Page 2 of 57 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Feige said that mutants are five years off. So by then it's likely that Olsen's contract will be up. They'll usher in a new era of Avengers with the younger heroes. And she'll retire like the others have.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I wouldn't be too sure about that. Feige said that mutants are five years off. So by then it's likely that Olsen's contract will be up. They'll usher in a new era of Avengers with the younger heroes. And she'll retire like the others have.
    All they need to do is MENTION "Erik" as her dad or something along those lines. That's good enough.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    All they need to do is MENTION "Erik" as her dad or something along those lines. That's good enough.
    I wouldnt make sense, Wanda isnt a lost teenager here is a strong woman who will be thinking more in her husband and children than a mysterious sperm donnor.
    Olsen has 30, either they cast a 50 or 60 actor to be Magneto or they are at the same age gap. they could say that Magneto has a longer lifespan for some reason but hostly I dont see them developing a familiar relationship in that case, it would be gross

Yeah, I really don't want them playing wheel of father in this universe. They already established her parents died in the bombing of Sokovia. And Marvel stated that one of the reasons they separated out Mags is because they need him anchored in WWII but want Wanda and Pietro to stay younger. I just think the fan wish is strong, especially on the x-side of things. But prepare for disappointment. Because it's been nearly a year for the deal between Fox and Disney. The retcon still hasn't been undone. And at the time, both Wanda and Pietro were in books.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I don`t think we will see Magneto in the series but I can see the MCU teasing his presence in future projets with some scenes or mentions by name from the Shield characters. If this was a movie I would expect a scene after credits showing or teasing his presence but given this is a series it probably will be like the Gifted in which he`s teased but not shown on screen.

What I am interested is how his possible presence and connection to MCU wanda will affect the comics, my guess is that marvel already plans to undo the retcon and they probably will try to do it before WandaVision teases Magneto as her father.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

I think that the WandaVision will cement the fact that Wanda and Pietro aren't mutants and solidify the Axis retcon. Magneto will not factor in at all. The comics version of Wanda will be retconned again to be whatever they make of the MCU version of the character.

Hmm. I increasingly feel like I should post on here more. So I'm going to flow with that.

Lots of explanations are available for a scenario where current Wanda has Magneto for a father. All that matters is execution.

I see it more likely that MCU or show will confirm Magneto is Wanda and Pietro's father before it's fixed in the comics. It's fair to expect the comics to fix it first with the idea that it preps the comics for live action announcing it, but I believe that Marvel would want it to be a surprise reveal, and either simultaneously reveal it in an event comic at the very same time, or (more likely) shortly after announce a major event/storyline in the comics that will fix the matter and bring them back as Magneto's kids. They've seen backlash at the Axis retcon, and likely would want to make a big production of putting them back together as a means of boosting sales.

I suppose a final option is to maintain Wanda as she is now, and at some point "reset" the character with a new actress, at which point the twins will be back as Magneto's kids.

In either case, you will have to watch out for what they do to Polaris. X-office of late has been focused if not obsessive on framing Lorna as nothing but Magneto's daughter and Havok's ex. We've seen Lorna excluded from games with the family, kept out of the "Magnus family pack" of Legends figures. Not to mention this page from a canceled Vision series, which includes Magneto but conveniently leaves out Lorna.

The editor who was so anti-Lorna that he was having a House of M portrait redrawn to remove her, kept her out of family moments pre-Axis, etc still works at Marvel. Meanwhile, Marvel's bent over backwards to emphasize Havok around Lorna.

My suspicion at this juncture is that aside from lack of respect for Lorna, all of this is an omen. Either there'll be a fight on maintaining Lorna as Magneto's daughter, or the fight's already over internally and they're overemphasizing Lorna as Magneto's daughter now for when they cut her off. Repeat of how they gave her a lot of appearances in Secret Wars in advance of throwing her into limbo for all of 2016 (and for 616 Lorna, nearly all of 2017 too). Also have a fair idea of what excuses they'll trot out if they do go for a retcon.
    Last edited by salarta; 01-06-2020 at 12:03 PM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hulkling View Post
    I wouldnt make sense, Wanda isnt a lost teenager here is a strong woman who will be thinking more in her husband and children than a mysterious sperm donnor.
    Olsen has 30, either they cast a 50 or 60 actor to be Magneto or they are at the same age gap. they could say that Magneto has a longer lifespan for some reason but hostly I dont see them developing a familiar relationship in that case, it would be gross
    ???? What... the idea she wouldn't care who her dad might be is ridiculous just because she's a "strong woman". Nonsensical really.

Of course they'd cast a 50-60 actor to be Magneto why on earth wouldn't they do that? Same with Xavier.

Are you assuming Mags and Xav are gonna be the same ages as the XMen in the MCU for some reason...? And if so why did you assume that?

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Yeah, I really don't want them playing wheel of father in this universe. They already established her parents died in the bombing of Sokovia. And Marvel stated that one of the reasons they separated out Mags is because they need him anchored in WWII but want Wanda and Pietro to stay younger. I just think the fan wish is strong, especially on the x-side of things. But prepare for disappointment. Because it's been nearly a year for the deal between Fox and Disney. The retcon still hasn't been undone. And at the time, both Wanda and Pietro were in books.
    They can easily get around the whole parents supposedly dying from some bombing. That isn't hard in any way. This is comics we're talking about come on you can't seriously think that's a real restriction here?

Nearly a year and not undone doesn't prove anything, nearly a year isn't that long, and if it starts to get undone in this upcoming TV series then there you go. Plus Wanda and Pietro are hardly being used in the comics perhaps there is a connection here?

As for Magneto backstory needing to be WWII yep that is definitely problematic in terms of sliding timescale and all of that but then again Steve Rogers' backstory involves being around during the Depression/New Deal. I don't think it's at all going to prohibit the family.

Wanda and Pietro I would bet huge money are going to both be mutants within 5 years OFFICIALLY on and off screen.
    Last edited by AbnormallyNormal; 01-06-2020 at 12:59 PM.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Extraordinary Member

The whole reason Wanda and Pietro (well, to a lesser extent) are in the MCU is because Joss Whedon and Kevin Feige decided they were worth using even if they couldn't be Magneto's children. They might have kept that element of their backstory if it had been available, but they were siding with the idea that it wasn't really essential. Remember, Joss Whedon is a '70s kid. As far as he knew when he started reading Marvel comics, the Scarlet Witch was the Whizzer's daughter.

I suppose they could find some way to make it happen anyway, but it would be so complicated and convoluted that Feige would have to consider it so important that it's worth all the convolutions, and I don't see much indication that he does. If he really thought it was important he wouldn't have used the twins at all, since as far as he knew at the time they were never going to have the rights to Magneto.

Now whether they change it back in the comics is another matter. I happen to side with those who think that the reason the twins haven't been used in the comics for so long is that they're being saved for some kind of X-Men thing. I'm not happy about that if it turns out to be true (I'd be OK with it if they were being used already, though), but until very recently there was no connection between the movie and comics divisions, so if they do have that plan it can't have much to do with Feige's plans.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Hmm. I increasingly feel like I should post on here more. So I'm going to flow with that.

Lots of explanations are available for a scenario where current Wanda has Magneto for a father. All that matters is execution.

I see it more likely that MCU or show will confirm Magneto is Wanda and Pietro's father before it's fixed in the comics. It's fair to expect the comics to fix it first with the idea that it preps the comics for live action announcing it, but I believe that Marvel would want it to be a surprise reveal, and either simultaneously reveal it in an event comic at the very same time, or (more likely) shortly after announce a major event/storyline in the comics that will fix the matter and bring them back as Magneto's kids. They've seen backlash at the Axis retcon, and likely would want to make a big production of putting them back together as a means of boosting sales.

I suppose a final option is to maintain Wanda as she is now, and at some point "reset" the character with a new actress, at which point the twins will be back as Magneto's kids.

In either case, you will have to watch out for what they do to Polaris. X-office of late has been focused if not obsessive on framing Lorna as nothing but Magneto's daughter and Havok's ex. We've seen Lorna excluded from games with the family, kept out of the "Magnus family pack" of Legends figures. Not to mention this page from a canceled Vision series, which includes Magneto but conveniently leaves out Lorna.

The editor who was so anti-Lorna that he was having a House of M portrait redrawn to remove her, kept her out of family moments pre-Axis, etc still works at Marvel. Meanwhile, Marvel's bent over backwards to emphasize Havok around Lorna.

My suspicion at this juncture is that aside from lack of respect for Lorna, all of this is an omen. Either there'll be a fight on maintaining Lorna as Magneto's daughter, or the fight's already over internally and they're overemphasizing Lorna as Magneto's daughter now for when they cut her off. Repeat of how they gave her a lot of appearances in Secret Wars in advance of throwing her into limbo for all of 2016 (and for 616 Lorna, nearly all of 2017 too). Also have a fair idea of what excuses they'll trot out if they do go for a retcon.
    That panel was left out of the book. So probably a mistake by the artist.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    The whole reason Wanda and Pietro (well, to a lesser extent) are in the MCU is because Joss Whedon and Kevin Feige decided they were worth using even if they couldn't be Magneto's children. They might have kept that element of their backstory if it had been available, but they were siding with the idea that it wasn't really essential. Remember, Joss Whedon is a '70s kid. As far as he knew when he started reading Marvel comics, the Scarlet Witch was the Whizzer's daughter.

I suppose they could find some way to make it happen anyway, but it would be so complicated and convoluted that Feige would have to consider it so important that it's worth all the convolutions, and I don't see much indication that he does. If he really thought it was important he wouldn't have used the twins at all, since as far as he knew at the time they were never going to have the rights to Magneto.

Now whether they change it back in the comics is another matter. I happen to side with those who think that the reason the twins haven't been used in the comics for so long is that they're being saved for some kind of X-Men thing. I'm not happy about that if it turns out to be true (I'd be OK with it if they were being used already, though), but until very recently there was no connection between the movie and comics divisions, so if they do have that plan it can't have much to do with Feige's plans.
    Wanda is being used in Star, so no I don't think it's that. I just think they don't have any stories for them, other than Wanda's appearances in Strange. There are lots of characters that disappear from comics for a bit. They just aren't our faves, so they aren't focused on.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    ???? What... the idea she wouldn't care who her dad might be is ridiculous just because she's a "strong woman". Nonsensical really.

Of course they'd cast a 50-60 actor to be Magneto why on earth wouldn't they do that? Same with Xavier.

Are you assuming Mags and Xav are gonna be the same ages as the XMen in the MCU for some reason...? And if so why did you assume that?

They can easily get around the whole parents supposedly dying from some bombing. That isn't hard in any way. This is comics we're talking about come on you can't seriously think that's a real restriction here?

Nearly a year and not undone doesn't prove anything, nearly a year isn't that long, and if it starts to get undone in this upcoming TV series then there you go. Plus Wanda and Pietro are hardly being used in the comics perhaps there is a connection here?

As for Magneto backstory needing to be WWII yep that is definitely problematic in terms of sliding timescale and all of that but then again Steve Rogers' backstory involves being around during the Depression/New Deal. I don't think it's at all going to prohibit the family.

Wanda and Pietro I would bet huge money are going to both be mutants within 5 years OFFICIALLY on and off screen.
    Yeah but I don't want it retconned like that, because they started doing that in comics and didn't stop. Now Wanda has been retconned almost as much as Donna Troy. They need to avoid that in the movies. Especially to not confuse people. Again, Wanda wasn't used in comics for 7 years at one point, and 6 months another while being a mutant and Mags' kid. So I'd bank on it not being about all that.

Scarlet Witch and Polaris

The Magnus family has an enduring popularity among casual fans and hard core fans. You have had an interesting situation where they have been very visibly promoting Wanda and Pietro as Magneto’s children in games played by tens of millions and even merchandise, but they can’t in the MCU until now for contract reasons and the comics because of a retcon.

Lorna has had one or two bursts of being used, but it’s felt more like treading water without a real plan until Wanda and Pietro are back as she is the only family Magneto has left without a retcon. I think it’s a 50/50 chance the Axis retcon comes down this year, but a much higher chance (almost certain) it comes down within 5 years in the comics. MCU is harder to say.

The most important point is the core family is popular. Generally a lot of the people making the decisions today in terms of the comics and games were big time fans in the 90s and see things through that lens. That is why we get a Magnus family action figure set last last year of the twins. That is how many of that generation of fans nostalgia tends to see things. Though you have a new generation represented by the fans above that sees it very differently.
    Last edited by jmc247; 01-06-2020 at 04:19 PM.

I think the reason they are portrayed like that in some of the games, is those are contracted out. Disney/Marvel don't do games themselves. They rent out their license.

Extraordinary Member

I think some of the popularity of the family goes back to that one 1996 episode of "X-Men: The Animated Series" where Magneto finds out they're his children. Even though the episode didn't make much sense, since they pulled it from the comics without really explaining who Wanda and Pietro were, that show was so popular that even one episode dwarfed all their other pop-culture representations and led to them being his children in other shows, other media, and the Ultimate X-Men comics, and eventually to it being more of a thing in the mainstream comics.

Before that, and for a few years after, you could go a long time reading comics without ever hearing that Wanda was Magneto's daughter. But that episode really made the comics retcon matter to her in a way that it hadn't before (Pietro is a different story).