Page 14 of 43 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Storm17 View Post
    If they are starting the title over again, I wonder who will be writing it. Will they stick with Coates or go with someone else?
    I would be pleased with Chip Zdarsky, myself.

If they are starting the title over again, I wonder who will be writing it. Will they stick with Coates or go with someone else?
    I'm not sure what they're going to do, it's possible Coates stays on, he did with Panther's relaunch. But if he decides he doesn't want to remain, I know a writer who would like to do it...

And I, personally, would love this. I'm currently reading his Miles run, which is good, and his Black Bolt run was also incredible. Moreover, he writes an amazing Steve. Each of those cameos have been stellar.

Fantastic Member

It probably would never happen, but I think it could be cool to have someone like Kelly Thompson writing Captain America. It would be interesting to have a woman writing him.

BANNED

I liked Coates' run a lot early on but it's stalled out over the course of this current arc. The lackluster art it's been saddled with lately hasn't helped.

If it relaunched with Coates, I'd have mixed feelings about it. I'd hope that they'd pair him with a solid artist again and that Steve would be fully back as Cap and there'd be more drive to the book and less meandering.

In other words, I'd give him a chance but be feeling pretty leery about the prospects of him delivering. I'd much rather someone else be handed the book at this point.

Who, I don't know, but a change of any kind would be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherclassic View Post
    It probably would never happen, but I think it could be cool to have someone like Kelly Thompson writing Captain America. It would be interesting to have a woman writing him.
    I would love that, too. Kelly Thompson wrote an excellent Steve in the last Captain Marvel issue. Though with Captain Marvel, Jessica Jones and the upcoming Black Widow book, she might not have the bandwidth for it. Tini Howard is another great choice of female writers to tackle Cap. She wrote the Cap annual a couple years back and it was really good.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    I would love that, too. Kelly Thompson wrote an excellent Steve in the last Captain Marvel issue. Though with Captain Marvel, Jessica Jones and the upcoming Black Widow book, she might not have the bandwidth for it. Tini Howard is another great choice of female writers to tackle Cap. She wrote the Cap annual a couple years back and it was really good.

That's a good scene. To be honest, Tini Howard hasn't been impressing me a lot with Excalibur, which has been my only real exposure to her, but she might not have the same issues that she does there.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by justanotherclassic View Post
    That's a good scene. To be honest, Tini Howard hasn't been impressing me a lot with Excalibur, which has been my only real exposure to her, but she might not have the same issues that she does there.
    While a good scene written for today....back at the time it was set in the 1940s a gay man would have faced nearly as much hatred in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    While a good scene written for today....back at the time it was set in the 1940s a gay man would have faced nearly as much hatred in the U.S.
    True, America was extremely homophobic in the 40's. But not Steve Rogers, who's childhood best friend, Arnie Roth, was gay (and, in fact, one of Marvel's first gay characters and the fact that the Arnie Roth Captain America arc was published in 1982, at the height of the AIDS crises when homophobia was at an all time high, and you had Steve Rogers, ON PANEL, calling homophobes the pariahs of society, was a pretty poignant and defining moment in Cap history). I mean, would this scene be out of place for anyone else from the 1940's, sure, but not Steve. Besides Simon and Kirby did not invent Steve to be a realistic depiction of life in the 1940's, he was modeled after the Golem of Prague (everything from the star on his chest to the A on his helmet to receiving the super soldier serum is symbolic of that origin), in other words he's meant to be a defender of the marginalized - a champion molded from 'magic' to defend those who were prosecuted. In that Tini Howard channeled Kirby and Simon's intent with Steve to a T.

True, America was extremely homophobic in the 40's. But not Steve Rogers, who's childhood best friend, Arnie Roth, was gay (and, in fact, one of Marvel's first gay characters and the fact that the Arnie Roth Captain America arc was published in 1982, at the height of the AIDS crises when homophobia was at an all time high, and you had Steve Rogers, ON PANEL, calling homophobes the pariahs of society, was a pretty poignant and defining moment in Cap history). I mean, would this scene be out of place for anyone else from the 1940's, sure, but not Steve. Besides Simon and Kirby did not invent Steve to be a realistic depiction of life in the 1940's, he was modeled after the Golem of Prague (everything from the star on his chest to the A on his helmet to receiving the super soldier serum is symbolic of that origin), in other words he's meant to be a defender of the marginalized - a champion molded from 'magic' to defend those who were prosecuted. In that Tini Howard channeled Kirby and Simon's intent with Steve to a T.
    For reference, here's an article/source on how Steve was modeled after the Golem of Prague for anyone interested...

https://blog.nli.org.il/en/captain_america/

Excerpt:

The analogy between Captain America and the Golem from Prague is clear when you look at the parallels. The Golem itself can be read as a precursor of superhero stories, a creature created for the protection of a community in peril.

Extraordinary Member

I understand all that....my point about it was that a it made it seem like if that guy got to America in the 1940s it would be all sunshine and lollipops for him....when in actuality it would have probably been just as bad.

Astonishing Member

I understand all that....my point about it was that a it made it seem like if that guy got to America in the 1940s it would be all sunshine and lollipops for him....when in actuality it would have probably been just as bad.
    Two main points to consider. Its true that there would be a lot of homophobia and potential problems for him in America if his sexuality were to be public knowledge. However, he wouldn't be rounded up for execution in death camps for it -- so it would still be an improvement.

The other thing is that he would hardly be the first person to come to America, looking for a better life, who had a rose-tinted view of what life would actually be like. There is often a difference between the dream of what life in America will be like, and the reality of the situation they find themselves in. I think Volka was probably suffering from a bit of that.

True enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Two main points to consider. Its true that there would be a lot of homophobia and potential problems for him in America if his sexuality were to be public knowledge. However, he wouldn't be rounded up for execution in death camps for it -- so it would still be an improvement.

The other thing is that he would hardly be the first person to come to America, looking for a better life, who had a rose-tinted view of what life would actually be like. There is often a difference between the dream of what life in America will be like, and the reality of the situation they find themselves in. I think Volka was probably suffering from a bit of that.
    Also an excellent point.

Steve in the Empyre #0 preview...

Source

All-New Member

I saw it as the guy knowing he has a high chance of being outed in Germany, as he is one a register. In America, there is no list with his name on it, and he can probably live in anonymity.

BANNED

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/02...fter-issue-25/

With Coates leaving BP, what are the odds that he's done with Cap after #25 too?

I'm crossing my fingers that he's out.

I wouldn't be enraged if he was still on Cap awhile longer (while I would have been outright done with BP if he stayed there) but I would be disappointed.

Coates' Cap has become a slog (much like BP). It's time to give the book a shot in the arm.