Page 15 of 57 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    They didnīt reveal who their father was same with Uncanny Avengers with Vision choosing to hide this fact from Wanda, given this they thereīs no need for another retcon, just say that Natalya and Magneto were the twins parents. Thatīs if marvel wants to keep it simple but I get the feeling they will make it more complicated that it needs to be, of course if they really want to undo the retcon at all.

Thereīs also this unused art from The Vision series that has Natalya and Magneto as the twins parents.

Where is Lorna? It must have been an Avengers titles book.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Yes it's from the vision series but it wasnt
    published
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Yes it's from the vision series but it wasnt
    published
    Good to know though not a surprise. You won’t find one comic to date only controlled by the Heroes/Avengers side of the line that has accepted Lorna’s parentage. Any future crossover or Magnus family ongoing that happens sometimes down the road really should be a joint affair between both sides of the line. That is easier said then done.

Agreed, if they are going to make a story of the family, they better do it together
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    I never bought the concept that one relationship takes away from the other, but a lot of people in high places certainly have bought the idea over time and by interjecting it into their stories they set fans against each other by promoting the there can be only one message. As far as we know Lorna doesn’t even know about the Axis retcon.
    Quote Originally Posted by teapartyofthedead View Post
    As part of their ongoing policy that fan anger means sales. Does the concept of channeling the power of collective rage for their own profit sound disturbingly like dark magic? BFR, the powers that be need to take a look at the majority of fan wish lists and fan produced media like art and fic. There’s conflict, but it’s a united House of M that captured the fan’s imagination, not just one part or another.
    Unfortunately, several people at Marvel mistakenly think the "my fave can beat your fave" and "only one person can hold a coveted role or title" thinking from the 90s and earlier is somehow still appropriate and what people want to see today. It's outdated. It's backwards. And it's what those people want to see persist in comics instead of developing toward anything people actually want.

I see way more of people excited to see characters interact and collaborate. I also quite frankly think the idea of "there can be only one daughter of Magneto" is rooted partly in sexism. Marvel didn't knock Vulcan off the Summers family due to Cyclops already having Havok for a brother. Yet for "some reason," there's an attitude that Lorna and Wanda can't both be daughters with their own distinct thoughts and feelings and actions. The other part of this attitude, of course, being that certain people at Marvel think Lorna "doesn't deserve" to be Magneto's daughter.

Hickman and JDW had been talking about Lorna being the character they expect to get the most attention from X-factor along with Northstar, I think this looks like they want to build up a narrative for her apart from Magneto or Havok and thatīs a good thing.
    I think they're just saying that. It's easier to say things that sound nice and get credit for words than to actively do things that warrant praise. It's a pattern that holds true for plenty of industries besides comics, but it's in comics too.

That said, I'm keeping an eye on Empyre. It's the first of anything Lorna's been in comics-wise for years that actually looks promising for her IMO on account of Genosha and her placement on the cover. But it's a cautious eye.

Thereīs also this unused art from The Vision series that has Natalya and Magneto as the twins parents.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Where is Lorna? It must have been an Avengers titles book.
    I remember when the artist posted this picture. I complained about Lorna's exclusion. The artist saw my tweet and said that aside from a few specific characters, the rest of the tree was filled out by what he knew or could find online.

But I think it's pretty obvious that Lorna's exclusion wasn't a result of what the artist did or didn't know. I'm sure the orders from above on this tree included "Yeah, Wanda and Pietro are technically not Magneto's kids after Axis, but we're gonna ignore that and include them anyway." That same person would've looked it over and could have very easily told the artist to keep Lorna on there.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I also quite frankly think the idea of "there can be only one daughter of Magneto" is rooted partly in sexism. Marvel didn't knock Vulcan off the Summers family due to Cyclops already having Havok for a brother. Yet for "some reason," there's an attitude that Lorna and Wanda can't both be daughters with their own distinct thoughts and feelings and actions. The other part of this attitude, of course, being that certain people at Marvel think Lorna "doesn't deserve" to be Magneto's daughter.
    Interesting.

There ARE some people who do feel Vulcan is an unnecessary or gratuitous extra to the Summers clan. Not to even mention the whole Adam X / Gambit situations.

Also I think it's a bit different when it comes to the Summers. They are basically three brothers and two of their brothers but primarily one, is the extremely prominent and famous character. Their dad is actually the much later added in character to help boost and flesh out the two brothers. VERY unlike the Maximoff situation. I get your point though for sure. I do think in some ways what you're saying is part of why some folks like Lorna x Havok because it gets to mirror or half-echo these dynastic patterns.

We can clearly view Wanda as the "moody eccentric but mostly heroic daughter who chafes at her parentage and wants nothing to do with it" with Lorna as "the more open-minded daughter who accepts her lineage and wishes to learn from and expand upon her father's efforts"... well some of that depends on writer and time period but i think we can use those summaries. And Pietro is more inbetween these like he's kinda neutral, has some objections to Magneto but not to the degree Wanda does.

As for that weird video about Elizabeth Olsen's garden talk I honestly don't have any idea what to make about all that; I mean... we'll find out, Wandavision does look like an intriguing semi-ironic series to me but whether it's meant to actually somehow set up a House of M I am super doubtful on
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

They didnīt reveal who their father was same with Uncanny Avengers with Vision choosing to hide this fact from Wanda, given this they thereīs no need for another retcon, just say that Natalya and Magneto were the twins parents. Thatīs if marvel wants to keep it simple but I get the feeling they will make it more complicated that it needs to be, of course if they really want to undo the retcon at all.

Am I crazy or aren’t family trees supposed to have the youngest at the bottom and all the ancestors at the top?
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Am I crazy or aren’t family trees supposed to have the youngest at the bottom and all the ancestors at the top?
    They are but I guess Viv took some artistic license also sheīs sad since this was supposed to happen after he mom and brother died.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    We can clearly view Wanda as the "moody eccentric but mostly heroic daughter who chafes at her parentage and wants nothing to do with it" with Lorna as "the more open-minded daughter who accepts her lineage and wishes to learn from and expand upon her father's efforts"... well some of that depends on writer and time period but i think we can use those summaries. And Pietro is more inbetween these like he's kinda neutral, has some objections to Magneto but not to the degree Wanda does.
    Wanda's not defined by being moody or eccentric, she's a rational Avenger whenever she's on the team. It's only when she cracks under pressure from things outside her control and the after effects of it harming her mental health - which is fairly normal for being a super-hero. Part of why she loathes Magneto is how he abused her and Pietro in the Brotherhood, they were expendable minions to him not family. It would take years before that would change and that left a mark on both the twins which they haven't fully recovered from. Aside from Magneto being a mass murdering super-villain. Lorna's gone back and forth on that, originally she accepted being magneto's heir, Magneto did something villainous which made her run away and join the X-men and it would be years before they'd acknowledge the two as father and daughter again. The Magnus family are a dysfunctional one to the core.

Without knowing all of how these characters connect and not looking it up, it looks to me like the artist took a closer to literal approach to the word tree. Start at the bottom for the roots (the older closer to start growth), branch out more as you go further up the tree (the younger, newer growth).
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Without knowing all of how these characters connect and not looking it up, it looks to me like the artist took a closer to literal approach to the word tree. Start at the bottom for the roots (the older closer to start growth), branch out more as you go further up the tree (the younger, newer growth).
    Agreed it makes sense Viv, her brother, Luna, Billy and Tommy are at the top of the tree seeing it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I remember when the artist posted this picture. I complained about Lorna's exclusion. The artist saw my tweet and said that aside from a few specific characters, the rest of the tree was filled out by what he knew or could find online.

But I think it's pretty obvious that Lorna's exclusion wasn't a result of what the artist did or didn't know. I'm sure the orders from above on this tree included "Yeah, Wanda and Pietro are technically not Magneto's kids after Axis, but we're gonna ignore that and include them anyway." That same person would've looked it over and could have very easily told the artist to keep Lorna on there.
    Now that you mention it I remember the artist saying they looked it up online as to their relations which is kind of hard for me to believe because some sources respect the Axis retcon and some ignore the Axis retcon including Marvel's write up on Wanda and Pietro, but none of them don't respect Lorna's current parentage.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Aside from Magneto being a mass murdering super-villain. Lorna's gone back and forth on that, originally she accepted being magneto's heir, Magneto did something villainous which made her run away and join the X-men and it would be years before they'd acknowledge the two as father and daughter again. The Magnus family are a dysfunctional one to the core.
    She left him because editorial decided to retcon their parentage... they even retconned the Magneto in the storyline into being a robot months after the storyline. Its no wonder Jim Steranko said he left writing the title over quality issues. They had a good outline of a story of Lorna a bit less murderous then Silver Age Magneto and I say a bit because Silver Age Lorna would kill you if you crossed her getting fed up with his implied excessive brutality, but they bypassed the youth rebellion aspect by retconning their story to give her a full out from making a choice.
    Last edited by jmc247; 04-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_XY3dsKzL7/?hl=en

Magneto has been getting a ton of merchandise of late Juan. Wanda would be probably getting the next most followed by Pietro. I am highly disappointed in the Lorna merch situation of course with them catering hard to shippers and keeping her out of the Magnus family set.

Anyway Sentinels vs X-Men diorama.

Last edited by jmc247; 04-24-2020 at 06:59 AM.