Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

And lastly, he believes those in power should use their privilege to fight for the marginalized.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Thanks for sharing all these pics and pages and panels. Great reminder of where Steve Rogers stands (and where all of good conscience and integrity should stand, if I may be so bold again).
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Thanks for sharing all these pics and pages and panels. Great reminder of where Steve Rogers stands (and where all of good conscience and integrity should stand, if I may be so bold again).
    No problem, happy to do it. I created the thread in response to someone going after one of the creators (again) by trying to claim that comics shouldn’t be political. In this particular collection of panels there’s at least one panel from each decade for the past 5 decades. I wanted to drill in the point that comics have always carried that aspect. It was fun putting the thread together. And yes, again I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    No problem, happy to do it. I created the thread in response to someone going after one of the creators (again) by trying to claim that comics shouldn’t be political. In this particular collection of panels there’s at least one panel from each decade for the past 5 decades. I wanted to drill in the point that comics have always carried that aspect. It was fun putting the thread together. And yes, again I agree.
    Yeah, those people honestly piss me off, because when they say, "comics shouldn't be political," it's pretty much always in response to comics that promote things like not mere tolerance, but acceptance, respect, and even reverence for one another's common humanity and personhood regardless of how different they might be in terms of gender, race/ethnicity, nationality, class, religion, sexuality, physical and/or mental ability, etc., as if the underlying moral of "be decent to people, even the people who aren't just like you," is such a burdensome imposition on them and their worldview.

Boisterously Confused

Yeah, those people honestly piss me off, because when they say, "comics shouldn't be political," it's pretty much always in response to comics that promote things like not mere tolerance, but acceptance, respect, and even reverence for one another's common humanity and personhood regardless of how different they might be in terms of gender, race/ethnicity, nationality, class, religion, sexuality, physical and/or mental ability, etc., as if the underlying moral of "be decent to people, even the people who aren't just like you," is such a burdensome imposition on them and their worldview.
    Yeah, it's baked into their DNA. The first superhero comic, Action Comics #1 was led by a feature that was overtly political.

Exactly! It gets frustrating. As a Trekkie as well as a comic fan I get so annoyed with that crowd (because they seem to exist in droves within the Star Trek fandom too). How can someone miss the point of their chosen fandom so entirely? They’re a case in point of that one meme...

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Yeah, it's baked into their DNA. The first superhero comic, Action Comics #1 was led by a feature that was overtly political.
    I think a lot of people forget that before Jack Kirby created Cap, he was drawing political cartoons under the name Jack Curtiss. Too right it’s always been baked in!

Captain America Snapshot comes out tomorrow. According to the write-up it’s a revisit of the Madbomb story told from the POV of a kid in the Bronx. Sounds incredible. Anyway, here are the preview pages:

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    And let's not forget that in that first issue, Superman was fighting even wife-beaters, not to mention in subsequent issues he was willing to get rough with anyone he caught abusing their power over others, giving them a taste of what it was like to have someone stronger and more powerful treat them like nothing.

Exactly! It gets frustrating. As a Trekkie as well as a comic fan I get so annoyed with that crowd (because they seem to exist in droves within the Star Trek fandom too). How can someone miss the point of their chosen fandom so entirely? They’re a case in point of that one meme...

I think a lot of people forget that before Jack Kirby created Cap, he was drawing political cartoons under the name Jack Curtiss. Too right it’s always been baked in!

That meme works out very well, and the cartoon's message is sadly still very applicable to our times.

Today’s Marvel Snapshots Captain America was incredible. Powerful, poignant and completely relevant. And Steve’s speech at the end? Haven’t been that moved since his speech in Amazing Spider-Man #537. I got chills. A must read! Cannot recommend it enough!

Astonishing Member

Today’s Marvel Snapshots Captain America was incredible. Powerful, poignant and completely relevant. And Steve’s speech at the end? Haven’t been that moved since his speech in Amazing Spider-Man #537. I got chills. A must read! Cannot recommend it enough!
    Yeah I know, so good i glad they kept it taking place in the time it when the madbomb was published in 1970s NYC which make the story make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    Yeah I know, so good i glad they kept it taking place in the time it when the madbomb was published in 1970s NYC which make the story make sense.
    Me too! But even though it did take place in that setting I also found the overall message from it completely relevant to what’s going on in America currently. Very much so.

An excellent review of the Captain America Snapshot issue:

https://aiptcomics.com/2020/06/24/ma...shot-1-review/

Why Marvel Snapshots Captain America was so amazing, a thread:

“Poverty isn’t just being poor, it’s the knowledge that you’re missing out on life and the feeling that you’re to blame for it.”

“...in most neighborhoods the police came to keep the peace, here they came to keep the war.”

“We are shamed... not by our guilt but by our weakness.”

Marvel Snapshots Captain America, cont.

Steve’s speech at the end gave me chills. So good.

Marvel Snapshots Captain America, cont.

Steve’s speech at the end gave me chills. So good.
    Steve’s speech part 2: