Page 50 of 63 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Hi, GMikey and thanks Gripstir. I will pm you.
    Send me a PM when you can

Quote Originally Posted by GMikey View Post
    If you all had the opportunity to give Gambit the story and development you feel he deserves, what would it entail?
    I’m gonna keep this one secret because I have a career goal to write Gambit at some point for Marvel

What do you like/love about the character?
    I’ve always liked characters that are smooth but just a little insecure (ex. Han Solo or Jeff Winger from Community). Also, we’re both from Louisiana.

Have you seen what you wanted represented well, in any media?
    Well, the 90’s cartoon sucks major ass and he isn’t a big player in Evolution or WatXM, and his only live action appearance was in the worst Wolverine movie, so no on non-comics stuff. In the comics, yes, but only from Nicieza, Liu, and Asmus. (NOTE: I have not listened to the second season of the Wolverine podcast, so I don’t know if he was portrayed well there.)

What do you NOT like/love about the character?
    I hate his relationship with Rogue and honestly the Guild stuff is often complete nonsense.

If there's a complaint about the character, or his development in Marvel media, what would it be?
    Writers are too reliant on him and Rogue’s relationship or they view him as a creep due to Claremont not understanding his own creation.

If you could enhance Gambit in some way, what would that be, and or entail?
    DIVORCE. You want Gambit to be an interesting and cool character again? PRAY FOR DIVORCE! It gets him out of Rogue’s orbit and into the hands of a writer who would want him because he’s Gambit and not because he’s married to Rogue. And if I’m feeling really petty about this **** (which I always am) then it shouldn’t just be a divorce but should be like OMD where everyone forgets they were ever married to begin with (but minus the devil stuff).

If you could have one wish granted, that insane fanboy/fangirl carte blanche done with Gambit's character that you'd love so much, what would it be?
    Other than DIVORCE? At this point, not a lot. But when I get an in at Marvel I’d love to be given complete control over him.

Just curious, how did Claremont not 'understand' Gambit?
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Just curious, how did Claremont not 'understand' Gambit?
    I can appreciate their statement. Um... basically Claremont didn't really realize (or knew how to) the potential Gambit has, which is why many writers have failed this character so.

One thing Gambit fans have to say, to anyone that states "Gambit never transcended the 90s" its because of poor writing, and honestly, writers even admitting they hate the character.

One thing I LOVE about our chief writer is she IS a Gambit fan, and even stated, "just as Claremont wanted to realize Jean Grey's potential, its my time now to realize Gambit's potential..."

This will serve Gambit his due justice and realize how much he can be, past ANY writer that's made it a chore to write him...

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    I’m gonna keep this one secret because I have a career goal to write Gambit at some point for Marvel

I’ve always liked characters that are smooth but just a little insecure (ex. Han Solo or Jeff Winger from Community). Also, we’re both from Louisiana.

Well, the 90’s cartoon sucks major ass and he isn’t a big player in Evolution or WatXM, and his only live action appearance was in the worst Wolverine movie, so no on non-comics stuff. In the comics, yes, but only from Nicieza, Liu, and Asmus. (NOTE: I have not listened to the second season of the Wolverine podcast, so I don’t know if he was portrayed well there.)

I hate his relationship with Rogue and honestly the Guild stuff is often complete nonsense.

Writers are too reliant on him and Rogue’s relationship or they view him as a creep due to Claremont not understanding his own creation.

DIVORCE. You want Gambit to be an interesting and cool character again? PRAY FOR DIVORCE! It gets him out of Rogue’s orbit and into the hands of a writer who would want him because he’s Gambit and not because he’s married to Rogue. And if I’m feeling really petty about this **** (which I always am) then it shouldn’t just be a divorce but should be like OMD where everyone forgets they were ever married to begin with (but minus the devil stuff).

Other than DIVORCE? At this point, not a lot. But when I get an in at Marvel I’d love to be given complete control over him.
    Let me answer this tomorrow, you make excellent points that I want to do justice to in answering

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

If you all had the opportunity to give Gambit the story and development you feel he deserves, what would it entail?

If there's a complaint about the character, or his development in Marvel media, what would it be?

If you could have one wish granted, that insane fanboy/fangirl carte blanche done with Gambit's character that you'd love so much, what would it be?
    Really good questions.

1. Yeah, like Jellyfish, I have my own ideas I don't want to give away. With that being said, there is a lot of un-tapped potential. Use his skills in ways/settings we haven't seen before.

2. I'm a sucker for the thief with a heart of gold trope. I love that he's so smooth and while he's not a genius, he's smarter/more clever than he lets on sometimes. I think he has a very unique look and powerset. I also like that he has had a villainous past and isn't your typically good guy.

3. For the most part, yes. I've loved a lot of his stories in the comics. I also liked his appearances in the cartoons, although I have my own problems with each iteration. I really liked how TAS and WatXM showed him as being a thief and a womanizer. Wolverine Origins was bad, but I still appreciate a couple things about his portrayal there.

4. I don't like how he's been shown to refer to himself in the third person. I'm kind of over the 90s look that they keep reverting him back to in the comics. I think they've done some cool updates with his look, but they never really seem to stick. I think his secretive past and tendency for brooding was interesting in the 90s, but I'm kind of tired of that aspect, personally (especially with how moody he's been in Excalibur). I want him to be a little more light-hearted.

5. I don't love how he can be written as a horn-dog sometimes, but that's usually from writers that don't really "get" him. It can come off as creepy if not done well. For TAS, I think he was a little watered down and a little creepy with Rogue at times. For WatXM, I really liked his design, but didn't love his voice acting. Hated his look in X-Men Evolution.

6. I don't think I would. One of the things I like about Gambit is his ability to succeed at things without needing a power for it. For example, some say he has a "Hypnotic Charm" as his power, but I like the idea of him just being that good with women.

7. He gets his own series on HBO. I think they would be the perfect place to have a good budget and allow for some more gritty parts of his story that I don't see Disney signing off on.
    Make Good Art

Mighty Member

1. I too like the others always imagined I'd be able to write Gambit for Marvel one day. But due to my ADHD and my issues with structure and focus I figured my best way to contribute would be as an idea man for someone competent enough to put complex things into an orderly manner and can keep track of lots of loose threads at once. From what I've heard so far I think you guys are doing a good job with the story and characters.

2. I did a poll on about page 25 of this thread and people had a lot of different answers https://linkto.run/p/EUQ2IIXX a lot of the main things were relationship friendship intelligence and personality and stuff.

I personally like the fact he's complex but is disposable enough to go to either side and can still be useful and interesting. I like his charming yet adversarial personality as well.

3. I don't think I've seen him ever displayed exactly how I wanted. Like the Xmen animated series version had that swagger and that kind of good support hero vibe. xmen evolution made him kinda a bad guy, but it did allow for the best version of a star crossed lover with rogue. It also allowed Gambit to feel like a good second in command. He appeared to be Magnetos right hand man in the series and had some big moments. Like when he brought down the spider no one else could. It was a small moment but an important one. Taylor Kirsh didn't really have Gambit's scene stealing bravado. A few of the comics have done either good story or good Gambit. I keep saying there's no definitiveGambit series or issue. He's had a lot of good ones though.

4/5. I hate how boring the thieves guild stuff is sometimes and how he seems to mess up every score he goes after. We rarely see him get away clean. I really hate his connection to the Morlock massacre. The event itself is important but I just never cared for Remys part in it or the amount of impact it had on Gambits story. He organized some guys without knowing what would happen then tried to stop it. It bugs me that they wanted to put him in that event but then thuey tried to go the safe route. I just don't feel it's a story for gambit. Maybe someone else or maybe a darker Gambit.

I want him to have some leadership capabilities but only as needed. Whenever he's put as a leader he always feels like his story is related to how much he hates being in charge, so naturally those stories get boring.

6. I think just making Gambit have more impact on major stories. Even if not the main player I want to see him be one of those characters who find a way to win against overwhelming odds. He always seems to win fights he's supposed to win and lose fights he's supposed to.

7. I'd love to make him a villain. Not an anti hero or anything, a villain. And I want to do it for a couple reasons. First because he's one of the few characters who can do both. Two a villain story often allows for a character to show power whereas a hero's journey is about vulnerability. And third, there's so much hate for Gambit by a lot of people and writers and I think that hatred has kinda bled over into hate for the general X-men . I think one thing that pisses off anti-Gambit fans is no one ever thinks Gambit is going to get his comeuppance. So they hate the character but never see him really get yelled at or judged. if he is he's often redeemed by the end. I'd love to give anti gambit fans that catharsis of getting to root against Gambit and get all that animosity out before rebuilding him with better stories later

That's been a story I've thought about making for a long time just because I know that feeling of hating a character and being forced to see my favorite characters have to fight with that character so every victory is slightly hollow.
    Last edited by Gripstir; 09-23-2020 at 12:54 PM.

Gambit needs stories where he necessary isn't the main focus but he is an active force. Making deals and setting up gambits. All his move should involve some chance. A wild strike that seperates him from other schemers. Other then that he boucnes off other characters splendidly. Often his friendships are with females. Pretty much all his relationships outside of the guild are with females. So there is no reason to break something that works.

Gambit is just someone that charms you and keeps the the story from being boring. He makes choices that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. He has no problem making a fool out of himslef to try to win Rogue's heart. Witch I think describes him well. The thief with a heart of gold. Allways in a internal battle between his different traits. Allways ready to talk himself out or into problem.

Not really. Elements here and there.

When writers dumb him down. In general there seems to be a problem with characters who are smart but not genius level. It's seems easier to group them into problem solvers and those that ask the, sometimes stupid questions, that move the story forward.
    When he's written as a emo character. While he might brood he doesn't do so when others, especially the ladies, can se it. Unless that is what works for whatever woman he is trying to seduce.

Isolated to cards. He's got such a creative power that he needs creative fights. Also the gradual limiting of his explosions. Some seem to treat them as mere nuisances.

Bring him back to a resonable power level. A typical alpha class mutant.

Just a good hustle story with Gambit pulling some crazy scheme off.
    [/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Malachi; 09-23-2020 at 01:10 PM.

Make his leadership and connections to the Thieves Guild significant within the Marvel world. Make the organization ancient, secretive, international, and yes a bit mystical. Let there be conflicts of interest between being in the Guild and serving the X-Men. Let the Guild have connections to other crime syndicates like the Hellfire Club or The Hand. Maybe sometimes they work for the X-Men? Sometimes against? Finally, answers to what his connections are to Sinister and the Black Womb project and his parentage.

His casual charisma and doggedness, pessimism, and relative comfort in the gray of life. I love how loyal he is to the few people he loves, that he lives by his own code and ultimately has a heart of gold. That he is skeptical and hides his feelings most of the time. That heroism doesn't come naturally to him. That he is always is weighing the stakes and the odds, but loves the thrill of taking a risk. That what he wants most in life are people he can trust and that can love him despite himself. That he puts on many masks to hide his true opinions and feelings. That he has many regrets, but they don't stop him from moving forward.

Not quite. All his incarnations have some correct elements, but none has the full story. *Amending because I was only thinking of the cartoons.* I think he was captured best by Claremont early on and again in X-Treme and The End, Fabian Nicieza in Gambit 1999, Marjorie Liu in X-23 and James Asmus in Gambit 2012.

When he is played to be gross or creepy toward women or as the bumbling fool and team clown. When his skills are ignored and writers consider him a joke. When his accent is too France French rather than a Southern Yat or Cajun French.

They don't have a direction for his personal character growth since he rejoined the team. They really haven't had a direction for him since his 2012 solo. I am a huge fan of his marriage to Rogue and love this development for him, but he needs purpose and interests outside of her as well.

Show the skills he has outside of throwing charged cards. He's a master thief and has all the skills that come with that. He should have extreme dexterity and agility. Also show us the creative uses of his powers, like timed charges, disintegration, charging large objects ... also it's common fanon that he has enhanced night vision and a sort of spatial or empathic awareness due to sensing the inherent potential energy in people and objects.

Give us a Gambit who is a little more dark, maybe even starts as a double agent and switches sides. Give us the epic romance with Rogue that no cartoon has quite been able to pull off.
    Last edited by AppleJ; 09-23-2020 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post

I'm a part of a massive Marvel Fan collab project, designed by fans FOR fans, to brainstorm and create stories WE want for our favorite Marvel heroes! These stories will be brought to life via animation/fanime. It DOES start them as kids (long story why) but, then there's a time skip early enough and, moving forward, they'll be young adults ^_^ I've created a preliminary thread for everyone to join in on, and discuss this project, what they'd like to see and such! Now, to answer your questions!

That's cool! Gambit has more development in this project than anything else I've really ever seen in comics, and definitely TV, and forget cinema. I think you'll like how complex he is... he's plenty cocky, witty and confident, but... there's a lot going on in his past, (not just Sinister, which is cool) and things he doesn't even remember. He's the most mysterious of the group, with more and more revealed as the story progresses.

Trust me, Gambit is a MAJOR, major player in this series. something major happens with his character, that really takes him to a whole new level, and I love every bit of it! The chief writer is a BIG Gambit fan, and stated "Just as Claremont saw potential in Jean Grey, its my time now to realize Gambit's full potential".

LOL well... its been a lot of ppl that want us to expound on his relationship with Rogue, but even then... I think you'd like what happens. Not to spoil the big thing with his character, but he does wind up separated for a good amount of time, practically going on his own solo narrative, enduring some very dark themed adventures. So in that, Rogue isn't gonna be present. The Guild is reformatted and restructured. Honestly, I think you guys will love the direction we've gone, and what's being built for the Guild.

I get it with the idea of Claremont not understanding Gambit. Its kinda like the maker of The Quiet Man (game) he didn't understand the concept of exploring the world through a deaf man. The chief writer is taking Gambit as an "antihero" and really taking to heart what that SHOULD mean. Gambit's backstory and upbringing (or lack there of) is the reason for his views and perspectives. This grants us an interesting psychological introspection of his character, and as things seemingly fall apart for him, he's whisked into a plight beyond even the most powerful, DUE to his... thin line between good and evil. It's really good.

LOL well... like I said, Gambit is removed from the team due to circumstances, and this forces him on quite a lengthy journey.

Well... who's to say that WE can't give you a platform? I know working with a rag-tag team of fans is no dream, but... in the event, you really would like full control... we have some AWESOME fan artists who'd love to illustrate fan comics, and you'd get plenty support too

Check out our discussion thread here!: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...non-think-tank

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    That's a pretty interesting art piece especially with what happened in the last Excalibur issue
    Not sure I ever stated it here but, the project I'm a part of... we've got something big in relations to this ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    1. I too like the others always imagined I'd be able to write Gambit for Marvel one day. But due to my ADHD and my issues with structure and focus I figured my best way to contribute would be as an idea man for someone competent enough to put complex things into an orderly manner and can keep track of lots of loose threads at once. From what I've heard so far I think you guys are doing a good job with the story and characters.
    You and I chat a LOT LOL I'll answer these later, but asap! Awesome suggestions tho!

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Gambit needs stories where he necessary isn't the main focus but he is an active force. Making deals and setting up gambits. All his move should involve some chance. A wild strike that seperates him from other schemers. Other then that he boucnes off other characters splendidly. Often his friendships are with females. Pretty much all his relationships outside of the guild are with females. So there is no reason to break something that works.
    Great answers! I ask these questions cuz I'm a part of a massive Marvel Fan collab project, designed by fans FOR fans, to brainstorm and create stories WE want for our favorite Marvel heroes! These stories will be brought to life via animation/fanime. It DOES start them as kids (long story why) but, then there's a time skip early enough and, moving forward, they'll be young adults ^_^ I've created a preliminary thread for everyone to join in on, and discuss this project, what they'd like to see and such!

I've been answering a LOT of comments, so bare with me, I'll get to yours tomorrow! Check out our thread below, its where I'm trying to collect as much from fans as possible

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Make his leadership and connections to the Thieves Guild significant within the Marvel world. Make the organization ancient, secretive, international, and yes a bit mystical. Let there be conflicts of interest between being in the Guild and serving the X-Men. Let the Guild have connections to other crime syndicates like the Hellfire Club or The Hand. Maybe sometimes they work for the X-Men? Sometimes against? Finally, answers to what his connections are to Sinister and the Black Womb project and his parentage.
    We've had some discussions, esp on our thread. Awesome answers, can't wait to dig into them, and will do so tomorrow

I apolgize for being an idiot and leaving out links to our primary thread: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...non-think-tank

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    Really good questions.

1. Yeah, like Jellyfish, I have my own ideas I don't want to give away. With that being said, there is a lot of un-tapped potential. Use his skills in ways/settings we haven't seen before.

2. I'm a sucker for the thief with a heart of gold trope. I love that he's so smooth and while he's not a genius, he's smarter/more clever than he lets on sometimes. I think he has a very unique look and powerset. I also like that he has had a villainous past and isn't your typically good guy.

3. For the most part, yes. I've loved a lot of his stories in the comics. I also liked his appearances in the cartoons, although I have my own problems with each iteration. I really liked how TAS and WatXM showed him as being a thief and a womanizer. Wolverine Origins was bad, but I still appreciate a couple things about his portrayal there.

4. I don't like how he's been shown to refer to himself in the third person. I'm kind of over the 90s look that they keep reverting him back to in the comics. I think they've done some cool updates with his look, but they never really seem to stick. I think his secretive past and tendency for brooding was interesting in the 90s, but I'm kind of tired of that aspect, personally (especially with how moody he's been in Excalibur). I want him to be a little more light-hearted.

5. I don't love how he can be written as a horn-dog sometimes, but that's usually from writers that don't really "get" him. It can come off as creepy if not done well. For TAS, I think he was a little watered down and a little creepy with Rogue at times. For WatXM, I really liked his design, but didn't love his voice acting. Hated his look in X-Men Evolution.

6. I don't think I would. One of the things I like about Gambit is his ability to succeed at things without needing a power for it. For example, some say he has a "Hypnotic Charm" as his power, but I like the idea of him just being that good with women.

7. He gets his own series on HBO. I think they would be the perfect place to have a good budget and allow for some more gritty parts of his story that I don't see Disney signing off on.
    I forgot to include you in my post. Awesome answers! I'm asking these questions cuz I'm a part of a massive Marvel Fan collab project, designed by fans FOR fans, to brainstorm and create stories WE want for our favorite Marvel heroes! These stories will be brought to life via animation/fanime. It DOES start them as kids (long story why) but, then there's a time skip early enough and, moving forward, they'll be young adults ^_^ I've created a preliminary thread for everyone to join in on, and discuss this project, what they'd like to see and such!

I've been replying to LOADS of comments from various platforms LOL I'll reply properly tomorrow

This is the primary thread for our brainstorming, and updates, and soon leaks: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...non-think-tank

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post

4. I don't like how he's been shown to refer to himself in the third person. I'm kind of over the 90s look that they keep reverting him back to in the comics. I think they've done some cool updates with his look, but they never really seem to stick.

Can I second all this?

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Gambit: Blue and Gold years.