Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Coates pace is off and his Steve is way off. He started out very good but pretty soon the story has dragged on longer than it needed to be. Then the focus no longer became about Steve but rather Sharon, Peggy and the DoL.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Coates pace is off and his Steve is way off. He started out very good but pretty soon the story has dragged on longer than it needed to be. Then the focus no longer became about Steve but rather Sharon, Peggy and the DoL.
    I understand. Brubaker spent a great deal of his run on Sharon, Bucky, and others too. My point is sometimes the artist can render a script with more meaning and actually elevate the writing. Both Coates and Aaron as well as Hickman can spend endless hours and issues developing plot. Some I've enjoyed, some not so much. Anxious to see how this issue sits with me.

Quote Originally Posted by tliscord View Post
    Attachment 101357Attachment 101358

The guy is good. One of the best renditions of Natasha ever, way different than Colan's who is god
    Nice depiction of Cap here, jettisoned the buzz cut for traditional look.

I've enjoyed Coates' writing especially the introspection of Steve. Last issue was a joy to read. He really gave Sharon a voice that I didn't expect. Brubaker dedicated a few Cap issues to Sharon, I actually warmed to Remender's take even if he killed her off ... briefly, but Coates' wrote her very well, with a better existential bent than Ed. For those hankering for a change in writers, I'd say with the right artist, this book could kill it. Let's see what we get with the October issue.
    The book actually WAS very good with Yu. Fell off slightly with Kubert. But I can see where you're coming from.

I understand. Brubaker spent a great deal of his run on Sharon, Bucky, and others too. My point is sometimes the artist can render a script with more meaning and actually elevate the writing. Both Coates and Aaron as well as Hickman can spend endless hours and issues developing plot. Some I've enjoyed, some not so much. Anxious to see how this issue sits with me.
    He has the same issue with his Black panther, story is way longer than needed, secondary characters getting the majority of the focus. But, he must have a good working relationship with Acuna since he had him on BP too.

He has the same issue with his Black panther, story is way longer than needed, secondary characters getting the majority of the focus. But, he must have a good working relationship with Acuna since he had him on BP too.
    Interesting while reading your response, I thought of Gerry Conway's recent statement that comics should be formatted around longer TPB stories. I wonder if Coates' style might be more suited for for that approach rather than the monthly story. Been following Rucka/Lark's Lazarus series which has morphed into quarterly episodes.

Interesting while reading your response, I thought of Gerry Conway's recent statement that comics should be formatted around longer TPB stories. I wonder if Coates' style might be more suited for for that approach rather than the monthly story. Been following Rucka/Lark's Lazarus series which has morphed into quarterly episodes.
    That's some of the feedback about Coates, his runs are better read in trades. I still don't like what he did with BP. His cap started are strong imo but the story started dragging and the focus became less about Steve.

Fantastic Member

In many ways, I feel as if a good lead is as strong as their supporting cast. That's partially what made Brubaker's run great. It wasn't just Steve that was good, but the way he elevated Sam, Bucky, Sharon, and Natasha. Coates, in many ways, tries to emulate that because he does spend more time building Steve's supports. And I'm going to be honest, he writes female characters much better than Brubaker. That being said, I think he still struggles significantly with finding Steve's voice, which is why it's felt very disjointed and weaker. I also agree that his writing reads better as a binge read as opposed to single-issues. His pacing on single-issues isn't great. The Legend of Steve arc dragged and wasn't great.

That being said, a recent binge of this run has led me to believe Coates is writing less of a superhero story, and more of a love story.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherclassic View Post
    In many ways, I feel as if a good lead is as strong as their supporting cast. That's partially what made Brubaker's run great. It wasn't just Steve that was good, but the way he elevated Sam, Bucky, Sharon, and Natasha. Coates, in many ways, tries to emulate that because he does spend more time building Steve's supports. And I'm going to be honest, he writes female characters much better than Brubaker. That being said, I think he still struggles significantly with finding Steve's voice, which is why it's felt very disjointed and weaker. I also agree that his writing reads better as a binge read as opposed to single-issues. His pacing on single-issues isn't great. The Legend of Steve arc dragged and wasn't great.

That being said, a recent binge of this run has led me to believe Coates is writing less of a superhero story, and more of a love story.
    Interesting. A Steve/Sharon love story, or a Steve/America (the country) love story?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Interesting. A Steve/Sharon love story, or a Steve/America (the country) love story?
    The love story with Steve and Sharon is the more obvious bit, but one thing I've noticed is that Steve's romantic relationship mirrors his relationship with the country and shield.

The story begins with him as Captain America and him in a relationship with Sharon, but there are obvious fractures. It's clear the country doesn't totally trust him in the aftermath of Secret Empire. Sharon has forgiven him for what has happened, but their romance is strained, in part, due to Steve's inability to forgive himself and Sharon's struggles with her age. But then **** begins to hit the fan. Sharon gets kidnapped and tortured, and the incident is used to provide motive for framing Steve for murder. Thus begins a a rough patch in his relationship with the country and Sharon. When he's on the run, he has significant self-doubt in himself, the country, and his relationship with Sharon. It's clear he loves both, but it's hard and confusing and he doesn't know how to fix both. She's keeping secrets and he's running around doing side questions with no real goal. Eventually, he finds out what she's keeping from him, he has a new goal, puts on the Captain America costume again. Sharon giving the shield back to Steve is paired with a declaration from him -- interestingly drawn with him dropping down on one knee -- "I've always needed a team, and I've always needed you on it." His relationship with being Captain America, and Sharon, appear to be healing. Almost literally, with Sharon regaining her youth, one of her biggest issues at the start of the run.

I could also be reading wayyyyy too much into things. It's clear that Coates is a character-driven writer, and Steve and Sharon are unquestionably the two leads. Where it goes from here, idk.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherclassic View Post
    The love story with Steve and Sharon is the more obvious bit, but one thing I've noticed is that Steve's romantic relationship mirrors his relationship with the country and shield.

The story begins with him as Captain America and him in a relationship with Sharon, but there are obvious fractures. It's clear the country doesn't totally trust him in the aftermath of Secret Empire. Sharon has forgiven him for what has happened, but their romance is strained, in part, due to Steve's inability to forgive himself and Sharon's struggles with her age. But then **** begins to hit the fan. Sharon gets kidnapped and tortured, and the incident is used to provide motive for framing Steve for murder. Thus begins a a rough patch in his relationship with the country and Sharon. When he's on the run, he has significant self-doubt in himself, the country, and his relationship with Sharon. It's clear he loves both, but it's hard and confusing and he doesn't know how to fix both. She's keeping secrets and he's running around doing side questions with no real goal. Eventually, he finds out what she's keeping from him, he has a new goal, puts on the Captain America costume again. Sharon giving the shield back to Steve is paired with a declaration from him -- interestingly drawn with him dropping down on one knee -- "I've always needed a team, and I've always needed you on it." His relationship with being Captain America, and Sharon, appear to be healing. Almost literally, with Sharon regaining her youth, one of her biggest issues at the start of the run.

I could also be reading wayyyyy too much into things. It's clear that Coates is a character-driven writer, and Steve and Sharon are unquestionably the two leads. Where it goes from here, idk.
    That's actually a very good take on it, especially given that Steve's relationship with America and the shield he wields as Captain America can be taken as an allegory for the increasingly public conflict in the real world between what America wants to be or is at its best and what it lapses into all too frequently or becomes at its worst, and how --- or if --- those two sides can ever be reconciled.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

That's some of the feedback about Coates, his runs are better read in trades. I still don't like what he did with BP. His cap started are strong imo but the story started dragging and the focus became less about Steve.
    My gripe with this is... he's not publishing in trades. So he should adjust his writing style to fit the monthly process. (Like I'm a professional [I'm not]). I just feel like if you are writing a story that is released in monthly installments, you should do enough in each installment to push the story forward, not drag it through the mud. If he WERE writing it like Rucka is writing Lazarus now, where it's just a couple of oversized issues a year, then fine. But that's not how Marvel works.

Acuna is really fantastic here. Couldn't read the latest issue fast enough. Next month is too far away. Writing Sharon exceptionally well. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    My gripe with this is... he's not publishing in trades. So he should adjust his writing style to fit the monthly process. (Like I'm a professional [I'm not]). I just feel like if you are writing a story that is released in monthly installments, you should do enough in each installment to push the story forward, not drag it through the mud. If he WERE writing it like Rucka is writing Lazarus now, where it's just a couple of oversized issues a year, then fine. But that's not how Marvel works.
    That was a problem with a lot of comics, being written with the trade in mind. Personally, if a story/writing is bad, it doesn't matter if I read it monthly or all in one setting. It's still bad.

I don't know how long Coates plans to stay on Cap but once this arc is over, I hope he focuses more on Cap/Steve-centric stories.

That was a problem with a lot of comics, being written with the trade in mind. Personally, if a story/writing is bad, it doesn't matter if I read it monthly or all in one setting. It's still bad.

I don't know how long Coates plans to stay on Cap but once this arc is over, I hope he focuses more on Cap/Steve-centric stories.
    Agreed. If you look at Daredevil, Zdarsky has been playing a long game since issue #1, but each issue moves the story forward and has something valuable to add. I don't know if I can say the same for Coates' Cap. I am however, excited to get this issue because of Acuna's art. So there's that at least.

Fantastic Member

This issue was simultaneously very horny and very soft. Also, it was once-again character-driven with the hint that next issue we'll see more action.

I liked the juxtaposition of Lukin being haunted by the voices in his head and Sharon also being haunted by the souls Selene stole. "Avenge Us" takes a different meaning for both. Same with both couples. Alexa is encouranging her husband to embrace the Skull and his ideology while Steve and Sharon conclude the issue with discussing how to best serve Americans and the dream. Their conversation about Sharon felt removed from the common people definitely mirrors some conversations we hear today about direct action v. policy.

I think the weakest part of the storyline has been that the DOL in Madripoor have barely been touched on, so I have little to know investment in their drama. They've only appeared in one or two panels an issue, which ties back to earlier criticisms in this thread about how that doesn't make for the most engaging month-to-month storytelling. It's easy to forget they're there and now apparently kidnapped.

Art is absolutely gorgeous tho.