Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

What do you know? Thor. Killing Galactus.

I love seeing stuff like this. No, not for the reason you think.

I like it because of the pin drop hearing silence from people who supposedly hate OP characters. They never complain when it's Thor. Never. Must be the cool locks of golden hair that stills their tongues.

And I like it because for all of the assurances made that Blue Marvel was in the same category as Thor, Sentry and others of that most elite ilk, we've yet to see him do anything that even remotely resembles a cosmic scale feat. Like killing a Celestial. Or beating down the Molecule Man. Or slaying Galactus and turning his helmet into a toll booth for the Rainbow Bridge.

Thank you Marvel for being what you always were.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post

I like it because of the pin drop hearing silence from people who supposedly hate OP characters. They never complain when it's Thor. Never. Must be the cool locks of golden hair that stills their tongues.

And I like it because for all of the assurances made that Blue Marvel was in the same category as Thor, Sentry and others of that most elite ilk, we've yet to see him do anything that even remotely resembles a cosmic scale feat. Like killing a Celestial. Or beating down the Molecule Man. Or slaying Galactus and turning his helmet into a toll booth for the Rainbow Bridge.

Most Thor fans were too pre-occupied with him losing to Moon Knight to worry about him killing Galactus (a sentence I never though I'd ever write in a million years).

But yeah ... BM lacks high end feats. BM owning the entire Squadron Supreme was pretty awesome, but it's not quite cosmic level. He needs more stories where he can cut lose more. But not against Galactus ... I think marvel picks on the Big G too much. Writers need to start using Korvac or the Stranger more. Give Galactus a break.

Ultimate Member

In fairness, I've seen plenty of people in the Thor appreciation thread say that him killing Big G was too much

Suggestions for intergalactic or interdimensional adventures???

Since someone is hellbent on Adam not believing in magic, I think I'd like for him to visit the Dark Dimension first. A misadventure with Umar and Dormammu would do Adam some good. Then from there to Asgsard.

I'd also like to see him travel to the world of the Unparalleled, assuming it hasn't been destroyed yet. Maybe bring back a new ally or two for a team that he's forming.

What about you? Where in the multiverse would you like to see Adam go?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Adam battling through several of the Hell dimensions would be intriguing for me. (I don't know if Mephisto is off limits but I'd like to see Adam fighting him, and several of the other "bosses"). Also accidentally visiting a planet that has an active history of explicit racial oppression, but maybe a community leader asks him to stay, a "reversal" of how things happened in his origin story.

BANNED

I think you should visit the Thor thread more often because several people including me have complained that Thor killing Galactus like this was disrespectful to the character, even with the fact that Thor has 2 different amps here, amps that would literally allow almost any other character to do the same thing he did.

The problem is Thor has his ongoing, every character that has their own ongoing will obviously get a very high end treatment from their writer from time to time, which is why when they appear in other books they aren't nearly as impressive. Immortal Hulk one-shot every Avenger including Thor in his own book and then went on and fought Thing for over 90 mins before losing in the FF book.

Thor in particular has for years now had very, VERY bad low showings, so Thor fans aren't having as great of a time as you think.

Besides this maybe an unpopular opinion but i don't think guys like Thor, Hulk, Sentry, BM should be going around beating up Celestials and other cosmic threats, even though it happens from time to time, outside of them being amped it really shouldn't and even than it really depends. Without amps them doing it feels way outside their paygrade, regular Thor would never beat Galactus like this and if he did everyone would call it BS, everyone has called BS when Hulk recently thunderclapped the second most powerful being in all of Marvel, in fact everyone just ignored it like it never happened because it made no sense whatsoever.

Invincible Member

Suggestions for intergalactic or interdimensional adventures???

Since someone is hellbent on Adam not believing in magic, I think I'd like for him to visit the Dark Dimension first. A misadventure with Umar and Dormammu would do Adam some good. Then from there to Asgsard.

I'd also like to see him travel to the world of the Unparalleled, assuming it hasn't been destroyed yet. Maybe bring back a new ally or two for a team that he's forming.

What about you? Where in the multiverse would you like to see Adam go?
    I wouldn't mind seeing Adam go on a trippy metaphysical adventure sorta along the lines of what Jim Starlin might have done in the 70's. Have him meet The Inbetweener, some Johnathan Hickman A.I., perhaps time unravels. It probably wouldn't sell big, but could be fun with the right creators.

Barring that, some kinda Star Wars by way of Kirby romp. Maybe it could start with a search for a M'Krann Crystal style mcguffin. Adam picks up allies and meets foes along the way. BM could deal with everything from Asgardian Trolls to the Kree to Celestials.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing Adam go on a trippy metaphysical adventure sorta along the lines of what Jim Starlin might have done in the 70's. Have him meet The Inbetweener, some Johnathan Hickman A.I., perhaps time unravels. It probably wouldn't sell big, but could be fun with the right creators.

Barring that, some kinda Star Wars by way of Kirby romp. Maybe it could start with a search for a M'Krann Crystal style mcguffin. Adam picks up allies and meets foes along the way. BM could deal with everything from Asgardian Trolls to the Kree to Celestials.
    We're seeing what appears to be a new version of SWORD. I wonder if Adam and Monica won't show up in that. Monica is supposed to be in the MCU version of SWORD, so there's a chance synergy will work in her favor. And Monica showing up increases the odds of Adam showing up at least a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    And Monica showing up increases the odds of Adam showing up at least a bit.
    I think we can let that hope go. I don't recall Adam appearing at all in Strikeforce, nor was there any plans to use him in that book. Remember, Monica couldn't even tell Adam or anyone else about the threat that the Strikeforce team faced. A deliberate fire wall to keep characters like the Blue Marvel out.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 09-09-2020 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    Thor in particular has for years now had very, VERY bad low showings, so Thor fans aren't having as great of a time as you think.

Besides this maybe an unpopular opinion but i don't think guys like Thor, Hulk, Sentry, BM should be going around beating up Celestials and other cosmic threats, even though it happens from time to time, outside of them being amped it really shouldn't and even than it really depends. Without amps them doing it feels way outside their paygrade, regular Thor would never beat Galactus like this and if he did everyone would call it BS, everyone has called BS when Hulk recently thunderclapped the second most powerful being in all of Marvel, in fact everyone just ignored it like it never happened because it made no sense whatsoever.
    I hear you, but it's all relative.

I still see it as Thor fans being spoiled for much of Thor's existence with the kind of stories that endeared Thor to them, replete with feats galore that cement his standing in the Marvel Universe as one of the top 2 or 3 most powerful heroes. As a consequence, for most Thor fans par is such a high level. Naturally, when he doesn't receive the same treatment for a few years, his fans don't like it. I get it.

But here's my perspective:

Marvel is celebrating its 80th year of legendary comic book stories. However, the first African American hero in Thor's class wasn't created until 2008, some 68 years after Marvel/Timely launched. Twelve years have passed since Blue Marvel's creation, yet in that time he's has exactly zero feats that match the top end feats -- amps or not -- of Thor, Sentry, Hulk and his peer group. Not one.

So I do laugh and rib the Thor and Hulk fans quite a bit for their spoiled outrage. Thor's treatment at its worst is still far better than what Blue Marvel receives. You only think you have it bad, but Thor is just fine. He's always in the thick of it and he'll never be perceived as less than Marvel's greatest and arguably most powerful character. Not even if they turn him into a frog. Trust me on that. I've been reading comics since the 60s. Thor always regains his standing. (His killing of Galactus in recent issues is just Marvel refreshing their carefully articulated safe space.)

As for whether or not top tier heroes should be able to destroy Galactus or Celestials, I fully agree with you: No, they shouldn't. That Galactus need even guard his tongue around someone like the Molecule Man incenses me to no end. It should never happen. But it does, and it's now a well-worn path for guys who look like Thor and Sentry. I'm not calling for an endless parade of characters whacking the hell out of Galactus just to prove their mettle, but continuity and consistent characterization requires that heroes like Blue Marvel should be depicted on panel with similar feats. To date that hasn't happened ... and I doubt that it ever will.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 09-09-2020 at 10:46 PM.

I think we can let that hope go. I don't recall Adam appearing at all in Strikeforce, nor was there any plans to use him in that book. Remember, Monica couldn't even tell Adam or anyone else about the threat that the Strikeforce team faced. A deliberate fire wall to keep characters like the Blue Marvel out.
    It's certainly not a 100% given that Monica being in a book means Adam will be. Strike Force being a good example. But she was a major player in No Road Home, and Adam had a few short appearances in that. So again... I'd say it increases the odds of Adam showing up at least a BIT. Fingers crossed.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Marvel is celebrating its 80th year of legendary comic book stories. However, the first African American hero in Thor's class wasn't created until 2008, some 68 years after Marvel/Timely launched. Twelve years have passed since Blue Marvel's creation, yet in that time he's has exactly zero feats that match the top end feats -- amps or not -- of Thor, Sentry, Hulk and his peer group. Not one.

So I do laugh and rib the Thor and Hulk fans quite a bit for their spoiled outrage. Thor's treatment at its worst is still far better than what Blue Marvel receives. You only think you have it bad, but Thor is just fine. He's always in the thick of it and he'll never be perceived as less than Marvel's greatest and arguably most powerful character. Not even if they turn him into a frog. Trust me on that. I've been reading comics since the 60s. Thor always regains his standing. (His killing of Galactus in recent issues is just Marvel refreshing their carefully articulated safe space.)
    Huh, doesn't sound like they're wrong so much as very rational jealousy. They're not spoiled. That's needlessly, antagonistic really. They're following the narrative. Narrative shifts that leave established things behind is the problem. The problem is that Adam doesn't partake in that at all. You want him to have feats, makes sense... but when he has feats then starts getting clowned own.... out fought by Captain America or what not.

As for whther or not top tier heroes should be able to destroy Galactus or Celestials, I fully agree with you: No, they shouldn't. That Galactus need even guard his tongue around someone like the Molecule Man incenses me to no end.
    I like …. Molecule man being something... truly terrifiying… monstrous on earth. It can't just be franklin.
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 09-09-2020 at 11:36 PM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

I hear you, but it's all relative.

I still see it as Thor fans being spoiled for much of Thor's existence with the kind of stories that endeared Thor to them, replete with feats galore that cement his standing in the Marvel Universe as one of the top 2 or 3 most powerful heroes. As a consequence, for most Thor fans par is such a high level. Naturally, when he doesn't receive the same treatment for a few years, his fans don't like it. I get it.

As for whether or not top tier heroes should be able to destroy Galactus or Celestials, I fully agree with you: No, they shouldn't. That Galactus need even guard his tongue around someone like the Molecule Man incenses me to no end. It should never happen. But it does, and it's now a well-worn path for guys who look like Thor and Sentry. I'm not calling for an endless parade of characters whacking the hell out of Galactus just to prove their mettle, but continuity and consistent characterization requires that heroes like Blue Marvel should be depicted on panel with similar feats. To date that hasn't happened ... and I doubt that it ever will.
    I think these things in the long run tend to balance out. In the span of a few weeks, Thor went from gettign KOed by Moon Knight to killing Galactus. Thor fans might disagree, but that probably about breaks even.

As time goes on and Adam is used more and more, the same will happen to him though at a much slower rate. He's one hit KOed Ultimate Hulk, then went on to getting judo tossed by Silver Sable. In the end it all balanced out. Ideally we'll get bigger feats down the line (though I'm never a fan of cosmic beings getting jobbed out to super heroes as a matter of principal). But with that will be the unfortunate times he gets jobbed out too.

That sort of inconsistency sort of defines american comic book storytelling. We've got dozens and dozens of writers creating hundreds and hundreds of stores spanning decades... and inevitably we're left with a big jumbled mess of contracticing characterizations and power levels. Not that I'm excusing it... but it's just something overtime you sort of learn to live with.

Empyre Aftermath Avengers
    spoilers:
    Dr Positron is among the guests at Hulkling and Wiccan's marriage. Unlike Adrienne, he still have to appear in a story not written by Ewing
    end of spoilers
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Astonishing Member

I feel like feats are massively overrated.

The problem I have with with guys like Blue Marvel beating up cosmic threats is the poor build up. It’s basically an excuse to have two really powerful guys fight each other.

It’s not inherently bad, but it’s become really cheap.