Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

^ What's good about fanfic is you aren't selling it, you don't have to please tons of folks

You can write it much more "pure" or fulfill your own desires, fit into a tiny niche yknow?

And it doesn't need to maintain characters or status quos either so you can write MUCH more dynamic and self contained style story with more stakes or consequences
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

What numbers for video games are considered to be high depends heavily on the type of game.

Fate Grand Order reached over 34 million downloads worldwide from summer 2015 to November 2018. FGO is considered one of the more popular video-gamey type of mobile games. as in more involved than games like Angry Birds; which being simpler and easier fare, reached 3 billion downloads in July 2015. But necessary to consider is how that number comes from the time span of 2009 to 2015 (6 years vs FGO's 3 years) and Angry Birds had multiple editions to boost its numbers (vs FGO having just one version per region, with the U.S. version which would give it the biggest market launching in summer 2017).

By contrast, if you look at console/PC video games, the numbers are much lower. Around the 10 mil mark was considered amazing for Horizon: Zero Dawn, especially for being on only one console. Simultaneously, when Resident Evil 6 came out, Capcom initially wanted 10 million sales in the first month, lowered it to 7 mil, it ended up with only 5 mil.

Another thing to keep in mind with games and "get tons of characters" gacha style games (which it looks like Marvel Future Fight counts as) is that unless someone feels strongly attached to a specific character, they generally don't read or care much about their bio information. All that really matters is their stats. People do pick up what stories/dialogue present though.

Regardless, what Marvel puts in bios/info sections does still matter as a sign of how they see various characters and what their future plans with those characters may be. Constantly skipping over characters people keep asking for to reach for obscure ones or make new ones for years kinda tells you how little respect they have for those characters.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

PC and console do have much smaller crowds, but I was discussing mobile games which do much better. But still more games do much better than Marvel games. I don't know why. It should be more popular with the movies. It's just not enough to beat out other more popular games. And they don't make it on any most watched lists on Twitch either.

The games don't really indicate what Marvel will do, because the games are contracted out. The companies making the game decide what they want to do. And as long as it's been canon in something of Marvel, they usually don't care. They even let them make up their own characters for games and own looks. Marvel at one time was more strict about that sort of thing, but haven't been in about a decade now.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

HoM skin out in Marvel Super War.

I think selling the idea of Magnus family packs for games might be smart. What have been all the various games the members of the Magnus family have been in of late?
    Last edited by jmc247; 01-08-2020 at 08:07 PM.

I really want to try that game. They need to release it in the US.

I know they were family in MH but that was both before and after the whole Marvel Studios vs. Fox nonsense. I stopped playing Future Fight, so no idea if they are in there. MUA 3 had Wanda listed as a mutant on their site but not in the game. So that was weird. Not sure about the other mobile games either. Because I stopped playing Strike Force because it got terrible. And that was before Wanda came into the game.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    HoM skin out in Marvel Super War.

I think selling the idea of Magnus family packs for games might be smart. What have been all the various games the members of the Magnus family have been in of late?
    This makes me remember how often merchandising comes before a movie so it`s already there when the movie is out and if the movie was good enough people will buy the toys and games.

I could be wrong but there`s a possibility marvel wants to do something with the Magnus family or the HoM world in the comics or in MCU given the number or games and toys based in the concept.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

The Brotherhood pack was released for the 80th to commemorate their time with the Brotherhood. They also released a lot of other classic X-Men stuff from the 90s for the 80th. It's also why Wanda's newest pop is the old Kirby design.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    The Brotherhood pack was released for the 80th to commemorate their time with the Brotherhood. They also released a lot of other classic X-Men stuff from the 90s for the 80th. It's also why Wanda's newest pop is the old Kirby design.
    Yes but if marvel wants to keep the Axis retcon why make the dialogue of the characters in the games seem like they are still family? why sell images, toys and games that makes us remember House of M? why now? imo even the WandaVision series while not being about HoM, seems to take some conceptual clues from Wanda`s desing and powers from HoM and the Russo brothers once said in an interview that endgame could have been HoM given the chance but if the MCU wants to make it after endgme it has to be earned.

So yes I think there`s definitely something in plans, will they bring back the family connection in comics? maybe, maybe not, but it`s obvious to me that they want to play with the concept of HoM a little.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    This makes me remember how often merchandising comes before a movie so it`s already there when the movie is out and if the movie was good enough people will buy the toys and games.

I could be wrong but there`s a possibility marvel wants to do something with the Magnus family or the HoM world in the comics or in MCU given the number or games and toys based in the concept.
    In terms of Marvel possibility building up to an MCU version of House of M? Perhaps or perhaps Wanda will be going through some events in the MCU that share a few similarities to the crossover. This is the 15th anniversary of HoM this year so signs of things leading to such a movie might be mistaken for anniversary stuff.

Watch the quantity of promotion there and see if it goes outside Wanda as includes the others. It’s a bit like reading the tea leaves.
    Last edited by jmc247; 01-08-2020 at 11:13 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    ^ What's good about fanfic is you aren't selling it, you don't have to please tons of folks

You can write it much more "pure" or fulfill your own desires, fit into a tiny niche yknow?

And it doesn't need to maintain characters or status quos either so you can write MUCH more dynamic and self contained style story with more stakes or consequences
    That is people can distinguish between the two, most of Marvel's new fans aren't really comic readers.
    And selfishly speaking, I don't really want them to be defined by fanfic and ComicExplained like channel. And I'd like to discuss with people who don't assume them to be whatever fanfics made them out to be.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    There's a decent chunk of "movie Wanda" fans who are definitely aware of her lineage and view it as a positive, thinking it adds something to her character suggesting how dangerous or whatever she can potentially be. Like it makes her more "spicy" next to a lot of the more bland Avengers.
    Yeah, and they think HoM would be a good story for Wanda as well.
    And this is kinda my reason for liking her Wundagore/Chthon lore, it makes her spicy among Avengers or mutants.(The same reason for liking Magik)
    I would probably like it better if Wanda is an actual X-character who get do the family drama in her own territory.

And writers' decision aside, Chthon just fit better as a personal villain, and Agatha filled that supporting mentor/parent slot, where does Magneto fit in?
    When mutant/X side started to play god/demon games, she is dealing with a literal Elder God. It just feels off.

Yes but if marvel wants to keep the Axis retcon why make the dialogue of the characters in the games seem like they are still family? why sell images, toys and games that makes us remember House of M? why now? imo even the WandaVision series while not being about HoM, seems to take some conceptual clues from Wanda`s desing and powers from HoM and the Russo brothers once said in an interview that endgame could have been HoM given the chance but if the MCU wants to make it after endgme it has to be earned.

So yes I think there`s definitely something in plans, will they bring back the family connection in comics? maybe, maybe not, but it`s obvious to me that they want to play with the concept of HoM a little.
    Marvel likes to go over their past things. Especially in anniversary years. Games again, are because those are handled outside of Marvel. Neither Disney nor Marvel make games. We don't really know what's in WandaVision, other than the people they cast. Reportedly Nightmare is in it. But no synopsis has been announced. Pics of Agatha have turned up, so we know it's at least going into that. But we don't know if Vision is back, how he comes back, how the kids come in, if they even are there or someone else's kids. There's more fan theories than actual facts in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    In terms of Marvel possibility building up to an MCU version of House of M? Perhaps or perhaps Wanda will be going through some events in the MCU that share a few similarities to the crossover. This is the 15th anniversary of HoM this year so signs of things leading to such a movie might be mistaken for anniversary stuff.

Watch the quantity of promotion there and see if it goes outside Wanda as includes the others. It’s a bit like reading the tea leaves.
    Yes that may be it, what makes me suspect something else may be or was in the works is that family tree from the Vision series as well as the family reunion of the PYM family given only the maximoffs didn`t show up.

Yes, it`s like reading tea leaves you are like is this a thing or I am just seeing things? XD

GenericUsername:

I agree I don`t think WandaVision WILL be HoM but they will definitely desing Wanda`s powers in a way similar to that crossover and nighmare is a good substitute for Pietro making Wanda build her own word, this time for his own reasons and not to save her.

I know it`s not a sure thing but imo marvel is kind of teasing it a little too much
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 01-08-2020 at 11:27 PM.

Extraordinary Member

To be fair, the story elements in MFF is just an excuse for gameplay. I don't think many care about the plot with each new update, they focus on who is worth investing for the most part.
    Also "HoM" powers aren't even established in HoM, they are a sorry shadow of Busiek era. HoM stole with its underseved popularity.

Yes that may be it, what makes me suspect something else may be or was in the works is that family tree from the Vision series as well as the family reunion of the PYM family given only the maximoffs didn`t show up.

Yes, it`s like reading tea leaves you are like is this a thing or I am just seeing things? XD

GenericUsername:

I agree I don`t think WandaVision WILL be HoM but they will definitely desing Wanda`s powers in a way similar to that crossover and nighmare is a good substitute for Pietro making Wanda build her own word, this time for his own reasons and not to save her.

I know it`s not a sure thing but imo marvel is kind of teasing it a little too much
    Or it's Nightmare messing with her. Marvel does nothing but tease. Which is why they gave us Loki dressed as Wanda years ago, and Toxic Doxie in Wanda's costume while Wanda was in limbo. Or that Wanda could become Sorceress Supreme and it ended up being Brother Voodoo. Something seeming like it's setting up something doesn't always mean it's that. Sometimes it is just a tease. And the most obvious thing is the answer.