Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThomBoleyn View Post
    I think she was always editorially pushed on him.

VERY RANDOM STORY: Way back in my NYC life, I was friends with one of CC's good friends and when the announcement came out about New Excalibur I was super excited and was downstairs smoking a cigarette on my lunch break and she came by on her way upstairs to the office and we talked for a minute. She saw my stack of comics and told me about her friendship with CC and then decided to call him so I could talk to him. I was handed the phone and I thanked him for all of his work on the X-Men and he asked who my favorite character was and I said "Dazzler" and that I was excited about New Excalibur.. I thought the line went dead and then he goes "...Oh.." and told me it was a pleasure speaking with me. It was awkward, to say the least.
    That’s hilarious.

At least you didn’t say Iceman.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomBoleyn View Post
    I think she was always editorially pushed on him.
    She was back in the 80s. Ive mentioned it on here before but Marvel editorial told Claremont and Simonson that they needed to add Dazzler and Boom Boom to their respective books. Simonson called dibs on Boom Boom and Claremont got stuck with Alison. In an alternate universe had he made a bid for Tabby first, Ali would have replaced Angel in X-Factor and been the 2nd X-woman there

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    She was back in the 80s. Ive mentioned it on here before but Marvel editorial told Claremont and Simonson that they needed to add Dazzler and Boom Boom to their respective books. Simonson called dibs on Boom Boom and Claremont got stuck with Alison. In an alternate universe had he made a bid for Tabby first, Ali would have replaced Angel in X-Factor and been the 2nd X-woman there
    So after the original idea of Dazzler being with the male O5 instead of Jean (who was still dead when originally developed) -- when Jean was resurrected they were considering adding Dazzler to the team to replace Angel? I get CC may not have wanted her, but from what I understand her solo was actually cancelled to make room for their New Universe books (which ultimately failed) -- when X-factor fell through because they brought the great-and-magnificent-flaming-parrot-ginger back the character had to go somewhere & I think from a narrative standpoint it made the most sense for her to be with the more underground X-Men. Especially considering elements from Dazzler's own book led to the greater mutant hysteria UXM was utilizing. On the one hand I'm glad it ended up that way.

However, I've never been under the impression CC had any affinity for Dazzler whatsoever, to the point where at times it seemed he downright disliked her after UXM #221. I'm all for a great downfall just to be built back up, but some of the choices seemed like a "take that!" -- Dazzler's ultimate temptation in UXM Annual #11 is choosing to be a bag lady? Lila being considered a more successful singer/celebrity. Initially planning to kill her off until Silvestri convinced him to put her in limbo instead. He was adamant about her ridiculous hot pink caesar-hair & biker chaps in NEX, not the artist. He kept killing her over & over again in NEX with no resolution/endgame. He had her about to commit suicide because Longshot couldn't remember her (Jesus Christ SMDH). I side-eye a lot of stuff with Dazz reading the CC years.

I do wish that instead of being shunted to limbo she could have been moved to Avengers during the 90s (like Beast was in the 80s) -- the 90s era Avengers with Black Widow, Black Knight, Sersi, Crystal, etc was my favorite & Dazzler being a part of that team (with a bomber jacket) would have been great. I also think it would have helped reconnect Dazz back to the greater MU -- because being tethered to the X-verse has done very little for her post-80s, she's been practically wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by tetragene View Post
    So after the original idea of Dazzler being with the male O5 instead of Jean (who was still dead when originally developed) -- when Jean was resurrected they were considering adding Dazzler to the team to replace Angel? I get CC may not have wanted her, but from what I understand her solo was actually cancelled to make room for their New Universe books (which ultimately failed) -- when X-factor fell through because they brought the great-and-magnificent-flaming-parrot-ginger back the character had to go somewhere & I think from a narrative standpoint it made the most sense for her to be with the more underground X-Men. Especially considering elements from Dazzler's own book led to the greater mutant hysteria UXM was utilizing. On the one hand I'm glad it ended up that way.

However, I've never been under the impression CC had any affinity for Dazzler whatsoever, to the point where at times it seemed he downright disliked her after UXM #221. I'm all for a great downfall just to be built back up, but some of the choices seemed like a "take that!" -- Dazzler's ultimate temptation in UXM Annual #11 is choosing to be a bag lady? Lila being considered a more successful singer/celebrity. Initially planning to kill her off until Silvestri convinced him to put her in limbo instead. He was adamant about her ridiculous hot pink caesar-hair & biker chaps in NEX, not the artist. He kept killing her over & over again in NEX with no resolution/endgame. He had her about to commit suicide because Longshot couldn't remember her (Jesus Christ SMDH). I side-eye a lot of stuff with Dazz reading the CC years.

I do wish that instead of being shunted to limbo she could have been moved to Avengers during the 90s (like Beast was in the 80s) -- the 90s era Avengers with Black Widow, Black Knight, Sersi, Crystal, etc was my favorite & Dazzler being a part of that team (with a bomber jacket) would have been great. I also think it would have helped reconnect Dazz back to the greater MU -- because being tethered to the X-verse has done very little for her post-80s, she's been practically wasted.
    Louise Simonson has confirmed this in interviews. Boom Boom joined in X-Factor 12, just as Warren was written out and he wouldnt rejoin until Inferno circa #38. If Louise had been forced to write Ali, she would have been a member of the adult team, taking the spot that Warren left. With Tabby, she got to expand the teen group instead.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tetragene View Post
    He had her about to commit suicide because Longshot couldn't remember her (Jesus Christ SMDH).
    The Dazzler-Longshot relationship was never a romantic thing until Lee & Lobdell perpetrated those ridiculous X-Men #10-11. I'm surprised that CC carried on with that nonsense, given that he wrote them in a more interesting way (friends with benefits + jealousy issues). I guess he had to accept the new canon.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    The Dazzler-Longshot relationship was never a romantic thing until Lee & Lobdell perpetrated those ridiculous X-Men #10-11. I'm surprised that CC carried on with that nonsense, given that he wrote them in a more interesting way (friends with benefits + jealousy issues). I guess he had to accept the new canon.
    Right -- even though I think CC wrote them oddly (which in turn made it creepy) the friends-with-benefits deal at least made sense: Longshot was supposed to be sex on legs. As a Longshot fan I'm curious what are your thoughts on CC's portrayal? I haven't read the Longshot mini in ages, but from what I remember he was depicted very much as able & "adult" with a humorous alien bewilderment about Earth. The way CC wrote him was like a man-child with a toddler-like understanding (& sometimes speech) of things. Based off the writing I always thought CC was not a fan of either character, but I'm not sure if Longshot was editorially placed there like Dazzler or not.

It's cool you're a Longshot fan! If you don't mind, I invite you to read my answer to your question in the Longshot Appreciation Thread 2020, in order to not disturb this Dazzler Appreciation Thread with OT stuff.

Just a note about 'sex on legs': in my headcanon, I'm pretty sure that Longshot would have had sex with any of the X-Men who asked him for it, since he's naturally playful and generous and he doesn't comprehend the notion of 'romantic particular love'. Ali was quicker than the others, that's all.
    Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 05-30-2020 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Correct link

It's cool you're a Longshot fan! If you don't mind, I invite you to read my answer to your question in the Longshot Appreciation Thread 2020, in order to not disturb this Dazzler Appreciation Thread with OT stuff.

Just a note about 'sex on legs': in my headcanon, I'm pretty sure that Longshot would have had sex with any of the X-Men who asked him for it, since he's naturally playful and generous and he doesn't comprehend the notion of 'romantic particular love'. Ali was quicker than the others, that's all.
    Yeah, at the time, I remember Betsy posing for Peter in the nude, thinking they may get it on (talk about having a power tool), Ro and Logan having this 'more than friends' vibe going on and Madelyne having her existential crisis post-Scott-pre-Inferno to be worried about how hot Longshot was, leaving Rogue to battle for his attention. Of course she lost because of the no touching without "stealin' ya powers" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    Yeah, at the time, I remember Betsy posing for Peter in the nude, thinking they may get it on (talk about having a power tool), Ro and Logan having this 'more than friends' vibe going on and Madelyne having her existential crisis post-Scott-pre-Inferno to be worried about how hot Longshot was, leaving Rogue to battle for his attention. Of course she lost because of the no touching without "stealin' ya powers" thing.
    I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding your post. Honestly I can't remember any scene in which Madelyne thought about Longshot in that way. Maybe you're thinking in this one, with Alex?

Last edited by Ricochet Rita; 05-29-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding your post. Honestly I can't remember any scene in which Madelyne thought about Longshot in that way. Maybe you're thinking in this one, with Alex?

I think Alphaxman was saying that Madelyne had too much on her mind to think about Longshot.
    Last edited by Anodyne; 05-30-2020 at 11:06 PM.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Marvel Tales #232 (December, 1989). Art by Todd McFarlane.

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    I think Alphaxman was saying that Madelyne had too much on her mind to think about Longshot.
    Thanks! Sometimes I feel 'lost in translation' :P

Jim Lee commission of Dazzler that its owner is auctioning on Twitter, with proceeds going to BLM:

The link to the Twitter thread if you want to bid for it: https://twitter.com/mikeavila/status...25023752798208

Hey DazzlerS -- does anyone know of a site that documents Ali's feats? I JUST learned about a SWEET (and I'm sorry to admit, unexpected) application of her powers -- using ECHOLOCATION during the X-Treme X-Men title, when she was reality hopping, taking down floating Xavier heads.

I was floored.

Can anyone help me out? I need to know about MOAR creative uses please and thank you!!!!

QUESTION: Dazzler can absorb sound. Can she basically creep around without anyone hearing her, by absorbing all the noise she might otherwise make??
    Last edited by Fokken; 06-19-2020 at 10:56 AM.

Art by one of my absolute faves, Tula Lotay