes for it or for the Yinsen thing, her lack of any sympathy for Anya even though they grew up together, etc.

And what was the point of showing what she did to the Weeping Lions as a child only for it to never get revealed to her before they get killed?
    You are right but I actually like that take on her. To me Nat always had her flaws and isn't your typical shiny superhero. Also her relationship with Tony had its ups and downs in the past. At the end of the last issue we see that he doesn't bear a grudge, so he seems to be used to it.^^ And Nat shows empathy towards the girls but as Anya made her decision to reinstall the red room as an adult she's fully responsible for her actions and gets treated that way.

Guess the Weeping Lion backstory was meant to show the reader the antagonists' motivation, it's not always necessary to reveal it to the protagonist. I think she wouldn't have cared too much about it anyway looking at how cold her characterization was in that series as you already mentioned. Who knows, maybe the third cousin or whoever that is will reveal it to Nat in the current run

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    You are right but I actually like that take on her. To me Nat always had her flaws and isn't your typical shiny superhero. Also her relationship with Tony had its ups and downs in the past. At the end of the last issue we see that he doesn't bear a grudge, so he seems to be used to it.^^ And Nat shows empathy towards the girls but as Anya made her decision to reinstall the red room as an adult she's fully responsible for her actions and gets treated that way.

Guess the Weeping Lion backstory was meant to show the reader the antagonists' motivation, it's not always necessary to reveal it to the protagonist. I think she wouldn't have cared too much about it anyway looking at how cold her characterization was in that series as you already mentioned. Who knows, maybe the third cousin or whoever that is will reveal it to Nat in the current run
    I'm fine with Natasha being flawed, but it just felt like she could have shown a wee bit more overt compassion to people, including the ones helping her (aside from that one guy who taught her how to shoot). Like, she was cold to Anya even when they were kids.

I'd like to think she'd care if the relatives of man she assassinated wanted revenge, but I guess you never know.

Absolutely I do but that's just one of the reasons I didn't much like that run, even less so in hindsight.

EDIT: @ISSUE #3
    spoilers:
    Curious to see whether we are to assume that all her memories have been restored or whether she just "saw" some glimpses and had to piece stuff together from here on out. Viper was the MVP of this issue.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Matternativ; 11-04-2020 at 02:50 AM.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

How does one do spoiler tags? My attempt just failed miserably lol

So removing the spoiler bits I can still gush about how gorgeous the art is in the new Black Widow series. between the art and the colouring I find the book stunning to look at at times. Those action sequences!
    Last edited by Sneakronicity; 11-04-2020 at 06:00 AM. Reason: failed at spoiler tags

Quote Originally Posted by Sneakronicity View Post
    How does one do spoiler tags? My attempt just failed miserably lol

So removing the spoiler bits I can still gush about how gorgeous the art is in the new Black Widow series. between the art and the colouring I find the book stunning to look at at times. Those action sequences!
    [ spoil ] Textitext [ /spoil ]

Minus the spaces.

I always have to type them out too. In most other forums it's [spoiler] so I fucked it up a bunch of times in the past already.

And fuck yeah the action is so freaking fancy in this book.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    [ spoil ] Textitext [ /spoil ]

Minus the spaces.

I always have to type them out too. In most other forums it's [spoiler] so I fucked it up a bunch of times in the past already.

And fuck yeah the action is so freaking fancy in this book.
    Thank you! That's exactly what I did, used 'spoiler' instead of 'spoil'. So let's try this again!

spoilers:
    I'm really curious about James. Is he in on the whole deal? Or is he brainwashed too? Or what is he? The baby is his, the impossible baby, so there's clearly something going on with that dude as well as it's only been a few months, not a few years. Also Stevie is real as Yelena tested him, but there's all the stuff with him disappearing and reappearing and such. What is going on? And I agree that Viper was fantastic. Very interesting that this plot was not supposed to be about killing Natasha as they always fail at that, but trapping her in a world she wouldn't want to leave
    end of spoilers