Page 35 of 45 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 525 of 667
  1. #511
    Uncanny Member XPac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    31,708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    You're right about that.

    I'm not expecting any miracles, but even if Reed, Doom, Otto and others are incapable of seeing Adam as an equal, the all-knowing narrator should pick spots to prove them wrong. I imagine cosmic level super scientists like Adam that have been around for almost a century probably know forgotten secrets of the cosmos that few others know. There's also Adam's friendship with Uatu. You have to wonder what those two shared on science, advanced technology, and the workings of the multiverse. Uatu never was one to totally commit to his oath of non-interference. Especially when he harbors an affinity for someone.
    That aspect has be excited about Uatu potentially returning. Him and Adam had a pretty unique relationship, and I felt his death took away one of Adams supporting cast is a weird sort of way. Not that I expect them to regularly show up together from now on or anything, but it's cool that this element is potentially returning.

  2. #512

    Default

    I see Adam as someone who would absolutely know how to deal with Knull of the symbiotes.

  3. #513
    Extraordinary Member JudicatorPrime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Cosmic Shores of the Pacific
    Posts
    5,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    That aspect has be excited about Uatu potentially returning. Him and Adam had a pretty unique relationship, and I felt his death took away one of Adams supporting cast is a weird sort of way. Not that I expect them to regularly show up together from now on or anything, but it's cool that this element is potentially returning.
    With our luck, Uatu will see Adam and go, "Do I know you?"

  4. #514
    Extraordinary Member JudicatorPrime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Cosmic Shores of the Pacific
    Posts
    5,992

    Default

    Seeing this video on Jack Trice makes me wonder who Adam's heroes were back in the day as he followed in many of their same footsteps. I imagine Adam had similar stories of being targeted from his college football playing days. What must he think now, looking back on those times?

    For those not familiar with Mr. Trice or his death mere days after playing in a racially charged football game, feel free to watch the attached video.




  5. #515
    Extraordinary Member JudicatorPrime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Cosmic Shores of the Pacific
    Posts
    5,992

    Default

    I don't know if Adam will ever have a perennial uniform, but when I look at old pictures of the above mentioned Jack Trice, I see elements that would look pretty cool in a throwback costume. I realize this is Mr. Trice's school uniform, but you almost feel like all he's missing is a cape...and maybe a helmet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #516
    Extraordinary Member JudicatorPrime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Cosmic Shores of the Pacific
    Posts
    5,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    The writer seems to have a high opinion of steet level characters.
    Doom jobs to Agent Zero.
    Victorious jobs to Silver Sable.
    And now that. I see a pattern.
    Wow. I can't stand writers like that. I'm no fan of street level types to begin with, but writing like that amplifies my disdain.

  7. #517
    Extraordinary Member JudicatorPrime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Cosmic Shores of the Pacific
    Posts
    5,992

    Default

    Does anyone know what happened to the Battleworld Blue Marvels? Obviously we still have the 616 version, but I wonder if there's any chance of there being an alternate universe Blue Marvel running around 616? Only instead of stepping on Adam's toes, he decides to take up a new nom de guerre now that he's an immigrant in 616.

  8. #518
    Mighty Member dkrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I see Adam as someone who would absolutely know how to deal with Knull of the symbiotes.
    Exactly, along with the resources, and the muscle to warrant him leading on the Frontline, but alas Adam doesn't have the complexion for the protection. He will be pushed to the margins for this event. If you look at the lineup they don't even mention him.

  9. #519
    Extraordinary Member JudicatorPrime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Cosmic Shores of the Pacific
    Posts
    5,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Exactly, along with the resources, and the muscle to warrant him leading on the Frontline, but alas Adam doesn't have the complexion for the protection. He will be pushed to the margins for this event. If you look at the lineup they don't even mention him.
    This is probably a blessing in disguise. I know Sentry is in the event, but I have a feeling he's going to be set up as roadkill for Knull. With Adam's last two writers clearly setting the table for him being less than Superman-level in power or prestige, no point in chancing a different treatment of him in this event.

  10. #520
    Ultimate Member Tendrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    This is probably a blessing in disguise. I know Sentry is in the event, but I have a feeling he's going to be set up as roadkill for Knull. With Adam's last two writers clearly setting the table for him being less than Superman-level in power or prestige, no point in chancing a different treatment of him in this event.
    I know some people are feeling that way, but I really don't think Cates would have gone through all the trouble to bring him back and set this up in the first place just to write him out. That doesn't mean he won't get stomped by Knull, but I don't think it'll be Adam that takes his place. (Adam SHOULD be part of the event, though.)

    But here's the problem with the idea that 'Adam would know what to do with Knull'. You're essentially begging for your fave to be roadkill too because the events *aren't about them* the way DC events almost always rotate around Superman. This is a Venom-centric event, and ultimately, it's going to be about Venom and his place in the MU going forward. Sentry, Blue Marvel, and the others are just along for the road and will hopefully get some cool moments along the way. It actually looks like, from the description of Valkyries, that they're using the Sentry like he SHOULD be used for events like this: the reason the rest of the heroes aren't being overwhelmed. That's the best use for powerful characters who need to be explained but aren't integral to the arc.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 10-24-2020 at 05:38 AM.

  11. #521
    Extraordinary Member JudicatorPrime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Cosmic Shores of the Pacific
    Posts
    5,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I know some people are feeling that way, but I really don't think Cates would have gone through all the trouble to bring him back and set this up in the first place just to write him out. That doesn't mean he won't get stomped by Knull, but I don't think it'll be Adam that takes his place. (Adam SHOULD be part of the event, though.)

    But here's the problem with the idea that 'Adam would know what to do with Knull'. You're essentially begging for your fave to be roadkill too because the events *aren't about them* the way DC events almost always rotate around Superman. This is a Venom-centric event, and ultimately, it's going to be about Venom and his place in the MU going forward. Sentry, Blue Marvel, and the others are just along for the road and will hopefully get some cool moments along the way. It actually looks like, from the description of Valkyries, that they're using the Sentry like he SHOULD be used for events like this: the reason the rest of the heroes aren't being overwhelmed. That's the best use for powerful characters who need to be explained but aren't integral to the arc.
    I don't think Cates will kill Sentry off or anything that severe, but I do think Knull is going to have a reputation-building moment at Sentry's expense. As if killing first generation Celestials wasn't enough.

    In an earlier post in another thread I indicated that I think someone from the Spider/Venom-verse should resolve the Knull conflict, albeit obviously with some help. This was in reference to someone proposing Thor and Thanos teaming up to deal with Knull. I'm opposed to that type of scenario.

    Still, if Knull is as great as they lead us to believe, you need big guns to show up and play a role. The universe can't go to hell in a handbasket while they stand by idly.

    In Blue Marvel's case, it just reaffirms that he's no Superman analogue, despite how some choose to interpret Kevin Grevioux's hypothetical premise behind the creation of Blue Marvel. Superman plays an integral role in just about every major DC event. They are definitely billing this as a major event, so I guess we can only believe that Adam Brashear fell asleep and slept while the tumult raged from the Negative Zone where Sentry presently sits across the known universe. Adam stuck Rip Van Winkling it again, even though his powerful mind, body and spirit doesn't require sleep at all.

    But I'm getting ahead of myself. There's still an issue or two of the Dr. Doom series left. Who knows, maybe Adam gets depowered, killed off, or stranded in another divergent reality? Judo-tossed there by one of Doom's robotic scullery maids.

  12. #522
    Ultimate Member Tendrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I don't think Cates will kill Sentry off or anything that severe, but I do think Knull is going to have a reputation-building moment at Sentry's expense. As if killing first generation Celestials wasn't enough.
    Possibly! Given that Sentry is in his classic costume on the cover of Valkyries, I'm wondering if Knull isn't gonna just absob the Void or something. I hope not. And I agree, you need an explanation, at least a nod or a sentence. We all know how famously useful they made Sentry in various events and you don't want to that to happen to Adam. xD

  13. #523
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    25,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I don't think Cates will kill Sentry off or anything that severe, but I do think Knull is going to have a reputation-building moment at Sentry's expense. As if killing first generation Celestials wasn't enough.

    In an earlier post in another thread I indicated that I think someone from the Spider/Venom-verse should resolve the Knull conflict, albeit obviously with some help. This was in reference to someone proposing Thor and Thanos teaming up to deal with Knull. I'm opposed to that type of scenario.

    Still, if Knull is as great as they lead us to believe, you need big guns to show up and play a role. The universe can't go to hell in a handbasket while they stand by idly.

    In Blue Marvel's case, it just reaffirms that he's no Superman analogue, despite how some choose to interpret Kevin Grevioux's hypothetical premise behind the creation of Blue Marvel. Superman plays an integral role in just about every major DC event. They are definitely billing this as a major event, so I guess we can only believe that Adam Brashear fell asleep and slept while the tumult raged from the Negative Zone where Sentry presently sits across the known universe. Adam stuck Rip Van Winkling it again, even though his powerful mind, body and spirit doesn't require sleep at all.

    But I'm getting ahead of myself. There's still an issue or two of the Dr. Doom series left. Who knows, maybe Adam gets depowered, killed off, or stranded in another divergent reality? Judo-tossed there by one of Doom's robotic scullery maids.
    I've said before that Adam is more of an Icon analogue than a Superman one. Both of them are different takes on the question of "What if Superman was black" but neither is really a major player in their respective universes (the real protagonist of Icon's series wasn't even Icon himself, it was Rocket).

    But really, this treatment here is pretty consistent with Marvel's Superman analogues. Sentry is the only one that's ever played a major role in an event and his role was as a villain.

  14. #524
    Extraordinary Member JudicatorPrime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Cosmic Shores of the Pacific
    Posts
    5,992

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I've said before that Adam is more of an Icon analogue than a Superman one. Both of them are different takes on the question of "What if Superman was black" but neither is really a major player in their respective universes (the real protagonist of Icon's series wasn't even Icon himself, it was Rocket).

    But really, this treatment here is pretty consistent with Marvel's Superman analogues. Sentry is the only one that's ever played a major role in an event and his role was as a villain.
    Isn't Icon really a Superman analog as well? Certainly closer to Clark in origin in that he's an alien from another planet. At least Icon has met Superman on panel and shared an adventure.

  15. #525
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    25,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Isn't Icon really a Superman analog as well? Certainly closer to Clark in origin in that he's an alien from another planet. At least Icon has met Superman on panel and shared an adventure.
    You're correct. Still I would say Blue Marvel has more in common with Icon than he does Superman. Their civilian names even begin with the letter "A" (Icon = Augustus Freeman/Arnus, Blue Marvel = Adam Brashear).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •