Page 15 of 63 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Reflexes

I was just reading these issues yesterday. Not my favorite parts of Claremont run, but it was interesting to see the beginings of my second favorite X-Men. Although i wonder, was it ever explain what that "charm" power that Gambit seemed to had?, Nanny and Dr Shen comented about him having some some sort of persuasion power, was that something that was mean to be part of CC original plans or it was just Remy having a great silver tongue?
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    It’s like he’s a Chimera, U-Man, or stricken with septenary mutations.

Initially, he was thus a powerful character who could battle any super human. and was even feared. And I saw him in his early appearances as a mutant with world-class energy powers. Additionally a whole lot more of enhanced human powers. It was something like Monet st Croix's first attempt. Like something like the perfect human being, Gambit could even reflexively move faster than a bullet and even dodge and deflect them among many more abilities that after years were completely forgotten.

The only two writers had Remy as a powerful character and they were the great Chris Claremont and Fabian. The rest unfortunately only sees him as a charming thief.
    but weak in power.

Or someone sexy but who really in groups and in battle is more filling than anything else because his powers are not a big deal, and unfortunately in the current canon it is.
    and unfortunately that is the canon for 20 years until now.

Ironically they mention a lot of xmenred in feats of power ... and I see the opposite. They show it very limited.
    and that its power is not really functional.
    for a more or less decent explosion, it must carry something very large ... and it takes a long time to do it.
    this is not functional because first he could not attack another with that ... and second he needs another character to get away from there and not end up injured or dead, the claremont Gambit with a letter his explosions were first class.
    depending on what you carry, but that is no longer the case, and his agility and speed wn xmenred sucked because a civilian was shot dead.
    the old Gambit could have deflected the bullet even with a letter.

There is much complaint from excalibur for its power level. But if we go to that they must complain about his power level of the last two decades, in Ff vs Xmen Remy is the only one that is really badly in power.

Ironically I see that many were complaining about Kelly thonpson, when she gave us the best Gambit in recent years. It wasn't just fun and it had a voice, instead, she actually wrote down her powers like old school, something no one else has done for two decades. and still there were those who criticized her, now they surely miss her.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I was just reading these issues yesterday. Not my favorite parts of Claremont run, but it was interesting to see the beginings of my second favorite X-Men. Although i wonder, was it ever explain what that "charm" power that Gambit seemed to had?, Nanny and Dr Shen comented about him having some some sort of persuasion power, was that something that was mean to be part of CC original plans or it was just Remy having a great silver tongue?
    I prefer his charm not as power. Asmus told that Gambit don`t need charming powers because he is already charming enough Or smth like this.

Than Nanny scan.

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    The thing a lot of these scans show as well is that Gambit thought thru his attacks. There was a time when his name actually was indicative of his character. He would take risks or do something seemingly benign or stupid only for it to be revealed later it was part of a larger plan. Gambit really should be Marvel's answer to Batman in terms of setting up a seemingly stronger opponent for a defeat later in the encounter due to some prep he carried out.

Last time we saw him do that was the only 2 issues of KT's run I liked when he cut himself and hid something underneath his skin because he knew he was going to be searched when he was apprehended by the Guilds.
    Oh, when he cut himself and hid something underneath was very awesome. Looooved it in MMX 11-12.

Ofcourse he is smart and always has a plan. He would never attack Apoc with charged fists and as a close range attack, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Agreed. But don't forget Remy's "powers of persuasion" (i.e., Gambit's charmed powers) from Uncanny X-Men #266:
    https://www.xplainthexmen.com/2017/0...my-ro/x145_12/
    I prefer his persuasion and charm as his natural charm and not as superpower.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

I agree, Purp. The charm being a power reminds me a little too much of Starfox's powers, which are rape-y imo
    Make Good Art

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

FYI to anyone who's interested: You can pre-order the Walgreen's Exclusive Gambit Funko but I also hear it will be popping up in stores soon.
    Make Good Art

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    I agree, Purp. The charm being a power reminds me a little too much of Starfox's powers, which are rape-y imo
    My first thougth was the Purple Man. Also, comic book Ebony Maw apparently had the same power.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    My first thougth was the Purple Man. Also, comic book Ebony Maw apparently had the same power.
    Agreed. Also, don't forget this guy:

All-New Member

Can't wait to see who they pit against Gambit in the new Cable series and how humiliating his defeat will be. Because obviously they won't let Gambit win as the x-editors hate my favorite character and have for years if his slow fall into complete ineptitude is any indication. The dude threw cards that didn't even explode and tried to punch Apocalypse in the face in Excalibur. Like, why? Why do they hate him??

My bet is on knocking himself out with, idk, a rake or something ala old cartoons. Any guesses?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazzidazs View Post
    Can't wait to see who they pit against Gambit in the new Cable series and how humiliating his defeat will be. Because obviously they won't let Gambit win as the x-editors hate my favorite character and have for years if his slow fall into complete ineptitude is any indication. The dude threw cards that didn't even explode and tried to punch Apocalypse in the face in Excalibur. Like, why? Why do they hate him??

My bet is on knocking himself out with, idk, a rake or something ala old cartoons. Any guesses?
    Is he going to be in Cable?
    Last time Duggan wrote him, he had him team up with the Hamburglar and got caught out easily...so yeah...

Spectacular Member

It's not just Gambit is incompetent but fights in comics do not have any choreography anymore. It's just people blasting each other. Do you remember the last fight that e team showed teamwork or anyone making calculated moves like in the '80s or '90s? In a mindlessly blasting battlefield, Gambit's use, of course, will become incompetent. I think writers should start playing DnD or something to learn some battle tactics

Adam Kubert
    Quick sketch of my favorite Cajun. #gambit #xmen #marvelcomics
    https://twitter.com/AdamKubert/statu...53651132596227

Depowered Gambit vs possessed Bishop in X-treme X-men

Fatality

3.jpg