Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

There are no heroes that I can think of that don't belong in the JL. Whether they should be a regular, part time, or honorary member is the question.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    JLU was early 2000s, but I'll give you Legends since that was recent (although her depiction there could have been better). There was also the Vixen animated "series" on CW Seed, which also could have been handled better in terms of how they could better marketed the show and the run-time of each "episode". She was also included in the "Injustice 2" video game, but only as a premier skin for Cheetah and not her own character with her own signature styles, powersets and moves, which made no sense, since Vixen can mimic ALL animals, not just cheetahs.

But all momentum that Vixen recently had in other media seems to have come to a standstill. They didn't even put her in either iteration of "Superhero Girls", a show in which she would have been a natural fit. Bumblebee would be the tech whiz and Vixen could have been the fashion guru/fashion designer/teenage model/teenage social justice/animal rights crusader. But instead they decided to throw Harley Quinn in there, of all people.

So for me it's not only is she being used, but HOW she is being used if/when she shows up anywhere.
    Well, Power Girl also was not in Superhero Girls and has much less media play than Vixen. So, I feel your pain there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Honestly I'd rather read a post I dont agree with. You get better conversations out of knocking your views together than you do when all you can say is "I agree!"
    ^^^lol, fair enough!
    It’s just, post after post of “character X stomps” gets really old really quick!

I came into MHA late too. Last September or something maybe. Someone posted a video of All Might here (comparing his powers to Golden Age Superman) and I thought my kids might like it. Turns out I enjoy it just as much as they do. Maybe more, actually. And have since binged the first three seasons and all the English manga.
    That’s nice bit of binging!
    For me, the first season, season and a half was a chore only in that Geku seemed to burst into tears in every scene.
    My spouse wasn’t even watching w. me, and she noticed. Now when i’m watching current eps she keeps poking fun at the poor kid...

Honestly I'd rather read a post I dont agree with. You get better conversations out of knocking your views together than you do when all you can say is "I agree!"

I came into MHA late too. Last September or something maybe. Someone posted a video of All Might here (comparing his powers to Golden Age Superman) and I thought my kids might like it. Turns out I enjoy it just as much as they do. Maybe more, actually. And have since binged the first three seasons and all the English manga.
    The MHA bug got me too, completely took over my life for a good 3-4 months.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    There are no heroes that I can think of that don't belong in the JL. Whether they should be a regular, part time, or honorary member is the question.
    Yeah I agree. The question very much invokes the question of what you think the League should be to begin with. Is it an exclusive modern pantheon of gods, a broader mixed family-style cast, or an all-encompassing institution with a rotating roll call? Many fit into one or both of the latter two but don't quite fit into the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Yeah I agree. The question very much invokes the question of what you think the League should be to begin with. Is it an exclusive modern pantheon of gods, a broader mixed family-style cast, or an all-encompassing institution with a rotating roll call? Many fit into one or both of the latter two but don't quite fit into the first.
    I like that the League can be different things with each lineup/creative team just so there are new and interesting takes on the team dynamic.

BANNED

The Trinity. JL Year One was appreciated because it didn’t push the notion that a certain inner group of a group was superior then the others. It’s funny though cause you could take the Trinity out and sells would probably drop but if you make a book that focuses on The Trinity if doesn’t sell as well as The justice League title. Could be how the books are handled though. Whole Trinity concept though is why I hesitate to pick up a JL title at times and Snyder go guns blazing with the concept of “Here’s the JL, but here’s the members who really matter”

I like the JL Odyssey roster wasn’t big on the New Gods thing being pushed but given it was a ploy I guess I could overlook it.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I'd say Red Hood but I feel that would be too on the nose, so I'll go a little risque and say Black Lightning. now yes, Black Lightning MORE than deserves to be a Leaguer and it's really overdue that he gets to stand shoulder to shoulder with the biggest names, however, I think Black Lightning shouldn't be a member of the actual Justice League team. the League should be an organization and he should be a member but i've grown to appreciate Black Lightning choosing to work outside the League. he can team up or get called in to help with large scale threats but it would be cool if Black Lightning just took over Outsiders (seeing as he's the most consistent Outsider) and have that he his team; no more Batman and the Outsiders, have it be Black Lightning & the Outsiders or simply (ideally) just The Outsiders.
    Umm… What?!? You’re entitled to your opinion and all, but Black Lightning has been in the league multiple times already, is a powerhouse in his own right, has 2 legacy characters to follow in his footsteps, has longstanding friendships with AT LEAST 4 league stalwarts and most importantly, has a history of carrying his own titles and miniseries since the 70’s (which is one of the major criteria you absolutely need to be in the league) He also would have been in the Superfriends league if it wasn’t for licensing disputes between WB and his creators (which is why the show’s creators came up with Black Vulcan instead)

So, as much as I love Vic and John, Jefferson/Black Lightning should be in the league, instead of them.

Now, as far as I’m concerned the only characters that shouldn’t be in the league are the cutesy, comic relief type characters like G’nort or Plastic Man as they take away the high stakes gravity of the big time situations the league generally faces.

Quote Originally Posted by docmidnite View Post
    Umm… What?!? You’re entitled to your opinion and all, but Black Lightning has been in the league multiple times already, is a powerhouse in his own right, has 2 legacy characters to follow in his footsteps, has longstanding friendships with AT LEAST 4 league stalwarts and most importantly, has a history of carrying his own titles and miniseries since the 70’s (which is one of the major criteria you absolutely need to be in the league) He also would have been in the Superfriends league if it wasn’t for licensing disputes between WB and his creators (which is why the show’s creators came up with Black Vulcan instead)

So, as much as I love Vic and John, Jefferson/Black Lightning should be in the league, instead of them.

Now, as far as I’m concerned the only characters that shouldn’t be in the league are the cutesy, comic relief type characters like G’nort or Plastic Man as they take away the high stakes gravity of the big time situations the league generally faces.
    I'm aware he's been on the League but he only recently was put back on it in the Justice/Doom war since Flashpoint; in fact he turned them down initially. you clearly missed what I said after you said Black Lightning because I said he more than deserves to be in the League but I like him not being on the Justicd League team and I think him taking The Outsiders as his team would be a cool alternative. Not every powerhouse needs to be on the League team, especially since DC has a tendency to have some characters on the JL team matter more than others. as much as I'm a fan of him, Snyder's Justice League is a pretty good example of this. I love BL and I'd just rather he lead his own team and be a heavy to they call in the clutch when shit really hits the fan or when they specifically need him, than to be yet another extremely powerful character waiting like wallpaper to be bossed around by Batman.

edit: also I don't see why needs to be him OR Vic and John. the rule of 3, alive and well I see smh
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 01-06-2020 at 10:49 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Mighty Member

It's odd to me whenever Animal Man or Swamp Thing are in a Justice League team. I feel like their personal responsibilities are so much bigger than that, and as such they should not be constrained by conventional perceptions of justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    That’s nice bit of binging!
    For me, the first season, season and a half was a chore only in that Geku seemed to burst into tears in every scene.
    My spouse wasn’t even watching w. me, and she noticed. Now when i’m watching current eps she keeps poking fun at the poor kid...
    Same here. My wife watched the first.....ten minutes of the pilot maybe, and that was it, but even she's noticed that Midoriya can't go two minutes without crying.

Honestly, one of the things I enjoy most about the show is comparing it to Western comics and culture. So many similarities, and yet so many differences. Like, every hero in MHA is a civil servant, registered, paid, and trained by the government, while most American superheroes are technically vigilantes without any legal support (even if the law turns a blind eye to it, Batman and Superman are still legally criminals). And then there's the cultural stuff; characters like the little pervert Mineta would never work in an American production.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    That's a good point.

I myself prefer the "modern pantheon" concept. The Titans are a mixed family type of group who live and work together (so are the Avengers) but the League is like a Olympic basketball Dream Team; the best players getting together for the really special occasions.

I'm a fan of the "institution/huge organization" idea too, and I think it's worked really well in things like the JLU cartoon and Hickman's Avengers World (which was very clearly a JLA or Legion story adapted to fit Marvel). But unless the League is gonna be a big army like that where virtually everyone gets involved, then I want the League to be the pantheon, not Friends with Superpowers.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    edit: also I don't see why needs to be him OR Vic and John. the rule of 3, alive and well I see smh
    I don't agree with that "rule", but I do see an issue with those characters being on the same team, and that is that they all basically look the same. You can literally take Black Lightning and put him in John Stewart's suit, call him John Stewart, and no one would be the wiser. Cyborg looks slightly different, but still too similar.

Such things have happened before with similar looking characters (Zatanna and Wonder Woman, and even Superman and Batman don't look all that different), but what offsets that is you have other white characters that don't look like them. Having 3 black guys on one team where they all look the same would just be very weird to me, and would draw attention them all looking the same.

That's an issue with everyone though, as you yourself point out. Most of the time everyone is drawn the exact same way and the only real difference is hair style and color. And costume, of course!

It's a bigger problem with some artists than it is others, but even with the artists who make everyone look distinct, there's still damn little difference between a lot of characters. If we roll with it for all the white guys, seems dishonest to call BS on it with our PoC.

Worst case scenario, artists have to make sure John, Jeff, and Vic have different haircuts. Doesn't seem such a horrendous bar to cross if it means having more than one person of color on the team.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

the Titans.they should stay Titans.Dick.Donna.Garth.Wally.Victor ect.leave them be.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Seriously though, this is a good position to take. I prefer to think that any team with individuals like Superman and Wonder Woman on it, due to their *nature*, if not their 'power level', is never going to say to someone, 'You're not good enough for the League. Stick to the minors.' Clark and Diana, in particular, are *nice* people, and seem very likely to honor and respect heroes with less (or no) powers, who fight the good fight, like Batman, Green Arrow, Black Canary, Hawkwoman, etc.

About the only people I'd say don't fit are those that don't fit tonally, like Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew, the Inferior Five or Ambush Bug.

There are a few characters that *should* have bigger responsibilities, like Dr. Fate or Green Lanterns, but the universe seems to run itself just fine with them hanging out on earth, doing a whole heck of a lot of 'not much' for their actual jobs, so, whatev.