Page 17 of 43 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Still wondering what Selene's stake in all of this is. That one encounter with Cap shouldn't have been enough to make an impression, as fleeting and insignificant as it was in the grand scheme of both characters' history. She's not really the type to kowtow to the Lukins, either, as she said herself when Baron Von Strucker called her on it and she stated she had her own reasons for her involvement and she doesn't answer to anybody. She's ancient, she's immortal, she's way more powerful than most, and she's watched massive empires come and go, America as a country should not mean anything to her (nor should it's potential downfall). Hopefully this new issue will answer that. Her involvement in this book has always seemed just really weird to me. Not that I'm begrudging it, I definitely think she's an intriguing element/antagonist and I'm glad she's in the book. She's an interesting character. I just really don't get why she would involve herself in stuff that should seem so minor league to her. And as much as I love Steve, he's my favorite, he's not the most powerful of morsels. If she wants a good meal, wouldn't someone like the Hulk or you know, practically anyone, be a better bet?

Don't get it. But I'm sure there's a reason, a good one, and I hope it lives up to what I've been imagining.
    What I'm wondering, with Cap and his team defeat Selene and want her to pay for her crimes, watch the mutants of Krakoa pull some strings and say that its their responsibility to punish her and they further antagonize Cap and his team.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    What I'm wondering, with Cap and his team defeat Selene and want her to pay for her crimes, watch the mutants of Krakoa pull some strings and say that its their responsibility to punish her and they further antagonize Cap and his team.
    Not sure that's going to be an issue? Mostly because the Cap book takes place in the past. All of Steve's narrative bubbles have been written in past tense, like he's referring to events that have already happened.

This is what I mean...

Last edited by capandkirby; 03-17-2020 at 02:07 PM.

Read today's Cap. spoilers:
    Always awesome to see Nat. Steve and Sam were precious, great to see them working together again. I miss their dynamic a lot.

Pretty powerful message contained in here on how a certain segment of the American population is getting duped/manipulated into wanting 'returning to the old ways'. Tip of the hat to you, Mr. Coates.

Loved Steve's facial expressions, didn't even need text to see what he was thinking. Also, re: that first image, Steve Rogers is a sweetheart...
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    If Selene's entire motivation for her involvement is just food I'm going to be a bit disappointed.

But here's the major question of the hour: at the beginning of the Hulk book, Ross was in hell, which confirmed his death, so kinda wondering how he's been investigating the Watchdogs all this time, indicating he's been alive all this time, AND making guest appearances in hell.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    Last edited by capandkirby; 03-18-2020 at 10:07 AM.

Still wondering what Selene's stake in all of this is. That one encounter with Cap shouldn't have been enough to make an impression, as fleeting and insignificant as it was in the grand scheme of both characters' history. She's not really the type to kowtow to the Lukins, either, as she said herself when Baron Von Strucker called her on it and she stated she had her own reasons for her involvement and she doesn't answer to anybody. She's ancient, she's immortal, she's way more powerful than most, and she's watched massive empires come and go, America as a country should not mean anything to her (nor should it's potential downfall). Hopefully this new issue will answer that. Her involvement in this book has always seemed just really weird to me. Not that I'm begrudging it, I definitely think she's an intriguing element/antagonist and I'm glad she's in the book. She's an interesting character. I just really don't get why she would involve herself in stuff that should seem so minor league to her. And as much as I love Steve, he's my favorite, he's not the most powerful of morsels. If she wants a good meal, wouldn't someone like the Hulk or you know, practically anyone, be a better bet?

Don't get it. But I'm sure there's a reason, a good one, and I hope it lives up to what I've been imagining.
    Maybe it has something to do with the SSS. Cap's blood/essence/life-force etc. has to be pretty strong. If Selene could absorb that she could become even more powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    That would be interesting. Like capandkirby said, it depends on when this all takes place.

A bigger question would be why aren't the X-Men keeping tabs on this mutant villains so stuff like this doesn't happen. If they want to be the mutant police, they're gonna need to be more proactive.

Steve will have an Infinite Destinies issue:

Summary:

"The Infinity Stones have found new homes — as people!” Jed MacKay said. "INFINITE DESTINIES is the next chapter in the story of the Infinity Stones and the people they've bonded with — and the powers in the Marvel Universe who are taking interest in these powerful new players."

Writer Gerry Duggan (Marauders, Cable) and artist Marco Castiello (Doom 2099) will then turn the focus on the fugitive known as Overtime in CAPTAIN AMERICA ANNUAL #1. After breaking out of death row when the Time Stone chose to bond with his soul, Overtime was gifted powers he barely understood. Now, thanks to Captain America... his time is up.
    Source

I don't trust X-Men writers, or the X-office in general, with Steve, but, we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Maybe it has something to do with the SSS. Cap's blood/essence/life-force etc. has to be pretty strong. If Selene could absorb that she could become even more powerful.
    Could be, that is a thought! Maybe she sensed something about it during that brief encounter during Gru's run. Though, while it could easily be misleading, today's issue made it sound like her involvement here had more to do with finding a consistent food source in the regular, human, men she had recruiting for her pyramid scheme (didn't she once try to eat a group of X-Men for their power? Why she'd want to sustain herself on regular humans baffles me). I like your idea better, at least there would be a more plausible motive there.

BANNED

Really dug today's issue. After the last arc kind of - for me - dragged on and petered out, this start of a new arc renewed my faith in this title.

One thing that's been consistently strong with Coates' run has been his characterizations and that's still the case here.

What's better is that the pace has picked up, the new storyline is more intriguing with a strong social subtext and the last page surprise is a genuine hook.

Tom Brevoort recently responded to a question on Twitter about whether Coates was wrapping up his run by saying that Coates' run is presently open-ended.

I'm fine with that if the book continues to be like today's issue. The one thing they have to fix is the art. It's been sub-par for too long. Time to get someone top-tier on this title again.

BANNED

By the way, a new Cap Epic Collection is on the way later this year.

It's Epic Collection 10, Monsters and Men, collecting Captain America #267–285, Annual #6 and Defenders #106, coming October 2020.

It includes the start of the DeMatteis/Zeck run so I'm pumped.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Really dug today's issue. After the last arc kind of - for me - dragged on and petered out, this start of a new arc renewed my faith in this title.

One thing that's been consistently strong with Coates' run has been his characterizations and that's still the case here.

What's better is that the pace has picked up, the new storyline is more intriguing with a strong social subtext and the last page surprise is a genuine hook.

Tom Brevoort recently responded to a question on Twitter about whether Coates was wrapping up his run by saying that Coates' run is presently open-ended.

I'm fine with that if the book continues to be like today's issue. The one thing they have to fix is the art. It's been sub-par for too long. Time to get someone top-tier on this title again.
    I'm good with Coates staying. I feel he has a pretty cool grasp on Steve. I know a lot of Panther fans, here, are seemingly glad he's vacating that title, but as a Cap fan I feel he's done good by us. I will admit I enjoyed the first couple arcs more than the recent stuff, but to me it wasn't an issue of pace, as much as it was... choppiness. It felt a bit disjointed, like a lot of revision had taken place and you could tell they had, and we so know that two whole issues were dropped from the solicits, which was weird, but characterization-wise, it's been good. There are a few things I didn't care for (re: Peggy... I had been hoping Dryad was Rachel, or Nat, or someone a bit more relevant to Steve's more recent history) but that's a small thing overall. Like you I enjoyed today's issue. It's great to see Cap!fam all working together again. And yeah, that reveal at the end was certainly something.

...As I pointed out above, under the spoiler tag, that reveal does contradict some content in the Immortal Hulk book, but I'm sure that will be addressed. If I'm not mistaken Brevoort is editor of both books? It might even be part of the plot and the two books are working together to reach some end goal regarding that character. Just have to wait, I guess.

Hulk was under Brevoort and the Avengers office when it launched but it then moved to Moss' office.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Hulk was under Brevoort and the Avengers office when it launched but it then moved to Moss' office.
    Oh, thanks for letting me know! I wonder if this was an editing/continuity mistake then, or if it was intentional and will be addressed at a later time.

BANNED

I'm good with Coates staying. I feel he has a pretty cool grasp on Steve. I know a lot of Panther fans, here, are seemingly glad he's vacating that title, but as a Cap fan I feel he's done good by us.
    I'm glad he's getting off BP but I'm cool for the most part with him staying on Cap.

I am worried that his Cap might fall into the same lethargic pace as his BP run but so far there's only been one dud arc.

We'll see where things go.

...As I pointed out above, under the spoiler tag, that reveal does contradict some content in the Immortal Hulk book, but I'm sure that will be addressed. If I'm not mistaken Brevoort is editor of both books? It might even be part of the plot and the two books are working together to reach some end goal regarding that character. Just have to wait, I guess.
    Yeah, hopefully everything fits together eventually.

I enjoyed today's issue quite a bit and yeah, I definitely agree about not being a big fan of the last arc. Hopefully, this arc remains strong and pushes the story forward. I tend to agree with fans as well about his characterization of Steve. I do like how he writes Steve for the most part but yeah, the pacing can be a bit too slow at times. But I have faith in Coates if he is indeed staying on the book. I also really enjoyed Bob Q's art on this issue. I wasn't crazy about Masters' artwork in the previous arc so I'm happy to see Quinn is doing a few issues now.

Steve will have an Infinite Destinies issue:

Summary:

Source

I don't trust X-Men writers, or the X-office in general, with Steve, but, we'll see.
    Is this a new character? Or has he appeared somewhere before?