Page 12 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

what an adorable style! I love these

What ever happened to magnetos creation alpha 11C98D85-38A3-4156-A301-5C5AA086C65A.jpg

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Alpha went on to live as a cosmic entity and leave earth after reducing Magneto and his brotherhood to babies. I don´t think he has been seen since the silver age. Alpha kind of was the first reality altering mutant but he evolved so much that he sensed earth was no longer a place for him to live.

Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 04-19-2020 at 11:20 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Extraordinary Member

Speaking of Alpha, why did Magneto evolve a bunch of Savage Land tribesmen into mutates? Does he consider them children?

I know it's part of his history, but I kinda hated it that he (along with most of Marvel's top villains) were masters of so many fields of science. I mean, some of the things Mags built could give Doom a run for his money, yet he's never considered one of Marvel's super-geniuses. Did Doom have an asteroid base, or one under an active volcano? Has one of his Doom-bots (outside of pretending to be him) shown the kind of personality Nanny had? Back in the 60s and 70s, he was Mr. Sinister before Mr. Sinister, with all of his genetic experiments her was conducting. I was glad CC stopped all that mess when he fleshed out his character in the 80's.

You answered your own question. Before there was a Mr. Sinister or Apocalypse you had a situation where Magneto was stuck being both along with the mutant nationalist. Claremont revolutionized the X-Men though was not without flaws, he had no idea what to do with Lorna and unmade the character and she never recovered from that era though she did gain her powers back. For Magneto Claremont did make modern Magneto and developed him a one of fictions best internationally recognized characters by old and young throughout the world.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_Nbk9YFVmN/
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-21-2020 at 11:30 AM.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Speaking of Alpha, why did Magneto evolve a bunch of Savage Land tribesmen into mutates? Does he consider them children?
    He thought he could help to make more mutants by turning them into mutates, Lolerei was one of them and she became part of his brotherhood for a while but after Alpha turned magneto his team into babies most of those mutates went back to live on the Savage Land.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman
    I know it's part of his history, but I kinda hated it that he (along with most of Marvel's top villains) were masters of so many fields of science. I mean, some of the things Mags built could give Doom a run for his money, yet he's never considered one of Marvel's super-geniuses. Did Doom have an asteroid base, or one under an active volcano? Has one of his Doom-bots (outside of pretending to be him) shown the kind of personality Nanny had? Back in the 60s and 70s, he was Mr. Sinister before Mr. Sinister, with all of his genetic experiments her was conducting. I was glad CC stopped all that mess when he fleshed out his character in the 80's.
    Claremont kept most of his scientific skills he just made him use them more on developing his powers than on genetics, I think he also thought Magneto was already too powerful to also be a genius on different scientific fields and later other writers focused on him as a political leader not a scientist still it´s nice when modern writers remember this fact, like Matt Fraction when he had Magneto work with High Evolutionary to stop the decimation. Also yes, by all rights Magneto should be considered one of the most suscceful scientific minds on the MU, Alpha alone should be probe of this given he made him using a mix of eternal and inhuman technology and he evolved on his own so much he had to leave earth.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    You answered your own question. Before there was a Mr. Sinister or Apocalypse you had a situation where Magneto was stuck being both along with the mutant nationalist. Claremont revolutionized the X-Men though was not without flaws, he had no idea what to do with Lorna and unmade the character and she never recovered from that era though she did gain her powers back. For Magneto Claremont did make modern Magneto and developed him a one of fictions best internationally recognized characters by old and young throughout the world.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_Nbk9YFVmN/
    I know Claremont has mentioned a lot of what he would do if he stayed on the books back in the early ‘90s, but has he ever mentioned what he would do with Lorna, if he stayed?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I know Claremont has mentioned a lot of what he would do if he stayed on the books back in the early ‘90s, but has he ever mentioned what he would do with Lorna, if he stayed?
    Not really. At the time back in the early internet in ‘91 below the fans who communicated with Marvel did talk about the game plan with massive super strong life force and sanity leaching Lorna.

Kevin M. Moore

original plans for a re-vamped Lorna Dane were to have her
    gain the powers of enhanced strength, invunerability, and size, at the
    cost of "leeching" the life-force and sanity of those around her.
    A similar concept was used in the original version of Longshot. In his
    case, his luck power was a focus of ALL the luck of all the people in a
    surrounding area. This resulted in his being a 'luck sponge' and his
    comrades became proportionately UN-lucky.

Lorna's new superhero name was supposed to have been "Synergy." In the
    marvel bullpen, synergy is a combination of energy and sin. Lorna's
    leeching is a "sin," and her energy manifests as three of the MOST
    boring, overused powers in the Marvel Universe.

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!...cs/UQ_-zZhXIr8

Claremont never really knew what to do with Lorna. Cant hold it against him, he obviously did his fair share of fantastic character work and then some with others lol. Suffice to say though I'm glad Lorna kept the Polaris mantle and powerset

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Claremont kept most of his scientific skills he just made him use them more on developing his powers than on genetics, I think he also thought Magneto was already too powerful to also be a genius on different scientific fields and later other writers focused on him as a political leader not a scientist still it´s nice when modern writers remember this fact, like Matt Fraction when he had Magneto work with High Evolutionary to stop the decimation. Also yes, by all rights Magneto should be considered one of the most suscceful scientific minds on the MU, Alpha alone should be probe of this given he made him using a mix of eternal and inhuman technology and he evolved on his own so much he had to leave earth.
    All of this is rather unrealistic considering Magneto's background…
    When did he study genetics, engineering, exactly? It's not exactly things you pick up as a hobby and he had a lot to catch up. And yet these knowledges seem to appear out of thin air.
    Yes, I know… comics.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

In Lorna's case, she's actually lucky that Claremont didn't stay any longer. If he had his way, I'm sure we never would've seen Lorna go through Genosha, and she never would've returned to her status as a daughter of Magneto. Pretty good odds that her only presence would be as a Z-lister who gets beaten up every so often when other characters get stale.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

I will say I felt Lorna's character had many years of development (more good then bad) in the mid 90s to mid 00s, but I felt in part due to the space arc you had a break in that development though I would argue her story was already losing its cohesion before that.

PAD in '91 was all ready to write the O5 and had things planned out and then editorial dropped a new cast on him. Lorna fit pretty well into his planned role for Jean. Though his run wasn't that long, by the time he was looking at a new direction for her his conflict with editorial pushed him to leave the titles. Then JM came on and out of her 90s writers he probably did the best as he actually read her original story and took some cues from it in making her a stronger character who cared about the plight of mutants.

Mackie's Lorna post JM was a pretty one note generic female heroine without a real motivation. But, he did have an impact in writing Lorna as part of the Magnus family in the Mutant X universe in 1998-2001. Writers in the comics were out of ideas on what to do with Lorna so they did go back to the beginning with her Genosha arc and that was for the most part a modernized retelling of her original story with a few tweaks. When Morrison destroyed the island and then had the X-Men find Lorna that was perhaps her single most important issue since her founding. Austen was already planning on writing Lorna in his words like she was in X-Factor and having a love triangle with Annie and then marrying her off and dropping her in limbo.

He decided to re-write his scripts and go in a whole new direction. His early post Genosha scripts with her were wobbly, but got progressively better once he figured out where he was going. Milligan I felt had a some good ideas, but overdid the instability card and under did her competence and got off track in terms having a core motivation. Then she was booted into space and went through a number of different historical depictions, but the character really lost focus. While last decade with her had its moments and was a stronger depiction overall then the 90s she by in large didn't have an agenda or core motivation.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-21-2020 at 04:03 PM.

huh I had no idea PAD was supposed to work with the 05, that's a super interesting tidbit. Probably worked out for the best for Lorna even if she was ushered into filling the Jean hole tbh, better than limbo . I wonder how much of his original plans he actually kept, considering how much the first arc centred around Jamie and his powers

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    huh I had no idea PAD was supposed to work with the 05, that's a super interesting tidbit. Probably worked out for the best for Lorna even if she was ushered into filling the Jean hole tbh, better than limbo . I wonder how much of his original plans he actually kept, considering how much the first arc centred around Jamie and his powers
    I never noticed it either until now, but I can see how it fits:

Personality-wise you’ve got a correlation of:

Cyclops -> Havok
    Jean - > Polaris
    Beast -> Guido
    Iceman -> Madrox
    Archangel -> Wolfsbane (both stuck in their current forms)