Page 10 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

art by Magickmarker

Magneto as part of Disney+ icons.

Also, Wanda gets a Future Fight T3.

Lorna is still AWOL for video games. Based on my conversations over the years with game makers she is considered too low on the totem pole of protagonists as in lower then her ex who has gotten in two recent games. She also has no iconic antagonist run so we see a lot of antagonists getting in the door even the likes of Mojo, but not Lorna. If Marvel resurrected the Magnus family I think her odds would increase slightly. But, really Lorna needs an iconic high profile storyline over the next 5-10 years to rebuild the image of the character as not being a C list mother hen.

The second half of this year is going to be really good in terms of games for Wanda, her twins, and likely Pietro and Magneto as well. For Lorna she needs a better selling point as a character then she currently has.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-02-2020 at 09:14 AM.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

JDW said Lorna could be the new popular character along with Northstar on X-factor so between that and her appareances on the Genosha event should help her character.

The House of M got a small mention on an EMPYRE interview with writer Anthony Oliveira

"

X-Men fans can thank @Non_RoyalSucess for this next question. “With Teddy possibly willing to align with Krakoa, it got me wondering what his personal opinions of the nation are considering the grudge they hold with his fiance’s mother? A side note: Is Wiccan still a mutant or was that changed along with Wanda’s status?”
    I have a very “Billy Versus the Island of the Mutants” story I’d love to tell that would bring all these characters into each other’s orbits and finally bring a lot of this into the sunlight – I guess we’ll see if Marvel’s into it!!

Dave and Forrest take back the mic for the last two questions first asking what an Oliveira event would be like, “If you were given the full reigns of a Marvel event, which characters would you like to focus on?”

The Pretender vs Master of Magnetism, with the Demiurge hanging in the balance! I want to tell the story about the House of M – all of them – Maximoffs, Minimoffs, and those fancy pantses on Krakoa!
    At a smaller, non-event level, I’d love to do a Billy/Teddy book that was just about, like, them. I think gay lives don’t get depicted in as full a way as they should – largely because straight writers don’t really know what they’re like lol. So I’d love to just, like, show them living their lives (as superheroes, of course) in a more focalized way, like the fun old Vision & Scarlet Witch comics – two people who love each other dealing with cosmic and robotic threats and then going to the movies or having to visit their in-laws or deal with laundry day or whatever.
    Not sure if I like the mention of Lorna and Magneto as possible antagonists for the rest of the family and I am sure Hickman has some ideas behind the "pretender" moniker he gave Wanda but the fact they are being talked together again looks promising.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    JDW said Lorna could be the new popular character along with Northstar on X-factor so between that and her appareances on the Genosha event should help her character.

The House of M got a small mention on an EMPYRE interview with writer Anthony Oliveira

"

Not sure if I like the mention of Lorna and Magneto as possible antagonists for the rest of the family and I am sure Hickman has some ideas behind the "pretender" moniker he gave Wanda but the fact they are being talked together again looks promising.
    This sounds great and I also agree that Hickman isn't mentioning Wanda for nothing I hope she has a role to play.

I hope that rumor that Marvel was getting ready to do a new "House of M" type of event is true. I just would like to know more about Hickmanīs stance on the retcon.

I enjoyed the interview, indeed an event that really includes "All the family" including the grandchildren, I donīt think Luna meet the twins yet so itīs about time imo. This crossover is precisely what I have been waiting for but I would not like this only to have a part of them fighting the others that live on Krakoa.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

I was talking about video games. In terms of comics impacting video games unless a satellite series breaks out critically and in terms of sales its not going to help much there. Her being on a side mini series of an event likely won't either. The sales for both are going to take a hit because of current events as will comics in general, hopefully its not a catastrophic hit. That isn't to denigrate either. Its just a statement of the how the game makers regard who is worthy of getting in when not ordered by Marvel to include them.

A House of M crossover is likely to occur in the next two years. Even if Marvel was leery at ok'ing it for studio synergy reasons I have the suspicion comic sales are going to need a big shot in the arm and its the sort of thing that might help there as Axis was one of the most hated decisions by comic fans of the Disney vs Fox era.

Now a Magnus family crossover event that unlike Children's Crusade actually is the heart of a crossover not a self contained story now that could make a difference in a lot of areas. Hell, including the one we started by talking about, that would be a big enough thing to get Lorna in the games like the rest of her family if she has a real role.

Its really a question to which aspect of the line controls the event for how sympathetic or not each would come off as. Magneto was always much less sympathetic on Avengers controlled events (outside CC). Lorna was tended to be ignored or really get the short end of the stick on Avengers centric events, though the past doesn't have to dictate the future. If both offices could collaborate on such a thing you could have something that will be remembered for decades as HoM will be.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-02-2020 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    I was talking about video games. In terms of comics effecting video games unless a satellite series breaks out critically and in terms of sales its not going to help much there. Her being on a side mini series of an event won't either. The sales for both are going to take a hit because of current events as will comics in general, hopefully its not a catastrophic hit.
    I agree but imo this also depends on the writing and the character development being good enough to get attention, Magneto himself went from being called a "poor mans Dr Doom" to being one of the most iconic character in comics, not just from being on important stories but because Claremont took the time and effort of developing his own story way beyond his relationship with the X-men or even Xavier. Or for example Vision who yes, got a space in the movies but wasnīt that developed as a character in them, had a mini series that was a big hit because that mini developed his need to have a family of his own apart from his relationship with the Avengers, Jessica Jones already had her own series and two or three runs in comics because her character development allowed people to identify with her as a person and with her problems, Spider-Manīs origin is all about people identifying with him etc.

I think Lorna needs a story that not only makes her approchable as a person but that also give her something to fight for beyond the teams in which sheīs currently working. That way even if sheīs is part of a satelite book people Will notice and remember her for her imo not for the events or titles in which she has been.

A House of M crossover is likely to occur in the next year or two. Even if Marvel was leery at ok'ing it for studio synergy reasons I have the suspicion comic sales are going to need a big shot in the arm and its the sort of thing that might help there.

Now a Magnus family crossover event that unlike Children's Crusade actually is the heart of a crossover not a self contained story now that could make a difference in a lot of areas. Hell, including the one we started by talking about, that would be a big enough thing to get Lorna in the games like the rest of her family.
    Yes please, a family even with a story thatīs self contained and includes all of the members of the family should help to get clear a lot of things from the storytelling pov but also the commercial pov.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 04-02-2020 at 10:37 AM.

I agree but imo this also depends on the writing and the character development being good enough to get attention, Magneto himself went from being called a "poor mans Dr Doom2 to being one of the most iconic character in comics not just from being on important stories but because Claremont took the time and effort of developing his own story way beyond his relationship with the X-men or even Xavier. Or for example Vision who yes, got a space in the movies but wasnīt that developed as a character, had a mini series that was a big hit because that mini developed his need to have a family of his own apart from his relationship with the Avengers, Jessica Jones already had her own series and two or three runs in comics because her character development allowed people to identify with her as a person, Spider-Man etc.

I think Lorna needs a story that not only makes her approchable as a person but that also give her something to fight for beyond the teams in which sheīs currently working. That way even if sheīs is part of a satelite book people Will notice and remember her for her imo not for the events or titles in which she has been.
    I was talking in the short run for games as in this year and next. You are referring to things in the very long run.

I will just say I agree which I have argued vociferously that Marvel was straight up denigrating her by trying to recycle over and over again decades old nostalgia pathos for Lorna which never worked and will never work. Claremont made Magneto a great character, but in the same era Lorna in a very high profile way was pretty much destroyed Lorna as an important x-character in a way she never recovered from. She became a love interest character whose sole pathos was she gets possessed a lot. The 90s they wrote Lorna a bit better, but they by in large kept her in the 70s and 80s sand box for ideas on what drove her. The 2000s tried to start to move her out of that sand box into something new and was finding success until nostalgic fanboys regressed her and dumped her into space and she never recovered.

Magneto being the greatest badass and one of the great characters of fiction happened in a much better market for comics on the flagship title for the X-Men in an iconic run. Lorna is at a real handicap. But, resurrecting her Genosha pathos was the first step forward. How its done remains to be seen, but I think Hickman in HoX has some good ideas there.

The past decade and a half for Lorna was a near total loss. Its hard when you have iconic eras that writers want to use for source material for characters like Lorna, but there was nothing to the character at all in those eras. So, yes long term Lorna regaining her viability as an important character will take time. The first step is asking what drives the character and what does she fight for and Marvel hasn't give us that so she really is nowhere.

Wanda doesn't need that as a long time Avengers character with high profile appearances, neither do a lot of x-women. Lorna does if she wants to return to being on near equal footing with her 60s contemporary female characters or even ones made decades after that. Until one sentence captures what Lorna fights for and what defines her for fans which doesn't include girlfriend of (insert) or daughter of (insert) she isn't going anywhere and it might happen, but its a far ways away.

Yes please, a family even with a story thatīs self contained and includes all of the members of the family should help to get clear a lot of things from the storytelling pov but also the commercial pov.
    The commercial pov is the big selling point. It would certainly bring many casual fans back.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-02-2020 at 11:00 AM.

I agree imo she and Havok have both been mistreated this way because they bassically became the "Scott and Jean that were not Scott and Jean" I am just saying that this doesnīt have to stay that way, imo if Jessica Jones whoīs a relatively small but new character got a tv series because a lot of people sympathized with her pov the same can happen to Lorna if one writer gets the idea on how to use whatīs already there in her story.

I agree imo she and Havok have both been mistreated this way because they bassically became the "Scott and Jean that were not Scott and Jean" I am just saying that this doesnīt have to stay that way, imo if Jessica Jones whoīs a relatively small but new character got a tv series because a lot of people sympathized with her pov the same can happen to Lorna if one writer gets the idea on how to use whatīs already there in her story.
    I agree that its possible, but I also think Jessica Jones who you just referred to has down the investigative work, with mental health issues, bad parent issues, and mind control issues for this generation of Marvel comic fans and even casual super hero fans. Trying to set Lorna up as the mutant version of her won't work. She will just be accused not without great merit of being a knock off.

Lorna is not Jessica Jones. I am willing to accept her being a private detective for the time being, but I also don't for one minute believe its a long term answer for her. In the end for Lorna it comes down to her being understandable yes, but having narrative space for what she represents as a character that can continue in a year and ten years no matter what the title she happens to be on. What her current run can set up for her in the longer term is not the idea of Lorna Dane PI, but setting up the forces that motivate the character for titles for decades to come.

The narrative space for Lorna and what she is for and what she represents is limited at this point, though I like Hickman's direction so far.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-02-2020 at 11:24 AM.

I didnīt say she NEEDS to be the mutants version of Jessica Jones, also it would not work at all because thatīs the same problem she had with being compared to Jean during the 80īs . No, what I am talking about is to develop her story from her pov and develop her own pathos, just like Jessica Jones had. I think Peter David put a few building pieces for this with her origin, her mom and her wish to be just there to help humanity. Now it seems sheīs going to be giving priority to the mutants and Krakoa but Hickman wrote her doubting the status quo and if itīs going to be real this time, given her experiences on Genosha is totally understable she thinks itīs not going to last. Also, she Will be in charge of investigating mutant ressurrections, something a lot of readers still have doubts.

The problem with Lorna and a lot of female comic characters, is that they hardly have their pov on the events that happen around them they are passive on the story, and just get lead into new stories to serve a role but not even one that makes sense for their character story, I donīt think the new X-factor Will authomatically become a main title but if it gives her a Little of her own pathos and pov that makes her distintive from other female characters that would do wonders for Lornaīs character imo.

Realistically, Lorna already has something to fight for. Serving on Genosha, followed by surviving the genocide and experiencing and reliving all that horror firsthand, followed by being considered the Queen of Mutants and Magneto's heir (even if she didn't want to be bowed to), followed by having her powers stripped from her and having a huge identity crisis because of it SHOULD mean she wants to fight for mutants and mutant rights. She should especially want to protect mutants against genocide and unwanted power loss or avenge those who've experienced those things, given her own experiences.

Marvel just chooses to pretend she's a rando nobody who's never done anything besides date Havok.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Realistically, Lorna already has something to fight for. Serving on Genosha, followed by surviving the genocide and experiencing and reliving all that horror firsthand, followed by being considered the Queen of Mutants and Magneto's heir (even if she didn't want to be bowed to), followed by having her powers stripped from her and having a huge identity crisis because of it SHOULD mean she wants to fight for mutants and mutant rights. She should especially want to protect mutants against genocide and unwanted power loss or avenge those who've experienced those things, given her own experiences.
    Agreed

Marvel just chooses to pretend she's a rando nobody who's never done anything besides date Havok.
    Thatīs what needs to change and one way to do this is by having her discuss or think about the things and people that matter to her and why itīs important to her to be part of the new X-Factor team as well as have a talk with Magneto about Genosha, I think there are things them both need to say about that and the twins given she actually had a good relationship with Pietro but now hardly sees him.