Page 43 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Just to clarify/reiterate: my POV is that a champion for her on the X-Men books doesn't necessarily mean she gets used on the X-Men books. It can just as well mean that champion saying not to use her there, if appropriate.

Not having a champion for her on the X-Men books, in my estimation, just means a higher chance of her being treated poorly. Lack of a champion means a writer or editor eager to exploit the character has no voice within their office either dissenting against the use, or ensuring better treatment if unavoidable.

By comparison, I've argued for Lorna not being used by the X-books with their current attitude toward her since I think she's better off left alone until future people work there that have more respect for her and what she offers. If it were my ideal scenario, of course I'd want Lorna all over the place. But given how poorly they treat her, she's better off not being used in X-Men comics as they're being run today. Lorna has no champion for her working on the X-books and it shows. Ironically, the recent Deadpool issue involving X-Men is the best treatment she's had since 2015. My only Marvel comics purchase since late 2018.
    I think they need to champion Pietro back in the X-books. Since his major development came from that side.

For sure all of them need good writers and good editors to care about them again.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    I liked the issue and I agree teapartyofthedead and Salarta, Magneto has complex feelings over the issue but will not talk about them openly, the issue left me with the impression Johana expected him to have a different oppinion given his previous relationship with Wanda and was dissapointed Magneto didnīt really want to talk about the issue at all so this will be a subplot in the series in the near future. My guess is that Magneto is of the oppinion that they are not related but still feels a connection with them and this clashes with the reality of ruling Krakoa and still having thousand of depowered mutants hence the conflict inside himself

I think Ewing likes Wanda a lot given his work on Avengers No surrender where he wrote her really well and on Empyre so I see him getting ready to tackle the status of the relationship between Magneto, Wanda, Pietro, Billy and Teddy and I think itīs neccesary, this has been the elephant in the room for 4 years already, a little post retcon resolution is neccesary imo hopefully he will also remember Speed. I think he will do this with nuance without making them be the boogey man, heīs just addresing what Hickman is currently doing over on the X-men.
    It might not be his choice of what to do with Wanda right now. It might be me managing expectations, but, I don't see them doing anything with the family dynamics. Or they would have done that in the past. They had 30 years for Mags. And it's been 11 years for Billy and Tommy. It's been nearly two years (will be two years in March) since they got the Fox rights back.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Given the rights are back and Ewing wants to use them, given his interviews where he said he had future plans for Teddy and Billy with S.W.OR.D , I donīt see marvel management having a problem with reestablishing a dynamic, not neccesarily a familiar one, I can see Ewing using this angle to add political shenanigans and emotional relationships between the characters involved.

I would love if Ewing added the inhumans with Luna given they used to live in the moon and the Shiar.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Given the rights are back and Ewing wants to use them, given his interviews where he said he had future plans for Teddy and Billy with S.W.OR.D , I donīt see marvel management having a problem with reestablishing a dynamic, not neccesarily a familiar one, I can see Ewing using this angle to add political shenanigans and emotional relationships between the characters involved.

I would love if Ewing added the inhumans with Luna given they used to live in the moon and the Shiar.
    The rights being back doesn't mean anything though. Because like they brought back F4 immediately. And Pietro had a solo going at the time. And instead they just re-iterated that Mags wasn't his dad. And they've always been a little wonky with the family thing. Ewing might want to use them, Marvel might not let it happen. Keep in mind Marvel also does not let Wanda and Vision be a thing again either. And were the ones that mandated mutants be depowered.

I feel Ewing loves these characters. I don't honestly know what Marvel's situation is.

He likely does have plans for Billy and Teddy in S.W.O.R.D. That might not have much if anything to do with Wanda, beyond them supporting her verbally. She's been for a long time now just a vague mention in most things. And only actually able to have decent panel time in Avengers side books.

Honestly, having thought about it more throughout today and tonight, I have to say I was wrong. I agree with GenericUsername now. Wanda shouldn't be used by the current X-Men comics.

If I don't trust this office with Lorna, why should I trust them with Wanda? Or the Magnus family as a whole? We saw her being poorly used as a plot device on Empyre: X-Men already. It's not far off from how they treat Lorna. Only difference is Wanda's escaped the level of damage Lorna is receiving because she's been separated from X-Men and mutantdom by the retcon Marvel pulled during their feud with Fox.

I still, at the moment, support and would like to see the Magnus family acknowledged and supported elsewhere. I was very glad to see it in Marvel Puzzle Quest, and look forward to similar. Of course fandom should keep showing the love and support for it in general. I might even support it in other Marvel comics, if they're ready to treat the whole family respectfully instead of looking for ways to excise Lorna from it like the Avengers books kept trying to do in the early 2010s. But as things stand right now, I think the Magnus family is best off not being used by the X-Men comics. Like Lorna herself, saved for a future X-Men comics operation that's ready to treat them all right and respectfully, not as objects to exploit for other characters they like and respect more.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Yeah comics haven't been exactly lighting things up lately with a lot of characters. Some things they do well. But it's very patchy. I've basically relied on hoping the MCU to treat her well. Maybe if they do have her sons in her show for more than just an illusion, they'll at least let them talk to each other in comics. But I've honestly been waiting for them to develop that link for 10 years. I'm not hopeful.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    The rights being back doesn't mean anything though. Because like they brought back F4 immediately. And Pietro had a solo going at the time. And instead they just re-iterated that Mags wasn't his dad. And they've always been a little wonky with the family thing. Ewing might want to use them, Marvel might not let it happen. Keep in mind Marvel also does not let Wanda and Vision be a thing again either. And were the ones that mandated mutants be depowered.

I feel Ewing loves these characters. I don't honestly know what Marvel's situation is.

He likely does have plans for Billy and Teddy in S.W.O.R.D. That might not have much if anything to do with Wanda, beyond them supporting her verbally. She's been for a long time now just a vague mention in most things. And only actually able to have decent panel time in Avengers side books.
    Agreed Ewing probably will just tackle Teddy and Billy relationship with S.W.O.R.D, Krakoa and Magneto thatīs actually a fact given his interviews, the end of Empyre and this first issue wheter we will see Pietro or Wanda around time will only tell, I donīt see it as impossible and itīs actually an interesting subplot to tackle with a lot of different perspectives involved. Anyway I will be happy with Ewing plans.

Poor Magneto he was just doing an inspection and here comes the ambassador from the Kree/Skrull Empire forcing him to feel all those contradictory emotions. Ewing sure knows his canon and also how to use it
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 12-10-2020 at 11:06 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Agreed Ewing probably will just tackle Teddy and Billy relationship with S.W.O.R.D, Krakoa and Magneto thatīs actually a fact given his interviews, the end of Empyre and this first issue wheter we will see Pietro or Wanda around time will only tell, I donīt see it as impossible and itīs actually an interesting subplot to tackle with a lot of different perspectives involved. Anyway I will be happy with Ewing plans.

Poor Magneto he was just doing an inspection and here comes the ambassador from the Kree/Skrull Empire forcing him to feel all those contradictory emotions. Ewing sure knows his canon and also how to use it
    Ewing writes well and cares about the characters, so no matter who is in it, it'll be a decent read.

Agreed, I loved his Avengers stories and I am not a big Avengerīs fan, he just has a way of showing the human and realistic side of the characters thatīs is often forgotten under all those crossovers and epic moments, his stories also have those without forgetting the human element

Incredible Member teapartyofthedead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    I think they need to champion Pietro back in the X-books. Since his major development came from that side.

For sure all of them need good writers and good editors to care about them again.
    Above all they need this. But by champion, I mean someone who is going to push back against poor decisions in regards to her story, sympathetic to her character history and potential as Salarta said. But you’re both right that we haven’t seen much of any reason to believe the X-side of things is going to turn 180 degrees all of a sudden in how they have portrayed her. Empyre was an insulting mess for her, a backhanded compliment at best. But the reality is until someone does step up for her in the x-offices, bad depictions are going to continue and affect her on the Avengers side of things, especially as Krakoa is going to be a long-term setting. For better or worse, it is a shared universe. Of course, at this point, I will take them hiring a sensitivity reader so they can stop using ableist, misogynistic tropes in how they treat her. I can hope that Wanda Visions popularity makes them final realize they can’t keep using such problematic tropes, anymore than they would with someone like Carol or Jessica Jones.

I'm still not sure it was her or her modern self, because in the X-book Empyre issue, she's wearing a completely different costume than the Avengers Empyre stuff. It's so weird. It's either a bad oversight, or something's not quite right.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I'd say she needs a champion on the X-Men books.

Champion doesn't have to just mean "person who wants to use her" though. Champion has to mean someone that cares about her for herself and wants to do good things for her. Someone who's looked at her history, cares about it, wants to work with it and wants to fix past mistreatment. And, this is vital - cares about her enough to know when and where NOT to use her.

I'm applying the same criteria here as I do for Polaris. There's a huge gulf between "person who uses the character because they love and respect that character" and "person who uses the character cause that character can be exploited to benefit other characters." Seen that most of the time for Lorna since 2017. Wouldn't want that happening to Wanda any more than to Lorna.
    My stance is that her involvement in X-franchise now ranges from pointless to straight up harmful, yeah, of course I would prefer some gentle treatment if they have to use her, but not involved at all is my preferred option, no champion, no exploiter, no nothing.

Extraordinary Member

Just have Wanda go through the crucible. Then I’m sure she’ll be forgiven when she’s reborn.

BANNED

https://www.murphysmultiverse.com/ne...me-easter-egg/

If it is the high evolutionary, wanda and pietro will never be mutants again.
    May the mcu put the final nail in the coffin.

#bringbackanya2021
    Last edited by Ferro; 12-11-2020 at 08:49 AM.

Magneto just mentioned Wanda's name for the first time since 2014. He clearly doesn't care about her.