Page 9 of 57 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Cute… but, honestly, who has bigger Daddy issues than Quicksilver?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

I feel like Pietro and Lorna were always struggling before Lorna seems to have found peace or at least decided there were bigger fish to fry, while Pietro is still struggling even now. Like you can tell he’s just too proud to admit he does love his father because of how bad things got between them after M-Day and his continuous inability to admit to Feelings. In his last mini, Pietro’s time clones chased after Magneto while he rushes to save him. That indecision between love and hate is interesting. Which is still more healthy than what Wanda did: repress and avoid until it bursts out when under stress in the worst way possible. It’s a pity that it turned out her therapist was just a convenient enemy in her last solo: she really could have used the support as well as frank cognitive behavioral therapy that Agatha just can’t provide as a close personal friend and mentor. If nothing else, it’s given Pietro a place to vent.

And of course, the Doylian explanation is that the X-office and Avengers office rarely talk to each other unless forced to, and even then with gritted teeth.

December is something big they can't talk about yet, oh and its the month that Wanda's TV show comes out. We probably should learn more by SDCC.

Quote Originally Posted by teapartyofthedead View Post
    I feel like Pietro and Lorna were always struggling before Lorna seems to have found peace or at least decided there were bigger fish to fry, while Pietro is still struggling even now. Like you can tell he’s just too proud to admit he does love his father because of how bad things got between them after M-Day and his continuous inability to admit to Feelings. In his last mini, Pietro’s time clones chased after Magneto while he rushes to save him. That indecision between love and hate is interesting. Which is still more healthy than what Wanda did: repress and avoid until it bursts out when under stress in the worst way possible. It’s a pity that it turned out her therapist was just a convenient enemy in her last solo: she really could have used the support as well as frank cognitive behavioral therapy that Agatha just can’t provide as a close personal friend and mentor. If nothing else, it’s given Pietro a place to vent.

And of course, the Doylian explanation is that the X-office and Avengers office rarely talk to each other unless forced to, and even then with gritted teeth.
    When you have seen 16 millions people burn and die and experience their last moments on this Earth repeating in your head for weeks it puts life in prospective or at least it should.
    Last edited by jmc247; 02-29-2020 at 07:32 AM.

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

I seemed to recall after Lorna discovered her origins and how her mother died (in X-Factor, I believe, the Multiple Man led version), she said she can go forever without seeing him or the rest of the family. It’s why she lashed out at Pietro when he showed up to an alert about out of control bar patron. When did Lorna meet Magneto again after that? If she didn’t see her father until after learning Pietro (and Wanda) weren’t related to them, all while the Terrigen crises was going down, I can definitely see Lorna deciding to put any problems she had with Max aside.

It’s so sad. In many important ways, Pietro was closer to Lorna than Wanda. Maybe because they started out as friends and that formed the basis of their familial relationship, or they simply had more in common. Not that Pietro and Wanda aren’t close, but it’s sometimes feel like Wanda doesn’t even like her brother but only puts up with him because he is her brother. Whereas as Pietro and Lorna actually talk to each other and joke like friends and siblings do. It was a fascinating contrast, and in some ways seem to even mirror the relationship Pietro has to his respective teams of the Avengers and X-Men.

Do you know in which issue they first met? They seem to already be familiar when Pietro first shows up in X-Factor. Was it during the first appearance of the Sentinels?

In regards to December, I am torn. I’m hyped for Pietro to regain his status as the Son of M, and also worried for Wanda. It always feels like just as one twin is on the road to recovery, the other has started to take a pummeling.
    Last edited by teapartyofthedead; 02-29-2020 at 05:51 AM.

Astonishing Member

I think it’s been apparent for a while that while they’ll always be siblings and have each other’s backs when the chips are down; the twins don’t like each other much at all. Most of its Pietro’s fault for trying to control Wanda at times, but it’s also a familiarity breeds contempt thing.

It’s not unrealistic for it to happen with siblings. God knows I personally dislike my sibling and vice versa

Some relationships are for better or worse trapped by their early foundations. Pietro and Wanda's are sort of in that boat where writers have at moments tried new things, but they never last very long and default to a kind of resentful familiarity. Pietro and Lorna were able to start fresh in the early 90s and without baggage. The only reason their relationship didn't die in 1993 though was their mutual connection to Magneto brought them together on Genosha and their shared connection to the island after its destruction.

Some of the concepts that were executed in second and third runs of X-Factor with the family didn't entirely pan out or were doomed from their inception. The idea that Lorna was self-blaming and lashing out at Pietro and Magneto by proxy was a complicated bit of business. A side story for and arc or two is one thing, but PAD tried to carry it on as a multi year plot and turn it into a central feature of their pathos. That wasn't going to hold for characters when the run was over and Lorna and Magneto's relationship defaulted to something akin to what it had been previously.

The same for rushing the Wanda and Lorna as BFF sisters. Now that one needed many years of development to get to that point and it had to get over the twin hurdles of Decimation and Magneto which the art at the top of the page saw in neon headlights as a place for drama. Getting over everything in few lines didn't work, though I understand the constraints of the comics all too well even to get Wanda over for an issue.
    Last edited by jmc247; 02-29-2020 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    I think it’s been apparent for a while that while they’ll always be siblings and have each other’s backs when the chips are down; the twins don’t like each other much at all. Most of its Pietro’s fault for trying to control Wanda at times, but it’s also a familiarity breeds contempt thing.

It’s not unrealistic for it to happen with siblings. God knows I personally dislike my sibling and vice versa
    During a long time, Pietro and Wanda had this codependent relationship, quite unhealthy that fueled resent and jealousy, mostly from Pietro's side.

My brother and I have a complicated relationship. It doesn't mean we don't love each other, just it's complicated.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

I think Wanda and Pietro's dynamics can benefit from doing things with Lorna. When you add a new element, you need to reconsider existing dynamics in the process.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

They look kind of like modern Final Fantasy characters there.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

This panels holds so much history about Magneto´s personal relationship with the X-men but also with his family and how in his mind they are kind or
    intertwined. In this story he was thinking about meeting his grandchildren from the Young Avengers, trouble with the Avengers be dammed, Wolverine warned him about it while Scott understands why he wants to meet them but he also can see how much trouble that will bring only because Erik is Erik and while he has good intentions he goes too far with them. This shows both Magneto´s love for his family but also a maturing relationship with someone who used to be his greastest critic inside the X-men and Scott saying Magneto just needs to "take care of himself to they don´t have to worry about him(meaning have to fight him again)" is just so sweet, because he can see how alone, hurt and tired of everything Magneto really is, not even Charles, with all their years of friendship, had the simple tact of telling him just to take care of himself for once and I think that´s so sweet and a good foundation for the Scott and Magneto friendship. Sure they ended fighting each other during Children´s Crusade but after all was said and done Magneto was accepted back with the X-men and by Scott, no biggie, another day in the office XD.

RCO030_1468847006.jpg

RCO031_1468847006.jpg

RCO032_1468847006.jpg
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    This panels holds so much history about Magneto´s personal relationship with the X-men but also with his family and how in his mind they are kind or
    intertwined. In this story he was thinking about meeting his grandchildren from the Young Avengers, trouble with the Avengers be dammed, Wolverine warned him about it while Scott understands why he wants to meet them but he also can see how much trouble that will bring only because Erik is Erik and while he has good intentions he goes too far with them. This shows both Magneto´s love for his family but also a maturing relationship with someone who used to be his greastest critic inside the X-men and Scott saying Magneto just needs to "take care of himself to they don´t have to worry about him(meaning have to fight him again)" is just so sweet, because he can see how alone, hurt and tired of everything Magneto really is, not even Charles, with all their years of friendship, had the simple tact of telling him just to take care of himself for once and I think that´s so sweet and a good foundation for the Scott and Magneto friendship. Sure they ended fighting each other during Children´s Crusade but after all was said and done Magneto was accepted back with the X-men and by Scott, no biggie, another day in the office XD.
    Some of those panels are a harsh reminder of the years when a certain green haired character's parentage was ignored completely outside the title she was on.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I know but I think that was more Tom Brevroot´s doing than Heinberg but thankfully Lorna is now definitely his daughter, more than ever so imo there´s no danger in remembering those times, especially since I wanted to focus on the Scott -Magneto relationship, with so little Heinberg really did something interesting to explain how they both tick despite being former enemies.

But in more recent times it got to my attention Scott was kind of trying to adopt both Lorna and Magneto into his family like he did with Logan or at least close to it imo XD while Lorna was like no, thanks if Havok is here which is fine with me.

Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 03-11-2020 at 07:20 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022