Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

I don't mind if people find names like that silly or goofy, most superhero names are. I just don't like the implication that a name like Black Lightning is racist. I'm Black and I and most of my friends think it's a pretty dope title. And considering how many black artists have some variation of the word in their name, I don't see it as a problem. Of course, if you just think Black Lightning is a stupid name that's fine, but just say that instead.

BANNED

I’m black and I never found it racist either. I always assumed he was called Black Lightning cause he can generate black lightning. Thinking about it now I’m trying to figure out why some other characters get Black put in front of their aliases

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Valentonis View Post
    I don't mind if people find names like that silly or goofy, most superhero names are. I just don't like the implication that a name like Black Lightning is racist. I'm Black and I and most of my friends think it's a pretty dope title. And considering how many black artists have some variation of the word in their name, I don't see it as a problem. Of course, if you just think Black Lightning is a stupid name that's fine, but just say that instead.
    I don't recall anybody having a problem with the Black-named superheroes back in the '70s. Yeah, they seem out of date today, but they weren't considered racist at the time they were created. For those who were there, it was an offshoot of the "Black is beautiful" effort of the late '60s.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Black Lightning's name definitely lends itself well to his show's theme song .

From what I can tell, it's the evolution -- "Black" starting out as a proud declaration after having been marginalized for so long, then copied until it becomes cliched, then it becomes "why does every black character need "black" in their name as though their race is still their main defining feature?"

BANNED

No, the creators were well intentioned, but why would people start calling Jefferson Black Lightning in universe, considering the sliding time scale. Either he chose the name or the in universe media focused on his race when they didn't for Wonder Woman or Aquaman. His occasional black lightning generation has never been a part of his origin in any medium but is something that develops later in his career because some writers try to justify the name.

BANNED

I've never seen a Black Canary before, is that forced too? What about Black Adam?
    Black Canary is forced but not for racial reasons. She wears black a lot and has a screeching power. Seems like the some thought went into that codename, but I don't get why Dinah or anyone else would think that's the coolest, scariest, most iconic, or most sensible thing to go by. I would say her concept as a character is sexist, since the idea is that she's a screeching woman.

The "black" in Black Adam refers to his moral character, like being blackhearted. It's more of a royal or historical designation, like Richard the Lionheart, Lorenzo the Magnificent, Alexander the Great, Brave Achilles, Falstaff the Fat, Garth the Gross, etc.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 01-15-2020 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    From what I can tell, it's the evolution -- "Black" starting out as a proud declaration after having been marginalized for so long, then copied until it becomes cliched, then it becomes "why does every black character need "black" in their name as though their race is still their main defining feature?"
    Exactly. When I was a kid, African-Americans were finally saying it loud that they were black and proud (yes, I'm a huge James Brown fan ). It made absolute sense at the time, but less so now.

I’m Black as well and the name has never bothered me either

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Exactly. When I was a kid, African-Americans were finally saying it loud that they were black and proud (yes, I'm a huge James Brown fan ). It made absolute sense at the time, but less so now.
    I don’t see why it would make less sense now. I’m proud to be Black. Same thing with all of my friends that are Black and my family as well.

BANNED

Watching movies like Malcom X I could see why it was something that was being built towards.

I’m not that old so I don’t know a lot about these periods about “I’m Black and I’m proud” but given it use to be popular for black people to try and have a more white person aesthetic where they’d do stuff like put chemicals in their hair to mimic the hair of white people or generally just people with hair that’s “smoother?” Can’t thing of the word just to have an appearance they think is more “presentable”. Not sure what other measures were taken for stuff like this.

I’m sure characters like Black Lightning with a full on Afro or Luke Cage though were characters that were definitely great to show natural is beautiful. But that’s just an assumption on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    I don’t see why it would make less sense now. I’m proud to be Black. Same thing with all of my friends that are Black and my family as well.
    I don't have a problem with it myself, but it's not as necessary for it to occur today (at least for the vast majority of Black superheroes).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    I'm black too, and I do have a problem with it. I call myself black, but I don't introduce myself as Black Paul or Black Matthew.

I don't know anyone who wants to be introduced as Black Firefighter or Black Nurse, even if they're part of black organizations.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Watching movies like Malcom X I could see why it was something that was being built towards.

I’m not that old so I don’t know a lot about these periods about “I’m Black and I’m proud” but given it use to be popular for black people to try and have a more white person aesthetic where they’d do stuff like put chemicals in their hair to mimic the hair of white people or generally just people with hair that’s “smoother?” Can’t thing of the word just to have an appearance they think is more “presentable”. Not sure what other measures were taken for stuff like this.

I’m sure characters like Black Lightning with a full on Afro or Luke Cage though were characters that were definitely great to show natural is beautiful. But that’s just an assumption on my part.
    Actually, back then Jefferson had short hair and the afro was part of his mask

BANNED

Did not know that. That’s really kind of weird ��