Page 31 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post

As much hate has Austen gets from his Uncanny run, I thought he did a really good job introducing Remy to the Ultimate U

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    It would be interesting to combine the first two options. Make it seem like he was there to help Storm and that was his "in", but really it was all a set up by Sinister to infiltrate the X-Men. But as Remy works with them he slowly grows to care about the cause and befriends them and eventually goes double agent for the X-Men?
    Love it. Make villainous at first and then have him "work" to be a hero. Have some characters like Storm and Rogue vouching for him while others like Wolverine and Cyclops think he can't be trusted
    Make Good Art

Mighty Member

So if we assume that Gambit will be introduced to MCU in D+ series. How would you like him to be introduced to X-Men after that?

Helping Storm and she invites him? Should he be Sinister`s undercover agent that changes his loyalty later? Maybe badass Ultimate entrance where he KO`s Iceman with a single card, takes X-Men busy with destroyed Ferris wheel and then blows up Logan so he can steal Rogue?
    So I would love for Sinister to be introduced through his Disney + show rather than an X-men movie or as Gambits intro. But maybe when Sinister goes to the movies Gambit can be brought along that way I guess. In terms of X-men i would love for it to be through Storm and establish their friendship. Especially because Storm and Black Panther eventually get married I would love for Gambit to meet T'challa and gain his respect and become a groomsman for T'challa and him and Rogue be a part of Storm's wedding. Then have Gambit do his typical macho stuff where he's helping T'challa get ready and he tells him "if ya ever hurt my Stormy ill take Wakanda away from you" T'challa says "I am the king of wakanda and I won't hurt her" then Remy says "But if you did I would take it from you" indicating he would steal wakanda. Idk I love the friendship of Storm and Gambit and I like to believe he would do anything to protect her

Also since the Pyg is being used maybe we will see Gambit as a kid and we Can see Storm and Gambit meet as kids rather than just one as a kid.

I wouldn't mind him being a villain at first, I think they said Rogue might be one too at first. I think it would be a good way to build tension between then and keep them as frenemies at first.
    Last edited by Gripstir; 07-06-2020 at 08:55 AM.

Mighty Member

I remember the cover being something I loved because it was sillohoutte and it was shadows. I now realize my favorite kind of art is minimalist art. Where you can show all the qualities you love about something without showing all the details. Just highlighting the key parts. I love shadows and stuff too.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    Gambits friendships with female characters (Storm, Marrow, Jubilee, X-23)
    12 (7%)
    As much as i have a soft spot for Marrow, i don't think she can be counted as having anything close to a friendship with Remy. One could even argue there is barely an acquaintance.

While she has become an official part of his backstory in the comics, as far as his involvement in the mutant massacre is considered, the two hardly interacted with one another during her brief time as X-men (1997-2000).
    Most of if was causing him to feel guilty by proximity, including that time he accidently blew her up and dragged her to a Skrull healing machine (which resulted in her awkward "improvement"), but not much beyond that.
    Afterwards the writer was much more interested in having her develop a friendship with Collosus (which was also based on guilt...), leaving Gambit to his at the time damaged relationship with Rogue.

There just aren't any major interactions or adventures togther to argue that they became friends. And since her sudden dissapearance in 2000 the two have not interacted or been associated with one another for 20 years now (not that she interacted with many X-men during that time in general).
    Likely because Gambit remained one of the big popular X-men, while the number of writers who would like to use or address Marrow can likely be counted on a hand.

Even now that the two are basicly on the same island, i doubt they will interact since, besides his marriage with Rogue and job on Excalibur, there is that protege he seems to get in Children of the Atom.

Not that i would mind being wrong on that.
    Last edited by Grunty; 07-06-2020 at 04:23 PM.

Gambit vs Spider-Man

Web of Spider-Man 113. Awesome issue.

So who is your TOP 5 Gambit writers?
    Mine:

1. Fabian Nicieza - His Gambit solo with Skroce is my favorite Gambit. Best portrayal. X-Men 33 is probably my favorite comic book issue. Gambit and Externals were great too.
    2. Chris Claremont - Created Gambit and made him cool. Probably the best Gambit fights were written by him.
    3. Howard Mackie - Created the most Gambit mythology and developed it even more in other series like Rogue or Storm centered Unlimited issue with Gambit and Jean. Really underrated.
    4. James Asmus - Great and fun solo with a good written Gambit after a long years of bad writing. What fans really needed. Creative use of powers. Not enough of Gambit action, h2h skills and agility were shown to move him higher on list. KT`s Gambit would kick the hell out from Asmus Gambit. I hope Asmus will get his chance to write Gambit again.

5. Jeph Loeb - A mixed bag. Some good stuff and some are not like Gambit/Bishop. But his Wolverine/Gambit mini was great, Gambit #25 was awesome too and his work with Joe Mad always brings mostly good emotions. Was thinking to give that spot to Marjorie Liu because I like her writing and some great moments but overall her Gambit felt a little bit of one sided and not enough of complex character the way he is.
    Last edited by Purplevit; 07-07-2020 at 03:47 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    As much as i have a soft spot for Marrow, i don't think she can be counted as having anything close to a friendship with Remy. One could even argue there is barely an acquaintance.

While she has become an official part of his backstory in the comics, as far as his involvement in the mutant massacre is considered, the two hardly interacted with one another during her brief time as X-men (1997-2000).
    Most of if was causing him to feel guilty by proximity, including that time he accidently blew her up and dragged her to a Skrull healing machine (which resulted in her awkward "improvement"), but not much beyond that.
    Afterwards the writer was much more interested in having her develop a friendship with Collosus (which was also based on guilt...), leaving Gambit to his at the time damaged relationship with Rogue.

There just aren't any major interactions or adventures togther to argue that they became friends. And since her sudden dissapearance in 2000 the two have not interacted or been associated with one another for 20 years now (not that she interacted with many X-men during that time in general).
    Likely because Gambit remained one of the big popular X-men, while the number of writers who would like to use or address Marrow can likely be counted on a hand.

Even now that the two are basicly on the same island, i doubt they will interact since, besides his marriage with Rogue and job on Excalibur, there is that protege he seems to get in Children of the Atom.

Not that i would mind being wrong on that.

That's totally fair. I was never a fan of Marrow and a Gambit as well. I still hold Gambit and X-23 is the best kind of mentor relationship of that kind. It's just so good. I kinda disregard the Children of the Atom series because it doesn't feel like a protege I feel like whoever that is is going to be replacing Gambit in the future especially in tv and movies so I have no interest in that comic or that character whatsoever.

Mighty Member

You know I would love to see Gambit properly go up against Spider-Man's rogue gallery of villains. I'd love to see Gambit vs Venom and Kraven and Morbius in like an actual arc in Spider-Man's comicbook on his own

Gambit and Marrow are not used because marvel tries everyone to forget that Gambit was a part of Mutant Massacre. Their story is not ended and I would like a good writer to handle a story about them and when they finally have a conversation about all things that happened.

You know I would love to see Gambit properly go up against Spider-Man's rogue gallery of villains. I'd love to see Gambit vs Venom and Kraven and Morbius in like an actual arc in Spider-Man's comicbook on his own
    Tombstone was cool but I needed a big fight. Sadly it didn`t happen. Venom and Kraven would be cool.

More interested to see in future some new Gambit villains or return of old ones. I hope Candra won`t be killed off in Swords of X.

Mine:

1. Fabian Nicieza - His Gambit solo with Skroce is my favorite Gambit. Best portrayal. X-Men 33 is probably my favorite comic book issue. Gambit and Externals were great too.
    2. Chris Claremont - Created Gambit and made him cool. Probably the best Gambit fights were written by him.
    3. Howard Mackie - Created the most Gambit mythology and developed it even more in other series like Rogue or Storm centered Unlimited issue with Gambit and Jean. Really underrated.
    4. James Asmus - Great and fun solo with a good written Gambit after a long years of bad writing. What fans really needed. Creative use of powers. Not enough of Gambit action, h2h skills and agility were shown to move him higher on list. KT`s Gambit would kick the hell out from Asmus Gambit. I hope Asmus will get his chance to write Gambit again.

5. Jeph Loeb - A mixed bag. Some good stuff and some are not like Gambit/Bishop. But his Wolverine/Gambit mini was great, Gambit #25 was awesome too and his work with Joe Mad always brings mostly good emotions. Was thinking to give that spot to Marjorie Liu because I like her writing and some great moments but overall her Gambit felt a little bit of one sided and not enough of complex character the way he is.
    At the moment, I would probably go with:
    1. Niceiza
    2. Claremont
    3. Asmus
    4. Liu
    5. Thompson

With Mackie as a runner up.

There's a bunch I might give honorable mention for particularly good moments or panels or that come with an asterisk like Loeb, Carey, & David. Heck, even Austin if we only count Ultimates.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    At the moment, I would probably go with:
    1. Niceiza
    2. Claremont
    3. Asmus
    4. Liu
    5. Thompson

With Mackie as a runner up.

There's a bunch I might give honorable mention for particularly good moments or panels or that come with an asterisk like Loeb, Carey, & David. Heck, even Austin if we only count Ultimates.
    Good list. What moments you liked the most by David? I loved his banter with QS but overall All-new X-Factor was a huge missed opportunity.

Mighty Member

Mine:

Oh that's kinda hard. I keep saying I don't feel there is any definitive writer for gambit who captures him perfectly how I want but looking at which writers I enjoyed reading

1. Marjorie Liu - I've made no secrets about how much I love the Gambit in the X-23 series. I picture Remy as wiser than he appears and it was great watching Remy be the steadying influence for one person while being the wild child for everyone else

2. Chris Claremont - I think because they were writing him as a potential bad guy they really got to experiment with him early on and it was great. I loved him taking charge on the Sh'iar arc early on and taking on Gladiator

3. Fabian Nicieza - I mean story wise of his Gambit series I was never a fan. But revealing Gambit as potential omega level is one of the best choices a Gambit writer ever did. Plus it fits with Gambits powers of turning potential into explosive power. It's actually a lot of poetry in that revelation. Plus Fabian does write Gambit and Rogues first date in Uncanny X-men I believe

4. Steve Seagle/Scott Lobdell - I actually do want to give some credit to them because I believe they are a couple of the writers who hated writing Gambit but tried their best to give Gambit a story even though they were forced to. They did the trial of gambit which I will say is not my favorite but I give them credit for trying

5. James Asmus - I think his Gambit series is carried by the amazing artwork of Clay Mann I will say the story itself was very well written. I agree with you a little more action would have helped but loved when they went to (I think) Peru and awakened those old dragon gods and Gambit had to fight these dragons that looked like they came out of Avatar the Last Airbender made me audibly go "ok I'm into this". I got my first introduction to Pete Wisdom who I thought was really cool in the comic as well. Rogue made a fun cameo and I think Joelle was a good leading lady for a lot of the series. Could it have been better? Totally. Did I still have some fun with a lot of moments? you betcha.
    Last edited by Gripstir; 07-07-2020 at 07:47 AM.

Oh that's kinda hard. I keep saying I don't feel there is any definitive writer for gambit who captures him perfectly how I want but looking at which writers I enjoyed reading

1. Marjorie Liu - I've made no secrets about how much I love the Gambit in the X-23 series. I picture Remy as wiser than he appears and it was great watching Remy be the steadying influence for one person while being the wild child for everyone else

2. Chris Claremont - I think because they were writing him as a potential bad guy they really got to experiment with him early on and it was great. I loved him taking charge on the Sh'iar arc early on and taking on Gladiator

3. Fabian Nicieza - I mean story wise of his Gambit series I was never a fan. But revealing Gambit as potential omega level is one of the best choices a Gambit writer ever did. Plus it fits with Gambits powers of turning potential into explosive power. It's actually a lot of poetry in that revelation. Plus Fabian does write Gambit and Rogues first date in Uncanny X-men I believe

4. Steve Seagle/Scott Lobdell - I actually do want to give some credit to him because I believe he's one of the writers who hated writing Gambit but he tried his best to give Gambit a story even though he was forced to. They did the trial of gambit which I will say is not my favorite but I give them credit for trying

5. James Asmus - I think his Gambit series is carried by the amazing artwork of Clay Mann I will say the story itself was very well written. I agree with you a little more action would have helped but loved when they went to (I think) Peru and awakened those old dragon gods and Gambit had to fight these dragons that looked like they came out of Avatar the Last Airbender made me audibly go "ok I'm into this". I got my first introduction to Pete Wisdom who I thought was really cool in the comic as well. Rogue made a fun cameo and I think Joelle was a good leading lady for a lot of the series. Could it have been better? Totally did I still have some fun with a lot of moments you betcha.
    Good list.
    Surprised to see Liu as top choice. Her Gambit was always support only. Would love to see how she would use him as main lead.

Agree. He was badass on Sh'iar arc.

Sad that Quasada cancelled Gambit solo by Nicieza. My favorite solo.

Nah, Seagle shouldn`t be on list Lobdell never wanted to kill Gambit or leave in Antarctica. He would return with X-Men and have aftermath of his Trial.

Agree on Asmus.