Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Doctor Who has been homaging comic covers. The first two were both DC, but this time, they've gone with something TIMELY...
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    Yes. I saw the Bleeding Cool article and I’ve never seen such shoddy reporting in my life, absent of even a smidgen of objectivity. As such, I would like to implore all Cap fans to ban that site and refuse to give them clicks. This isn’t the first time they’ve devolved into character bashing Steve and frankly I’m sick of it. To the point I’m writing Marvel about it.
    Nothing like celebrating the Sentinel of Liberty than by organising boycotts of the press.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    Nothing like celebrating the Sentinel of Liberty than by organising boycotts of the press.
    If the unspoken assertion is "American Ideals..." -

The press is free from the government taking issue with them.

It is not free from a citizen taking issue with the way they do things.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    If the unspoken assertion is "American Ideals..." -

The press is free from the government taking issue with them.

It is not free from a citizen taking issue with the way they do things.
    Exactly. Thank you.

And, Mr. Johnson, just calling out the unfair bias as I see it. This is far from the first time your website has character bashed this particular character, and yet, so many other characters, who are written as committing some pretty heinous atrocities, get a complete free pass. How weird. One might come to the conclusion that your website has an agenda. Or at the very least a very obvious cognitive bias.

Eric Larsen posted splashes from his upcoming Captain America: The End via Twitter...

Looks pretty cool.

Eric Larsen posted splashes from his upcoming Captain America: The End via Twitter...

Looks pretty cool.
    I see some Kirby-influence in these pencils.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Same! Isn't it great?

(1/2) Made a thread on Twitter so I'd thought I'd do a shorter version of it here.

Three US presidents Steve rebelled against:

Nixon:

Reagan:

Bush:

To be continued...

2/2 And the one he got along with...

Obama:

Mighty Member

I imagine Cap would tell the news media everything about what happened in the White House in '74, but it was suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheday View Post
    I imagine Cap would tell the news media everything about what happened in the White House in '74, but it was suppressed.
    Cap tried to tell the press about the human rights atrocities that were happening in the name of the pro-registration side enforcing the SHRA once, but he was completely blown off because of reporter bias/not knowing what MySpace™ was (ah, the irony there)/ageism. And, in fact, in his current run, wherein he is being framed for a murder he did not commit and is on the run, the Marvel Universe equivalent of Fox News is spreading lies to the public to smear his reputation further, my point here being that we're shown quite clearly, on panel, that the news is on the payroll of the Power Elite/Russia/The Enemy/Red Skull/The Lukins/Fisk and in fact has ulterior motives.

Ah for the days when reporting at least tried to be objective. What was that line from Hearst/Kane in Citizen Kane? The one that pretty much birthed Yellow Journalism. Ah, that's right:

Bernstein:
    "Girls delightful in Cuba. Stop. Could send you prose poems about scenery, but don't feel right spending your money. Stop. There is no war in Cuba, signed Wheeler." Any answer?

Charles Foster Kane:
    Yes. "Dear Wheeler: you provide the prose poems. I'll provide the war."
    Wag the Dog anyone?

Fun fact: I actually took journalism in college (for all that I actually majored in STEM major), and I was taught that to write an editorial - basic editorial writing 101, if you will - you had to at least position the opposing argument within the content of your supporting evidence in order to refute it. Don't see a lot of that these days, do we (because writers are seemingly way more interested in cherry picking, which is a fallacy of logic). And if you're reporting on a preview for a comic, something that should be just plain reporting, and NOT an editorial (reviews should be reserved for when the comic actually comes out and the thing can be read in full instead of cherry picking arguments based on a few pages and thus out of context), smearing a character is even MORE uncalled for. With great power (free press), comes great responsibility.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 01-07-2020 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Looks pretty cool.
    Agreed. Can't wait for this to be released.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 01-07-2020 at 08:56 PM.

(1/2) Made a thread on Twitter so I'd thought I'd do a shorter version of it here.

Three US presidents Steve rebelled against:

Nixon:

Reagan:

Bush:

To be continued...
    Since you mentioned making a thread on Twitter, I would like to know if President Clinton from the Mark Waid 90's run on Captain America was included.

Or does Clinton not count?

Just interested, since I don't have Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Since you mentioned making a thread on Twitter, I would like to know if President Clinton from the Mark Waid 90's run on Captain America was included.

Or does Clinton not count?

Just interested, since I don't have Twitter.
    I thought of Clinton (god I love Waid on Cap, all of his Cap series) but it didn't fit the 3 + 1 narrative I was going for, since Clinton started out the arc kicking Steve out of the country for the crime he didn't commit (just dawned on me that poor Steve gets framed a lot, doesn't he?) and ended with Clinton apologizing and asking to play with the shield once all was cleared up, so Cap never openly rebelled against Clinton other than trying to clear his name, but Clinton didn't make Cap a part of his cabinet either, the way Obama did. Still a neat story though, it's a good one! I might just make a thread covering it, since that first Waid series is often overlooked. I'll never figure out why they disrupted Waid's tenure on Cap between that first series and Cap vol. 3 with that Liefeld/Loeb run (which I try to pretend doesn't exist).

How CBR covered the Deadpool issue...

Excerpt:

Deadpool's relationship with Cap isn't particularly contentious, despite the tense exchange in this issue. Wade has been known to get under his skin, but he does that with pretty much every hero and villain he meets. For his part, Captain America treats Deadpool with respect. In fact, Cap was even the best man at Deadpool's wedding.
    https://www.cbr.com/deadpool-captain...ampaign=CBR-TW

Look at that. They did it WITHOUT character bashing. They were respectful of both characters. Who knew articles could be written this way (and thus this well)?! Wouldn't know it by Bleeding Cool. Good job, CBR, that's why I, as a Cap fan, would recommend you over other sites.