Page 3 of 57 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Well there was also X-Men Evolution and Wolverine and the X-Men that have them back during their Brotherhood years. Being a little liberal with how their relationship was. Capturing the basics at least. But people who only watch that are only gonna know that about the characters. I also think family dynamics are a lot more popular than Marvel thinks. But they seem to have an aversion to it. The newest Star Wars films did too. Maybe it's a company wide problem, lol.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    That panel was left out of the book. So probably a mistake by the artist.
    The artist on Twitter told me it was a mix of a few essentials he was told to include, and then whatever he found online.

That's where people typically stop thinking about it. That's a stop too early. Which characters was the artist told he had to include? If Magneto was among them, why wasn't Lorna - especially considering both Crystal and Luna ARE there?

Keep in mind the forced retcon is still intact. Wiki articles at the time did not list Magneto as Wanda's father, and they still don't. So it makes no sense for the artist to add Magneto to the picture if he was just going by what's online.

But even in the farfetched event that the artist decided on Magneto and accidentally missed Lorna, why didn't an editor say "Hey, it's missing Lorna, she needs to be added" during the initial draft stage?

People at Marvel behind these things try to be sly, and expect it's too small for anyone to notice or care. Even when it happens by a thousand cuts.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Well it's just something generally known. We mentioned the cartoons. There are a lot of people where that was their only exposure to those characters up until the movies. It's how you get people having so many different takes on characters. Some very different from the source material. There's a lot of fan fiction and fan art about the Magnus family online too. If you search you find Mags holding the kids hands. That never happened in any source material, but it's online created by someone else.

Fan work is more reason that Lorna would be there, if it was guided by fan work.

And still, regardless of what the artist used as a basis, that's one of the reasons editors exist. To catch oversights and say things need to be added, removed, changed.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

I'd like to hope so, but I'm sure there's some immediate perception there as well. I was throwing out examples of how easy it is to find stuff on the family. But Wanda and Pietro were also his kids for 30 years. It leaves an impression. Which could be why they didn't keep up with Lorna being his daughter too. The retcons in comics are a confusing mess to people that always read. If it's someone that has read and lapsed or didn't read at all, it's probably much more so.

Also adding here that Marvel editors have not caught obvious misspellings in comics, and colorists have done things like paint Cap's lower body to look like he was wearing whitey tighties. They make pretty frequent mistakes.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 01-06-2020 at 06:03 PM.

Extraordinary Member

At this point I think many more people know about Wanda and Pietro being Magneto's kids than know about the retcon. Hardly anybody read that comic compared to the number of people who have read the other comics, or seen the many other adaptations. Which is why you frequently get people saying that MCU Wanda and Pietro will be revealed as Magneto's children.

Also Marvel's editing has been very slapdash for years, particularly on minor books, so the a page drawn for a cancelled book might represent an editor's mistake or lack of guidance from an editor or many other things.

I don't even blame the editors; they just don't have enough staff, which is why I think there's something to be said for what the X-Books are doing with Hickman and appointing a writer as the de facto co-editor for the line.

Fan art and fan comics are something that are always nice to see the energy put in like this Magnus family fan comic I saw this week.

Last decade was a chance to build a cohesive Magnus family. But, studio politics and other things got in the way and then it was retconned. Let’s only hope the new decade is an improvement.
    Last edited by jmc247; 01-06-2020 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Also adding here that Marvel editors have not caught obvious misspellings in comics, and colorists have done things like paint Cap's lower body to look like he was wearing whitey tighties. They make pretty frequent mistakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Also Marvel's editing has been very slapdash for years, particularly on minor books, so the a page drawn for a cancelled book might represent an editor's mistake or lack of guidance from an editor or many other things.

I don't even blame the editors; they just don't have enough staff, which is why I think there's something to be said for what the X-Books are doing with Hickman and appointing a writer as the de facto co-editor for the line.
    I've seen misspellings get past editors, including toward the end of X-Factor. That's different from whether or not a character is acknowledged as part of a group - wherein people would have a fit if Marvel, for example, made a list of meaningful black Marvel characters and left out Monica Rambeau (and FYI, I did search to see if Marvel acknowledged her, and they did for Black History Month).

In this case, it's also different because Marvel has a history of excluding Lorna from the family, and has done so in multiple recent projects. The credibility of any individual incident being an accident ("this editor just missed a detail" "this game developer just went by what they knew in the 90s") stretches thin when the incidents start piling up across a decade. I'm not keen on saying Lorna's exclusion is somehow an accident every single time it happens when Marvel's history and my sense of the situation say otherwise.

I sympathize with that. It's annoying that they forget their own canon. But it can be a product of stories being handled by so many different people. It's not an excuse of it. It's very poor management and quality. And a lot of their stuff is all over the place. But I don't know if it'll ever get better.

The entire family sans Magneto right now is lacking in any kind of real story. For Wanda and Pietro my guess is they are waiting on plans to be finalized with the MCU before deciding what to do with them. The decision might have already been made, its just we don't know how it will play out. For Lorna its a question of what can she do when dad has the most obvious roles as in all of them for her on the island. Something might be planned for her or not we don't know.

Magneto seems so drunk on the idea that everything has been planned for and Krakoa won’t go the same way as Genosha. Lorna from what we have seen seems less certain, though they played it vague and we only got a small peak into her thinking.
    Last edited by jmc247; 01-07-2020 at 11:52 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post

I knew it. U have a thing for greenheads.
    Last edited by Vishop_; 01-07-2020 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    The entire family sans Magneto right now is lacking in any kind of real story. For Wanda and Pietro my guess is they are waiting on plans to be finalized with the MCU before deciding what to do with them. The decision might have already been made, its just we don't know how it will play out. For Lorna its a question of what can she do when dad has the most obvious roles as in all of them for her on the island. Something might be planned for her or not we don't know.

Magneto seems so drunk on the idea that everything has been planned for and Krakoa won’t go the same way as Genosha. Lorna from what we have seen seems less certain, though they played it vague and we only got a small peak into her thinking.
    Wanda is supposed to be in some things. We just don't know how much. Right now we have the nostalgia story in Tarot, she's supposed to be in Star and then Doctor Strange's magic academy book. She's been in Strange's book, so that might be where she stays.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    ???? What... the idea she wouldn't care who her dad might be is ridiculous just because she's a "strong woman". Nonsensical really.

Of course they'd cast a 50-60 actor to be Magneto why on earth wouldn't they do that? Same with Xavier.

Are you assuming Mags and Xav are gonna be the same ages as the XMen in the MCU for some reason...? And if so why did you assume that?

They can easily get around the whole parents supposedly dying from some bombing. That isn't hard in any way. This is comics we're talking about come on you can't seriously think that's a real restriction here?

Nearly a year and not undone doesn't prove anything, nearly a year isn't that long, and if it starts to get undone in this upcoming TV series then there you go. Plus Wanda and Pietro are hardly being used in the comics perhaps there is a connection here?

As for Magneto backstory needing to be WWII yep that is definitely problematic in terms of sliding timescale and all of that but then again Steve Rogers' backstory involves being around during the Depression/New Deal. I don't think it's at all going to prohibit the family.

Wanda and Pietro I would bet huge money are going to both be mutants within 5 years OFFICIALLY on and off screen.
    Actually, Wanda did stop searching for her "real dad" after the Avengers defeated Chthon and buried Django.
    I think the event of Nights of Wundagore is already enough for her, this is where the father who raised her died.
    Had Magneto not knocked on Bova and Modred's door and actively seeking them, Wanda and Pietro would probably just stay at that phase.

The same goes for MCU Wanda, as far as she knows, the parents who cared for them died in bombing.
    I don't honestly think it's about her being strong or not, it's simply about her focusing on the people she actually made a connection with and who she chose as family.
    As little as Django is used, I'd agree Wanda consider him the real father.
    And the awkward thing is that Magneto cannot even play the "evil patriach" figure properly since Chthon can just do that job way better.
    With Magneto you got half-assed "love" and conflict that probably won't lead to anything meaningful other than fan wish fulfillment.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Fan work is more reason that Lorna would be there, if it was guided by fan work.

And still, regardless of what the artist used as a basis, that's one of the reasons editors exist. To catch oversights and say things need to be added, removed, changed.
    Yeah the nice lovely second pic from my fav weibo user.
    The combination of Mag/Charles ship and Magnus kids(not that I am particularly fond of the act of casually leving out Magda and Ms.Dane.)
    The artist is a comic reader who knew them well, though probaly lean more on the X-side.
    But for casual fans this just sorta create a false image of them, not that fan art shouldn't do this, the results are people just assume them to be some kind of fluffy family.
    (Though they probably won't read comics anyway, so they won't be disappointed.)
    I sometimes have to play the ******* who remind them it's only ever in their head.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Yeah the nice lovely second pic from my fav weibo user.
    The combination of Mag/Charles ship and Magnus kids(not that I am particularly fond of the act of casually leving out Magda and Ms.Dane.)
    The artist is a comic reader who knew them well, though probaly lean more on the X-side.
    But for casual fans this just sorta create a false image of them, not that fan art shouldn't do this, the results are people just assume them to be some kind of fluffy family.
    (Though they probably won't read comics anyway, so they won't be disappointed.)
    I sometimes have to play the ******* who remind them it's only ever in their head.
    Honestly, telling people that what they're a fan of isn't how Marvel's written them in the 616 isn't necessary. It doesn't matter. Marvel is simply the company that owns their copyright. The actual creators of these characters aren't around or involved in what stories Marvel decides to tell today.

Fans have a better sense of what's a good fit than Marvel does - and we've especially seen this with how Marvel's treated Polaris in, oh, forever. Particularly these past few years.