Page 27 of 57 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    To differentiate her and Wanda since they were sisters.

Wanda being older and Lorna being the younger naive one.

They typically do this dynamic with sisters. Look at Medusa and Crystal when they’re adapted in media.
    Ugh yeah, you are right. But they really don't have to do that. Something outside of a neat box would be more interesting.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Ugh yeah, you are right. But they really don't have to do that. Something outside of a neat box would be more interesting.
    Just remember that kids are the target audience.

Look how they did Elsa and Anna in Frozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Just remember that kids are the target audience.

Look how they did Elsa and Anna in Frozen.
    I know, so they don't have to try so hard. But some of the best animated stuff appeals to both crowds. There'd be nothing kid unfriendly about Lorna not being naive.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

I know, so they don't have to try so hard. But some of the best animated stuff appeals to both crowds. There'd be nothing kid unfriendly about Lorna not being naive.
    I believe adults and kids actually do prefer nuance. The 90s animated series was pretty good in that area. I think all they really needed between Wanda and Lorna was a difference of opinion on some topics like some difference in their relationships toward Magneto and Pietro, perhaps some difference of opinion on mutant issues, and a few different personality quirks and it would have been fine.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-21-2020 at 06:25 PM.

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    I believe adults and kids actually do prefer nuance. The 90s animated series was pretty good in that area. I think all they really between Wanda and Lorna was a difference of opinion on some topics like some difference in their relationships toward Magneto and Pietro, perhaps some difference of opinion on mutant issues, and a few different personality quirks and it would have been fine.
    Agreed. Lorna didn’t need to be made so radically different so as to make room for Wanda. I know the show was made back in 2009. Women in cartoons are often pigeonholed in roles, in what they think an audience will tolerate from female characters. There’s been a lot of evolution in cartoons since then towards female characters. I remember a time when something like Korrasami, bubbleline, and Catradora, or HarleyIvy, would only be joked about. Then they became canon, they keep paving the way for better and better representation. Wanda and Lorna could be the mold breakers in how sisters are usually portrayed in animation, in what kind of political opinions and combat decisions women make and still be considered sympathetic to the audience. Because in the old days, a character like Lorna would be at best considered ‘misled’ and need to be saved or at worst a villain. The way Elsa was originally going to be portrayed in Frozen before they changed it because her VO just wowed them so much with Let it Go. Or Wanda would be accused of being a superhero cop making excuses, and be considered corrupt or also misled. Actual nuance the way we’re used to with things like Steven Universe, Adventure Time, and She-Ra would have been absent in those early shows like WATXM, Evolutiom, and TAS.

Empyre #1 spoilers

spoilers:
    Wanda attempts to bring back the 16 million mutants killed on Genosha and it goes wrong.
    end of spoilers

I have been excited about this mini since it was announced. I kept this one on my pull list and am still holding out hope Polaris get a role in issue #4.

Anyway Empyre X-Men 4 variant cover. No Magnus family.

An interesting factoid. Lorna and Wanda first met on Genosha 20 years ago this month.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-22-2020 at 09:28 AM.

Empyre #1 spoilers

spoilers:
    Wanda attempts to bring back the 16 million mutants killed on Genosha and it goes wrong.
    end of spoilers

I have been excited about this mini since it was announced. I kept this one on my pull list and am still holding out hope Polaris get a role in issue #4.

I just finished reading it. spoilers:
    My poor Wanda, you tried. Magneto and Polaris should run into her at some point, if they really are taking the story in the direction I hope they are: Wanda finally accepting her sin and finding redemption if not forgiveness. It honestly did my heart good, even if it all resulted in zombies.
    end of spoilers

I also finished reading the Avengers one, too. Does anyone know the timeline of the X-Men one is before or after the Avengers one?

Empyre X-Men trade date change to November 10th.
    Last edited by jmc247; 07-25-2020 at 02:50 PM.

How do I say this?

spoilers:
    The combination of Genosha and now Wanda on Empyre presents opportunities particular to Lorna's involvement.

We already know the huge impact that the Genoshan genocide had on Lorna herself, alongside the valuable role she had before its destruction, and since then being confirmed as Magneto's daughter (IMO one of, and Wanda still is too). There's a lot of heaviness and thickness to her Genosha ties that make her important for stories focused on Genosha.

Adding Wanda to the mix in turn adds two more things that could be addressed whether explicitly or subtly in their dynamics.

Firstly, how Wanda depowered Lorna during Decimation, and the impact such a move had on Lorna (Wanda's sister when/if the family connection is restored) personally. Most mutants were affected by Decimation, but Lorna has the unique honor of a very personal bent to it as they were considered sisters at the time, and it happened to Lorna after she had already suffered and lost so much to a point where being a mutant and having powers was all she had left. That the script of Empyre #1 references Wanda wanting to make up for the sin of Decimation adds a bridge between "unlike" topics, here. This impact on Lorna has never been discussed among the family.

Secondly, how Lorna and Wanda haven't talked, at all, about their family status. Last time Lorna and Wanda talked was in All-New X-Factor #14, before Axis. Lorna wasn't included in Axis when the retcon happened. Lorna hasn't talked to either of her siblings since Axis. What she knows or doesn't know of what went down has never come up. No matter where Marvel goes with the family, that is a huge lingering cloud on all the characters, for (one of) the daughter(s) of Magneto to have no demonstrated awareness of where things lie with the twins.

All of the above could easily generate a whole mini dealing just with these matters. I don't expect Empyre to be all about the Magnus family though. I realize its story has a broader scope. But, within its confines, there is surely room to at least touch on at least some of these matters.

Wanda attempting to restore Genosha's mutants, specifically, has the opportunity to build positive emotional bridges with Lorna that help resolve Decimation. Or build animosity. Depends on script and justifications. My immediate thought was a sensitive moment of bonding between sisters that Wanda cares enough about mutants (and possibly Lorna herself) to try to bring them back. Next thought down, more antagonistic, was Lorna could view Wanda's action as selfish and be mad at the outcome in spite of intent. Personally, I think the former fits Lorna better, but latter could work too. Either way, there's bound to be an emotional charge here.

I should also add that my very initial thought over Magneto not sending Lorna to Genosha was negative. I took it as Marvel trying to exclude her yet again. But then I thought from Magneto's POV. From his POV, it makes sense he wouldn't include her, out of a desire to protect her. But of course, Lorna's ties are deep enough that she should find out and get involved anyway.
    end of spoilers

I'm wrapping up by saying that if this were 2015 or earlier, I would've bought and read this first issue already. It's what I did with the Magneto solo. Now, I need to actually see pages with Lorna first. Lorna on the trade cover is good, but I can't trust it means she'll show up. We've had some cases of bait-and-switch covers these past few years.
    Last edited by salarta; 07-22-2020 at 11:41 AM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

I wanted to bring up another detail from Empyre: spoilers:
    Speed, aka Tommy Shepherd, is canon dating Prodigy! I don’t know that the word ‘bisexual’ was ever said, but this seems to have been confirmation. After being in limbo for so long, it’s good to not only see him again, but with such an important part of his identity being confirmed. Also, I really liked his easy, fun relationship with David, so I hope this sticks around for a long while.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

WOLVERINE #4 Art
    (W) Ben Percy (A) Viktor Bogdanovic (CA) Adam Kubert
    THE RED TAVERN!
    After getting dressed down by the Quiet Council for rogue activity, Wolverine escapes through his own secret gate to the Red Tavern, a snowbound, backwoods watering hole where he only wants to guzzle whiskey in peace. But Logan soon discovers that peace isn't possible as a twist-and-turn murder mystery unfolds - and at the heart of it all is an enemy from the past.
    Parental Advisory

A scolding and adventures with vampires and Omega Red, I hope Percy will do a whole issue of Magneto and Wolverine team up with their issues and personalities the snark would be great

"To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by teapartyofthedead View Post
    I just finished reading it. spoilers:
    My poor Wanda, you tried. Magneto and Polaris should run into her at some point, if they really are taking the story in the direction I hope they are: Wanda finally accepting her sin and finding redemption if not forgiveness. It honestly did my heart good, even if it all resulted in zombies.
    end of spoilers

I also finished reading the Avengers one, too. Does anyone know the timeline of the X-Men one is before or after the Avengers one?
    It seems the last scene with Wanda in X-men EMPYRE was a month ago and Magik, M and Angel mission happens at the same time Avengers Empyre issue is happening so we can safely assume Wanda is safe and hopefully this will lead to decimation and HoM getting closure at least. Itīs a nice scene but I canīt figure when Wandaīs meeting with Strange happened, it was a year ago so I guess it was pre-Krakoa and maybe during the time the X-men were trapped on X-man world or maybe before that.

Empyre #1 spoilers

spoilers:
    end of spoilers

An interesting factoid. Lorna and Wanda first met on Genosha 20 years ago this month.
    With her and Pietro on Avengers and Magneto and Lorna on X-men Empyre seems to be a good place for them to meet again

Quote Originally Posted by teapartyofthedead View Post
    Agreed. Lorna didn’t need to be made so radically different so as to make room for Wanda. I know the show was made back in 2009. Women in cartoons are often pigeonholed in roles, in what they think an audience will tolerate from female characters. There’s been a lot of evolution in cartoons since then towards female characters. I remember a time when something like Korrasami, bubbleline, and Catradora, or HarleyIvy, would only be joked about. Then they became canon, they keep paving the way for better and better representation. Wanda and Lorna could be the mold breakers in how sisters are usually portrayed in animation, in what kind of political opinions and combat decisions women make and still be considered sympathetic to the audience. Because in the old days, a character like Lorna would be at best considered ‘misled’ and need to be saved or at worst a villain. The way Elsa was originally going to be portrayed in Frozen before they changed it because her VO just wowed them so much with Let it Go. Or Wanda would be accused of being a superhero cop making excuses, and be considered corrupt or also misled. Actual nuance the way we’re used to with things like Steven Universe, Adventure Time, and She-Ra would have been absent in those early shows like WATXM, Evolutiom, and TAS.
    Agreed completely especially about X-men TAS part of the reason it was so popular was because it didnīt dumb down characters or issues, for example it wasnīt said Magnetoīs family died on WW2 by the images alone and Magnetoīs words you could get the idea. TAS didnīt made simple relationships, it explored different and deep relationships and was very respecful of the comics canon Lilandra and Xavier keep being lovers depite Lilandra giving the order of killing Jean after Dark Phonix and the catoon didnīt shy away from showing this fact while keeping both character emotionally close.

I wish Lornaīs and Wanda got a relationship similar to the one she has with Pietro in the comics and cartoons, a honest one when both know and point out their issues but thereīs sill love, care and camaraderie between them.

Agreed
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Do you think that Wanda and Magneto will have a meeting at some point in the Empyre storyline? Wanda and Pietro are both in Empyre: Avengers. Do you think the X-Men will run into the Avengers at some point?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Do you think that Wanda and Magneto will have a meeting at some point in the Empyre storyline? Wanda and Pietro are both in Empyre: Avengers. Do you think the X-Men will run into the Avengers at some point?
    They might meet in the X-Men story (unless this is a Wanda from a different timeline or whatever). Not in the main storyline, since Wanda isn't involved in that, just in the irrelevant three-part Zub miniseries that is just a containment book for the classic Avengers the current team won't use.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan
    I hope they have a meeting but this is just me, itīs not a sure thing given crossovers tie ins are usually self contained while telling their story I think we will see the Avengers dealing with the cotati in New York while the X-men, Lorna and Magneto deal with the zombies and the cotati in Genosha maybe they will cross ways on the last issue but itīs way more possible that the Avengers defeat the cotati in New York and the X-men deal with their own crisis and maybe will begin to search for the reason of the zombies being given life on Genosha, or Selene and the Zombies will explain who brought them back and they will ressurect completely that will be the end. After this they could look for Wanda to ask her why she did that, but itīs very possible this happens on another story. I wish they close up this story during EMPYRE itself but I doubt it.

If they do meet again I donīt think they will talk much, they will deal with the crisis and maybe mention Axis, Genosha and Krakoa, Magneto WILL NOT BE HAPPY but he most probably will keep that to himself and maybe he will talk on her behalf with Xavier and the QC, still seeing Wanda, Pietro, Lorna and Magneto together and fighthing united wouldbe great.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 07-25-2020 at 02:30 PM.