Page 1 of 63 123451151 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Default Gambit Appreciation 2020

He's an X-Man. He's the King of Thieves. He's Gambit!

xhHiVJ6.jpg

Art by Clay Mann

Fgl8cws.jpg

Art by Adi Granov

First appearing in Uncanny X-Men #266, Gambit was created by Chris Claremont and Jim Lee and has become a fan-favorite of the X-Universe, appearing in many X-Men titles as well as a slew of his own solos (which have explored his history with the Thieves Guild). He has most recently been in Excalibur with his long-time love and recent wife, Rogue, who also appeared with him in Mr. and Mrs. X as well as Rogue & Gambit. Some of his essential reading includes:

Uncanny X-Men #266, 267

X-Men Vol 2 (issue 33, in particular)

Any of his solo series (but I personally prefer the Nicieza series and the Asmus series)

Mr. and Mrs. X

Rogue & Gambit

Astonishing X-Men by Marjorie Liu

X-Treme X-Men Vol 1 by Claremont

X-23 by Marjorie Liu

(If anyone has a more comprehensive list of essentials for reading Gambit, please share and I can edit this).

He is known for his signature use of playing cards, which he charges with kinetic energy, as well as a bo staff and his athletic abilities (not to mention his skills as a master thief and a bit of a womanizer).

Gambit gained a lot of his popularity as a main cast member in X-Men: The Animated Series, but he has also been in X-Men Evolution as well as Wolverine and the X-Men. He has also appeared in X-Men Origins: Wolverine and was slated to have his own feature film, which has been shelved. Recently, he was portrayed by Bill Heck in the podcast, Wolverine: The Lost Trail.

Other than Rogue, Gambit is friends with Storm, X-23, somewhat frienemies with Wolverine and Deadpool and has a complicated relationship with Mr. Sinister.

That's all I've got for him, but if you're a fan, you probably know all of this already and more!
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    He's an X-Man. He's the King of Thieves. He's Gambit!

xhHiVJ6.jpg

Art by Clay Mann

Fgl8cws.jpg

Art by Adi Granov

First appearing in Uncanny X-Men #266, Gambit was created by Chris Claremont and Jim Lee and has become a fan-favorite of the X-Universe, appearing in many X-Men titles as well as a slew of his own solos (which have explored his history with the Thieves Guild). He has most recently been in Excalibur with his long-time love and recent wife, Rogue, who also appeared with him in Mr. and Mrs. X as well as Rogue & Gambit. Some of his essential reading includes:

Uncanny X-Men #266, 267

X-Men Vol 2 (issue 33, in particular)

Any of his solo series (but I personally prefer the Nicieza series and the Asmus series)

Mr. and Mrs. X

Rogue & Gambit

Astonishing X-Men by Marjorie Liu

X-Treme X-Men Vol 1 by Claremont

X-23 by Marjorie Liu

(If anyone has a more comprehensive list of essentials for reading Gambit, please share and I can edit this).

He is known for his signature use of playing cards, which he charges with kinetic energy, as well as a bo staff and his athletic abilities (not to mention his skills as a master thief and a bit of a womanizer).

Gambit gained a lot of his popularity as a main cast member in X-Men: The Animated Series, but he has also been in X-Men Evolution as well as Wolverine and the X-Men. He has also appeared in X-Men Origins: Wolverine and was slated to have his own feature film, which has been shelved. Recently, he was portrayed by Bill Heck in the podcast, Wolverine: The Lost Trail.

Other than Rogue, Gambit is friends with Storm, X-23, somewhat frienemies with Wolverine and Deadpool and has a complicated relationship with Mr. Sinister.

That's all I've got for him, but if you're a fan, you probably know all of this already and more!
    Oooohhh, I like the new digs and intro page! Well done.

Perhaps I'll visit more often.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Oooohhh, I like the new digs and intro page! Well done.

Perhaps I'll visit more often.
    Please do!
    Make Good Art

Sandmans_Raven, thanks for creating this thread!

No problem! And that's one of my favorite Gambit covers. I love the history shown in it
    Make Good Art

Gambit is my favourite character from any fiction.

Spectacular Member

Happy new year everyone. Let's hope 2020 will be a better year for Remy

Quote Originally Posted by Laemar View Post
    Happy new year everyone. Let's hope 2020 will be a better year for Remy
    Fingers crossed

Will be posting some favorite Gambit fights to nring back appreciation thread to live.

Will start with Gambit vs Daredevil from Gambit #11 (1999) by Nicieza and Skroce

Last edited by Purplevit; 01-03-2020 at 12:29 AM.

Things started off a little stale for Gambit in Excalibur but issue by issue everything has gotten better. Hopefully that trend continues in that book and he starts shine a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    Things started off a little stale for Gambit in Excalibur but issue by issue everything has gotten better. Hopefully that trend continues in that book and he starts shine a bit more.
    It is still not good. I am sure that Excalibur will be the next book to end after FA. Probably with #12.
    Hopefully next writer that will get Remy will understand character better and would want to write him.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    It is still not good. I am sure that Excalibur will be the next book to end after FA. Probably with #12.
    Hopefully next writer that will get Remy will understand character better and would want to write him.
    So far all the times we have gotten a badly written Remy it's because the writer didn't want the character. With writers who wanted him it has been mediocre at worst. With Excalibur all things point towards that Tini isn't particulary interested in Remy.