Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Norrin Radd: Silver Surfer Appreciation 2020

This is the place to discuss Norrin Radd, The Silver Surfer.

Norrin starts out 2020 appearing in two new comics. He is in Tarot #1 as one of the Defenders, and he appears in Thor #1 as one of the Heralds of Galactus.

Sure would like to see chrome dome get another ongoing.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Amazing Member

signing in

Popping in as a new Silver Surfer fan. I never was too fond of the cosmic side of Marvel and enjoyed the more 'street level' characters such as Daredevil, Spidey, Ms. Marvel more. However, based on reviews I decided to buy the Silver Surfer by Slott omnibus to see if it's as good as they say. After finishing it yesterday I can only say that this is one of the best comic runs that I've read in my entire life. I am someone who rarely gets emotional. I have never cried during a movie or a book before. Never in my life. But at the ending to Slott's run I did. I cried reading the last two issues. For me that is saying a lot, as I've said, this never happened before. I was so invested in this story that I am still sad and venting my feelings on a forum just to cope with it.

Slott's writing is absolutely masterful. The way everything ties together in both runs is amazing. I have never really cared for Norrin but he made the character likeable and relatable whilst being insanely powerful. And then we have the most important addition to Slott's Surfer run, Dawn Greenwood. I absolutely love the way she is introduced and written. She felt especially relatable to me as I've never really delved in cosmic stories before. Through Dawn, Slott really breaks it down for someone who is not so familiar with cosmic Marvel. A amazing addition to the Marvel universe and I hope to see her again some time.

Art-wise it's nothing short of stunning. I have found myself staring at pages many times while reading through the run. The Allreds really nailed it and were perfectly in sync with Slott's writing. From the use of colours to the shape of the galaxies and universes themselves, the art is some of the best I've seen in recent years.

This was a comic experience that I haven't had in years and years. Most of you in here have probably read it. But for those who haven't yet. Please do so, you'll thank me later.
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I’m re-reading SS: Black for the second time, and I’m just as in love with it now, as I did then. I really hope to see Cates develop him more as time moves on.

Extraordinary Member

I have a feeling that the Silver Surfer is going to be big going into the new decade, especially with the cosmic stuff getting a push.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I have a feeling that the Silver Surfer is going to be big going into the new decade, especially with the cosmic stuff getting a push.
    Agreed. And lets hope both the writing & art can equal (or maybe even transcend) the greatness of past story-lines.

I don't want Norrin being a herald again. For Galactus or anyone else. I'm done with that angle.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

So I think we’re all pretty high in Silver Surfer: Black and it seems like a lot of people wanted to see Cates on an ongoing Surfer book?

I was listening to a podcast though and Cates said that whilst he’d "never say never", he’d pretty much "said what he wanted to say" with him.

With that said, who do you guys think should take the reins going forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    So I think we’re all pretty high in Silver Surfer: Black and it seems like a lot of people wanted to see Cates on an ongoing Surfer book?

I was listening to a podcast though and Cates said that whilst he’d "never say never", he’d pretty much "said what he wanted to say" with him.

With that said, who do you guys think should take the reins going forward?
    christopher priest as a writer. as an artist...?

Extraordinary Member

I do think we will see more of the Surfer throughout the line, I just don't think he'll get a mini for a while.

And I really haven't had a problem with his return to being a Herald. Both he and Galactus have been allowed to keep some of their past characterizations and Norrin's place in the larger MU feels much bigger than it in years past.

Walt Simonson as writer, because we know he can do epic; I'm not sure who I'd want on art.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

I’d like to see Christian Ward or Mike del Mundo take on art duties on a Silver Surfer book. As for the writer, it’d probably be a toss up between Aaron or Ewing.

I really wouldn't trust Aaron.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Norrin starts out 2020 appearing in two new comics. He is in Tarot #1 as one of the Defenders, and he appears in Thor #1 as one of the Heralds of Galactus.
    The comicbook character Galactus has more than one herald now