Page 13 of 57 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I never noticed it either until now, but I can see how it fits:

Personality-wise you’ve got a correlation of:

Cyclops -> Havok
    Jean - > Polaris
    Beast -> Guido
    Iceman -> Madrox
    Archangel -> Wolfsbane (both stuck in their current forms)
    So did PAD get to pick the characters in the team at least?
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

I'd like to think he did. He came back to all of them years later, after all, so there must be some kind of endearment there even if it grew from having them thrust on him. They were kind of the post-Muir Island "rejects", its kinda nice to think there was someone rooting for them behind the scenes lol

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    All of this is rather unrealistic considering Magneto's background…
    When did he study genetics, engineering, exactly? It's not exactly things you pick up as a hobby and he had a lot to catch up. And yet these knowledges seem to appear out of thin air.
    Yes, I know… comics.
    Agreed itīs a little unrealistic but not impossible after all Dr Doom himself was mostly self thaught as well after he got expelled from university. It seems Magneto keep his studies at a distance after the war when he married Magda, in one of the X-men comics he says Magda often found him reading books and would be worried because he didnīt ate enought, they moved to Vinitsya because he wanted to study at a university and after Anyaīs death and Magda abandoned him he went to live on Israeal as a volunteer.

I think that thereīs a big space of time between him losing Anya and Magda, and later going to Israel to justify him doing more learning on his own specialy now that thereīs a bigger space of time because of marvelīs moving time scale. I have a theory of where precisely he could have studied more and why.

When he was looking for Magda he also went to Wundagore mountain so thereīs a possibility he also got in contact, like Magda, with the High Evolutionary, given he had strange powers he didnīt quite have control of and that heīs always been curious about science I can see him staying longer there after learning of Magdaīs death, enough time to get a better control over his powers, which include having to study them, I donīt think he liked the idea of destroying more cities just because he didnīt have enough control over them, but also getting curious about HE own work. Given how they seem to have a close relationship on Fractionīs run this makes me believe they meet before Erik became Magneto. Itīs also canon he had more control over his powers when he lived in Israel.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 04-21-2020 at 08:22 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    So did PAD get to pick the characters in the team at least?
    Editorial told him the characters he would be writing, but he said he came to like writing them.

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    huh I had no idea PAD was supposed to work with the 05, that's a super interesting tidbit. Probably worked out for the best for Lorna even if she was ushered into filling the Jean hole tbh, better than limbo
    She was starting from nothing in 1991 as in Tabula Rasa after being torn down so one had to start somewhere. I bought some of those late 05 X-Factor and early PAD era X-Factor at the time and still have them. My personal thought was PAD's scripts were highly witty and on the mark and he had some quite interesting characters, but his first run Polaris was not really interesting to me. There was some forward movement with her character in 1993 at the end of his run and under JM, but her story kind of stalled out into love triangle nonsense and repetitive generic super hero antics. PAD's second and third run with her that lasted three years last decade had an overall more interesting depiction, but was missing a kind of driving force outside of her interpersonal relationships.

I think last run X-Factor tried to fuse some of what worked in the 00s with some of what worked in the 90s. It worked in some areas and not others. Restoring her Genosha pathos could be very helpful in giving the character a guiding trajectory and helping fans understand what motivates her and guides her thinking.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-21-2020 at 08:46 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Agreed itīs a little unrealistic but not impossible after all Dr Doom himself was mostly self thaught as well after he got expelled from university. It seems Magneto keep his studies at a distance after the war when he married Magda, in one of the X-men comics he says Magda often found him reading books and would be worried because he didnīt ate enought, they moved to Vinitsya because he wanted to study at a university and after Anyaīs death and Magda abandoned him he went to live on Israeal as a volunteer.

I think that thereīs a big space of time between him losing Anya and Magda, and later going to Israel to justify him doing more learning on his own specialy now that thereīs a bigger space of time because of marvelīs moving time scale. I have a theory of where precisely he could have studied more and why.

When he was looking for Magda he also went to Wundagore mountain so thereīs a possibility he also got in contact, like Magda, with the High Evolutionary, given he had strange powers he didnīt quite have control of and that heīs always been curious about science I can see him staying longer there after learning of Magdaīs death, enough time to get a better control over his powers, which include having to study them, I donīt think he liked the idea of destroying more cities just because he didnīt have enough control over them, but also getting curious about HE own work. Given how they seem to have a close relationship on Fractionīs run this makes me believe they meet before Erik became Magneto. Itīs also canon he had more control over his powers when he lived in Israel.
    There’s also the retcon of Astra.

So Magneto, early on, had access to literal out of this world Technology and information.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Didn't Claremont get Lorna unpossessed by Malice in the first place though? And then she went to Muir Island, got involved with some Legion stuff I think...? And was going to become an all-new, all-different sort of character with a new codename and powerset

I'm honestly not sure that would've been the worst idea for her.... I do find it interesting, along with the concepts for Longshot, how their mutations are good for them but not for others around them. That's an overt way to make clear the metaphor about how awesome powers are often thrown around without sufficient care or responsibility

As to whether or not a "Synergy" Lorna would be used more than the current one hmm it is hard to say. We just don't know. It depends on if Claremont was able to develop her, but if he still was essentially forced off the books then it's probably unlikely she would've gotten grown much. Who knows what XFactor would've done with that type of Lorna. I still think her ties to Magneto might have resurfaced eventually, it's too intriguing a prospect for no author to really consider that, even if she had a different mutation than he does. (A different mutation might have helped her gain more prominence and be less considered identical to him)

Regarding Magneto and the mutate and comic being and super tech stuff yeah I definitely chalk all that up to Silver Age excess and just ignore it pretty much
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 04-21-2020 at 08:52 PM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    All of this is rather unrealistic considering Magneto's background…
    When did he study genetics, engineering, exactly? It's not exactly things you pick up as a hobby and he had a lot to catch up. And yet these knowledges seem to appear out of thin air.
    Yes, I know… comics.
    He is in his 90s... he has had three life times to study.

Though re-reading the 1990s Magneto issues to Eve of Destruction they steadily toned down his intelligence over time as they increased his militancy. By the time Eve of Destruction came around it seemed as if his IQ had dropped 50 points.

Anyway Sisters of M T-shirts by Red Bubble.

https://www.redbubble.com/i/t-shirt/...43247330.1YYVU
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-21-2020 at 10:41 PM.

There’s also the retcon of Astra.

So Magneto, early on, had access to literal out of this world Technology and information.
    Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247

Though re-reading the 1990s Magneto issues to Eve of Destruction they steadily toned down his intelligence over time as they increased his militancy. By the time Eve of Destruction came around it seemed as if his IQ had dropped 50 points.
    lol agreed, I can see why marvel editorial wanted to make him evil but they didnīt have to dumb him down too, thatīs just overkill imo
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post

Anyway Sisters of M T-shirts by Red Bubble.

https://www.redbubble.com/i/t-shirt/...43247330.1YYVU
    That's a really cool image

And I'm happy the lineage is being kept alive by fans in all sorts of ways

OBEY

new Sketch Magneto and Scarlet Witch Peter Nguyen

https://twitter.com/petervnguyen/sta...70911331459073

Given there is a lot of talk about the possible X-Men TAS continuation I thought I would share here what I think it could mean for the Magnus family.

The winners.
    1. A morally complex Claremontian Magneto who has accepted Xavier's mantle. After an antagonist early TAS Magneto quickly over time became good friends with the X-Men and then took up the mantle Claremont wanted for him in the 80s.
    2. Wanda and Pietro as Magneto's children and pure heroes- Its canon in X-Men TAS they are his kids and I doubt they will tinker with that. The fact Marvel put out a Magneto family matters set last year which includes Magneto and the twins and not Lorna is strong evidence in that direction.

Losers:

Lorna- TAS Lorna was Havok's love muffin and Bobby's ex with nothing more to the character. If she was related to Magneto neither of them have any clue of it based on their non-response to each other in the Phalanx episode which would require a wholly different backstory for them then the comics. WATXM Lorna had a solid place on a counterpoint team which allowed her significantly more development in one season of that show then seven of TAS.

Wanda and Pietro's position on X-Men adjacent protagonist teams also hurts the amount of screen time they will end up with vs what they got in WATXM, but they will still have much more of an in with the core story then TAS Lorna who really isn't needed thematically with Wanda in the role of Magneto's pure hero daughter who had mixed feelings on him.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-22-2020 at 10:36 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Given there is a lot of talk about the possible X-Men TAS continuation I thought I would share here what I think it could mean for the Magnus family.

The winners.
    1. A morally complex Claremontian Magneto who has accepted Xavier's mantle. After an antagonist early TAS Magneto quickly over time became good friends with the X-Men and then took up the mantle Claremont wanted for him in the 80s.
    2. Wanda and Pietro as Magneto's children and pure heroes- Its canon in X-Men TAS they are his kids and I doubt they will tinker with that. The fact Marvel put out a Magneto family matters set last year which includes Magneto and the twins and not Lorna is strong evidence in that direction.

Losers:

Lorna- TAS Lorna was Havok's love muffin and Bobby's ex with nothing more to the character. If she was related to Magneto neither of them have any clue of it based on their non-response to each other in the Phalanx episode which would require a wholly different backstory for them then the comics. WATXM Lorna had a solid place on a counterpoint team which allowed her significantly more development in one season of that show then seven of TAS.

Wanda and Pietro's position on X-Men adjacent protagonist teams also hurts the amount of screen time they will end up with vs what they got in WATXM, but they will still have much more of an in with the core story then TAS Lorna.
    In the very odd chance that they will continue the TAS, rather than likely reboot, Lorna’s story could be discovering she’s Magneto’s daughter and the twins are her siblings (They won’t retcon the twins parentage in the cartoon post-Fox buyout).

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    new Sketch Magneto and Scarlet Witch Peter Nguyen

https://twitter.com/petervnguyen/sta...70911331459073
    Awesome art in the comments they asked for Pietro and Lorna too so it seems the family is once again being solicited

I think TAS Will get a reboot, hope we see an actualization on the characters but keeping the spirit of the first series by keeping the characterization strong and a depth of thought
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 04-22-2020 at 10:54 AM.

In the very odd chance that they will continue the TAS, rather than likely reboot, Lorna’s story could be discovering she’s Magneto’s daughter and the twins are her siblings (They won’t retcon the twins parentage in the cartoon post-Fox buyout).
    The first discussions and news articles was the TAS creators wanted a direct continuation of TAS as in they wanted a season eight. I think Marvel wanted a reboot though.

If they go for a soft reboot instead which is certainly quite possible the options for Lorna are certainly better though with her not having a place on the X-Men I would say Lorna's best hope is there is on a counterpoint team that gets some serious play as we saw with WATXM. X-Men adjacent protagonist teams like X-Factor/X-Force never do well on animated series as in any of them because there simply isn't the space or time for them and they turn into weak once every other season cameo material.

WATXM had a great set up with the family that I felt they undermined by pushing the evil rat bastard Magneto button too hard at the end of season one, but still the thread couldn't ask for anything better then the family being at the core of a counterpoint faction. Magneto as a member of the X-Men or close ally is good for Magneto, but leaves his kids in a lurch of being relatively unimportant cameo material unless they are really willing to take a risk with them forming their own counterpoint faction without Mags.

The more Magneto is a leader of his own faction outside the X-Men the better for the Magnus family as a whole in the next animated series. I fully trust the creators of TAS not to rat bastard Magneto as they were champions of a Claremontian Magneto, but I don't trust them not to middle ground Magneto so far it leaves his kids without anything real to do unless they are willing to take the risk of having them create a counterpoint team without him and creators are loathed to do that for some reason.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-22-2020 at 11:45 AM.

There's just too many characters, plots, teams to fit them all into a single animated series

need more than one, need original live action TV as well

The movies I really have little hope or expectation will be mature or sophisticated but ya never know we may get surprised

OBEY