Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Midnight View Post
    Captain America is awesome but I have to say that DC could use him especially with the Event Leviathan & the Joker War or 3 Jokers !
    I’m unfamiliar with the events you’re referring to but Cap (and Namor and the original Human Torch, Jim Hammond) were almost sold to DC at one point. In 1957. Atlas, the publishing company Marvel was using at the time went under. Couple that with the Comics Code of Authority driving the sales of comics down and Marvel was almost completely done for. So much so that they had exactly one employee left in the comics division, Stan Lee, having laid off everyone else. DC, who was in a stronger position, and sensing opportunity, made them an offer for the rights to Cap, Namor and Jim. Ultimately Martin Goodman turned them down though and thus Cap remained with Marvel.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Today’s release (issue #21) was excellent! I’ve missed the Cap book so much and it’s awesome to see it come back with a bang. Page turner from start to finish. Can’t wait for the next issue!
    I really enjoyed this issue. It was good. The line about American men marching themselves to slaughter hit different, especially since I'm sure it was written before the pandemic became what it was. I doubt we'll see Krakoa weigh in, but shouldn't they have massive issues with what Selene is doing? Also, it's pretty apparent that Steve is especially emotionally compromised on this mission, and it's interesting to see how that's influencing his actions.

Lastly, I am very glad Bob Q is on the art. Such an improvement.

I’m unfamiliar with the events you’re referring to but Cap (and Namor and the original Human Torch, Jim Hammond) were almost sold to DC at one point. In 1957. Atlas, the publishing company Marvel was using at the time went under. Couple that with the Comics Code of Authority driving the sales of comics down and Marvel was almost completely done for. So much so that they had exactly one employee left in the comics division, Stan Lee, having laid off everyone else. DC, who was in a stronger position, and sensing opportunity, made them an offer for the rights to Cap, Namor and Jim. Ultimately Martin Goodman turned them down though and thus Cap remained with Marvel.
    The irony here is that Cap (and Black Panther, Hawkeye, Dr. Strange and Shang-Chi) was the collateral that Merrill Lynch wanted in order to lend Marvel the money ($525 million dollars) to make the first Iron Man film. So Cap has come close to switching hands TWICE. If the first Iron Man film had failed, Cap (and some of his friends) would now be owned by Merrill Lynch.

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherclassic View Post
    I really enjoyed this issue. It was good. The line about American men marching themselves to slaughter hit different, especially since I'm sure it was written before the pandemic became what it was. I doubt we'll see Krakoa weigh in, but shouldn't they have massive issues with what Selene is doing? Also, it's pretty apparent that Steve is especially emotionally compromised on this mission, and it's interesting to see how that's influencing his actions.

Lastly, I am very glad Bob Q is on the art. Such an improvement.
    Yes, I agree, Steve is definitely emotionally compromised (bless him), made the whole thing even more heartbreaking for me. With Selene having a piece of Sharon’s soul, makes me wonder if Sharon can be controlled like the townspeople were in that fight? Which makes the stakes even more poignant considering both Steve’s and Sharon’s history. Ouch. Poor babies.

I have the same thoughts about Selene, so you’re alone. I would certainly hope they’d have an issue with what Selene is doing!!!

Bob Q is such a gem!

Something odd bothering me about the full frontal assault. For such an intriguing trio of heroes, I wouldn't expect to see Sam, Cap, and Buck charging into a situation together. I know, a small point in an otherwise welcomed issue, but Coates initially had the Winter Soldier at the onset of this series sniping the Nukes from above. I could see Cap crushing it here in a full frontal assault of Selene's hq, Buck in the shadows waiting the right moment, and Sam flying recon or maybe joining Cap.

Bob Quinn is an improvement but still sad we got so little of Yu.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by tliscord View Post
    Something odd bothering me about the full frontal assault. For such an intriguing trio of heroes, I wouldn't expect to see Sam, Cap, and Buck charging into a situation together. I know, a small point in an otherwise welcomed issue, but Coates initially had the Winter Soldier at the onset of this series sniping the Nukes from above. I could see Cap crushing it here in a full frontal assault of Selene's hq, Buck in the shadows waiting the right moment, and Sam flying recon or maybe joining Cap.
    That's definitely a fair point. I think I was able to write off the frontal assault as Steve's decision-making capabilities being compromised and not making the best plan. Pretty early in the issue he outright told Sharon that she was more important than the rest of the mission. He wanted in there and to get the necklace, and that was that. I noticed how he was the one making a bee-line for Selene/reaching her necklace. Should Bucky and Sam have maybe pushed back on that? Probably.

I am enjoying this run so far, however I just noticed something (i dont know if it was already covered/explained here)

I know Ross "death" was a red-herring all along, but it quite contradicts an important plot-point of Absolute Carnage, in which Cletus exhumed every single Symbiote-host grave, and Ross' body was mentioned as one of those found out
    Is there any explanation for that? or I got that wrong?

(Sorry for broken english btw)

Thanks for the history lesson, capandkirby. Where would Marvel Comics be without the Invaders?!?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaker1610 View Post
    I am enjoying this run so far, however I just noticed something (i dont know if it was already covered/explained here)

I know Ross "death" was a red-herring all along, but it quite contradicts an important plot-point of Absolute Carnage, in which Cletus exhumed every single Symbiote-host grave, and Ross' body was mentioned as one of those found out
    Is there any explanation for that? or I got that wrong?

(Sorry for broken english btw)
    To the best of my knowledge (I read both Cap and Immortal Hulk, but I’m a tiny bit behind on Hulk) we’re still waiting on an explanation on how Ross came back, with, apparently (re: the preview of the Cap #26 cover) Red Hulk intact. I’m pretty sure this is going to be the main theme of the next arc in the Cap book, because by all accounts issue #25 of Cap is going to wrap up the Power Elite arc. Makes me wonder if Cap and Hulk will tie-in together and if Ewing and Coates are working together. Anyone else have any further insight on the Ross situation?

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Thanks for the history lesson, capandkirby. Where would Marvel Comics be without the Invaders?!?

No problem and I agree, the Invaders are hands down my favorite team, and I can’t imagine Marvel without them.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Now that a Defenders Omni is forthcoming my hopes for an Invaders Omni have gone up.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Priest is writing a U.S.Agent mini!
    https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/ma...but-this-fall/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    So glad to see Priest back!!!

LOL’d at this...

“I was thrilled to be invited back to Captain America until I realized it was this guy, Cap’s scowling, emotionally damaged misfit cousin. Cousin America.”

Mr. Priest, for the record, I’d personally love to see you write Cap again. Meanwhile gonna go subscribe to this.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Here's the weird thing. I don't love US Agent as a character. But I recently started reading Gruenwald's run and I love Super Patriot and replacement Captain America a lot. It's just a shame the character got really boring after that. I'm hoping Priest will bring something interesting to the character.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Here's the weird thing. I don't love US Agent as a character. But I recently started reading Gruenwald's run and I love Super Patriot and replacement Captain America a lot. It's just a shame the character got really boring after that. I'm hoping Priest will bring something interesting to the character.
    I say this constantly......Walker has some serious character development moments...but then someone comes along and just defaults to annoying jack ass and buffoon with no respect to the previous development.

To me...at least...Walker at this point should be portrayed something like Gibbs from NCIS and Sam Gerard from The Fugitive and U.S. Marshals.