Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    ...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

There is a tendency with comics to see heroes as fixed absolutes, instead of evolving, complex creatures
    I tend the view the characters as they been presented in the narrative the company has put forth. I've learned to not read more than whats written down. Though You, Riv86672, and I are... kinda live in that realm of creativity so I can dig the waxing poetic that we do.
    Narratively... even Cap was with diamond back but the physical attraction is a big deal.
    Neither her nor there.
    I understand Adam very well... as he's been presented so yeah... people have many reasons for many things. . .

Yeah. Wasn’t the take on Ultimates superficially suppose to be Marvel’s:

Superman: Blue Adam
    Batman: Black Panther
    Wonder Woman: America Chavez
    Green Lantern: Captain Marvel
    Flash: Spectrum

What I got from that series was that Adam was the most ineffectual version of superman imaginable.

Most of the time I felt like America or Carol was Supes, but could be just a bad lens.
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 07-28-2020 at 03:21 AM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Incredible Member

I don't think I've checked this thread in the last 5 or 6 months.

I caught up on the latest Blue Marvel news.

Nothings changed.

I'd love to hear / read stories from Kevin Grevioux regarding what happened behind the scenes with this character since he first created it.

Or maybe i wouldn't for the sake of my emotional health lol.
    Don't complain. Create.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    ...okay. That's a lot to digest but. ok.

I have trouble seeing the Adam Brashear ...the marine who stopped super-heroics because the president asked him to do so just to spare the country stryfe... a Guy whose BASICALLY a person who's ideals are the same as stever rogers/Captain America ....bedding down with a revolutionary social activist. But... Never trust a big but and a smile I guess. That story reminds me of someone but I can't put my finger on who.

Blue Marvel/Black Panther. worlds finest.

I guess it kind of writes itself in a way.
    Steve Rogers absolutely would date a revolutionary social activist.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    I tend the view the characters as they been presented in the narrative the company has put forth. I've learned to not read more than whats written down. Though You, Riv86672, and I are... kinda live in that realm of creativity so I can dig the waxing poetic that we do.
    Narratively... even Cap was with diamond back but the physical attraction is a big deal.
    Neither her nor there.
    I understand Adam very well... as he's been presented so yeah... people have many reasons for many things. . .

What I got from that series was that Adam was the most ineffectual version of superman imaginable.

Most of the time I felt like America or Carol was Supes, but could be just a bad lens.
    I think Adam is really more a Reed Richards than a Superman (if you look past powerset). The guy seems more a scientiest/adventurere at heart who would try and solve problems with his head than his fists. It's not that he was ineffectual so much as he (and the group as a whole) often handled things non violently when possible.

To me the group seemed more like the Fantastic Four than the Justice League. Not that they match up perfectly member to member, but just the feel and function of the book in general.

Extraordinary Member

Off topic but remember Adam was on Falcon’s pre-Secret Wars Mighty Avengers team.

Blue Marvel, Cap America (Sam), Luke Cage, Power Man, White Tiger, Blade, She-Hulk, Monica Rambeau, Kaluu, Spider-Man (doc ock)

Yep, and that's what it could have been. If not for what had to be some editorial shenanigans cause normally Ewing would craft fairly good stories. I don't know where America coming out the gate blathering about how she was there to put any of the team down ...just in case??? Then you had the slow jamming of Carol trying to be the Alpha-Male of the team, again???? This team that had Adam, a godlike powered with decades of experience being a true hero and stand up dude. T'challa The king of the most advanced countries on the earth as well as being one of, if not the most brilliant men on the planet!!! The dialogue and plot was this series worst enemy. There were a few nuggets, but overall was lacking. Adam should have shined a lot more in this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Off topic but remember Adam was on Falcon’s pre-Secret Wars Mighty Avengers team.

Blue Marvel, Cap America (Sam), Luke Cage, Power Man, White Tiger, Blade, She-Hulk, Monica Rambeau, Kaluu, Spider-Man (doc ock)
    Bruuuuuh, that team was killing it!! This is why I was so excited about The Ultimates when it was announced.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Bruuuuuh, that team was killing it!! This is why I was so excited about The Ultimates when it was announced.
    Hypothetically remove Black Panther/She-Hulk from both teams.

And I think that that version of Mighty Avengers could take on the current Avengers.

Ewing wrote a pretty cool Avengers book. It had almost a Busiek Avengers feel, which was cool. Though I did like Ultimates, I think overall I would have preferred if Mighty Avengers had stuck around post Secret Wars.

Extraordinary Member

As someone else said above. The FF were gone so Ultimates was more of a FF replacement. So I can see why they got rid of another Avengers team.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 07-28-2020 at 07:57 AM.

As someone else said above. The FF were gone so Ultimates was more of a FF replacement. So I can see why they can’t rid of another Avengers team.
    From a practical and storytelling perspective Mighty Avengers basically ran it's course. Luke and Jessica were needed in Defenders, while Sam being the official Captain Ameria meant he was going onto the main Avengers team. And the Ultimates were a better place for guys like Adam and Monica than Mighty Avengers. So all around it made sense.

But I liked the writer and I liked the book so I was still sorry to see it go. Again, I liked Ultimates too... but it was a different sort of book.

Extraordinary Member

It’s a shame a team like that wouldn’t work for Justice League. When solo book plots took all the main male Justice Leaguers away (Plus Black Lightning and Diana) the remaining team members were black males and some women. All were relatives B-lister popular but still people complained about the book:

Vixen, Black Canary, Zatanna, Jason-Firestorm, John Stewart-Green Lantern, Female Dr Light. With Icon and Hardware.

With McDuffie writing it could have been a good team if given the chance.

As someone else said above. The FF were gone so Ultimates was more of a FF replacement. So I can see why they can’t rid of another Avengers team.
    How many Avengers teams do they have at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    How many Avengers teams do they have at the moment?
    At the moment I think there's only one official Avengers team.

I'm assuming Savage Avengers doesn't count.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Yep, and that's what it could have been. If not for what had to be some editorial shenanigans cause normally Ewing would craft fairly good stories. I don't know where America coming out the gate blathering about how she was there to put any of the team down ...just in case??? Then you had the slow jamming of Carol trying to be the Alpha-Male of the team, again???? This team that had Adam, a godlike powered with decades of experience being a true hero and stand up dude. T'challa The king of the most advanced countries on the earth as well as being one of, if not the most brilliant men on the planet!!! The dialogue and plot was this series worst enemy. There were a few nuggets, but overall was lacking. Adam should have shined a lot more in this series.

This.

All of this.

This was so much of a turn off that it virtually destroyed any interest that i had in Marvel at the time and to this day. The positive that came out of that mess is that it made me embrace independents and spend money on their products.

I hear good things about Al Ewing from a small group of life long comic readers whose opinion i ...give some weight to. I wondered what happened with regard to Al Ewing and the direction of that title at the time. I suspect it was the bold portion of your post that "happened". All i can think of is the attitude and actions of Ike Perlmutter with regard to the Black Panther film to know that gatekeepers exists and actively work to stop characters like Adam Brashear from being fully utilized.

That whole mess just left a lingering negative feeling towards Marvel......
    Don't complain. Create.