Page 32 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Tombstone was cool but I needed a big fight. Sadly it didn`t happen. Venom and Kraven would be cool.

More interested to see in future some new Gambit villains or return of old ones. I hope Candra won`t be killed off in Swords of X.
    I'm on board with New Gambit villains. But I would love like a horroresque comic where it feels like a horror movie where Kraven is trying to hunt down Gambit and tracks him and Gambit has to use all his cunning and skill as a theif to escape him. Trying to get rid of tracks, leaving false paths and Kraven just keeps on coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    I'm on board with New Gambit villains. But I would love like a horroresque comic where it feels like a horror movie where Kraven is trying to hunt down Gambit and tracks him and Gambit has to use all his cunning and skill as a theif to escape him. Trying to get rid of tracks, leaving false paths and Kraven just keeps on coming.
    But overplayed and at the end got into trap that Gambit made at the beginning of issue. Would love such story for future Gambit book.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

So who is your TOP 5 Gambit writers?
    Mine:

1. Fabian Nicieza - His Gambit solo with Skroce is my favorite Gambit. Best portrayal. X-Men 33 is probably my favorite comic book issue. Gambit and Externals were great too.
    2. Chris Claremont - Created Gambit and made him cool. Probably the best Gambit fights were written by him.
    3. Howard Mackie - Created the most Gambit mythology and developed it even more in other series like Rogue or Storm centered Unlimited issue with Gambit and Jean. Really underrated.
    4. James Asmus - Great and fun solo with a good written Gambit after a long years of bad writing. What fans really needed. Creative use of powers. Not enough of Gambit action, h2h skills and agility were shown to move him higher on list. KT`s Gambit would kick the hell out from Asmus Gambit. I hope Asmus will get his chance to write Gambit again.

5. Jeph Loeb - A mixed bag. Some good stuff and some are not like Gambit/Bishop. But his Wolverine/Gambit mini was great, Gambit #25 was awesome too and his work with Joe Mad always brings mostly good emotions. Was thinking to give that spot to Marjorie Liu because I like her writing and some great moments but overall her Gambit felt a little bit of one sided and not enough of complex character the way he is.
    1. Claremont - the original. Always loved his take on Gambit, whether it was in Adjectiveless or Extreme or Uncanny.
    2. Asmus - His series will always hold a soft spot in my heart. After not reading comics for a while, it was a breath of fresh air to get back into them with this series
    3. Nicieza - Also a great Gambit writer who you can tell loves the character.
    4. Thompson - Even if she wasn't the best "Gambit writer", I enjoyed how she wrote him with Rogue
    5. Liu - Mostly going off of the X-23 series, but I think she showed how great Gambit can be as a supporting character
    Make Good Art

Good list. What moments you liked the most by David? I loved his banter with QS but overall All-new X-Factor was a huge missed opportunity.
    I place a lot of value on character moments and personality and dialogue in my reading, and in that regard I thought ANXF had some great panels for Gambit for showing his more humorous side and cleverness that were very fun, though overall the book wasn't quite what I wanted it to be, including some problematic elements with consent and also highlighting some of Remy's personal failings rather than showing off his talents.

Mighty Member

But overplayed and at the end got into trap that Gambit made at the beginning of issue. Would love such story for future Gambit book.
    Yeah exactly. I was just thinking about how all the top tier comic book characters have stories where they are just getting beat down consistently. Like some kind of endurance trial they are throwing everything they can at an enemy and it's not enough. It tests every single fiber of the heroes will. Gambit hasn't had that kind of story of just no stopping have to keep moving or you die kind of story. Where his powers could help but ultimately he has to rely on himself and himself alone against a formidable opponent. Breaking him down to his basic emotions. Maybe he keeps his cool demenor in comic but the audience knows how scared he is. But he pushes through. Kraven is a villain designed to track and find, Gambit is a character who is designed to elude and hide. I just think it would be neat. There was a great Buffy episode called Helpless that I think did something similar.

Mighty Member

Good list.
    Surprised to see Liu as top choice. Her Gambit was always support only. Would love to see how she would use him as main lead.

Agree. He was badass on Sh'iar arc.

Sad that Quasada cancelled Gambit solo by Nicieza. My favorite solo.

Nah, Seagle shouldn`t be on list Lobdell never wanted to kill Gambit or leave in Antarctica. He would return with X-Men and have aftermath of his Trial.

Agree on Asmus.
    Well I use Liu in the same way we use the term omega. Omega is the best and most powerful version of that power class. In terms of support stories Liu I think did an omega level job with a support Gambit. Hence why I loved it. I've seen it done awful a lot of times. The way Gambit was put in a special role as the only one who could help her. He was important he didn't need anyone else's help to help her. Even Wolverine was grateful because Gambit got through to her when he couldn't. And Gambit and Wolverine team ups are my favorite. The series did so much with the character side of Gambit that i loved

The other writers who wrote Gambit as the lead didnt really write him as a lead in a omega class way. That's my reasoning. Claremont or Nicieza I think did the closest to a great Gambit but I would say those are alpha level stories. I still want an omega level Gambit lead story. That's what I'm hoping for
    Last edited by Gripstir; 07-07-2020 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    1. Claremont - the original. Always loved his take on Gambit, whether it was in Adjectiveless or Extreme or Uncanny.
    2. Asmus - His series will always hold a soft spot in my heart. After not reading comics for a while, it was a breath of fresh air to get back into them with this series
    3. Nicieza - Also a great Gambit writer who you can tell loves the character.
    4. Thompson - Even if she wasn't the best "Gambit writer", I enjoyed how she wrote him with Rogue
    5. Liu - Mostly going off of the X-23 series, but I think she showed how great Gambit can be as a supporting character
    Also very good list. #1 is just can't be wrong with a classic.
    Yes. I agree about KT. A lot of great moments in her run.

I loved Liu's Astonishing too. Gambit always was confident there and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    I place a lot of value on character moments and personality and dialogue in my reading, and in that regard I thought ANXF had some great panels for Gambit for showing his more humorous side and cleverness that were very fun, though overall the book wasn't quite what I wanted it to be, including some problematic elements with consent and also highlighting some of Remy's personal failings rather than showing off his talents.
    You are right. Dialogues were the highlight of book for me too.

Yeah exactly. I was just thinking about how all the top tier comic book characters have stories where they are just getting beat down consistently. Like some kind of endurance trial they are throwing everything they can at an enemy and it's not enough. It tests every single fiber of the heroes will. Gambit hasn't had that kind of story of just no stopping have to keep moving or you die kind of story. Where his powers could help but ultimately he has to rely on himself and himself alone against a formidable opponent. Breaking him down to his basic emotions. Maybe he keeps his cool demenor in comic but the audience knows how scared he is. But he pushes through. Kraven is a villain designed to track and find, Gambit is a character who is designed to elude and hide. I just think it would be neat. There was a great Buffy episode called Helpless that I think did something similar.
    Gambit had such story in Nicieza solo. Assassination game if I am right. A lot of villains were hunting Remy. But it wasn't as good because at that time Remy could kill all them with a thought.

Mighty Member

Gambit had such story in Nicieza solo. Assassination game if I am right. A lot of villains were hunting Remy. But it wasn't as good because at that time Remy could kill all them with a thought.
    Yeah the main threats were like Bullseye and Batroc. I think Gambit steps up or plays down to the rival depending on what the story needs. He often gets castaway characters to fight. Kraven is a character that has always carried a bit of menace and respect I think. Even when he's kind of gimmicky he always feels dangerous. Especially in some newer comics I liked him

And Gambit and Wolverine team ups are my favorite.
    Agreed. One of my all-time favorite Remy/Logan duets is the Hama/Silvestri version from...

Wolverine #55
    (June, 1992)

So who is your TOP 5 Gambit writers?
    Mine:

1. Fabian Nicieza - His Gambit solo with Skroce is my favorite Gambit. Best portrayal. X-Men 33 is probably my favorite comic book issue. Gambit and Externals were great too.
    2. Chris Claremont - Created Gambit and made him cool. Probably the best Gambit fights were written by him.
    3. Howard Mackie - Created the most Gambit mythology and developed it even more in other series like Rogue or Storm centered Unlimited issue with Gambit and Jean. Really underrated.
    4. James Asmus - Great and fun solo with a good written Gambit after a long years of bad writing. What fans really needed. Creative use of powers. Not enough of Gambit action, h2h skills and agility were shown to move him higher on list. KT`s Gambit would kick the hell out from Asmus Gambit. I hope Asmus will get his chance to write Gambit again.

5. Jeph Loeb - A mixed bag. Some good stuff and some are not like Gambit/Bishop. But his Wolverine/Gambit mini was great, Gambit #25 was awesome too and his work with Joe Mad always brings mostly good emotions. Was thinking to give that spot to Marjorie Liu because I like her writing and some great moments but overall her Gambit felt a little bit of one sided and not enough of complex character the way he is.
    For me it would probably go-

1. Chris Claremont - THE best Gambit writer and not even close for me personally. I love his original work with Gambit on uncanny and the first three issues of abjectiveless X-Men and I love his later work with the character as well(especially on X-Treme). There is just this certain quality to his Gambit that no other writer can quite capture(same for his Storm and Rogue as well). I can't even describe it. He gives Gambit the perfect combination of confidence, talent, charm, intelligence, and mystery(even after all his secrets were revealed).
    2. Fabian Nicieza - Great Gambit writer. Loved the solo and his work with Gambit on abjectiveless X-Men. Gambit #5 is one of, if not, my favorite Gambit issues.
    3. Scott Lobdell - I think a lot of my love for his work can be contributed to Joe Maduriera, but I do greatly enjoy Lobdell's Gambit. I will admit I enjoy the angst between Gambit and Rogue in his work as well. The space arc in Uncanny leading up to the Trial of Gambit are some of my favorite comics.
    4. James Asmus - Great work with the character. Did a good job showing Gambit embrace both his thieving and heroic sides.
    5. Kelly Thompson - Greatly enjoyed Rogue and Gambit and Mr. And Mrs. X. Wish she could have stayed on the characters longer.

After then it would probably go-
    Howard Mackie- Good Gambit writer, and laid a great foundation for the character.
    Tom Taylor- Wish he could have worked with him more.
    Mike Carey- Blasphemy I know, but outside of the Rogneto abomination, I enjoyed a lot of his work on the character and he gave him a few really awesome moments unlike most writers.
    Marjorie Liu- I enjoyed the character work, but her Gambit was largely unimpressive outside of that.

Quote Originally Posted by thjan View Post
    For me it would probably go-

1. Chris Claremont - THE best Gambit writer and not even close for me personally. I love his original work with Gambit on uncanny and the first three issues of abjectiveless X-Men and I love his later work with the character as well(especially on X-Treme). There is just this certain quality to his Gambit that no other writer can quite capture(same for his Storm and Rogue as well). I can't even describe it. He gives Gambit the perfect combination of confidence, talent, charm, intelligence, and mystery(even after all his secrets were revealed).
    2. Fabian Nicieza - Great Gambit writer. Loved the solo and his work with Gambit on abjectiveless X-Men. Gambit #5 is one of, if not, my favorite Gambit issues.
    3. Scott Lobdell - I think a lot of my love for his work can be contributed to Joe Maduriera, but I do greatly enjoy Lobdell's Gambit. I will admit I enjoy the angst between Gambit and Rogue in his work as well. The space arc in Uncanny leading up to the Trial of Gambit are some of my favorite comics.
    4. James Asmus - Great work with the character. Did a good job showing Gambit embrace both his thieving and heroic sides.
    5. Kelly Thompson - Greatly enjoyed Rogue and Gambit and Mr. And Mrs. X. Wish she could have stayed on the characters longer.

After then it would probably go-
    Howard Mackie- Good Gambit writer, and laid a great foundation for the character.
    Tom Taylor- Wish he could have worked with him more.
    Mike Carey- Blasphemy I know, but outside of the Rogneto abomination, I enjoyed a lot of his work on the character and he gave him a few really awesome moments unlike most writers.
    Marjorie Liu- I enjoyed the character work, but her Gambit was largely unimpressive outside of that.
    Huge list! All stars
    Great Claremont description. I felt it.

Yes. Carey`s Gambit in Messiah Complex was awesome.

Definitely would love to see Tom Taylor writing more Gambit. RED 11 is one of the best ever and Gambit was cool in Enemy of state 2 too. All-New Wolverine 16 is probably one of the coolest his entries ever when he came to save brainwashed Laura and destroyed the whole floor and blow up Laura into pieces with a single card.

More scans how badass were Gambit and Sunfire as Marauders. A few pages ago posted how they fought Bishop