Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Artoo didn't have a lot to do in TLJ and TROS.

You could have made a case for Artoo for the first 6 films and TFA (since Artoo having Luke's co-ordinates is important to the plot there).

TROS gives Palpatine primary agency. He created Snoke, he corrupted Kylo, subverted the New Republic and is the ancestor of the hero of the ST. This in addition to his role in the PT and OT.
    The R2 thing is meant as a joke, having the same antagonist through out the franchise is not bad as having characters through out is not. Heck Chewy is the only one left for the originals maybe it's his story. No one was saying that the Middle Earth movies were about Sauron after he was wedged into the Hobbit trilogy. It was Luke and Leia that was smiling down on Rey at the end and not Sheev, though if they would have added Anakin and Ben Solo (or at lest Ben) it would have been the family was together at last.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 01-08-2020 at 09:17 AM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    The R2 thing is meant as a joke, having the same antagonist through out the franchise is not bad as having characters through out. Heck Chewy is the only one left for the originals maybe it's his story. No on was saying that the Middle Earth movies were about Sauron after he was wedged into the Hobbit trilogy. It was Luke and Leia that was smiling down on Rey at the end, though it they would have added Anakin and Ben Solo (or at lest Ben) it would have been the family was together at last.
    Really surprised they didn't add Anakin and Ben, especially given that Ben disappeared into the Force just as Leia had. I wouldn't be opposed if they 'special edition'd the conclusion and worked them in.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Really surprised they didn't add Anakin and Ben, especially given that Ben disappeared into the Force just as Leia had. I wouldn't be opposed if they 'special edition'd the conclusion and worked them in.
    My understanding is that Luke and Leia were alone partially to let the scene function as a good-bye to those characters, which would've been gummed up with more there.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I don't get the criticism about the burial site. The memories of Tatooine weren't that great for any of them, but the farm wasn't a bad place. Luke was loved there. Plus, where else to do such a thing? Alderaan? Gone. Naboo? Neither twin ever set foot on their mother's home planet. Ach-to? Meaningful to the Jedi, not so much of a tie to Skywalkers specifically. The Lars farm is really the only logical place. Its reaching to try and make Rey look like a dolt for choosing it. And that's not even mentioning the entirely symbolic nature of it in the first place being the genuine first locale of the entire series.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    My understanding is that Luke and Leia were alone partially to let the scene function as a good-bye to those characters, which would've been gummed up with more there.
    Understandable, but still, this was the final episode in what's billed as a nine-part 'Skywalker Saga.' Really think Anakin and Ben should have been there, too. One big happy and all that. But I'm sure had that been the case, the question would have been where's Obi-Wan and Yoda?

They could have had Luke and Leia there together and then have Anaking and Ben join them, I think that would have been a fitting end to the Skywalker saga. That it would have been a little of an nod to the end of ROTJ also when Anakin joined Yoda and Obi-Wan as a "force ghost".

Also I kind of wish that Rey would have said Solo instead of Skywalker at the end. Both Han and Leia as the sergeant parents for her and JJ put it a "brother-sister relationship" between her and Ben with uncle Luke in the mix Solo seemed more fitting.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 01-08-2020 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Understandable, but still, this was the final episode in what's billed as a nine-part 'Skywalker Saga.' Really think Anakin and Ben should have been there, too. One big happy and all that. But I'm sure had that been the case, the question would have been where's Obi-Wan and Yoda?
    They could have had Luke and Leia there together and then have Anaking and Ben join them, I think that would have been a fitting end to the Skywalker saga. That it would have been a little of an nod to the end of ROTJ also when Anakin joined Yoda and Obi-Wan as a "force ghost".

Also I kind of wish that Rey would have said Solo instead of Skywalker at the end. Both Han and Leia as the sergeant parents for her and JJ put it a "brother-sister relationship" between her and Ben with uncle Luke in the mix Solo seemed more fitting.
    Well, Luke and Leia were the ones who formally mentored her. The former had been a hero of sorts to her (rough meeting, but they did make peace at the end) and the latter had really opened up to her and been one of the people who made the Resistance a home for her, so it makes sense she'd take their name (Han and her were very much a "what could've been" thing for her, I think). While she did make peace with Kylo/Ben before the end, they didn't really know each other that long. While they might've had an unique perspectives, given their shared experiences and all that, I'm not sure it was the same, so it made sense not to have him there. On top of that, having Luke and Leia there wasn't only our good-bye, but also worked as them approving her carrying on what they started, but also her "adoption" into the family. Kylo/Ben could not do that (having not been a part of that legacy for years, not being a Skywalker, or the person who needed to approve), so his not being there makes total sense.

Mileage may vary.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Well, Luke and Leia were the ones who formally mentored her. The former had been a hero of sorts to her (rough meeting, but they did make peace at the end) and the latter had really opened up to her and been one of the people who made the Resistance a home for her, so it makes sense she'd take their name (Han and her were very much a "what could've been" thing for her, I think). While she did make peace with Kylo/Ben before the end, they didn't really know each other that long. While they might've had an unique perspectives, given their shared experiences and all that, I'm not sure it was the same, so it made sense not to have him there. On top of that, having Luke and Leia there wasn't only our good-bye, but also worked as them approving her carrying on what they started, but also her "adoption" into the family. Kylo/Ben could not do that (having not been a part of that legacy for years, not being a Skywalker, or the person who needed to approve), so his not being there makes total sense.

Mileage may vary.
    I was thinking more that it would be the end of the Skywalker era of Star Wars that even the name fades to legend. I like Rey, I hope there is actually more to her and the others stories and really look forward to seeing them if they do happen. But I didn't feel like this was end of the Skywalker Saga that started with little Anakin and ended with Ben Solo. It seemed more Rey focused is all. I think adding Anakin and Ben would link all three trilogies together it end it all and really signify the ending of the story the 9 movies tells. It could have happened with Anakin and Ben being added after she turned her back to watch the binary sunset or something like that.

Mighty Member

I was thinking more that it would be the end of the Skywalker era of Star Wars that even the name fades to legend. I like Rey, I hope there is actually more to her and the others stories and really look forward to seeing them if they do happen. But I didn't feel like this was end of the Skywalker Saga that started with little Anakin and ended with Ben Solo. It seemed more Rey focused is all. I think adding Anakin and Ben would link all three trilogies together it end it all and really signify the ending of the story the 9 movies tells. It could have happened with Anakin and Ben being added after she turned her back to watch the binary sunset or something like that.
    I think if Anakin had appeared (as was rumored) behind Rey while she was fighting Palpatine, it'd have made more sense for him to appear w/his kids. It's a bit of a non sequitur if he only appears at the end. As to Ben, take it or leave it - we already knew he was redeemed because of the circumstances of his death and how he disappeared. Seeing the whole family together may have been nice, to be sure, but Luke and Leia together was really beautiful
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    I think if Anakin had appeared (as was rumored) behind Rey while she was fighting Palpatine, it'd have made more sense for him to appear w/his kids. It's a bit of a non sequitur if he only appears at the end. As to Ben, take it or leave it - we already knew he was redeemed because of the circumstances of his death and how he disappeared. Seeing the whole family together may have been nice, to be sure, but Luke and Leia together was really beautiful
    I think it would have been cool when Ben was having his crisis of conscience and his mind created Han to help him through it that it would have also included Luke and Leia too even if it was only just to have all three of them together one last time.

I think it's still Anakin, but I can see where you are coming from. From Episode 1 - 6 it was all about him, and Palpatine was just a Villain and we saw more of a story arc with Anakin. The original trilogy was really centered on Anakin or as we knew him then as Darth Vader. When the second trilogy came out it seemed like they were trying to make an arc for Palpatine but it still did not match Anakin's. As for the new trilogy, the first two movies, I feel like they tried to put a story on Kylo arc witch in my opinion, worked really well in the end. I feel like in Episode 9 they were trying to start a story arc with Palpatine and having Rey being his granddaughter they are maybe trying to do the same with the Palpatines as they did with the Skywalkers. So if we are talking about the Original and second trilogy then no, Palpatine was not the real lead character, Anakin was.
    Last edited by Nicholas Occomore; 03-20-2020 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    So now it can be viewed through the lens of.

PT: Rise of the Emperor
    OT: Fall of the Emperor
    ST: Revenge of the Emperor.
    I think this sums well all the movies, we have how he gets the power over the galaxy and rules, how he gets betrayed and falls, and how he come back, destroys the traitors families Solo, Amidala and Skywalker for good and let his granddaughter as the most powerful force being in the whole galaxy.

The galaxy without him is a whole corrupted and self destroying mess, he is still worshiped for a good bunch of the galaxy and every Jedi has been destroyed before he dies.
    "And you eater of world. May you taste our righteous fire, And choke on it. For my planet's sake, I spit my last breath at thee"

Mighty Member

I don't know whether he's the leading character but he's definitely the victor.
    Lucas once described Sta Wars as a 'fairytale', but it's the only fairytale I know of where the entire bloodline of the hero is wiped out and the villain's descendant lives.

Ultimate Member

His return messes things up so badly, what a dumb and poorly thought out decision.

Also the Tatooine scene made no sense either BTW.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    I don't know whether he's the leading character but he's definitely the victor.
    Lucas once described Sta Wars as a 'fairytale', but it's the only fairytale I know of where the entire bloodline of the hero is wiped out and the villain's descendant lives.
    Bloodline doesn't mean **** when it comes to family. People marry in, they also adopt, some people also drop the family name and take on a new one. The people you surround yourself with can be just as much family as the people you're biologically related to.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.