Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default So the REAL leading character of SW is Palpatine?

I mean he's through 1-9, everything has been his plan to rule or mess up with the galaxy. Even Rogue One was about his lackery's doing.

BANNED

It's Palpatine's world, we just live in it.

Mighty Member

I guess the bad guy won after all.

No, Palpatine is the main villain, in terms of being behind everything, but the lead characters are the ones who have the story arcs and who's POV the story is told from. To say that Palpatine is the main character would be like saying Sauron is the Hobbit/Lord of the Rings protagonist.

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Let's see, he died and lost his Empire, only to painfully come back and rebuild for a second coming that would use his own granddaughter, only to be killed for good by said granddaughter, who not only worked to wipe out all his work, but actively embraced the Force tradition he had tried to destroy and chose to basically be adopted into the family of his most hated enemies, carrying their name and their legacy into the future. Palpatine lost everything by the time the movies ended.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Well, all the Skywalker's are dead and his grandkid is the most powerful force user in the galaxy. And it's only a matter of time before the truth gets out about Rey's real family. And his odds of coming back from the dead are pretty good. So yeah, you can say he won from a certain point of view.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 01-02-2020 at 08:33 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Kintor View Post
    It's Palpatine's world, we just live in it.
    You are to refer to him as Big Papa Palpatine.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

A series falling back on the same big bad all the time is creatively bankrupt.

iMan 42s

Well..., kind of.
    He's the overarching villain whose actions are responsible for the entire Skywalker saga, he's not the main protagonist. Each era has it's own lead(s) and while it's Palpatine's plans that are the movers and shakers of the story, Palpatine himself is also secondary up until the sequel trilogy where he in a way takes a more direct role.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    A series falling back on the same big bad all the time is creatively bankrupt.
    To be fair, The Disney Trilogy was creatively bankrupt the second they tried to attach it to the Original Trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Well..., kind of.
    He's the overarching villain whose actions are responsible for the entire Skywalker saga, he's not the main protagonist. Each era has it's own lead(s) and while it's Palpatine's plans that are the movers and shakers of the story, Palpatine himself is also secondary up until the sequel trilogy where he in a way takes a more direct role.
    "The Skywalker Saga ended with Return Of The Jedi. Let's call these new movies what they really are, The Palpatine Saga or The Disney Trilogy.

BANNED

If you see Star Wars from Episode I-IX then yeah it's Palpatine's story. TROS definitely shunted Vader out of his seat as overall Saga protagonist. The ST was originally about Vader's legacy so it seemed like it was his story, but TROS makes it the story of Rey and Palpatine.

For me, the story is like this. There's George Lucas' Star Wars from Episode I-VI. That's the Bible while the Disney stuff is apocrypha just as the EU, Legends and everything else is apocrypha, i.e. the stuff the Church fathers said was too weird and contradictory to fit in the canon (which is where the word comes from).

The story is now about the Sith and their defeat. The Prequels are about Palpatine destroying the Republic, the Jedi and corrupting Anakin, the OT and the ST is about Palpatine's Empire and how it faced setbacks, defeat, decay, before its ultimate final destruction.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    To be fair, The Disney Trilogy was creatively bankrupt the second they tried to attach it to the Original Trilogy.
    I don't think that was a bad thing. Issue is it's nostalgia for nostalgia's sake. There's a lot of things that mean something to the audience but absolute Jack to the characters

Having the same antagonist through all of the movies is not a bad thing. It is the Skywalker saga still starting with little Anikin in the desert through the life of Luke and Leia to the death of Ben. I would think that if Abrams was in charge of all three movies that Palatine would have something to do with the 2nd movie. I was like JJ was trying to tell "his" story in 2 movies while trying to fit (retcon) the one that came in-between. It all comes down to Disney mismanagement of an actual plan or have one person that could supervise the direction of the entire story.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    "The Skywalker Saga ended with Return Of The Jedi. Let's call these new movies what they really are, The Palpatine Saga or The Disney Trilogy.
    YEP!!! This is THEE Disney Star Wars Trilogy and doesn't exist in my canon. I'll stick with my original 6 movies, Rogue One, and The Mandalorian is my Star Wars sequel to the movies.
    Plus, all the EU Books and comics that I've collected and read.
    And yes, the last movie should have been called The Rise of Palpatine.
    They couldn't wait to get rid of Luke and classic characters... then they turn around and use the Skywalker name and legacy for boring, beige Rey. BLECH!!! Please.
    Last edited by Hawkgirl_70; 01-03-2020 at 01:24 PM.
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl_70 View Post
    And yes, the last movie should have been called The Rise of Palpatine.
    Why? The movie showed the man's fall, and, in any event, a Skywalker was the lead character.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)