Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    That's a good one. Who are the top single women in the Marvel universe?
    Top female might be Captain Marvel, assuming she's single (I don't read her solo book). Other top candidates might be Black Widow. Both have movies, so they're tough to beat.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Top female might be Captain Marvel, assuming she's single (I don't read her solo book). Other top candidates might be Black Widow. Both have movies, so they're tough to beat.
    Carol is dating Rhodey

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I actually wonder if the Tamara is still Captain Universe. I think the way that works is that you only keep it to deal with one specific problem, then it moves on to find another Captain Universe to deal with some other problem. Though I suppose if someone wanted to, they could change the rules if they still wanted to use her as Captain Universe.
    IIRC, Tamara retained the Captain Universe powers well after the initial crisis was over. It's possible that there is an even larger crisis (crises) looming still. In any event, with everyone calling for a civilian love interest, Tamara would be out of the running. I also don't know if she necessarily adds much more to Blue Marvel's story.

Speaking of bringing something new to the table, what about an alien? I don't mean someone from another country, but from another galaxy.

Quote Originally Posted by HipHopAvenger View Post
    Carol is dating Rhodey
    Are they still dating? The last that I heard was Rhodes died, had his body exhumed and then technologically resurrected by Tony Stark (which kind of makes him Frankenstein Rhodey, or Zombified and Necrotized Rhodey). He was also traumatized and unwilling to don the War Machine armor. I guess they'll have to fix that, since he's supposed to be on the reworked Force Works team.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Mature is a relative term. Since I'm only polling for existing characters, do you have someone in particular in mind who suits your definition of a "mature woman" (and a civilian) for Blue? I'm sure Marvel must have several women as supporting cast who could be a possible candidate.
    Well, someone like perhaps Peggy Carter. Someone who's older been around the block, not interested in living in Avengers mansion or whatever, has her own career, but not a there to be a damsel in distress either. Her function in the story would be to be a suitable partner for a man who has grown children, not just eye candy for the reader. That's just simply not something you see a lot of in Marvel comics these days.Someone who could inspire him and emotionally and intellectually and not just shoot energy rays from her hands. There's interesting things a creative writer could do with that dynamic.

I don't see Marvel doing it, but a good match would be Tony Stark's folk singer mother. She's has an outgoing personally, she's lived through the 60's, 70's etc so she knows first hand the social political issues he had to face, but she'd be have a completely different perspective on it. At the same time they'd have the adult kids ( and with powers) in common. How would dating as an IR couple be different now verses the 70's? How can they make positive change happen in the present? How do they each deal with superhero children? How do they approach romance as an older couple? How do they feel about this more gritty era of supers? How much time to they have together seeing as BM ages slower? A good writer could have a field day with this stuff. That's much more provocative to me than just having him date Sersi or someone.

Invincible Member

Are they still dating? The last that I heard was Rhodes died, had his body exhumed and then technologically resurrected by Tony Stark (which kind of makes him Frankenstein Rhodey, or Zombified and Necrotized Rhodey). He was also traumatized and unwilling to don the War Machine armor. I guess they'll have to fix that, since he's supposed to be on the reworked Force Works team.
    I dropped the comic months ago, but in the Kelly Thompson relaunch of CM, they were still dating.

Got it! If not Monica then what about Ramonda, Tchalla's mom?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Well, someone like perhaps Peggy Carter. Someone who's older been around the block, not interested in living in Avengers mansion or whatever, has her own career, but not a there to be a damsel in distress either. Her function in the story would be to be a suitable partner for a man who has grown children, not just eye candy for the reader. That's just simply not something you see a lot of in Marvel comics these days.Someone who could inspire him and emotionally and intellectually and not just shoot energy rays from her hands. There's interesting things a creative writer could do with that dynamic.

I don't see Marvel doing it, but a good match would be Tony Stark's folk singer mother. She's has an outgoing personally, she's lived through the 60's, 70's etc so she knows first hand the social political issues he had to face, but she'd be have a completely different perspective on it. At the same time they'd have the adult kids ( and with powers) in common. How would dating as an IR couple be different now verses the 70's? How can they make positive change happen in the present? How do they each deal with superhero children? How do they approach romance as an older couple? How do they feel about this more gritty era of supers? How much time to they have together seeing as BM ages slower? A good writer could have a field day with this stuff. That's much more provocative to me than just having him date Sersi or someone.
    You make some excellent points. I agree that Blue doesn't needed run of the mill "eye candy", no matter how young or old that person happens to be. And as someone who dated a couple of women that were 23 and 26 years older than me respectively when I was in my 20s, I am definitely not only familiar with the innate beauty of older women, but the life experiences and unique generational perspective that they bring to a relationship.

Before I posted the question in this thread I was initially thinking of someone like the real life activist, Maya Wiley. (Google her, if the name doesn't ring familiar.) Of course, I couldn't think of any characters like that in Marvel's database. Storm's ancestor Ashake (of Egypt) came to mind, since she is now a living anachronism living in the 21st century, iirc. Blue doesn't believe in magic* according to Doom writer Chris Cantwell, so I thought it would make for an interesting "coffee break date" for him to spend time with one of the more powerful wielders of "white magic." Blue could return the favor by helping Ashake to adjust to the modern era. That she is practically identical to Storm in appearance is slightly problematic, but easily fixed if they draw her as an older version of Storm. Of course, Ashake isn't a civilian.

I'm entertaining the possibilities of a civilian paramour more and more, but I worry that everyone knows Adam's identity. Whomever the woman is, no matter how phenomenal, outside of PIS, if she dates Blue Marvel she's no longer just a civilian, she's an obvious weakness at most and potential collateral damage at the very least. Then again, I guess Adam could implant a teleportation device in her (with her permission, of course) that allows her to port to a safe place whenever danger threatens. But even then that would require her to be consciously aware of the danger. Adam's foes like King Hyperion could easily kill her before she even knew he was within range.

* I disagree with Cantwell here. It's a mischaracterization. Blue may not subscribe to magic, but he's seen and experienced enough of it -- from Shuma Gorath to Doctor Doom -- to know that it's a very real force in the Marvel universe.

Got it! If not Monica then what about Ramonda, Tchalla's mom?
    That's interesting. I'm still waiting for Blue Marvel to visit Wakanda. I wonder how he would be received.

At times like this with George Floyd protests raging all around the US -- even across the Atlantic to the UK and Germany -- one wonders what Adam Brashear would think and feel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

You make some excellent points. I agree that Blue doesn't needed run of the mill "eye candy", no matter how young or old that person happens to be. And as someone who dated a couple of women that were 23 and 26 years older than me respectively when I was in my 20s, I am definitely not only familiar with the innate beauty of older women, but the life experiences and unique generational perspective that they bring to a relationship.

Before I posted the question in this thread I was initially thinking of someone like the real life activist, Maya Wiley. (Google her, if the name doesn't ring familiar.) Of course, I couldn't think of any characters like that in Marvel's database. Storm's ancestor Ashake (of Egypt) came to mind, since she is now a living anachronism living in the 21st century, iirc. Blue doesn't believe in magic* according to Doom writer Chris Cantwell, so I thought it would make for an interesting "coffee break date" for him to spend time with one of the more powerful wielders of "white magic." Blue could return the favor by helping Ashake to adjust to the modern era. That she is practically identical to Storm in appearance is slightly problematic, but easily fixed if they draw her as an older version of Storm. Of course, Ashake isn't a civilian.

I'm entertaining the possibilities of a civilian paramour more and more, but I worry that everyone knows Adam's identity. Whomever the woman is, no matter how phenomenal, outside of PIS, if she dates Blue Marvel she's no longer just a civilian, she's an obvious weakness at most and potential collateral damage at the very least. Then again, I guess Adam could implant a teleportation device in her (with her permission, of course) that allows her to port to a safe place whenever danger threatens. But even then that would require her to be consciously aware of the danger. Adam's foes like King Hyperion could easily kill her before she even knew he was within range.

* I disagree with Cantwell here. It's a mischaracterization. Blue may not subscribe to magic, but he's seen and experienced enough of it -- from Shuma Gorath to Doctor Doom -- to know that it's a very real force in the Marvel universe.
    Adam has plenty of allies and team mates that can protect any civilians in his life. There's no reason for superheroes to have a network for this kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Adam has plenty of allies and team mates that can protect any civilians in his life. There's no reason for superheroes to have a network for this kind of thing.
    And yet, Candace Brashear was killed not a stone's throw away from a bunch of heroes that included Adam, Reed Richards, Sentry and the Avengers.

The bad guys always attack heroes through their loved ones. It seems logical to me that Adam would at least seriously consider the dangers before taking up with a nonpowered civilian.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

At times like this with George Floyd protests raging all around the US -- even across the Atlantic to the UK and Germany -- one wonders what Adam Brashear would think and feel.
    Bro in all honesty it could be a scary situation. Imagine if for just one moment there is the slightest loss of restraint, the type of destruction Adam could visit on this planet is kind of crazy. Also imagine if other heroes start taking sides and some agree with lashing out at America and some fighting against this faction.

Bro in all honesty it could be a scary situation. Imagine if for just one moment there is the slightest loss of restraint, the type of destruction Adam could visit on this planet is kind of crazy. Also imagine if other heroes start taking sides and some agree with lashing out at America and some fighting against this faction.
    Adams really not the type to do that tough. He saw that during the Civil Rights era. For better or for worse he stayed out of it, and allowed himself to be benched when the government told him too. He's probably one of the least likely heroes to just lash out like that, based on his history.

Invincible Member

Adams really not the type to do that tough. He saw that during the Civil Rights era. For better or for worse he stayed out of it, and allowed himself to be benched when the government told him too. He's probably one of the least likely heroes to just lash out like that, based on his history.
    I agree. He would probably regret that he wasn't more active during the civil rights era and/or the 80's but he wouldn't go on a violent rampage.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing a BM story that deals with this subject. It's all well and good that he can crush a mountain with his hands, but how do you defeat a system that incentivizes police ( even black ones) to behave in racist ways?