Page 5 of 63 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by R0d View Post

I put the blame in the the writers and editors at Marvel. IMO the fact that he is married should not be any hindrance for a competent writer. Sadly for one reason or another there has been a shortage of good capable writers that are also interested in the character, and there in my opinion is where lays the biggest problem.
    Yep, I think you hit the nail right on the head here. This is the real problem Gambit has right now. Aside from Kelly Thompson I can't think of a single writer working at Marvel that actually likes the character.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Since the end of Asmus' solo till KT's R&G his character was just as badly treated as it was during the Milligan/Carey/Gage era, except this time Rogue wasn't that much around for people to put the blame on her.

In X-Factor he was a horndog whose solution to every problem was shoving his tongue in it, he was reduced to a shallow individual with good looks whose personality seem to only revolve around him being handsome, to the point of putting him naked on a cover. PAD's Gambit was all looks but no substance.

Deadpool vs Gambit was a trash fire that made no sense, heck a Z-list character like Scrambler had almost as much panel time as him.

In Soule's Astonishing he was pathetic once again, and the only time he did something cool was when he was being mind controlled by the Shadow King. Jeez! The SK used his power better than him -.-

X-men Gold depicted him as an incompetent buffoon whose ineptitude was responsible for the death of a lot of innocent people.

In X-men Red he was wallpaper for the vast majority of the series, I remember the jokes of Gambit developing a secondary mutation of being great at silently standing around in the background. He only did something cool or relevant in the last issue.

Granted, at least he wasn't focused or worried about Rogue all the time.

I'm not gonna put all the blame on Rogue nor pretend that if he wasn't married things would be going great for him, like a divorce would magically solve all his problems. That small recap shows that even when she is barely around, Gambit can still be treated like crap.

I put the blame in the the writers and editors at Marvel. IMO the fact that he is married should not be any hindrance for a competent writer. Sadly for one reason or another there has been a shortage of good capable writers that are also interested in the character, and there in my opinion is where lays the biggest problem.
    Sheesh, that was a depressing read.
    Nightcrawler’s my lad but I’ve always felt that he and Gambit have suffered from the same sort of lack of cohesive development over the years. So you have my sympathy.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thjan View Post
    Yep, I think you hit the nail right on the head here. This is the real problem Gambit has right now. Aside from Kelly Thompson I can't think of a single writer working at Marvel that actually likes the character.
    Cates doesn't seem to actively dislike him at least
    Make Good Art

Since the end of Asmus' solo till KT's R&G his character was just as badly treated as it was during the Milligan/Carey/Gage era, except this time Rogue wasn't that much around for people to put the blame on her.

In X-Factor he was a horndog whose solution to every problem was shoving his tongue in it, he was reduced to a shallow individual with good looks whose personality seem to only revolve around him being handsome, to the point of putting him naked on a cover. PAD's Gambit was all looks but no substance.

Deadpool vs Gambit was a trash fire that made no sense, heck a Z-list character like Scrambler had almost as much panel time as him.

In Soule's Astonishing he was pathetic once again, and the only time he did something cool was when he was being mind controlled by the Shadow King. Jeez! The SK used his power better than him -.-

X-men Gold depicted him as an incompetent buffoon whose ineptitude was responsible for the death of a lot of innocent people.

In X-men Red he was wallpaper for the vast majority of the series, I remember the jokes of Gambit developing a secondary mutation of being great at silently standing around in the background. He only did something cool or relevant in the last issue.

I'm not gonna put all the blame on Rogue nor pretend that if he wasn't married things would be going great for him, like a divorce would magically solve all his problems. That small recap shows that even when she is barely around, Gambit can still be treated like crap.

I agree. I’ll just point out that the brightest spots during this time was when he was with Laura. All-new Wolverine and X-men red at least treated him as a character other characters liked. Even though he didn’t appear as much in Red(he was a guest star and billed as that) he did Gambit stuff. Overall Taylor wrote him well enough and a big bonus for me: he treated his powers as something dangerous. If someone has the panel from All-new wolverine where he blows up half a skyscraper floor with a card feel free to post it =)

I like Taylor's Gambit.

KT and Taylor probably the only current 2 writers that like him.

Bunn likes him but I doubt that he will write any X book anytime soon.

Not an antagonistic response, just a response.

KT is in the same group. She wrote what she wanted, Carey's Magneto's romance, Gage's whatever he was thinking and all Milligan wanted was fart jokes. She wrote a horrible Gambit and it had everything to do with Rogue. She was more important. The focus poorly executed.

It's hard to like a character when yours is sacrificed for another character's benefit. That happened. Blame the writer all you want, nobody remembers them – they remember what the characters did because its in print. Don't think for a moment that anyone remembers anyone in a writers room for TV or Movies.

People don't know - so, it does come down to the character, it's their weight. The writers need to take better care of image, history and nuance. Understanding the story for them and still tell a tale. How's that? LOL
    Last edited by Neko; 01-12-2020 at 03:27 PM. Reason: spelling
    "My superpower? I'm irresistible to women." Gambit- ANXF #9
    Gambit's kittens: Oliver, Lucifer and Figaro: Oliver and Company.

AL1311~1.jpg

Perhaps a bit to big explosion but I love it more so because we have gotten small poof's in other comics.

Amazing Member

I totally agree with you on that.

KT never cared about Gambit. All she cared about was Rogue. As long as he was Rogue's love interest that was it. It was all about Rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    KT never cared about Gambit. All she cared about was Rogue. As long as he was Rogue's love interest that was it. It was all about Rogue.
    I don't think that's true at all. She probably likes Rogue the best of the two, but that doesn't mean she doesn't like Gambit.

I don't think that's true at all. She probably likes Rogue the best of the two, but that doesn't mean she doesn't like Gambit.
    It's not like per-say - she didn't write him. He had 'action moments' and nothing else. Outside of being married, nothing noteworthy story wise took place in any issue for Gambit. IMO.

Edit:

In the end, if you liked the mini and mmx, great. I'm glad you got enjoyment from the titles.
    Last edited by Neko; 01-13-2020 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko View Post
    Not an antagonistic response, just a response.

KT is in the same group. She wrote what she wanted, Carey's Magneto's romance, Gage's whatever he was thinking and all Milligan wanted was fart jokes. She wrote a horrible Gambit and it had everything to do with Rogue. She was more important. The focus poorly executed.

It's hard to like a character when yours is sacrificed for another character's benefit. That happened. Blame the writer all you want, nobody remembers them – they remember what the characters did because its in print. Don't think for a moment that anyone remembers anyone in a writers room for TV or Movies.

People don't know - so, it does come down to the character, it's their weight. The writers need to take better care of image, history and nuance. Understanding the story for them and still tell a tale. How's that? LOL
    I avoided talking about Thompson because we already know who is on which side and you are free to think she did an awful job with him, I'm not debating that at all, nor am I asking anyone to like Rogue either, you can hate her as much as you want.

I'm challenging the notion that a divorce is what Gambit needs and that a divorce is one of the requirements to solve Gambit's problems.

I'll say it again, what Gambit needs is a writer that likes and understands the character, because as I pointed out in my previous post he has been written like crap with Rogue around him and he has been written like crap with Rogue away from him.

There is zero guarantee that after a divorce he'll be written well, just like there is zero guarantee that if he stays married he'll be written well, no one knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    I like Taylor's Gambit.

KT and Taylor probably the only current 2 writers that like him.

Bunn likes him but I doubt that he will write any X book anytime soon.
    We also know that Rosenberg dislikes him, I don't know about the rumors about Hickman don't liking him but given his absence in HOX and POX there might be some truth there.

I avoided talking about Thompson because we already know who is on which side and you are free to think she did an awful job with him, I'm not debating that at all, nor am I asking anyone to like Rogue either, you can hate her as much as you want.

I'm challenging the notion that a divorce is what Gambit needs and that a divorce is one of the requirements to solve Gambit's problems.
    That's fair. The notion of divorce is to separate them from each other an put them on different teams without the marriage thing hanging over them when no time will be spent on the relationship that gives it any merit. I suppose they could stay married and not be in the same book. I hope that makes sense. If not, I'll try better next time. LOL

I'll agree, Gambit needs a writer. He needs one who won't put him on the back-burner while bolstering another. That has been the issue with prior writers. They lose interest, write the pet character and Gambit gets no story.

I'll say it again, what Gambit needs is a writer that likes and understands the character, because as I pointed out in my previous post he has been written like crap with Rogue around him and he has been written like crap with Rogue away from him.

There is zero guarantee that after a divorce he'll be written well, just like there is zero guarantee that if he stays married he'll be written well, no one knows.
    True enough. No guarantees. Yes, he's been written poorly with or without Rogue but some of his better representations have been without her. It's just years of drought until we get a well written Gambit.

Do we think that the scene with Apocalypse potentially seeing something in Gambit is leading to a return of the Deathbit or New Son personas, or are we expecting him to continue to fall off cliffs with his poor agility and shizz?