Page 16 of 43 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Captain America preview for issue #20 has been released. Looks like Selene is back. Interesting...

Source

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Captain America preview for issue #20 has been released. Looks like Selene is back. Interesting...

Source
    Finally, and yes, very interesting. Allegory for the abuses of organized religion in contemporary American society, maybe?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Finally, and yes, very interesting. Allegory for the abuses of organized religion in contemporary American society, maybe?
    That was my thought as well. And honestly, it's an awesome idea. Can't wait to see it.

That was my thought as well. And honestly, it's an awesome idea. Can't wait to see it.
    Neither can I. Also looking forward to the Civil War Snapshot, even if I'm a bit too late for the discussion. I do like Saladin Ahmed's thoughts and ideas on that.

Neither can I. Also looking forward to the Civil War Snapshot, even if I'm a bit too late for the discussion. I do like Saladin Ahmed's thoughts and ideas on that.
    Me too! I actually worried a bit when I heard the original announcement and saw Hill on the cover that it was going to be a story that tried to redeem her (which, again, I don't see how, she was pretty far gone in Civil War, perhaps even worse than Stark because at least he expressed doubt and anxiety over what they were doing, but it wouldn't have surprised me if they tried). But then when I found out Ahmed was writing it I got excited. Moreso when I read his own description. I have a feeling I know what he's doing, or rather, what allegory he's going for with it and wow, needed and necessary. It's great. More than that I trust him. I know I've said it before but I really would love to see him on Cap one day, and the fact that he himself wants to makes me want it even more. It's always nice when a writer actually enjoys the character they're writing.

Me too! I actually worried a bit when I heard the original announcement and saw Hill on the cover that it was going to be a story that tried to redeem her (which, again, I don't see how, she was pretty far gone in Civil War, perhaps even worse than Stark because at least he expressed doubt and anxiety over what they were doing, but it wouldn't have surprised me if they tried). But then when I found out Ahmed was writing it I got excited. Moreso when I read his own description. I have a feeling I know what he's doing, or rather, what allegory he's going for with it and wow, needed and necessary. It's great. More than that I trust him. I know I've said it before but I really would love to see him on Cap one day, and the fact that he himself wants to makes me want it even more. It's always nice when a writer actually enjoys the character they're writing.
    Agreed on both Ahmed and Maria Hill. On the latter, her actions in Civil War were bad enough, but the subsequent stories after Dark Reign was over like Secret Avengers and later Captain America (both by Nick Spencer) made it clear she'd learned nothing and (possibly) gotten worse. Going back to Ahmed, what I'm anticipating is that his Civil War Snapshot puts the nail in the proverbial coffin for the idea that the pro-registration side --- given all the civil, constitutional, and/or human rights violations committed by its adherents --- was anywhere in the vicinity of right.

Agreed on both Ahmed and Maria Hill. On the latter, her actions in Civil War were bad enough, but the subsequent stories after Dark Reign was over like Secret Avengers and later Captain America (both by Nick Spencer) made it clear she'd learned nothing and (possibly) gotten worse. Going back to Ahmed, what I'm anticipating is that his Civil War Snapshot puts the nail in the proverbial coffin for the idea that the pro-registration side --- given all the civil, constitutional, and/or human rights violations committed by its adherents --- was anywhere in the vicinity of right.
    Yes, I've had that thought as well. Perfect author for that, too. And I'm definitely here for it. Good lord it's been a long time coming. And now that America is many, many years under the Patriot Act, there will be additional layers to it. Experiences and consequences we hadn't seen play-out yet when the event was first released, like, for example, how horrifically 'security' has been weaponized. Back then it had seemed a little far fetched that people would be hoarded up and sent to a place like the Negative Zone for not having the proper documentation. Kind of disturbing that Millar actually turned out to be a little prophetic. Can't wait to see Ahmed's perspective on it.

Yes, I've had that thought as well. Perfect author for that, too. And I'm definitely here for it. Good lord it's been a long time coming. And now that America is many, many years under the Patriot Act, there will be additional layers to it. Experiences and consequences we hadn't seen play-out yet when the event was first released, like, for example, how horrifically 'security' has been weaponized. Back then it had seemed a little far fetched that people would be hoarded up and sent to a place like the Negative Zone for not having the proper documentation. Kind of disturbing that Millar actually turned out to be a little prophetic. Can't wait to see Ahmed's perspective on it.
    Having checked out Millar's other work, for Marvel and elsewhere, he's prophetic in the sense that he doesn't seem to put much stock in the innate goodness of humanity, so it's harder to be surprised or not see it coming when humans inevitably abuse something trotted out with "good intentions" for self-serving profit and power. That said, Ahmed's take on the whole thing would be a most welcome addition.

Astonishing Member

Marvel announced yesterday that, as part of the Marvel Snap-shots, they are going to publish a Civil War era story featuring Steve, Giant Man (I was reminded yesterday when discussing this upcoming book on Twitter that Skrull!Hank Pym was Yellow Jacket at the time so this might be Bill Foster?)
    Yeah, the Giant-Man thing jumped out at me the first time I saw that solicit because there wasn't a Giant-Man at the time of CIVIL WAR. Bill Foster was prominent in the CIVIL WAR storyline (up until his death), but he was Goliath at the time. Hank Pym was Yellowjacket. The current Giant-Man (Raz Maholtra) did not have his powers yet at that point.

It could be a mistake in the solicit -- maybe its referring to Bill Foster and they used the wrong code name. That seems the most likely option. Hypothetically it could also be a story of Raz Maholtra in his pre-superhero days.

interesting. hopefully there will be an investigation into the disappearing people in this small town. Is Steve resistant to Selene's charm ability?

Astonishing Member

Having checked out Millar's other work, for Marvel and elsewhere, he's prophetic in the sense that he doesn't seem to put much stock in the innate goodness of humanity, so it's harder to be surprised or not see it coming when humans inevitably abuse something trotted out with "good intentions" for self-serving profit and power. That said, Ahmed's take on the whole thing would be a most welcome addition.
    Millar's not being prophetic, he's going for the lowest common denominator for easy money. He can do the opposite, like in Superman Adventures, but it was only this that he rose to the heights of the media.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Millar's not being prophetic, he's going for the lowest common denominator for easy money. He can do the opposite, like in Superman Adventures, but it was only this that he rose to the heights of the media.
    Yeah, that's a good point, too. Sadly, cynicism --- dressed up as "realism" --- gets a lot more play in the media than idealism. It's why there are people who find Captain America "hokey" or why the executives at AT&T/Warner have such a hard time "marketing Superman to modern audiences" in comparison to yet another Batman reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Is Steve resistant to Selene's charm ability?
    IIRC, Captain America #369 reveals that Selene almost had Cap under her spell, if not for Diamondback's timely intervention.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    IIRC, Captain America #369 reveals that Selene almost had Cap under her spell, if not for Diamondback's timely intervention.
    I just reread that. Pretty sure that Selene was going to siphon him dry, rather than enthrall him.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I just reread that. Pretty sure that Selene was going to siphon him dry, rather than enthrall him.
    Still wondering what Selene's stake in all of this is. That one encounter with Cap shouldn't have been enough to make an impression, as fleeting and insignificant as it was in the grand scheme of both characters' history. She's not really the type to kowtow to the Lukins, either, as she said herself when Baron Von Strucker called her on it and she stated she had her own reasons for her involvement and she doesn't answer to anybody. She's ancient, she's immortal, she's way more powerful than most, and she's watched massive empires come and go, America as a country should not mean anything to her (nor should it's potential downfall). Hopefully this new issue will answer that. Her involvement in this book has always seemed just really weird to me. Not that I'm begrudging it, I definitely think she's an intriguing element/antagonist and I'm glad she's in the book. She's an interesting character. I just really don't get why she would involve herself in stuff that should seem so minor league to her. And as much as I love Steve, he's my favorite, he's not the most powerful of morsels. If she wants a good meal, wouldn't someone like the Hulk or you know, practically anyone, be a better bet?

Don't get it. But I'm sure there's a reason, a good one, and I hope it lives up to what I've been imagining.