Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Being out of phase with time is one of the explanations for Sentry's powers. I wouldn't reccomend going with that.

Adam deserves another star turn, and I like him as the leader of a team book.

Personally, I'd make him the head of an annihilators style team and put him, Surfer, Sentry, Beta-Ray Bill, Hyperion and maybe Gladiatior on it. xD

...and just let them all be *utterly ridiculous*.

I'm telling you, they need to revamp the Squadron Supreme and call it like, 'Squadron West Coast', or 'Squadron United'... something like that. Have Blue Marvel act as the 'Hyperion' of that team and have Raymond Kane (the 'Black' Nighthawk) on the roster as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Common Writer View Post
    I'm telling you, they need to revamp the Squadron Supreme and call it like, 'Squadron West Coast', or 'Squadron United'... something like that. Have Blue Marvel act as the 'Hyperion' of that team and have Raymond Kane (the 'Black' Nighthawk) on the roster as well.
    that nighthawk would have some things to say about Adam retiring in the 1960s.. could make for some intriguing ongoing tension, despite an alliance..

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Lots of great ideas for Adam's all new all different powerset. Keep 'em coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Common Writer View Post
    A lifetime ago, back when I was a teen, I participated in a fanfic circle. I picked the Squadron Supreme, since everyone else had already claimed the Avengers, X-Men, Champions and Defenders, etc. I featured a Black man as 616 Hyperion, swapped out Nighthawk for a Japanese wealthy tycoon and an unmatched immortal warrior who wielded 7 mystical swords of power, and turned Blue Eagle into one of the facets of Horus the Egyptian god. That all to say, yes, I get that swapping out Blue Marvel for Hyperion makes sense on many levels.

But there is always a danger of homage teams lapsing into irrelevance, or getting the short end of the stick, especially if the editors have to decide between an original Marvel creation getting preferable treatment or not. That's why Blue has to be an Avenger, X-man, Defender, Guardian of the Galaxy, New Warrior, Protector of the Universe, or similar, even though he'd fit well on Squadron Supreme, the Imperial Guard, and other analog teams. That said, Marvel has done stranger things.

Speaking of stranger things...

If you really want to throw a twist into things, I propose Doctor Doom coming up with his own national team headed by Victorious and Blue Marvel. After what it's about to do annexing whole countries and provinces, Latveria is going to want to put a humanitarian spin on its actions. It's also going to need to bring in someone that can communicate to the world that Doom is on the up and up and means no ill will. Blue Marvel, in turn, gets to keep a close eye on one of the most dangerous men in any reality. We're told that the two will share a great cosmic secret. Perhaps that will be something that binds the two men, influencing Adam's decision to stay in Latveria and work with Doom? Anything is possible. Fast forward to the next encounter between Doom and the Fantastic Four or the Avengers, Doom flanked by Victorious on his right and Blue Marvel on his left. And maybe Kang dropping in just to show that he's down for whatever. I've always said, if you want to make Adam really popular fast, make him a villain. This would be the next best thing.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 11-03-2020 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    that nighthawk would have some things to say about Adam retiring in the 1960s.. could make for some intriguing ongoing tension, despite an alliance..
    You bet your ass it would. This offshoot of Squadron Supreme will be the shining example of the best that humanity has to offer. To protect and serve, especially for places that are devoid of heroes. Gathering the best of the best. The best and the brightest. Symbols. Icons. Who believe in accountability and transparency above all. To earn and maintain the public trust. None of that Secret Wars ****. We're talking All-New, All-Different Squadron.

Squadron United.

The starting lineup will consist of Blue Marvel, Nighthwak (Raymond Kane), Shuri Panther, Valkyrie, Thunderbird (John Proudstar), anyone but Storm, America Chavez, James Rhodes, and Uatu. Then you can rotate it out from there.
    Last edited by Common Writer; 11-03-2020 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    Not to mention Captain Marvel. Her solo book has been relaunched I don't know how many times.
    Captain Marvel is in a whole other category than Blue Marvel or Sentry though. She's got a billion dollar movie under her belt. For her, a monthly title is just a side thing. Because she became a billion dollar franchise there will never not be a Captain Marvel book.

It's a shame the JMS Nighthawk was so needlessly killed off. Fun character with a lot of potential. He interacted with Adam for a split second when Adam soloed the whole Squadron, but a more substantial meeting between the two could have been interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Captain Marvel is in a whole other category than Blue Marvel or Sentry though. She's got a billion dollar movie under her belt. For her, a monthly title is just a side thing. Because she became a billion dollar franchise there will never not be a Captain Marvel book.
    Weren't they giving her every chance under the sun even before a movie was announced for her?
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Weren't they giving her every chance under the sun even before a movie was announced for her?
    Yes. Yes they were. It was a concerted effort even before the movie to make Carol the central femme of the MU.

Nighthawk definitely gave Hyperion an earful on the subject. But he probably wouldn't go in as hard on Adam because (a.) Adam wasn't on his Earth, and (b.) Nighthawk gets that a Presidential Order forcing you to cease and desist activities is not the same thing as a hero freely choosing to ignore all of the racism, oppression and violence prevalent in the country. I think Kane would look at Adam, shake his head, walk away and have nothing to do with him. Pretty much like what I do now with these rappers who support Trump.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    And yet, here we are with no Black Panther book in sight. Maybe Marvel forgot how much His movie made.

Sure, but I'm sure they KNEW they were making a movie for her long before it was announced and actively trying to build her up for it. They clearly wanted their own Wonder Woman... and perhaps surprisingly it actually worked pretty well.

If Blue Marvel or Sentry were getting movies, I'll wager marvel would actively be trying to give them a stronger presence in the books too.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    And yet, here we are with no Black Panther book in sight. Maybe Marvel forgot how much His movie made.
    In addition to his monthly, since getting a movie he's gotten Black Panther: World of Wakanda, Black Panther and the Crew, Rise, Black Panther vs Deadpool, Black Panther: Long Live the King, Black Panther: Soul of a Machine, Black Panther: Killmonger, Black Panther: the Sound and the Fury, not to mention Ultimates, Wakanda Forever, Agents of Wakanda and the Shuri book. And thats in addition to young adult books, audio books, and a cartoon.

Results varied, but I think they tried to milk that cow pretty darn hard.

Carol got a pretty nice push headlining Civil War 2 as well.. you can make an arguement on which got a stronger one. But the point being the movie characters got pushed pretty hard.

Invincible Member

Keep in mind the Capt Marvel situation was different, but it's less about Marvel needing or wanting a solo female star and more about controlling that specific trademark. They had licensed it to be used in other media ( cartoons, games, etc) and they certainly weren't going to get DC beat them to a movie.

Even the supposed multiple restarts were about keeping a presence in the minds of comics fans/public. If your title is cancelled yet restarted a month or two later, then the company didn't truly cancel it...it's an attempt to goose sales.