Page 23 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    I love Guilds and all stories about them. It is up yo you if you don`t like them. It is normal, I guess.

As funny as it is but the most useful Thieves Guilds appeared in recent Amazing Spider-Man #8-9 or so.

There were a lot of bad written Gambit but you are not right that he never shows stealth or great thievery.

My favorite stealth mission is from the beginning of Gambit 8 by Nicieza. Remy entered mansion, used powder to see and avoid beams, used Xavier`s aftershave smell to trick Wolverine`s enhanced senses, released a slow biokinetic charge into card near forehead to avoid mind readers as Jean and Xavier, etc. It was great and with style.

Thievery was also great in Gambit #1 by Asmus and he used great tech there or in Gambit #2 by Nicieza.

He used lockpicks a lot of times recently in MMX and in other books too. He is using them a lot really.
    Locks were never a problem for him on his trial, in Gambit 7 by Asmus, on scan below, a lot of times in MMX and Rogue/Gambit mini.

As for Gambit as name a good written Gambit live up to his name. He always has a plan, own motives and doing everything with style.
    That old page shows it. When he get spike in leg on purpose so he can free everyone later.

I actually enjoy guild stuff to an extent. At least the sentiment behind it. I just find the way they are written in this universe pretty boring. The characters are not interesting outside of gambit and maybe Bella and Candra. I think the "tithe man" name is really badass but even the character didn't really do it for me. But the tithe stuff ha. Lot of potential. And I mention again maybe showing more of the training and showing gambits evolution through it might help but right now we have only gotten small bits. I just don't feel like the guilds have much impact. I haven't read those Spider-Man issues but if there is something in there about the guilds that may help my enjoyment I'll check em out.

I misspoke about the stealth stuff you are right he does show some good stuff while in the thieving. I will just say I think he gets caught a lot and and missions are Kinda similar in formula all the time. I never feel any tension. It's not a matter of if he will get away it's a matter of how will he get caught then what did he tape to his body to protect him. There's an issue where he straps a tarot card to his chest and it saves him. I would upload the panel but when I upload pictures they show up extra small

My thing is when I think of master theif I think of someone who can get out of his situation without relying on blowing up something or picking a lock. I kinda want to see an oceans 11 type thing like they were gonna do with the Channing Tatum movie but from what I heard the script was really bad and they were looking at doing a romantic comedy.

Asmus and Nicieza have 2 of my favorite series of gambit for different reasons

Nicieza did exactly what I want from gambit which is explore his powers more and the fact he had Sinister nerf him. I really didn't care about new sun stuff but the exploration of gambits powers at omega level is one of my favorite topics to talk about in comics because I actually studied up on potential and kinetic energy just to learn what gambit might be able to do on a science scale. It's interesting all of the powers they gave Gambit at his full potiential, are pretty much scientifically accurate in a sci fi way

Asmus series not gonna lie plot wise is kinda forgettable outside of a few moments like Rogue and Wisdom but the thing that makes this one of my favorites is the artwork. Clay Mann was the artist on a lot of that series and it is how I love seeing Gambit drawn. Gambit can be tricky for people to draw well but his animated series look and style was really cool and this captures that vibe a lot. image.jpg

I think ultimately for me I feel like Gambit rarely is the game changer. I think he is often given things to do simply because he's there. I'm not sure if you're aware a lot of people who wrote gambit in comics hated him. Even Bryan Singer refused to even have him in his movies. And the new books like Excalibur and Mr and Mrs X really just make Gambit seem like the agreeable guy with no agency outside of what he thinks Rogue wants. The Mr and Mrs X series was particularly disappointing because the girl writing it said she was a fan of gambit and rogues relationship but she never said gambit alone. And you can see it in the series. Everything is about Gambit being loyal to Rogue. He is no longer a character for himself. All of his motives are her motives. Well maybe not all hut I mean on a consistency scale he's more about her than anything. I really just hate their relationship now because gambit was clearly written by a girl who wanted a Gambit boyfriend in real life but turned him into a stay at home boyfriend who wants to binge watch Netflix has a chandler Bing sweater vest and I think has dinner parties with cats or something I forget. I just feel like Gambit can only shine when he's not with others because they force him to be the side piece a lot of times to help elevate others. But when he's alone the story often relies on theiving but as I said his robberies are really boring to read through.

And I do agree with your last pictures. Gambit in the old series prior to trial of gambit was a different character. He was strong capable and had some cool stories. But lately they just don't build him up to his full potential. Like I recently read through some of his early comics in Uncanny and watching him on the Sh'iar arc he was a leader of the situation and I was shocked at just how capable he was. Compared to some of the writers now and how they treat him in Uncanny. Attachment 97421

Overall yeah I think I typed way too much but I like talking about this I will just say I think Remy has so many loose threads and I'd love to see him put it all together. Sometimes he's emotional and awesome, like in the X23 series, other times he's funny and sometimes charming and sometimes badass. Just never really all at once. I want more of them putting all of his stories together. And more sinister. gambit doesn't even have a arch nemesis of his own and I would love to sinister become gambits full time arch nemisis
    Last edited by Gripstir; 06-09-2020 at 01:26 PM.

IMG_20200609_153244.jpg

Present for you from the Romy thread. Hopefully this means we'll see something more interesting for Gambit in Excalibur #10.

Guilds were cool in ASM because they were able to steal from A lists and had a good plan. Sad that Gambit wasn't in story.

I remeber that card on chest story from Layman's solo. Not a fan of that book.

I read second draft of 2015 Gambit script. It was rewritten multiple times after it. Just my opinion. That draft had lame Guilds and bad set up at the beginning. After that it was good. And final heist was amazing. Third avt was golden. When I finished reading it I was depressed that I will never see this movie. In it Gambit was dangerous, fast, charming, creative and really clever. I loved it.

Agree about Asmus and Nicieza.

MMX should have been much better but it had amazing Gambit moments. It usually starts fire here so won't continue to speak about it.

A lot of Marvel writers hates him. That is why he is often wriiten poorly. Hickman probably hates him too so I don't expect anything good for Remy anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    IMG_20200609_153244.jpg

Present for you from the Romy thread. Hopefully this means we'll see something more interesting for Gambit in Excalibur #10.
    Thank you my friend!

Mighty Member

Guilds were cool in ASM because they were able to steal from A lists and had a good plan. Sad that Gambit wasn't in story.

I remeber that card on chest story from Layman's solo. Not a fan of that book.

I read second draft of 2015 Gambit script. It was rewritten multiple times after it. Just my opinion. That draft had lame Guilds and bad set up at the beginning. After that it was good. And final heist was amazing. Third avt was golden. When I finished reading it I was depressed that I will never see this movie. In it Gambit was dangerous, fast, charming, creative and really clever. I loved it.

Agree about Asmus and Nicieza.

MMX should have been much better but it had amazing Gambit moments. It usually starts fire here so won't continue to speak about it.

A lot of Marvel writers hates him. That is why he is often wriiten poorly. Hickman probably hates him too so I don't expect anything good for Remy anytime soon.
    Well that was my thing with the thieves guild is that they never really play on the big stage so if they do in ASM I want to check it out for sure

I've only read leaked details about the script. I think I remember someone saying the script was leaked online but I could be remembering wrong. do you happen to know if the scripts are still available or did they get all of the copies removed?

I didn't know Mr and Mrs X was controversial.i always felt like an outcast. I would have liked more Deadpool and Gambit stuff tbh.

I heard Kevin Fiege is a fan that's why he wants to give him a show. but I think there's a certain level of machismo and bravado that is hard for comic book writers to identify with so its hard for them to write someone cocky like that in w fun way. I remember Joss Whedon said he struggled writing male characters like Angel Spike and Riley on Buffy because he didn't know how to write masculine men

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    IMG_20200609_153244.jpg

That's a cool panel

Listen, if people ever wanna fix Gambit, there’s one really good place to start.

Guess what that place is
    Last edited by bigstupidjellyfish; 06-09-2020 at 06:31 PM.

It was a cool Brood crossover.
    I'll take your word.

However, the original will always be my favorite:

Excalibur 10

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    Well that was my thing with the thieves guild is that they never really play on the big stage so if they do in ASM I want to check it out for sure

I've only read leaked details about the script. I think I remember someone saying the script was leaked online but I could be remembering wrong. do you happen to know if the scripts are still available or did they get all of the copies removed?

I didn't know Mr and Mrs X was controversial.i always felt like an outcast. I would have liked more Deadpool and Gambit stuff tbh.

I heard Kevin Fiege is a fan that's why he wants to give him a show. but I think there's a certain level of machismo and bravado that is hard for comic book writers to identify with so its hard for them to write someone cocky like that in w fun way. I remember Joss Whedon said he struggled writing male characters like Angel Spike and Riley on Buffy because he didn't know how to write masculine men
    I will ask about script.

Deadpool and Gambit were cool in MMX.
    Deadpool V Gambit mini had some cool moments but overall wasn`t good, really. Wrong writers for such series.

I heard that Feige likes him. I hope it is true.

Mighty Member

I will ask about script.

Deadpool and Gambit were cool in MMX.
    Deadpool V Gambit mini had some cool moments but overall wasn`t good, really. Wrong writers for such series.

I heard that Feige likes him. I hope it is true.

Appreciate it. I know sinister was gonna be in and they teased him in the previous xmen movie

Yeah that dead pool gambit series was not what I was expecting. Felt like they were trying to go for something really gritty and real idk. Loved the dead pool and Spider-Man dress up scene though lol

Speaking of Spider-Man I bit the bullet and checked out those 2 ASM issues with the thieves guild of New York. Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking of. Where the guild is important. Not just ripping off some art pieces but doing some power plays and stuff. I like their outfits.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I'll take your word.

However, the original will always be my favorite:
    One of the coolest X-Men moments. So 90s. So great.
    Make Good Art

Mighty Member

I've only played on Xmen game from PS2 but I always wanted to play like Marvel vs Capcom and all that stuff just never have. Love street fighter and love xmen

The song itself reminds me of the Japanese version of the xmen animated series intro. Which I think looks amazing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2rSw4Xl5qfs
    Last edited by Gripstir; 06-11-2020 at 09:57 AM.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    I've only played on Xmen game from PS2 but I always wanted to play like Marvel vs Capcom and all that stuff just never have. Love street fighter and love xmen

The song itself reminds me of the Japanese version of the xmen animated series intro. Which I think looks amazing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2rSw4Xl5qfs
    I found Marvel vs Capcom 2 on the X-Box marketplace. Such a great game. One of my favorite Gambit designs as well
    Make Good Art