Page 4 of 63 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Guys, the charged fists aren't new. He used that move on Spiral in MMX. It was actually pretty awesome.

But yeah, I don't like seeing Remy portrayed as being this hot-tempered. Now yes, I can think of plenty of older issues where he had some of this sort of behavior. But he's very much grown out of it.
    I mean, you'd be shocked how desperation can regress a person's growth, but even so I feel like we needed to see a bit...more...of that? A bit more introspection, perhaps, from the lad?

I'm actually really torn about it? On the one hand, I can sort of pick up the cues dotted about the issues: the fear in #1, his temper in #2, his melancholy irritation in #3 which just exploded #4-5, but the pacing of everything else around it just made it lose its' impact somehow? Maybe it's because the events between the panels don't feel like they have a chance to breathe and, well, everyone's being yanked from hither to thither and back again?

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    I mean, you'd be shocked how desperation can regress a person's growth, but even so I feel like we needed to see a bit...more...of that? A bit more introspection, perhaps, from the lad?

I'm actually really torn about it? On the one hand, I can sort of pick up the cues dotted about the issues: the fear in #1, his temper in #2, his melancholy irritation in #3 which just exploded #4-5, but the pacing of everything else around it just made it lose its' impact somehow? Maybe it's because the events between the panels don't feel like they have a chance to breathe and, well, everyone's being yanked from hither to thither and back again?
    Yeah, I see what you mean. It's like you can tell what she was trying to do there and it's much easier to notice in retrospect. But still ... There needed to be more guiding. Thought bubbles? Dialogue cues? Leading discussions?

I think I could buy some of the temper in some scenes moreso than in others. I just don't want to continue seeing it as a defining characteristic going forward.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Yeah, I see what you mean. It's like you can tell what she was trying to do there and it's much easier to notice in retrospect. But still ... There needed to be more guiding. Thought bubbles? Dialogue cues? Leading discussions?

I think I could buy some of the temper in some scenes moreso than in others. I just don't want to continue seeing it as a defining characteristic going forward.
    Oh definitely; Remy's a character who benefits from those kind of introspective moments, regardless of growth. That's just how he is, what he feels most comfortable doing and, ultimately, how it's probably best expressed or, at the least, expanded on.

And 100% with you; if it's just for this arc then, yeah, ok, fair enough--but if this is how Tini see's him then...well I'm not gonna ditch it 'cos I'm actually too broken to leave this character but, still.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    You must be new. God bless you.
    Hahahahhahah

Y’all, remember when Neko, myself, and some others I’m forgetting said this marriage was a sign of bad times for Gambit and the rest of y’all didn’t wanna listen?

You want Gambit to be treated like a proper character again? You know what needs to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    Y’all, remember when Neko, myself, and some others I’m forgetting said this marriage was a sign of bad times for Gambit and the rest of y’all didn’t wanna listen?

You want Gambit to be treated like a proper character again? You know what needs to happen.
    Yeah because before his marriage he was in his prime...

Gambit is Tini's punching bag. I wonder if she is so detach from the reality that she thinks she is writing him well.
    I can already imagine that when the book fails she will pull a PAD and blame Gambit and his fans for her own shortcomings.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by R0d View Post

Gambit is Tini's punching bag. I wonder if she is so detach from the reality that she thinks she is writing him well.
    I can already imagine that when the book fails she will pull a PAD and blame Gambit and his fans for her own shortcomings.
    Hey, maybe we can blame Rogue for this too.

The marriage is obviously not the problem here since Howard is writing most of the characters terribly. She just doesn't seem to get Gambit at all. Well that or she really doesn't like him like lots of people seem to think. I don't know which it is, but I know she is mismanaging a great cast and I wish both Gambit and Rogue could be in a different title.

Gambit is officially now a damsel in distress.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

I didn't even realize a new thread existed. How sad when a die hard G fan can't be bothered to check. I need a new hobby. LOL

Agreed, divorce and a different team and book and not written by people who don't get him. Wow, how novel. LOL

He was his own character before the marriage. Prime or not, be the books good or bad - he was still his own character compared to last few years. IMO

Like or not the books prior, he actually had some personality beyond having a wife. IMO

Of course its Gambit and his fans fault. Lets not look at the gibberish written or anything else. <-sarcasm LOL

And yes – limbo would have been better.
    Last edited by Neko; 01-12-2020 at 09:33 AM.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Quote Originally Posted by thjan View Post
    The marriage is obviously not the problem here since Howard is writing most of the characters terribly. She just doesn't seem to get Gambit at all. Well that or she really doesn't like him like lots of people seem to think. I don't know which it is, but I know she is mismanaging a great cast and I wish both Gambit and Rogue could be in a different title.
    It is not the marriage, but the implied impression that the marriage is all that there is to Gambit's character.
    Last edited by Neko; 01-12-2020 at 11:56 AM.
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    He was his own character before the marriage. Prime or not, be the books good or bad - he was still his own character compared to last few years. IMO

Like or not the books prior, he actually had some personality beyond having a wife. IMO
    Since the end of Asmus' solo till KT's R&G his character was just as badly treated as it was during the Milligan/Carey/Gage era, except this time Rogue wasn't that much around for people to put the blame on her.

In X-Factor he was a horndog whose solution to every problem was shoving his tongue in it, he was reduced to a shallow individual with good looks whose personality seem to only revolve around him being handsome, to the point of putting him naked on a cover. PAD's Gambit was all looks but no substance.

Deadpool vs Gambit was a trash fire that made no sense, heck a Z-list character like Scrambler had almost as much panel time as him.

In Soule's Astonishing he was pathetic once again, and the only time he did something cool was when he was being mind controlled by the Shadow King. Jeez! The SK used his power better than him -.-

X-men Gold depicted him as an incompetent buffoon whose ineptitude was responsible for the death of a lot of innocent people.

In X-men Red he was wallpaper for the vast majority of the series, I remember the jokes of Gambit developing a secondary mutation of being great at silently standing around in the background. He only did something cool or relevant in the last issue.

Granted, at least he wasn't focused or worried about Rogue all the time.

I'm not gonna put all the blame on Rogue nor pretend that if he wasn't married things would be going great for him, like a divorce would magically solve all his problems. That small recap shows that even when she is barely around, Gambit can still be treated like crap.

I put the blame in the the writers and editors at Marvel. IMO the fact that he is married should not be any hindrance for a competent writer. Sadly for one reason or another there has been a shortage of good capable writers that are also interested in the character, and there in my opinion is where lays the biggest problem.

Since the end of Asmus' solo till KT's R&G his character was just as badly treated as it was during the Milligan/Carey/Gage era, except this time Rogue wasn't that much around for people to put the blame on her.

In X-Factor he was a horndog whose solution to every problem was shoving his tongue in it, he was reduced to a shallow individual with good looks whose personality seem to only revolve around him being handsome, to the point of putting him naked on a cover. PAD's Gambit was all looks but no substance.

Deadpool vs Gambit was a trash fire that made no sense, heck a Z-list character like Scrambler had almost as much panel time as him.

In Soule's Astonishing he was pathetic once again, and the only time he did something cool was when he was being mind controlled by the Shadow King. Jeez! The SK used his power better than him -.-

X-men Gold depicted him as an incompetent buffoon whose ineptitude was responsible for the death of a lot of innocent people.

In X-men Red he was wallpaper for the vast majority of the series, I remember the jokes of Gambit developing a secondary mutation of being great at silently standing around in the background. He only did something cool or relevant in the last issue.

Granted, at least he wasn't focused or worried about Rogue all the time.

I'm not gonna put all the blame on Rogue nor pretend that if he wasn't married things would be going great for him, like a divorce would magically solve all his problems. That small recap shows that even when she is barely around, Gambit can still be treated like crap.

I put the blame in the the writers and editors at Marvel. IMO the fact that he is married should not be any hindrance for a competent writer. Sadly for one reason or another there has been a shortage of good capable writers that are also interested in the character, and there in my opinion is where lays the biggest problem.
    Completely agree. I am with R0d on this.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

And I'm still trying to forget him saying "Boyo" every so often.
    Make Good Art