Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tliscord View Post
    Did I miss the Chadwick reference?
    I had to google to find out as well but there was a character named Herspheus Chadwick and his son Cheer Chadwick who led the Secret Empire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret...(organization)

A character named Calvin Chadwick also showed up in Agent Carter as the husband of Whitney Frost in their semi adaptation of Secret Empire (the organization not the story):

https://marvelcinematicuniverse.fand...alvin_Chadwick

Spectacular Member

Hey, did anyone read that article where some "writer" claimed Steve volunteering for the Super Soldier program was selfishness? CBR took it down.

Posted on Memorial Day, for Christ's sake...

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by katefan View Post
    Hey, did anyone read that article where some "writer" claimed Steve volunteering for the Super Soldier program was selfishness? CBR took it down.

I didn't get the chance to read it but judging from the reactions it was a hitpiece. The balls on that writer to write a Cap hitpiece on memorial day.

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    LOL. As opposed to Gruenwald... “OMG Bernie, I may have accidentally killed this bad dude when we were fighting. I hate myself now.”
    Correct, capandkirby. All that anguish produced so much drama that I simply couldn't get enough of it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I didn't get the chance to read it but judging from the reactions it was a hitpiece. The balls on that writer to write a Cap hitpiece on memorial day.
    If you want to hear someone read the article and comment on it go to Youtube and search "star wars girl captain america". CBR took the article down but plenty of people saved it.

Thumbs up

I did, it was a thinly disguised trash tier hit piece. I won't say more because frankly the troll who wrote it isn't worth my time. He sure as heck ain't getting a reaction out of me beyond this.
    Last edited by Celgress; 05-26-2020 at 07:53 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

If you want to hear someone read the article and comment on it go to Youtube and search "star wars girl captain america". CBR took the article down but plenty of people saved it.
    I saw video that read the contents of the deleted article from an achieved page. When you need to remove the context from something in order to make your argument it's the makings of a crappy hot take.

Yes. I saw. And it ticked me off for multiple reasons, not the least of which is the fact that Cap's creator, Jack Kirby, was a WW2 soldier himself. Who almost lost his legs to frost bite during said war (because he could draw, Kirby was made a scout, he actually helped to liberate a concentration camp). And that's just ONE offensive part of CBR writing/publishing that article. (BTW Joe Simon, Cap's other creator, also served in the National Guard during WW2).

Moreover, as someone who used to work in the biotech industry, how the heck is volunteering for experimental drugs "selfish"?! I worked on the data analyst/monitoring side of clinical trials. I worked on this one study for a pain medication during dental surgery. Some of the recipients were given freakin placebos (in the form of acetaminophen). As it was a blind study, the participants weren't aware of who had what. That is far from being selfish - that is taking one for the team/humanity! Moreover, was the author implying that people should just suffer under their disabilities? Are Bucky and Misty "selfish" for using prosthetic arms? The absolute nerve of the dude who wrote the article! How ableist could you be?!

Lastly, and I've said this before, Cap's origin story was modeled after the golem of Prague story as both of his creators were first generation American-born Jewish and Hitler was killing-off/mutilating/targeting their relatives in Europe. The parable goes like this: a Jewish rabbi created a champion/warrior from raw material with 'magic' to defend the Jewish people from persecution. Several aspects of Cap's origin story, not the least of which is the super soldier serum (and the vita-rays used, re: the "magic" with sickly Steve Rogers being the raw material) exemplify this. For example, the golem had a star on his chest, as does Cap's uniform. The A on Cap's cowl also has revelovence to this story:

The Golem is animated by the letters אמת spelling out the word “Truth” in Hebrew. The letter emblazoned on Captain America’s mask is “A” obviously for America, but the Hebrew letter א is analogous to the English letter A.
    From the article: I Bet You Didn’t Know Captain America was a Golem!

So Kirby and Simon weren't just blindly going 'hey, how can we create an ultra-strong fighting machine... I know drugs!" No, they were taking from the narrative of their culture and applying it to their creation.

To call that "selfish"?! No words. Un-freakin-believable. The disrespect! The thinly veiled anti-semitism! I just can't even with CBR right now. Why on EARTH would they think that article was a good idea?!

But if any good came out of it, it was the immediate outrage. It was heartwarming to see how quickly fandom (and the professionals themselves!) jumped on CBR for it...

Did I miss the Chadwick reference?
    You mean recently? Cheer's cameo in Coates run? She was shown to be a part of the conspiracy with Lukin/Selene, et al in Captain America #14...

I came to Gruenwald et al much later but I must say his arc of the “Captain” was outstanding, right in line with Englehart’s Secret Empire. And Waid’s work is always a must.

I find Steve Rogers as an immigrant living during the Depression raised by his mother incredibly satisfying. Whereas Kirby’s gladhanding his ancestors as revolutionary war combatants felt too contrived. I wish Remender had avoided the abusive alcoholic father story for something else, perhaps a union organizer who is victim to corporate union busting shenanigans. But that’s me.
    Absolutely agree with you there. Like I said, my reasonings for liking Madbomb were more political/story than character driven. But, like you, I completely prefer to think of Steve as a first generation American born of Irish immigrants, just as both Remender and DeMatteis stated he is.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Correct, capandkirby. All that anguish produced so much drama that I simply couldn't get enough of it.
    Same! God I miss Gruenwald. His Steve was probably the most relatable of all the incarnations of the character, with Waid's right on par with him. What I am enjoying about Coates' run is that he is doing a good job of blending Gruenwald's Steve with Brubaker's. But yeah, Gruenwald's Steve was warm and his doubts relatable/understandable/empathetic. It's far past time for a reread, I could use a bit of Gruenwald's Steve right now with everything going on in the world.

Mighty Member

Captain America vs The Beast in Infinity Crusade if I am not mistaken:

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Moreover, as someone who used to work in the biotech industry, how the heck is volunteering for experimental drugs "selfish"?! I worked on the data analyst/monitoring side of clinical trials. I worked on this one study for a pain medication during dental surgery. Some of the recipients were given freakin placebos (in the form of acetaminophen).
    It's not selfish in cap's case, but sometime I feel it can be exploitative in terms of them giving money in exchange. Not that they shouldn't but some people take the risk for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    It's not selfish in cap's case, but sometime I feel it can be exploitative in terms of them giving money in exchange. Not that they shouldn't but some people take the risk for that.
    Some clinical trials do pay people for their time, some don’t. In all cases people are carefully vetted and made aware, if they are in a blind study, that a placebo is possible. And some studies don’t use placebos at all. Not the really important ones. Some trials people join because it’s the right thing to do or it gives them hope. I also worked (to be clear I’m not a doctor or lab worker, I work, as I said before, in data analysis) on one of the drugs that sends HIV into remission so that it doesn’t become AIDS (this was twenty years ago). The people who joined that study were desperate and afraid and the promise of this drug gave them hope. And where would the world be without these brave volunteers? I don’t want to imagine it. The over 700,000 people we lost to that horrible virus was 700,000 people too many.

The people who recently volunteered to try the still developing COVID vaccine? Heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I saw the article on my Flipboard app on my phone. After reading it I just rolled my eyes. To say it was hot garbage, would be an insult to hot garbage.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by tg1982 View Post
    I saw the article on my Flipboard app on my phone. After reading it I just rolled my eyes. To say it was hot garbage, would be an insult to hot garbage.
    Didn't even read it. Saw it on Twitter and like Mr Fabian Nicieza, promptly unfollowed CBR. Don't need that BS in my life

All-New Member

I found the article hugely offensive and I'm not from the USA. In fact I took time out of my day to email CBR and recommend that they issue a public apology in regards to it. Won't hold my breath though