Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647484950 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Given what happened to Sentry, Adam may have lucked out in skipping this event (so far).

They likely needed an expendable Superman level character to put over Knull, and Sentry and Adam probably were both potential candidates on the short list with Sentry winning the pony.
    Well, we already know that Sentry will be back in some degree in Jan, as he shows up in Aaron's Valkyrie book.

I think the bottom line is that Marvel would rather have their "retcon Supermen" look worse on the page than their MCU properties.

Amazing Member

Given what happened to Sentry, Adam may have lucked out in skipping this event (so far).

They likely needed an expendable Superman level character to put over Knull, and Sentry and Adam probably were both potential candidates on the short list with Sentry winning the pony.
    Agreed. If knull does encounter Adam, I'm hoping the negative zone energy will have some effect in neutralizing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon jiren View Post
    Agreed. If knull does encounter Adam, I'm hoping the negative zone energy will have some effect in neutralizing him.
    One would figure that since Knull is still made up of matter, and Blue has high level control over that and antimatter...well like I said you would figure he could be key in beating him, but that's what Dylan and Eddie are gonna be there.

Astonishing Member

I'm pretty sure Sentry was never in doubt to be there due to the whole recreating the Carnage/Ares pecking order iconic scenes in order to show off Knull.

If it came down to anything else, I have a gut feeling it was going to be down to Sentry, Hyperion or Blue Marvel. With Sentry edging Hyperion only because I haven't heard about some version of the latter making the rounds in comics recently.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon jiren View Post
    Unlikely though. They wrote Sentry as a flying brick despite his almost embarrassing range of powers & high intellect.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Last_Czarnian View Post
    Unlikely though. They wrote Sentry as a flying brick despite his almost embarrassing range of powers & high intellect.
    Your statement made me consider a thought. Does Marvel have writers that can write Uber powerful characters in creative and innovative ways, more to that point if they have them why are they not deploying them to write stories for Blue Marvel and characters like him. I look at this as merely expanding their profile and diversifying the content. Why should Thor and Hulk be the only super powerful characters in use.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Your statement made me consider a thought. Does Marvel have writers that can write Uber powerful characters in creative and innovative ways, more to that point if they have them why are they not deploying them to write stories for Blue Marvel and characters like him. I look at this as merely expanding their profile and diversifying the content. Why should Thor and Hulk be the only super powerful characters in use.
    It's a tough question. Why WOULD a character like BM, or Sentry (or Thor for that matter) just dive in, fists swinging? It seems as though all of these powers are forgotten about for the sake of the story.
    But then you get into the "why would said character need to be in a team if they are that powerful" or "why didn't Sentry just use his molecular manipulation/reality warping" bit again. At least chuck in a line of dialogue to explain why.

Adam really got stiffed in the Doom series, I think, when you consider the original mini plus his run in Ultimates.

It's a tough question. Why WOULD a character like BM, or Sentry (or Thor for that matter) just dive in, fists swinging? It seems as though all of these powers are forgotten about for the sake of the story.
    But then you get into the "why would said character need to be in a team if they are that powerful" or "why didn't Sentry just use his molecular manipulation/reality warping" bit again. At least chuck in a line of dialogue to explain why.

Adam really got stiffed in the Doom series, I think, when you consider the original mini plus his run in Ultimates.
    My point exactly! You mean to tell me there's no writer with the ability to respect the power set, but still display the depth thinking, plotting and action of superior heroes like Adam? If these writers are suppose to be so good, then where is there ability to imagine? Maybe the problem here and with comics in general is the talent really isn't that talented, or creative. On top of that too many company men are working just to safeguard certain properties and not pushing for creative and innovative storytelling excellence.

My point exactly! You mean to tell me there's no writer with the ability to respect the power set, but still display the depth thinking, plotting and action of superior heroes like Adam? If these writers are suppose to be so good, then where is there ability to imagine? Maybe the problem here and with comics in general is the talent really isn't that talented, or creative. On top of that too many company men are working just to safeguard certain properties and not pushing for creative and innovative storytelling excellence.
    I think in at least Sentry's case, the argument can be made that while he has immense powers, he's been so largely unchallenged that he's used to just ending things with a quick rip. Hammer, everything looks like a nail, etc.

That entire sequence with Knull ripping him apart was definitely a good case of What Goes Around Comes Around for him, and hopefully will move the character in a better direction forward.

I liked Cates' use of him in Doctor Strange, where he was just a battery allowing Strange to offload high level magical costs onto him because he could ignore the price completely. xD
    Last edited by Tendrin; 12-15-2020 at 08:01 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I think in at least Sentry's case, the argument can be made that while he has immense powers, he's been so largely unchallenged that he's used to just ending things with a quick rip. Hammer, everything looks like a nail, etc.

That entire sequence with Knull ripping him apart was definitely a good case of What Goes Around Comes Around for him, and hopefully will move the character in a better direction forward.

I liked Cates' use of him in Doctor Strange, where he was just a battery allowing Strange to offload high level magical costs onto him because he could ignore the price completely. xD
    Always good to see Tendrin! A fellow Sentry fan. Are you a big Adam fan as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post

I get the one upmanship inserted into that interaction, however it still strikes me as being a cheap writing mechanism, unless there's a payoff down the road where we see Sentry rebooted to no longer have to contend with being one and the same as the void. Now if that's the case then it speaks to someone having an eye on Sentry, now then I wonder who can work to tweak Blue Marvel in a thoughtful way with an eye towards incorporating him to the verse again?

I think a part of it is that he's supposed to be a SORT OF Superman stand in (even though he's more like Miracle Man). In the back of your mind, I think you're supposed to think that if Superman was here, he'd get his butt handed to him too. So they have him sort of act like Superman in a way. At least for the initial part.

Yes they do. Ewing and Hickman. Maybe Aaron too. Reason they don’t put them on BM is simple: No movie or TV show is planned to feature him. Creative synergy dictates all these days.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yes they do. Ewing and Hickman. Maybe Aaron too. Reason they don’t put them on BM is simple: No movie or TV show is planned to feature him. Creative synergy dictates all these days.
    Hi I'm pretty much a comic book normie so please don't flame me too hard for this question. Couldn't Kevin Grevioux write a 5 or 6 part series? I'm ignorant to the inner workings of comic book development but I thought it odd he hasn't written anything else since the origin story.

I read through Blue Marvel's origin story a few months ago, and its pretty much tailor made for a film. How that hasn't happened yet is beyond me. Like they wouldn't even have to change anything.