Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Priest is writing a U.S.Agent mini!
    https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/ma...but-this-fall/
    Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    So glad to see Priest back!!!

LOL’d at this...

“I was thrilled to be invited back to Captain America until I realized it was this guy, Cap’s scowling, emotionally damaged misfit cousin. Cousin America.”

Mr. Priest, for the record, I’d personally love to see you write Cap again. Meanwhile gonna go subscribe to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Here's the weird thing. I don't love US Agent as a character. But I recently started reading Gruenwald's run and I love Super Patriot and replacement Captain America a lot. It's just a shame the character got really boring after that. I'm hoping Priest will bring something interesting to the character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I say this constantly......Walker has some serious character development moments...but then someone comes along and just defaults to annoying jack ass and buffoon with no respect to the previous development.

To me...at least...Walker at this point should be portrayed something like Gibbs from NCIS and Sam Gerard from The Fugitive and U.S. Marshals.
    Speaking of character development, I wonder where Christopher Priest is going to go with the increasingly disillusioned John Walker we were left with at the end of his last appearance in Captain America.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Speaking of character development, I wonder where Christopher Priest is going to go with the increasingly disillusioned John Walker we were left with at the end of his last appearance in Captain America.
    Was not a fan of that whole implying he was going to be behind Scourge stuff.

So glad to see Priest back!!!

LOL’d at this...

“I was thrilled to be invited back to Captain America until I realized it was this guy, Cap’s scowling, emotionally damaged misfit cousin. Cousin America.”

Mr. Priest, for the record, I’d personally love to see you write Cap again. Meanwhile gonna go subscribe to this.
    I wonder if Priest would even bring back Anti-Cap as a foil. I don't think the two of them have ever met. They could have some provocative conversations. Though the timeline for Anti-Cap's motivations might have to be moved up. Initially he was recruited shortly after the Oklahoma City bombing..

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I say this constantly......Walker has some serious character development moments...but then someone comes along and just defaults to annoying jack ass and buffoon with no respect to the previous development.

To me...at least...Walker at this point should be portrayed something like Gibbs from NCIS and Sam Gerard from The Fugitive and U.S. Marshals.
    Do you have specific issues you're thinking of that were good for US Agent?
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Astonishing Member

Here's the weird thing. I don't love US Agent as a character. But I recently started reading Gruenwald's run and I love Super Patriot and replacement Captain America a lot. It's just a shame the character got really boring after that. I'm hoping Priest will bring something interesting to the character.
    It's as if they had to tank his character as though people were scared that he'd replace Steve again.

I can understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I wonder if Priest would even bring back Anti-Cap as a foil. I don't think the two of them have ever met. They could have some provocative conversations. Though the timeline for Anti-Cap's motivations might have to be moved up. Initially he was recruited shortly after the Oklahoma City bombing..
    Hmm, Anti-Cap would be interesting to see again.

Extraordinary Member

Do you have specific issues you're thinking of that were good for US Agent?
    There was a Marvel Comics Presents arc that took place after Omega Flight, his time as warden of the Raft into Dark Avengers, most recently in 2020 Force Works and his appearance in Hawkeye: Freefall.

Yes he is portrayed as a hard ass...but also shown that he cares about his people. But like I said...writers will come along and just default him to the heel.

That is hey I feel editors need to keep a bit of a hands on approach so that character's development is not pushed aside for the sake of the story the writer wants to tell.

There was a Marvel Comics Presents arc that took place after Omega Flight, his time as warden of the Raft into Dark Avengers, most recently in 2020 Force Works and his appearance in Hawkeye: Freefall.

Yes he is portrayed as a hard ass...but also shown that he cares about his people. But like I said...writers will come along and just default him to the heel.

That is hey I feel editors need to keep a bit of a hands on approach so that character's development is not pushed aside for the sake of the story the writer wants to tell.
    Oh, yeah, I remember that arc. Was later collected in TPB as Weapon Omega, if I'm not mistaken. That said, you do raise a good point.

Agree with you there. But hopefully that’s resolved here pretty quick. Erik Larsen said something interesting on Twitter awhile back, he indicated that Gruenwald invented Scourge to get rid of superfluous villains at the time. That Gruenwald felt there were too many redundancies. So in that Scourge was useful. I can’t think narratively what the use is of making Walker take up that mantle, now, unless it’s to go back to explore Gruenwald’s original reason for inventing Walker to begin with, Gruenwald stated in interviews that he created Walker to show the dark side of patriotism, so perhaps Coates is trying to do the same with him. And it’s pretty obvious that Coates has a healthy respect for Gruenwald’s Cap run (which I love). I mean, Walker isn’t the first this happened to, Jack Monroe was also ‘Scourge’ at one point, too (though not of his own will). I have a feeling, though, that it probably has more to do with the fact they’re using the Captain America No More arc for Falcon and the Winter Soldier so placing Walker back at square one in the comics is a segue.

Speaking of, wonder if they’ll ever bring Jack back. Would make a great Bucky centric story to do so.

That would definitely make for an interesting story.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 08-09-2020 at 03:32 AM.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Priest is writing a U.S.Agent mini!
    https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/ma...but-this-fall/
    I've always liked John Walker as both USAgent and Captain America. I especially liked the idea when both he and Steve were Cap where Walker was Cap on Invaders and Steve was Cap anywhere else.
    In hindsight it laid the ground work for SamCap and SteveCap to be in action at the same time.

Knowing it's a 5ish mini means I'll wait for the trade but looking forward to it all the same.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Just posted this on Twitter, thought everyone here would like it. It’s from the letter section of Captain America #246, written by the wonderful Roger Stern, on where Steve falls in the political spectrum (re: New Deal Democrat)...

This was also just posted on Twitter (by someone else, not be me) and it’s so precious I had to post it here...

This was also just posted on Twitter (by someone else, not be me) and it’s so precious I had to post it here...

If I had to retro-explain this, I guess that Reed Richards, Stark and T'Challa came up with a way of giving heroes miniature devices that allowed them to temporarily reach into a pocket dimension where a whole bunch of hostess desserts were in permanent storage. (or perhaps the tech was a gift from eccentric but friendly aliens). If you think about how spaceknight Rom (and others) had the power to access his ray gun from "hyperspace", it's a similar gimmick.

If I had to retro-explain this, I guess that Reed Richards, Stark and T'Challa came up with a way of giving heroes miniature devices that allowed them to temporarily reach into a pocket dimension where a whole bunch of hostess desserts were in permanent storage. (or perhaps the tech was a gift from eccentric but friendly aliens). If you think about how spaceknight Rom (and others) had the power to access his ray gun from "hyperspace", it's a similar gimmick.
    Lol, love it! Winning by pie. Maybe some of the Marvel villains aren’t truly evil, they’re just hangry!

Astonishing Member

Is the Anti-Cap not still dead? He committed suicide to avoid capture at the end of Priest's CAPTAIN AMERICA & FALCON series. Not that death is an insurmountable obstacle in the Marvel Universe, but he doesn't seem like a natural candidate for resurrection.