Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Norrin Radd: Silver Surfer Appreciation 2020

This is the place to discuss Norrin Radd, The Silver Surfer.

Norrin starts out 2020 appearing in two new comics. He is in Tarot #1 as one of the Defenders, and he appears in Thor #1 as one of the Heralds of Galactus.

Sure would like to see chrome dome get another ongoing.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Amazing Member

signing in

Popping in as a new Silver Surfer fan. I never was too fond of the cosmic side of Marvel and enjoyed the more 'street level' characters such as Daredevil, Spidey, Ms. Marvel more. However, based on reviews I decided to buy the Silver Surfer by Slott omnibus to see if it's as good as they say. After finishing it yesterday I can only say that this is one of the best comic runs that I've read in my entire life. I am someone who rarely gets emotional. I have never cried during a movie or a book before. Never in my life. But at the ending to Slott's run I did. I cried reading the last two issues. For me that is saying a lot, as I've said, this never happened before. I was so invested in this story that I am still sad and venting my feelings on a forum just to cope with it.

Slott's writing is absolutely masterful. The way everything ties together in both runs is amazing. I have never really cared for Norrin but he made the character likeable and relatable whilst being insanely powerful. And then we have the most important addition to Slott's Surfer run, Dawn Greenwood. I absolutely love the way she is introduced and written. She felt especially relatable to me as I've never really delved in cosmic stories before. Through Dawn, Slott really breaks it down for someone who is not so familiar with cosmic Marvel. A amazing addition to the Marvel universe and I hope to see her again some time.

Art-wise it's nothing short of stunning. I have found myself staring at pages many times while reading through the run. The Allreds really nailed it and were perfectly in sync with Slott's writing. From the use of colours to the shape of the galaxies and universes themselves, the art is some of the best I've seen in recent years.

This was a comic experience that I haven't had in years and years. Most of you in here have probably read it. But for those who haven't yet. Please do so, you'll thank me later.
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I’m re-reading SS: Black for the second time, and I’m just as in love with it now, as I did then. I really hope to see Cates develop him more as time moves on.

Extraordinary Member

I have a feeling that the Silver Surfer is going to be big going into the new decade, especially with the cosmic stuff getting a push.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Batmil View Post
    Popping in as a new Silver Surfer fan. I never was too fond of the cosmic side of Marvel and enjoyed the more 'street level' characters such as Daredevil, Spidey, Ms. Marvel more.
    I got fond of the Silver Surfer character because of his one-color look from head-to-toe and the to me way cool surfboard.

BANNED

Fantastic Four #155 Feb 1975
    "Battle Royal!" Guest-starring the Silver Surfer
    The Fantastic Four's afternoon walk through Central Park is interrupted...first, by a gang of thugs,
    and then by the Silver Surfer! Why is the former herald of Galactus attacking the FF?

The surfer reveals in a surprising development that he's located

his beloved Shalla Bal in a castle in the Balkans! Two major problems though:

the castle is located in Latveria...and the castle is occupied by Doctor Doom!

Script by Len Wein. Art by Rich Buckler (layouts) and Joe Sinnott (finishes).

BANNED

Silver Surfer #14 Mar 1970
    "The Surfer and the Spider!"
    The Silver Surfer saves the Earth once again when two meteors are about to collide above the Earth.
    He stops it from happening but is sent plummeting toward the planet.

He travels to the surface above New York City.
    As he is flying, Spider-Man accidentally webs to the Surfer's board.

Spider-Man wants the Surfer to bring him down but the Surfer does not trust him.
    Spider-Man uses his web to make the Surfer fall from his board.
    But the board follows to save the Surfer from the fall, pulling Spider-Man with it.

The Surfer cuts his web but saves him from his fall as well.
    A boy sees the Surfer pass his window and travels to the roof to watch.
    Spider-Man finds the Surfer and through misunderstanding, they begin to fight.

The US Army begins evacuating the area where they battle. They fire on the Surfer,

who calls his board. He does not know that the boy is standing on it though.

He uses all of his strength to protect the boy while taking all the explosions from the army.
    The Surfer is weakened but may have finally gotten what he has always wanted:
    humans to no longer view him as a menace.
    The Army and Spider-Man realize that the Surfer is no menace, but a hero.

NOTE: This is the first meeting between Spider-Man and The Silver Surfer.

Written by Stan Lee. Art by John Buscema and Dan Adkins.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

I'll be posting some SS art here too

By Rafael Albuquerque

By EspenG

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Norrin starts out 2020 appearing in two new comics. He is in Tarot #1 as one of the Defenders, and he appears in Thor #1 as one of the Heralds of Galactus.
    The comicbook character Galactus has more than one herald now

BANNED

Silver Surfer #12 Jan 1970
    "Gather, Ye Witches!"
    Can even the Silver Surfer hope to survive an encounter with the awesome might of the Abomination,

a creature whose strength rivals that of the Incredible Hulk himself?

Written by Stan Lee. Art by John Buscema and Dan Adkins.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Top 5 best Silver Surfer stories??

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    Top 5 best Silver Surfer stories??
    1. "The Coming of Galactus!" - Fantastic Four #48

2. "If This Be Doomsday!" - Fantastic Four #49

3. "The Startling Saga of the Silver Surfer!" - Fantastic Four #50

4. "Parable" - Silver Surfer: Parable

5. "Deeply Buried Secrets!" - Silver Surfer #50

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    1. "The Coming of Galactus!" - Fantastic Four #48

2. "If This Be Doomsday!" - Fantastic Four #49

3. "The Startling Saga of the Silver Surfer!" - Fantastic Four #50

4. "Parable" - Silver Surfer: Parable

5. "Deeply Buried Secrets!" - Silver Surfer #50
    The Galactus Trilogy can count as one! Never read Parable but I know I need to from all the reviews.