Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Characters who appeal to feat fetishists should be eradicated, not given representation.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Characters who appeal to feat fetishists should be eradicated, not given representation.
    Hmm.... disagree. Blue Marvel would be on that list. Every superman/captain atom/Shazam expy would.

"Get rid of things I don't like" isn't really advice a company should take most of the time.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Hmm.... disagree. Blue Marvel would be on that list. Every superman/captain atom/Shazam expy would.

"Get rid of things I don't like" isn't really advice a company should take most of the time.
    The complaint was that BM was not one of those characters who has FEETZ to be constantly discussed as if that is a negative and not a great positive because that stuff is detrimental to every character associated with it and shouldn't be encouraged.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

.... I still want the origin story to be adapted into an animated movie. You could tell it without whatever restrictions go on with the live action MCU continuity. Even get Dennis Haysbert to do the voice.

BANNED

The complaint was that BM was not one of those characters who has FEETZ to be constantly discussed as if that is a negative and not a great positive because that stuff is detrimental to every character associated with it and shouldn't be encouraged.
    These are comicbooks, feats are an essential part of these characters whether we like it or not.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Every heroic character has feats beyond ordinary human capabilities, whether you're talking about the Sumerian myth of Gilgamesh, or the far flung distant future exploits of Buck Rogers. It's part and parcel to the lure of all comic book characters. That said, you misapprehend my position if you think this is merely about feats.

Quote Originally Posted by Intothevoid View Post
    These are comicbooks, feats are an essential part of these characters whether we like it or not.
    I'm sort of in the middle as far as feats go. I do enjoy them... I think they're fun when they're believable enough.

HOWEVER I have noticed at least on boards like this some fans (not necessarily on this thread in particular) are perhaps a bit too dependent on high end feats for the enjoyment of a story. And that to a degree misses the point. I think a certain rumbles board mentality can sometimes lead to a bit too much overemphasis on feats.

That said, I still think when done well they are a lot of fun to see. And I would be happy to see more from Adam. If you're going to be a Superman-ish character, that should sort of come with the territory.

Spectacular Member

I never finished that doctor doom book he was in recently. Anyone wanna spoil me what ever became of his character in it? Did he ever get some respect or did he continue to job in it?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmonk View Post
    I never finished that doctor doom book he was in recently. Anyone wanna spoil me what ever became of his character in it? Did he ever get some respect or did he continue to job in it?
    A poorly written waste of time all around

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmonk View Post
    I closed my wallet after they had Adam rather easily and uncharacteristically defeated by Silver Sable and Victorious. I understand that ultimately Doom and Adam did work together to solve the crisis on the moon with some chaperoning by Reed. Whether Adam's contribution occurred on panel or not I can't say.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'm sort of in the middle as far as feats go. I do enjoy them... I think they're fun when they're believable enough.

HOWEVER I have noticed at least on boards like this some fans (not necessarily on this thread in particular) are perhaps a bit too dependent on high end feats for the enjoyment of a story. And that to a degree misses the point. I think a certain rumbles board mentality can sometimes lead to a bit too much overemphasis on feats.

That said, I still think when done well they are a lot of fun to see. And I would be happy to see more from Adam. If you're going to be a Superman-ish character, that should sort of come with the territory.
    Two points.

First, I think the term "feat" is overused. Often we label an action or phenomena that is well within a character's powerset as a feat. A fully submerged Namor lifting a submarine over his head should not be considered a feat. Sasquatch playing catch with a DC10 aircraft should not be considered a feat. Wolverine slicing through a platoon of conventional soldiers should not ever be considered a feat.

If a result is within a character's specifications, then we should call it something other than a feat. How about "normally expected outcome" or "NEO" for short? And maybe instead of talking about Blue Marvel in terms of feats, we can discuss what represents NEO for him and how recent writers fall short of the mark when it comes to that aspect alone?

Secondly, I realize some readers hate all feats by their definition, which is why they usually avoid top tier powerhouses as much as possible. But I don't think they're being completely honest with themselves about the characters that they do follow. The simple fact is there are plenty of lesser powered characters, even nonpowered characters, who have far more true feats than Hulk, Superman, Thor and others of that elite class combined. After all, the less powerful you are, the more likely that you are operating outside of ordinary specifications and violating NEO.

If done right, I think true feats can benefit the so-called big guns as much as it does the other heroes. Perhaps even more so, since the scale works more in the favor of those whose powersets are routinely characterized as limitless, incalculable, immeasurable, etc., etc.

Haven't drawn Adam in a minute. Getting back on the horse. This time with a dark blue quasi-military jacket. Sorry, guys, I'm not a fan of the vest. Dr. Brashear, Man of Marvels and elegant powerhouse.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I still prefer Blue Marvel with the cape. I've never liked his "jacket" uniform that he started wearing in The Ultimates.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    I still prefer Blue Marvel with the cape. I've never liked his "jacket" uniform that he started wearing in The Ultimates.
    I still miss the mask. His original outfit looked so cool.

That said, he seems to be more of a scientific explorer type rather than a straight up super hero, so I guess his current outfit makes sense.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I still miss the mask. His original outfit looked so cool.

That said, he seems to be more of a scientific explorer type rather than a straight up super hero, so I guess his current outfit makes sense.
    I can understand getting rid of the mask, since you wouldn't know he was black with it on, but I hate how they got rid of the full uniform.